Did you know Celebrity can "bump" you from your cabin?

p18750

DW and I were on the first part of a B2B and almost ready to move to our new cabin. A woman came to our cabin and told us that she would be in the cabin for the next cruise. Asked if she could leave some things in the safe and we said of course she could. Told us that she was a TA and had booked the cabin for both her cruises some time ago. We booked after her and that cabin was clearly available. Obviously a mistake made by Celebrity. Our loyalty level probably trumped her TA status and she was assigned a cabin in the same category. She was very understanding and realized that we were never told about the situation.

Oh my goodness, this reminds me of a Royal repo from Boston to Miami a number of years ago. We were doing a b2b on the Jewel and had to change cabins between. Not long before our cruises, a sweet cabin on the hump for repo leg opened up and we called our TA and grabbed it.

Long story short, as we were unpacking again, there was a knock on our door and some arrogant, belligerent jerk walked in and told us we stole his cabin. We were shaken to the core. Apparently there was a computer glitch and we caught it at the right time. In hindsight we should have reported him to Guest Relations as this guy stalked us the whole cruise. With good reason he was upset but his anger should not have been focused on us.

Charles look for to seeing you and Cyndee Sunday on the Silhouette.

Edited by Oville

Just to clarify the facts....

The first person to notify our April 16 Eclipse roll call of the bump had a balcony GTY cabin and extensive plans following the cruise. The substitution offered included a GS upgrade and OBC but was unsatisfactory as it severely impacted the post-cruise planning and expenses causing them to disembark the itinerary early.

The second person to notify the roll call had an assigned Concierge level cabin assigned. They were offered three other TA options but at this time have not accepted any of them. They also mentioned they may instead accompany friends on another cruise line departing the day prior to the transatlantic sailing.

Both cruisers had Express Passes and luggage tags prior to the Celebrity phone call.

Neither the travel agents or contacts with the Captains Club management have brought any resolution as the cruise line has not backed down from the decision. No one on the roll call reported that they were contacted with move-over offers prior to the involuntary bumping of these two roll call members.

I have had experience with very favorable move-over offers, but never in over 30 cruises with involuntary bumping. Additionally confounding, I am very surprised that we have suddenly had an influx of new people joining our roll call. My assumption at this point is that someone charged with final cabin assignments was asleep on the job at Celebrity and screwed up. What a mess and how disappointing for those involved.

Hello Everyone,

I am the second example Kitcito in the post above. This is my 15th anniversary cruise with my wife. So to fill you in on what has happened lately.

Wednesday afternoon I checked my Celebrity Reservation page to make sure everything was cancelled and finish up all the paperwork for documentation sake. When I logged in I still had the reservation so I clicked on the manage reservation tab and low and behold I had a cabin assigned now. The booking before didn't have a cabin assignment.

So I called the Captains club line again and spoke with the same manager "Ashley" as to why is my reservation not canceled since Celebrity sent my "online TA" the cancelation letter? And also why do I have a cabin assignment now when I didn't Monday night when you cancelled my cruise and bumped me?

Ashley was very confused and put me on hold. On my first call to Ashley she put me on a waitlist of some sort she said so she could only assume that they found a cabin. So in the mean time we booked another cruise that our friends were on to join them.

So now I have two cruised booked and paid for. The Captains Club Manager "Ashley" said that they would refund the second cruise cost to me and for now we are back on the Transatlantic Cruise leaving Sunday. This whole experience has me quite upset.

I understand that the cruise industry oversells cabins but for the life of me can't understand why this happened 5 day's before sailing. And how did they suddenly come up with more rooms? Two of the 3 cruisers that were bumped and reported this on the "Roll Call" have now been put back on the ship for the sailing.

My worry is now someone else has gotten bad news that they have been cancelled and ruined there plans at the last minute like they did originally with me. Even thought we are back on the cruise It's now the same, I'm not to excited about going now. I am happy that I can celebrate my 15th wedding anniversary on board with my lovely wife but at the expense of who.

Sorry for rambling on but this whole experience has really messed with my head and emotions.

Kitcito

Hello Everyone,

I am the second example Kitcito in the post above. This is my 15th anniversary cruise with my wife. So to fill you in on what has happened lately.

Wednesday afternoon I checked my Celebrity Reservation page to make sure everything was cancelled and finish up all the paperwork for documentation sake. When I logged in I still had the reservation so I clicked on the manage reservation tab and low and behold I had a cabin assigned now. The booking before didn't have a cabin assignment.

So I called the Captains club line again and spoke with the same manager "Ashley" as to why is my reservation not canceled since Celebrity sent my "online TA" the cancelation letter? And also why do I have a cabin assignment now when I didn't Monday night when you cancelled my cruise and bumped me?

Ashley was very confused and put me on hold. On my first call to Ashley she put me on a waitlist of some sort she said so she could only assume that they found a cabin. So in the mean time we booked another cruise that our friends were on to join them.

So now I have two cruised booked and paid for. The Captains Club Manager "Ashley" said that they would refund the second cruise cost to me and for now we are back on the Transatlantic Cruise leaving Sunday. This whole experience has me quite upset.

I understand that the cruise industry oversells cabins but for the life of me can't understand why this happened 5 day's before sailing. And how did they suddenly come up with more rooms? Two of the 3 cruisers that were bumped and reported this on the "Roll Call" have now been put back on the ship for the sailing.

My worry is now someone else has gotten bad news that they have been cancelled and ruined there plans at the last minute like they did originally with me. Even thought we are back on the cruise It's now the same, I'm not to excited about going now. I am happy that I can celebrate my 15th wedding anniversary on board with my lovely wife but at the expense of who.

Sorry for rambling on but this whole experience has really messed with my head and emotions.

Kitcito

Enjoy your cruise, I willtry -too.-bumped to April 17 the serenade of the seas.

Had to fight to disembark at Le Havre and not get a $65.00 charge

Took 3 phone calls

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been a NCL cruiser for a while. I was looking to try a different cruise line next year. Phew! This turns me off! I hope this is a one time thing and not a example of their Standard Operating Procedure.

If this has ever happened before, I have not read about it on Cruise Critic. I tend to think somebody got out over their skis at Celebrity and didn't follow proper procedure on how to do this when the cruise was oversold. Hopefully it is a one-time event never to be repeated!

We just got notified by our travel agent today that we had been bumped from our cabin on the Transatlantic cruise from Miami to Southampton leaving on April 16. We booked this several months ago, had a cabin assignment, printed our Xpress pass, received luggage tags and our bags were packed but Celebrity has now given our cabin to someone else.

I had no idea this was even possible but apparently this is happening to several people on this cruise.

I, too, am on this Sunday Eclipse departure doing a b2b with Norway. A bit worried by the reports of bumps, I contacted the Captain's Club to ensure I was still confirmed with our original (and carefully selected) cabins. The original Representative was unclear on my request or of any possible way there could be a "bump" on Celebrity. She placed me on hold, and when she returned this was the info she shared from the "resolutions" department. She said, "we never simply tell someone they no longer have a cabin. We offer compensation and an alternate solution. If the customer is not interested or capable of making a change, they keep their cabin and we move to someone else." Obviously, this stands in contradiction with what our fellow board members have experienced. We cruise extensively with Celebrity-four more this year. I'm disappointed that they have not provided clarity on this matter here on cruise critic where dialogue from some of their most loyal patrons takes place. Missed opportunity considering the current spotlight on travel-related involuntary bumps.

Good point, appreciate you following up and getting Celebrity's point of view

That's always been the case as far as I know

Maybe in this case, the rep didn't understand the policy, but I never heard of anyone being bumped without them agreeing to an alternate path for travel, and/or some type of compensation.

The only thing I've seen in the past is when people have unrealistic expectations on compensation and turn down offers (which I don't think is true in this cast as the poster seems 100% upfront and realistic that she just want to go on the cruise she paid for).

I'm really hoping that P18750 hears some great news back from Celebrity today and that she is heading out on her TA this week

All I can say is that cruising used to be much easier ...so many new issues of concern, and things to watch out for. Celeb was a superior small cruise co...now just average now that it has been " Royalized"

We had booked a Concierge Class cabin on Celebrity Infinity. Cabin 6135. There are four of the same type Concierge Class cabins that flank the Royal Suites. They moved us to another Concierge class cabin, but it was on Deck 9 and just a regular size balcony. We had selected 6135 15 months in advance because of the super large balcony. what was upset us the most was that they lied to us

I had my TA book this cabin for a cruise I was on.

You took the Royal Screw on this one.

That balcony is great.

As a first time Celebrity cruiser (in Aug.) this is interesting and concerning to me. I took quite awhile selecting my cabin, even choosing the Alaska dates for when the cabin I wanted was available. I asked my TA if I might be offered an up-sell, or up-grade (like Princess) and was there a way to mark it meta upgrade only. Her response was that once you book with celebrity, they NEVER move you. I think we shall have another chat before final payment in a couple of weeks!

The TA should have added - only if Celebrity has open cabins at a certain time before the cruise.

AND

Only if I watch and work with my Celebrity rep to get you an upgrade without cost to you.

The Cruise lines do not want a ship to sail with open cabins.

They may over book as some large groups may request more cabins than they have available.

This thread is very disturbing! While we have heard of many cases of entire cruises being canceled for charters...this generally happens far in advance. And there are also numerous cases of folks getting bumped because of a large group booking...but this also happens months in advance. This last minute stuff makes no sense! Unfortunately, as the recent United Airlines fiasco shows, the travel agency will peck away at travelers/cruisers rights until people start to fight back (legally). Cruisers are now starting to fight back, but its slow going. There is one well-known Florida attorney who even has a web site (where he posts lots of interesting stories about cruise lines) and takes cases where a cruiser wants to pursue legal action. There is another group (International Cruise Victims Association) which is dedicated to helping folks who have been the victim of a major crime on cruise ships (this group was started by a man who lost his daughter (she simply disappeared) on a Celebrity Cruise).

The cruise lines/industry used to be very consumer oriented and could not do enough to resolve complaints, booking issues, etc. But times have changed and now the bottom line seems to trump all other factors. It is a darn shame (and just WRONG) that the OP should have to suffer all this anxiety during a pre-cruise period when he/she should be on a "mental high" and excited about an upcoming cruise vacation.

Hank

Hello Everyone,

Kitcito[/quote

Hi I don't know if I helped but Inwas so upset when I read what happened to,you that I emailed head office about it and mentioned that CNN travel might be interested in Celebrity bumping a couple on their fifteenth wedding anniversary. I have sailed on a TA and know the amount of planning that goes into one. Anyway they were wrong and you should go and have a drink for me as I can't go on long cruises anymore. Cheers,Kathi

I understood the concept of overbooking back when airline tickets were like cash, and you could skip a flight and use that ticket for any other flight, walking up to the counter 2 hours before the flight. Now with non-refundable tickets, where every seat they are going to sell is sold and they have the money already there is no reason or excuse for overbooking.

The cruise industry has a similar situation with final payment, non-refundable, 45 to 90 days before the cruise. There is no reason to overbook, ever.

Not so. There are many economy tickets on any flight that are not in the cheapest category and are fully refundable, and many passengers who have such tickets don't show up due to last minute changes in plan; this would be particularly businessmen who are notorious for last minute not showing up and who buy refundable tickets just for that reason. So the logic of overbooking has not changed.

Not so. There are many economy tickets on any flight that are not in the cheapest category and are fully refundable, and many passengers who have such tickets don't show up due to last minute changes in plan; this would be particularly businessmen who are notorious for last minute not showing up and who buy refundable tickets just for that reason. So the logic of overbooking has not changed.

The cruise line res should be considered firmly fixed once final payment is made and accepted

United and its airport police gave new meaning to being Bumped...literally, in the head, body etc...such a lack of respect for customers.

No logic I can see to physically remove a passenger who has been checked in & boarded

It never ocurred to me that this could happen. I hope some representative from Celebrity could post an explanation. I do believe that Celebrity is a serious company. Why would they like to hurt their reputation and be at the level of other companies who are on the news at this time facing legal demands?

In 2004 a very large land tour operator cancelled a tour we booked in Italy. Our TA was known by its three initials. No concessions were offered, and as we had scheduled vacations and had booked flights, we made our own arrangements. It was a giant pain, although we had a great time in Italy. When we came back, we had to fight to get our refund, and when they paid, they held back a "cancellation fee." Eventually we got every penny back, but not a single other benefit, like a discount on a future tour. Our TA was next to worthless, and we have not used them again.

I'm sympathetic with the hassle these folks are now going through.

When we came back, we had to fight to get our refund, and when they paid, they held back a "cancellation fee." Eventually we got every penny back, but not a single other benefit, like a discount on a future tour.

Cancellation fee??!!?? That's way beyond bad. :mad:

Does anyone know if trip insurance would cover this?????

I would assume that insurance would cover this situation but who knows.

I've read through the whole thread and I just keep thinking - Celebrity, you've got to be kidding.

I also, like others, hope you are able to completely recover ALL your costs.clear.png?emoji-mad-1709

Hello Everyone,

Kitcito[/quote

Hi I don't know if I helped but Inwas so upset when I read what happened to,you that I emailed head office about it and mentioned that CNN travel might be interested in Celebrity bumping a couple on their fifteenth wedding anniversary. I have sailed on a TA and know the amount of planning that goes into one. Anyway they were wrong and you should go and have a drink for me as I can't go on long cruises anymore. Cheers,Kathi

Niagrawine,

Thank you for the support and email. I'm sure we will never know what really happened on this fiasco. But I would like to find out how many people got the same call the three here on cruise critic did on being bumped.

Kitcito