Nov 1 2017 Downtown Miami or South Beach Miami hotel? pros and cons please

CA_Cruzing

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and we are flying into Miami Nov 1-4 and then embarking on our cruise.

We are trying to decide where to stay and our choices so far are JW Marriott Marquis in downtown or somewhere in Miami South Beach.

Our thoughts are the Marquis will be nicer and quieter but away from the beach, diverse restaurants and daytime fun and action. We want to experience Miami's culture and lifestyle.

Concerns are, trying to find a SB hotel that's not loud and party driven but one that has nice amenities and will be relaxing. We also do not want to be overrun by children and families (assuming that this time of year is not family vacation time anyways).

So CC people, please feedback on pros/cons of where to stay and any recommendations for either location.

If you want to be on the beach at all, Miami Beach is the best spot. Miami Beach, while a nightlife city, its not out in the middle of the streets like New Orleans. I would not be worried about not having a quite hotel, especially if you are looking at the larger nicer hotels. There are tons of options for hotels in both areas. Miami Beach is very walkable, and of course you have the beach right there.

Downtown Miami and that hotel is also a great choice, the only negative is that you would need to take a taxi/uber to the beach. Downtown is a good location as well. You can easily walk to the Brickell area, its right across the bridge there, and there are lots of places to eat and drink there. There are also some good options in the downtown side and there is also Bayside Market place, a touristy spot to catch a tour boat and a drink. Downtown is 100% more local than Miami Beach, and the food options are less chains, more local things. You will find the food options, IMO to be better on the mainland, though Miami Beach has plenty of great choices too.

If you want a more central location to move all around the city via car/transit Downtown is the better bet. If you want a location where theoretically you would never need to step in a ca, but stay in the area and you want to spend part of each day on the beach, go with Miami Beach.

The JW Marquis is right in the middle of Downtown, so it won't be very quite either. Weekday nights downtown becomes a bit sleepy outside of Mary Brickell, but for most of the day its just as busy as Miami Beach.

We often stay downtown and we do that even for a week.

Marriott Marquis is certainly a very nice option.

I would also take a look at the JW Marriott. It's a little quieter by that location.

For shopping and restaurants you have not only Mary Brickell Village but all Brickell Centre which opened late last year.

We like to walk and walk a lot. Also we will take a taxi or now we would use UBER to go over to South Beach/Miami Beach for the day.

If you like quiet I would avoid South Beach. If you go with South Beach I would find a room that overlooks the beach.

Keith

Great feedback so far. Thank you.

Question, will SB be busy during this time of year, Nov 1-4?

I haven't been to Miami in 35+ years so I'm clueless as to how busy or crazy it can be there.

So far there's good pros for each location.

Responding from above regarding JW Marriott, we prefer the Marquis for its higher service/amenities level. I'm considering SB due to ocean and beach proximity.

We fly in early evening Nov 1 and plan on arriving at our hotel by 6p for some nightlife.

We are coming from, as you may have already guessed, California. So it'll only feel like 3p to us.

Any "must-dos" while in Miami?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Firstly, let me clear one thing up: Miami nor Miami Beach is diverse.

That said, I would definitely book South Beach over downtown.

If you want quiet, stay away from the smaller, boutique places and go with the larger resorts on the beach: Loews, Shelbourne, Raleigh, Delano, Shore Club, Ritz-Carlton, W Hotel, or the SLS. You'll definitely get plenty of peace and quiet.

There are many more varieties of restaurants in South Beach than there are downtown but I will say they are catching up.

Much more to do and better walking in South Beach than downtown.

You've already gotten some great advice and I'm sure Carolyn will chime in as she actually lives downtown/Brickell.

Either way you'll have a blast!

You've already gotten some great advice and I'm sure Carolyn will chime in as she actually lives downtown/Brickell.

Did you get my email?!!!!

That said, I would definitely book South Beach over downtown.

If you want quiet, stay away from the smaller, boutique places and go with the larger resorts on the beach: Loews, Shelbourne, Raleigh, Delano, Shore Club, Ritz-Carlton, W Hotel, or the SLS. You'll definitely get plenty of peace and quiet.

There are many more varieties of restaurants in South Beach than there are downtown but I will say they are catching up.

Much more to do and better walking in South Beach than downtown.

This is a great list of the hotels on the beach! And great advice!!

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either area but to be on the beach, South Beach would be the place to go.

The Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key has a small man made beach that's nice to sit on, but you have to go into the pool to swim. I really enjoy spending time here. We do have some great hotels here in Brickell besides the Marquis. I would also look at The East Hotel at Brickell Citi Centre, the Mandarin Oriental, The Four Seasons, The W Hotel and The SLS.

I love the Brickell area obviously, I live on Brickell Ave. But when I used to come for vacation for the 16 years I lived in Naples, I would either be over at the Ritz or Loews on South Beach or The Ritz on Key Biscayne.

There is plenty of nightlife here in Brickell or in the Wynwood area. And of course tons of nightlife over in South Beach. Great restaurants are in both places.

As I read through the list it hits me that you have a wide range of hotels and a wide range of prices.

So I would recommend you think through that.

Also some hotels are located in noisy areas; some are not.

Some are large and some are not.

If price is not a concern, then my list of hotels would be Four Seasons ( we've stayed there many times). Area is quite. Not far from Mary Brickell Village and Brickell Centre, Mandarin Hotel (love the man made beach and nice little island to walk around, Ritz Carlton South Beach but a room that faces the beach/ocean and Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne (although a bit more remote). Only you know about the price point and also if you prefer the beach area of South Beach.

I have not stayed there but visited it on our recent visit and that is the new downtown East Hotel at Brickell and will consider it on our next stay. Most recently we stayed at the Epic Hotel which is right near the Marriott Marquis and enjoyed some of its amenities.

I don't recommend the W Hotel which right now is unlike most W Hotels.

Lowes and Marriott Maquis are good choices but they are large and very busy. For example the lobby area of both hotels is very busy and you also have groups that stay there and in the case of the Marquis it is also used for Pre and Post Cruises.

Like most things it all comes down to personal preference.

If you like the beach and say walking on the board walk go with South Beach. The other advantage is the quantity of restaurants.

Personally for my wife and myself we like it more quiet so we go downtown but we like to walk so in additional to walking many of the downtown areas we take a taxi or UBER over to South Beach for the day. We walk from Ocean Drive where the Art Deco Hotels are located all the way to the Fountainbleau Hotel. This includes a large stretch of boardwalk. On our way back we stop at the Holocaust Memorial, walk near the Jackie Gleason Theatre and then make our way to Lincoln Rd. Again, if we were beach people we would stay there.

I would also recommend reading reviews on Trip Advisor. We have been coming to Miami yearly since 2007 and while on the most part the Four Seasons Hotel was our go to hotel although I am very familiar with all of the hotels I have listed as we've visited them many times when we decided to change things up and stay at the Epic Hotel I used Trip Advisor as a major source to make the decision. I do the same for many hotels and restaurants in the states and in other places outside the USA.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Congratulations on 25 years of Marriage.

Keith

Any "must-dos" while in Miami?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on what you like to do and what you have done before. November is a great time to check out the Everglades, you will need a car or book a tour with transport to do that. One night of Cuban food or the very least some form of food from Latin America is a must. I would say to check out Bayside in the late afternoon and catch a 1 hour tour boat around Biscayne Bay. Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive are also must. Though don't get a meal on Ocean Drive. Its basically like eating in Times Square in NYC. If you like art at all Wynwood is another very popular spot.

• 1 month later...

The South Beach area is where we are looking for a two night stay prior to cruise on June 3. The hotels listed above are somewhat out of the price range we were looking at. We will also have a rental car. Any suggestions for hotels in the mid-price range?

The South Beach area is where we are looking for a two night stay prior to cruise on June 3. The hotels listed above are somewhat out of the price range we were looking at. We will also have a rental car. Any suggestions for hotels in the mid-price range?

What is your budget? Also, if you have a rental car, you will need to pay for parking and hotel parking can carry a hefty price tag ($40+/night for some hotels) so make sure you factor that into your decision.

If you stay on South Beach, and price is not an issue, then make a dinner reservation at The Bazaar (SLS Hotel); that was one of THE BEST meals I have ever had. In Downtown Miami, the same chef has Bazaar Mar at the SLS hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is your budget? Also, if you have a rental car, you will need to pay for parking and hotel parking can carry a hefty price tag ($40+/night for some hotels) so make sure you factor that into your decision.

We are looking for something no more than $200 per night. I have noticed the hefty parking fees on every hotel I have looked at. We will be flying into FLL and want to see some of Miami prior to cruise. It will be my husband and our twin 20 year old children. I have looked at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront, the Best Western Atlantic Beach, the Intercontinental and the Hotel of South Beach. I don't know enough about the transportation there and the cost to determine if we could get by without a rental car.

I know the thread is about the Miami area, but the week in ? 11 1-4 is also the week of Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show, It could affect availability and pricing even into the Miami area. We are sailing on the Escape on the 4 and hotel prices are already high.

• 3 months later...

Follow Up post: We booked the JW Marriott Marquis for 3 nights. I wound up using points for the entire stay.

We are planning the Everglades trip on our return to POM as Carnival offers this trip with transfer to FLL, and they manage our luggage too, so no need to rent a car.

Next up is planning things to do Thursday and Friday while in Miami.

Suggestions?

Thank you all for your help. Your feedback has been great.

Follow Up post: We booked the JW Marriott Marquis for 3 nights. I wound up using points for the entire stay.

We are planning the Everglades trip on our return to POM as Carnival offers this trip with transfer to FLL, and they manage our luggage too, so no need to rent a car.

Next up is planning things to do Thursday and Friday while in Miami.

Suggestions?

Thank you all for your help. Your feedback has been great.

Well I see you want to see Miami Culture and Lifestyle. I would suggest lunch in Little Havana one day and a trip to Wynwood to see the art scene. Either can be done via Uber or you could use the Hop on Hop Off Bus as transport plus a tour. Muesum Park is near by the hotel and an nice walk or quick and free metromover ride away. There is the modern art museum (its ok) and a great new science museum. Probably more for kids than anything, but its a cool place to check out.

I would suggest one dinner in Miami Beach and one dinner closer to the hotel in Downtown Brickell. Your hotel is in a great location and you will find more diverse and authentic restaurants on the mainland by your hotel compared to Miami Beach that is more tourist focused. Some of my favorite places to eat in Downtown include: Pollo y Jarras, Fratelli Milano, Vero Italian Restaurant, Perricone's Marketplace & Café, River Oyster Bar, Garcias (not exactly downtown but close great seafood). And there are many more to chose from. Its a great area. Check out Sugar Bar on the roof of Brickell City Centre too. Great views.

In Miami Beach you'll want to walk down Ocean Drive and see the famous buildings and maybe grab a drink, but other than that and the beach I would not suggest much more on Ocean Drive. Think of it as our Times Square, sure people want to see it, but its never suggested by a local to go hang out there and grab dinner etc..

A better spot to spend more of the evening is Lincoln Road, which is an out door pedestrian mall, lots of shops, restaurants and places to have a drink open late at night. Some of my preferred places to grab a bite to eat in Miami Beach are: Drunkin Dragon, Yardbird, Barcelonta, NaiYaRa. The restaurants in the Fountainbleau hotel are also great, but a bit more expensive. Its an interesting place to check out if you don't mind having to Uber there and back as its a large resort not in a walkable area of town.

Thank you so much, flymia. Such great suggestions and recommendations.

I'll look through the restaurants and dial in our selections. We are definitely having lunch in LH. That's a must-do for this trip.

Fully agreed on SB and its touristy nature. We prefer to go local than to be tourist trapped. We'll likely hit SB, weather permitting, for a little beach time, scope out the scene but not overspend our time there.

We're looking forward to a great trip. Thank you for all your suggestions in insight.

What we don't hit this trip, we'll hit next summer on our return to POM/Miami when we take the kids on their graduation trip.

Thank you so much, flymia. Such great suggestions and recommendations.

I'll look through the restaurants and dial in our selections. We are definitely having lunch in LH. That's a must-do for this trip.

Fully agreed on SB and its touristy nature. We prefer to go local than to be tourist trapped. We'll likely hit SB, weather permitting, for a little beach time, scope out the scene but not overspend our time there.

We're looking forward to a great trip. Thank you for all your suggestions in insight.

What we don't hit this trip, we'll hit next summer on our return to POM/Miami when we take the kids on their graduation trip.

You're welcome. And by Miami Beach being touristy, yes its more touristy than Downtown and Brickell, but locals still flock there. The part locals tend to stay away from is Ocean Drive.

You're welcome. And by Miami Beach being touristy, yes its more touristy than Downtown and Brickell, but locals still flock there. The part locals tend to stay away from is Ocean Drive.

I think SoFi tends to be a little less touristy. That's where we usually end up hanging out.