What do you wish you'd taken and what would you leave behind?

mushroom

In August, I'll be aboard Uniworld's River Duchess sailing from Bucharest to Budapest. I plan to pack all my stuff in one carry-on bag. In addition to the river cruise, I'll spend a couple of days in Transylvania prior to sailing and a couple of extra days in Budapest at the end of the cruise. Since it's summer, I'm hoping to get by with a couple of dressy outfits, a couple of capri and shorts outfits and appropriate tops, a pair of dressy sandals and some walking shoes. This, along with all the necessary other stuff should fill my roll-aboard. Hopefully, someone else has done this and can give me valuable hints as to what they wish they'd packed, what they couldn't do without and what they could have left behind. Thanks for your input!

Check out some of the packing videos on You tube for pointers. Just remember some people dont know what they are talking about but pretend to. We used carry on luggage for our last cruise and had a packable carryon that we used for going home (checked original carryon). Going home we were not worried about delayed luggage. A good daypack/backpack is also good for the plane. Just watch weight (KLM weighed out carryon bags but others didnt). The packing cubes work great and use free travel sized items you get at hotels. Keep clothes similar colors for less packing.

I travel with just carry on luggage and am able to pack quite a bit in my 21 inch Antler Lite carry on. Started travelling overseas about 8 years ago and didn't want the worry of dealing with lost luggage so did some research on how to pack everything in a carry on bag. Decided to start with a light weight roller bag and the Antler bag had good reviews. It's also expandable and still fits the requirements if I expand it fully.

I also use packing cubes which I find keeps everything neat and orderly using a set of 3 (small, medium and large). Another item I use is a compression bag. Purchased a set of 3 but find I only use one medium bag. The one I purchased is call Pack-It Compression Sacs. Very good for packing any heavier clothing items and I use it for packing my fleece jacket along with a couple of cardigan sweaters.

Going on my first river cruise with Avalon on June 1st...can't wait:p. Enjoy your travels.

A couple of questions:

1) for river cruises--is a night light recommended?

2) Is a power strip recommended?

We are planning on getting local money at airport/ATM: is this the best?

This is our first river cruise (have done many ocean cruises). No formal wear, correct?

We are coming in June--I am thinking no shorts, correct?

Any significant packing differences from packing for ocean cruises?

Thanks!

Bill

A couple of questions:

This is our first river cruise (have done many ocean cruises). No formal wear, correct?

Thanks!

Bill

It probably would be more helpful if you give the name of the ship. Each ship, even in the same company has different fabrications depending on year built, etc.

But in general:

I don't think you need a night light.

We never bring a power strip, but you do know that you need a European converter?

Shorts -- bring one pair, maybe you'll have a warm day of cruising on the river and want to sit on the top deck and relax.

No formal wear, but there are a couple of nights when folks get a little more dressed up. Again it depends on cruise line you are considering. Some men wear sport jackets on these nights, but many do not. Ladies wear fancy tops or a nice dress.

You pack for touring comfortably. That means comfortable walking shoes for walking on the cobblestone European streets. Comfortable, yet neat clothes, you are not dressing for a "resort", you are dressing for touring the cities you are visiting. Always bring a waterproof rain jacket, we like Gortex. The tours go rain or shine.

I have been on 40+ Ocean cruises and 1 River Cruise (last year).........I packed way differently for the River Cruise.

I sailed in April 2016 and the weather was cool/cold and I wore long pants and long sleeves with a sweater or jacket

every day. I also recommend supportive walking shoes. So, if you were to compare this cruise to a Caribbean cruise........

daytime to the Caribbean is a pair of shorts/capri's and a top or bathing suit.......daytime on the River Cruise, I think I

may have packed 1 pair of shorts and never wore them.

No formal wear for the evenings. I normally would change my clothes though.......after touring all day, I am one of those

people who showers and changes.........I would put on a pair of black pants and top (for example).......

Oh, I LOVED my River Cruise:).....next year is my BIG 60 and I am trying to figure out what cruise to book!

A couple of questions:

Thanks!

Bill

Bill,

I highly recommend zip off pants from either Columbia or Eddie Bauer. They are generally light weight and dry quickly if wet or if you wash them out. You can convert them to shorts in 5 seconds and the leg portion easily fits into a daypack if it gets warm during an afternoon tour. Make sure you get ones with at least on zip pocket as this gives you a little added protection against pick pockets as well. I usually go with three pair and make sure at least one is dark then they can even be used for dinner with a button up shirt or nice polo. They're great for months like June where it could be anywhere from cool to hot in the same day.

Brian

For me packing doesn't change much, no matter the type of holiday.

Clothes that can

Be worn casual or formal

Mix and match

Layers.

The one thing I think is a must for a River Cruise is binoculars.

We are on a 23 day Viking cruise right now our first, we have been on 36 ocean cruises. We are in a suite but still small (275 Sf)and very little storage after 4 days we have decided this is not for us! It's way to structured we like anytime dining and on the river cruise you eat at set times and no room service you miss your meal time you don't eat! the staff has been great but this is not our cup of tea! And very pricey for what you get!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me packing doesn't change much, no matter the type of holiday.

Clothes that can

Be worn casual or formal

Mix and match

Layers.

The one thing I think is a must for a River Cruise is binoculars.

Thanks mr. cruise wannabe!

We are on a 23 day Viking cruise right now our first, we have been on 36 ocean cruises. We are in a suite but still small (275 Sf)and very little storage after 4 days we have decided this is not for us! It's way to structured we like anytime dining and on the river cruise you eat at set times and no room service you miss your meal time you don't eat! the staff has been great but this is not our cup of tea! And very pricey for what you get!

Good morning, sorry you are not enjoying yourselves. I have a couple of questions...you said it is your first River Cruise....

1) did you research the dining part? I have been on 1 River Cruise and LOVED IT:).....but the other question,

did you decide on such a long cruise as your first one for a specific reason? Maybe a shorter one would have been

better to "try something different"?........I went for a week last year for a cruise called "TULIPTIME"....it was 1 year

ago this week!.......it was simply FABULOUS:D..

I think most River Cruises have "set dining times"....hope the next 2.5 weeks get better for you.

A couple of years ago, a list member blogged extensively about her Viking Amsterdam to Budapest cruise, and she had posts about what worked and didn't work. Go to the link below and scroll down for a couple of posts describing her "hits and misses." I disagree with her on "small binoculars," but everyone is different.

https://rivercruisenewbie.wordpress.com/2014/09/

Mushroom,

Not on a river cruise but on many land trips: Expect the weather to be warm to hot in Eastern Europe. When I lived in Europe, I never wore shorts always a skirt. Now I bring washable hiking capris from L.L.Bean. They dry over night. I just don't like sitting on bare legs in transportation that is used by everybody.

I always bring a thin foldable rain jacket and a thin cardigan and scarf that I wear on the plane, one pair of sneakers, one pair of walking sandals. I wear long pants on the plane. No 'dressy' outfits, black bottom and some good looking shirt on top must do for all occasions. Sometimes a nice scarf is added.

Enjoy your cruise!

I read the list from the link above. She travelled from the Netherlands (often windy) through Germany (totally unpredictable weather) to Budapest and took more long pants than I ever took on any trip anywhere. :D There is one item she took that I find useful: a sleeveless vest. Keeps your core warm without bulking up the sleeves of your rain jacket/wind breaker. Evenings also tend to be much cooler than day times. I like a long sleeved blouse with a woolen sleeveless vest and a pashmina scarf.

That is certainly a long cruise to commit to for a first time river cruise! I enjoy river cruising but could not handle 23 days. 7-10 days is our maximum and our first was 5 days. More research would have shown you that river cruising is quite different from ocean cruising, and there are also - IMO - significant differences between lines.

Some lines have more dining flexibility than others. Sounds like Viking does not.

I hope it gets better for you!

We've never needed one. Lots of ships have soft bathroom light.

We are heavy on electronics--2 computers, 2 phones, 2 Kindles, and phone battery charger. So we do bring a small travel power strip. I bought a six pack of adapters from Amazon for $9. Even if you have extras, some of your fellow travelers will appreciate being able to borrow one.

Adapters: https://www.amazon.com/American-European-Germany-Adapters-Certified/dp/B0058EG0KC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1491759314&sr=8-20&keywords=european+adapter

Power strips: https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_1_4_hso_sc_smartcategory_2?rh=n%3A6396121011%2Ck%3Atravel+power+strip&keywords=travel+power+strip&ie=UTF8&qid=1491759341&sr=8-4-acs

I always do ATMs and get good rates.

I took a sport coat on our first river cruise. We're taking our sixth in a couple of weeks, and haven't taken a jacket since number one.

If it's warm you'll see people in shorts during the day, but the general rule is long pants in the evening.

Hope this is helpful.

For river cruises -- is a night light recommended?

LED Tea Light - last about 7 days

Instead of turning on the bathroom light in the middle of the night,

my DW likes to keep one of these lit over the toilet, so I may find me way. :)

lg_item_8288_3.jpg

Edited by $hip$hape

Some non-US carriers, Lufthansa for one, limit the weight of carry-ons. And they frequently weigh those bags.

So true. My husband and I were flying Air Canada with just carry on bags. We were actually in the tunnel, boarding the plane and there was an Air Canada rep with a scale stopping people to weigh their bags. They flagged me....weighed my bag and it was way under. My husband's bag was actually heavier than mine but they didn't weigh his. Found it interesting that they assumed the woman's bag was heavier! I always make sure my bag is well within the requirements.

LED Tea Light - last about 7 days

Instead of turning on the bathroom light in the middle of the night,

my DW likes to keep one of these lit over the toilet, so I may find me way. :)

lg_item_8288_3.jpg

We use these, too, including several to light the way in a large Regent Seven Seas stateroom, and a multi-level cave hotel room in Turkey.

Mushroom,

I will be doing that same itinerary in September on the River Duchess.

I've only taken one river cruise, but I observed in European cities that women don't wear shorts or capris. I didn't bring any, and wouldn't have felt comfortable in them if I had.

Roz

Hi Roz:).....when I sailed to Med back in 2012 (that was on Celebrity) it was May and plenty of us wore capri's/crops

and shorts during the day......I never felt out of place and long pants would have been way too warm for touring

(in my opinion).