Do you think shorts are okay in the MDR for dinner?

Do you think shorts are appropriate in the MDR for dinner?  

476 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think shorts are appropriate in the MDR for dinner?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't really care

So how come women are allowed to wear shorts?

How come men can wear them for breakfast and lunch?

Is it not the same restaurant?

I notice in your picture the lady has a sleeveless shirt. She should not be allowed admittance to the dining room at any time of day dressed that way.

We had been for a walk along the beach and had just got back on the ship.

We always do room service for breakfast.

She was wearing an Egyptian cotton top with cropped trousers in that photo and i was wearing a Ralph Lauren tee shirt and shorts.

On a night time Pauline wears a different cocktail dress every night and i wear trousers and designer shirt and after going to the Diamond Lounge we either go to the MTD restaurant or a specialty restaurant.

My wife works for the British Government and she is known as the lady who is going to a wedding by their staff as she is always immaculately dressed.

43 cruises and counting.

We had been for a walk along the beach and had just got back on the ship.

We always do room service for breakfast.

She was wearing an Egyptian cotton top with cropped trousers in that photo and i was wearing a Ralph Lauren tee shirt and shorts.

On a night time Pauline wears a different cocktail dress every night and i wear trousers and designer shirt and after going to the Diamond Lounge we either go to the MTD restaurant or a specialty restaurant.

My wife works for the British Government and she is known as the lady who is going to a wedding by their staff as she is always immaculately dressed.

43 cruises and counting.

I personally think you both look fine, but that's just my opinion. I would never think to look down on you as inferior or think I had the right to tell you to go somewhere else where you will not receive service you have paid for. You didn't answer a single question though.

I personally think you both look fine, but that's just my opinion. I would never think to look down on you as inferior or think I had the right to tell you to go somewhere else where you will not receive service you have paid for. You didn't answer a single question though.

We both think women should not be treated differently than men.

On a lunchtime we usually go into the windjammer when we get back from a tour.

We never lie in the sun since my wife had a basal cell carcinoma so we are never in swimwear.

We would never look down on anyone and no one has ever looked down on us.

43 cruises and counting.

So now there's an equality issue about what is considered appropriate attire between men and women?

Sheesh. This is just getting stupid now. :rolleyes:

If you are asked a question and you are insulted all you can do is answer in an honest way.

43 cruises and counting.

Its a restaurant not a Taco Bell.

43 cruises and counting.

And there are very few restaurants, even ones much more high end that have dress codes. I can go to any red lobster or olive garden (about the equivalent to the MDR) in shorts anytime I want and not even come close to feeling out of place, and even much more high end places. The 5star dining of 10-15 or 20 years ago is gone on main lines.

So to all the anti-shorts folks on here, what do you do if someone is eating close to you in shorts?

a) Call over the head waiter/maître d' and ask them what they're going to do about it or demand they wear pants since someone is breaking the rules,

b) Stew in your growing anger for the entire meal at the ugly display of manners, or

c) Shrug your shoulders, say "meh", and enjoy your meal

So to all the anti-shorts folks on here, what do you do if someone is eating close to you in shorts?

a) Call over the head waiter/maître d' and ask them what they're going to do about it or demand they wear pants since someone is breaking the rules,

b) Stew in your growing anger for the entire meal at the ugly display of manners, or

c) Shrug your shoulders, say "meh", and enjoy your meal

How do you even know without crawling under tables? :confused:

So now there's an equality issue about what is considered appropriate attire between men and women?

Sheesh. This is just getting stupid now. :rolleyes:

It's been stupid. That is not news. Of course there is an equality issue; both genders are not held to the same standard onboard. Why should either one have preference over the other?

It's been stupid. That is not news. Of course there is an equality issue; both genders are not held to the same standard onboard. Why should either one have preference over the other?

My wife and i agree totally that men and women are treat differently when it comes to dress standard in the restaurant.Even though i never wear shorts in the restaurant as I don't think it looks right men are supposed to wear trousers but women can wear the shortest skirt with nothing said but i would never complain about either because it is up to the restaurant manager to make the judgement.

43 cruises and counting.

There is no way I would spend more than a millisecond worrying about my dining neighbor's attire. I didn't spend thousands of dollars to care about shorts or no shorts in the dining room.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

At the end of the day as long as we get our table for 2 in the MTD restaurant it is the call of the restaurant manager who he lets in and whatever they deem correct is fine by us

43 cruises and counting.

...........but what if the arm pit hair was in a French braid?..................:eek:

Like it or not the decision rests with the restaurant manager and what they decide is appropriate dress we have to accept.

43 cruises and counting.

• 3 weeks later...

You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” Oscar Wilde. (But the opposite is definitely true).

I guess it comes down to pride in your appearance, and respect for those in the environment around you. You either have these or you don't.

;)

You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” Oscar Wilde. (But the opposite is definitely true).

I guess it comes down to pride in your appearance, and respect for those in the environment around you. You either have these or you don't.

;)

That's an odd, and pompous, argument.

;)

great quote

Sigh... It seems there are a dozen of these posts a week . Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see what the big deal is in having to put on a pair of Capri pants (or khakis if you are a man).

Why is everyone so excited to wear shorts or dress so casual in a beautiful dining room? How hard is it to make a bit of effort to conform for just an hour or two? Or just wear your shorts and eat dinner at a different venue?

Obviously you can probably get away with it, but if the policies do not encourage shorts, why not slip into something slightly less casual and enjoy the occasion?

Okay, rant over and I feel better.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD

Sigh... It seems there are a dozen of these posts a week . Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see what the big deal is in having to put on a pair of Capri pants (or khakis if you are a man).

Why is everyone so excited to wear shorts or dress so casual in a beautiful dining room? How hard is it to make a bit of effort to conform for just an hour or two? Or just wear your shorts and eat dinner at a different venue?

Obviously you can probably get away with it, but if the policies do not encourage shorts, why not slip into something slightly less casual and enjoy the occasion?

Totally agree i wear shorts during the day but put trousers and shirt on at dinner.

Is it casual or just laziness of some people to make an effort and by the look of some they look as if they have worn the shorts all day.

43 cruises and counting.

Absolutely right, very good post!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app