What do you wish you'd taken and what would you leave behind?

mushroom

There are walking sandals you can invest in sold by various European brands that are fine for walking the cobblestone streets. Ecco and Mephisto are two brands that I've had success with. They are stylish also so I wear them to dinner with a skirt or pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been cruising since age 3 (55 years) and going on my first River Cruise with AMA this June. Never wanted to take the flight over there to get on a ship! But we love wine so we decided to try one. We are doing the Bordeaux Cruise on the AMADolce.

There are walking sandals you can invest in sold by various European brands that are fine for walking the cobblestone streets. Ecco and Mephisto are two brands that I've had success with. They are stylish also so I wear them to dinner with a skirt or pants.

I agree that for warm weather travel, sandals are the way to go. As OP indicates, there are styles available that are sturdy for touring and dressy enough for a nice evening--assuming one is not a fashion victim, of course. This allows for switching one's touring shoes without packing an extra pair. Because they don't take up much room, I generally also pack a pair of good flip-flops to wear on non-dressy evenings. ("Rainbow" brand highly recomended.) Okay, my feet like variation!

I'd love to be able to walk in sandals, but I have the feet of the princess and the pea. Not only do I feel every grain of sand, but the blister too. So I wear sandals (Finn Comfort) only when I'm not walking much.

Okay I know I over pack loads of underwear a couple of mix and match evening outfits, this year due to time of year easier light weight day outfits also mix and match suitable for time of year but over the years I have cut down on my shoes mostly because I can't wear heels anymore (bo-hoo) arthritic knees etc. I now take one or two light weight pairs for evening and will be trying Sketchers for walking around I used to take my Italian walking boots which are a bit heavy and have worn them flying to the US to save weight in the past hopefully it will work. Mind you I have pinched space in my husbands case in the past but 15 days this year so not to sure if I'll get away with this ploy. Happy cruising CA

If there's something that makes you feel comfy, cozy, bring it. One cruise I left my sweatshirt home, thinking my sweater & jacket would suffice. I kicked myself for not bringing that snugly sweatshirt just bc it was bulky & some would say, redundant to the sweater & jacket! It's now the first think I pack so I can feel comfortable in cool climates.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have arthritis in my feet and have tried many different walking shoes. For me, the GoWalks from Sketchers are the best. Walking the very uneven cobblestones in the old town of Lisbon this past fall was the real test. I will be getting another pair in a different color for our Amsterdam to Budapest cruise this summer.

A couple of years ago, a list member blogged extensively about her Viking Amsterdam to Budapest cruise, and she had posts about what worked and didn't work. Go to the link below and scroll down for a couple of posts describing her "hits and misses." I disagree with her on "small binoculars," but everyone is different.

https://rivercruisenewbie.wordpress.com/2014/09/

Thank you so much for sharing this link. I really enjoyed reading her posts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been cruising since age 3 (55 years) and going on my first River Cruise with AMA this June. Never wanted to take the flight over there to get on a ship! But we love wine so we decided to try one. We are doing the Bordeaux Cruise on the AMADolce.

We've sailed Ama twice, you won't be disappointed.

Great food and wines, tour guides and staff. Varied itineraries for all tastes and walking abilities.

Ama Legro Paris-Normandy in 2013

Ama Prima Vilshofen to Budapest in 2015

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To each his or her own.

On a European river cruise, binoculars is a " must have " don't you think? A small 10x25 travel binocs for use as you cruise, and also for shore excursions for picking out details on buildings, close ups of scenery, etc. Most good quality ones like Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Pentax, weigh less than 6 oz. Get the armor covered waterproof ones for just a little more,money.

And, go commando to save overall weight. ;)

Hope you enjoy your cruise!