If you couldn't cruise Carnival, who would you cruise with?

Riles34

How old are the kids? Mine were 11 and 9 when we first went and they actually preferred Celebrity. They said the kids were more well behaved than on Carnival. Honest to God truth. Their words, not mine. My nieces were even younger.

They're only 5 and 8 so think they still need things like Dr. Seuss and water parks and more of a kid/family focus. They can't wait for their Vista cruise this summer. Good to know that kids can have fun on Celebrity, especially once they get to tween/ teen years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't convince DH to try another line and I've tried. He's one of those people that likes things familiar and things that aren't familiar can get his anxiety going. I've considered RCL and Norwegian and as I get older, Celebrity but I think to try another line, I'm going to have to go alone. :(

• 3 weeks later...
NCL. So far, we've cruised Carnival because of price and proximity to ports NY, Boston, & Baltimore. Now the prices have gone up, and no cruises out of Boston, and limited NYC cruises and same old same old Baltimore cruises. NCl has better prices right from our home port and interesting itineraries for us. 2018 & 2019 NCL.
Oh come on Bill and Christine, join us for the Horizon inaugural. Would love to stalk you guys again through all the ports. We were going to do the TA but circumstances changed for us and we rebooked the inaugural for the Horizon. whatever you do have a great time.

Tom and Denise

NCL! I have learned that I'm an NCL type of cruiser. I like Carnival....but I love NCL. I like the dining options, entertainment, freestyle/casual atmosphere, price (included value of adult beverage program), varied itineraries (I don't want to have to pull my kids out of school for a Carnival journeys cruise in order to go to varied ports when I can choose NCL which goes to varied ports all the time)

I love Carnival, and because I'm afraid that I'll spend $3000 and think, "Sure wish I'd just planned a Carnival cruise", I tend to just stay with them. I'm that person at a restaurant that usually orders the same thing because I know it's going to be good.

However, I'm going way out of my comfort zone and taking a cruise on the MSC Seaside for spring break 2019. We've never taken the girls on a Spring Break cruise because of the prices, but we couldn't pass up a $2500 getaway on what looks like a beautiful and different ship.

I am constantly looking at cruises on RCI and NCCL, though. We do enjoy the shows so I know we'd appreciate the entertainment. I don't think I'd have a bad cruise on either of those lines, which is why I keep reading review after review. Just trying to reassure myself! ;)

I have cruise on RCI (only 2 cruises) and love their ships! I do find their ship's layout and food a little better. But Carnival is a fun cruise line and the itineraries are better.......and the fact their price is a lot better than RCI.....

I've been on 6 cruises all with Carnival and have never had anything bad to say. (I refuse to be a victim) I am curious as to what other cruise line would have the same style and vibe as CCL so I can branch out. This is the place to ask all the experienced cruisers after all. I mainly cruise the Caribbean as I live in Vermont and need the warm blue ocean.

MSC and Princess but RCL will be more like Carnival.

MSC and Princess but RCL will be more like Carnival.

Interestingly, I thought that Carnival was closer to MSC than to Royal. I personally consider Carnival and Royal to be on diverging paths these days and, at least when comparing the new ships and what they offer down to the little details, are completely different products.

Our last cruise was on the Celebrity Eclipse as will be our next cruise. We are moving away from Carnival and found that on the Eclipse we got back most of Carnivals cut backs. We will still cruise Carnival but less often. We have another B2B on the Ecstasy next January...

Royal Caribbean without a doubt. Im pretty critical of them as of late but the truth is, Im familiar with their ships and the line in general. I do like Carnival food options better, including the steakhouse and their drinks are cheaper but RC's entertainment and ships are second to none.

Other than that, I dont really see the big differences in the two that Tapi does. Way more alike than different to me. JMO

Id also like to try MSC Davina and Celebrity solstice class one day.

I also cruised on the Jewel of the Seas for a California Coastal that was spectacular. It might have been the ship or itinerary (or cost), but the passengers were middle-aged and up and I didn't notice a hint of the family-friendly energy I've heard RCCL is known for. The energy was much more quiet and I didn't mind at all. The ship was beautiful!

<snip>

I wish I could find a line that has good energy, lots of fun things to do, but still has those classy and upscale touches.

One thing you have to realize about RCI is, they are like 2 different cruise lines in one. Cruising RCI's Vision and Radiance Class ships is nothing like cruising Voyager Class and newer. If you're looking for good energy on a beautiful ship, take a closer look at Oasis or Quantum Class.

Same with NCL. They totally rebranded themselves with Breakaway. I recently cruised Escape and loved it....which was a relief because I hated the Dawn and Sky.

I happen to think the Radiance class of RC is the perfect cruise ship! Not too small but not too big and they are absolutely breath taking gorgeous. Even classier than the new behemoths of the seas.

168373_1586934108903_2629975_n.jpg?oh=e7261d04d0647342ce0669a1290ab727&oe=59B5C5F3

181536_1586934028901_6240996_n.jpg?oh=0182c21d32f429ca0d50478657c7499d&oe=59866024

181507_1586933668892_46834_n.jpg?oh=2f6c2deaaec18bc9815cc3c333f574ba&oe=59780478

182796_1586933748894_3638654_n.jpg?oh=a383f735e6c95f5ba9c4b63e9088ac62&oe=59838B4A

I've been on 6 cruises all with Carnival and have never had anything bad to say. (I refuse to be a victim) I am curious as to what other cruise line would have the same style and vibe as CCL so I can branch out. This is the place to ask all the experienced cruisers after all. I mainly cruise the Caribbean as I live in Vermont and need the warm blue ocean.

Howdy neighbah! I'm not sure if any other line has the same style and vibe as CCL since they do try to set themselves apart. I did enjoy my cruises on NCL but have to say I'm put off by the new CEO that took over a couple years ago and the changes he has made. I would like to try all of the mainstream lines at least once, but right now I'm not willing to pay substantially more than what CCL is charging. Maybe when I retire and have more freedom to sail on short notice I might be able to take advantage of last minute fare cuts.

They are all about the same. Some things are better on Carnival, some better on other lines. I sail for itinerary and good value. I would go on NCL, RCL, PRINCESS. It will be similar.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Other than that, I dont really see the big differences in the two that Tapi does. Way more alike than different to me. JMO.

I guess the difference is in the details, some smaller and some bigger, and how important those details are to someone.

I notice major differences in ship design and decor, entertainment, past guest perks, children's program and facilities (this was HUGE for us when my kids were smaller and steered us towards Royal), stateroom category and variety, suite perks, use of technology, type of activities, regions of the world where they sail to and itineraries, and marketing. As mentioned before, some of these things may be important to some, but for people who don't care about these differences, then the cruise lines will seem more alike than different.

Sometimes the differences are more subtle. I remember when I sailed on Holland for the first time. For a few days, I was scratching my head, trying to figure out what was so special and different about them. And that's when my 70 year old mother (who has an eye for details) pointed out the fresh flowers, the white gloved service, the room service delivered in fine china, the laundry delivered in tissue paper with a gold seal in a wicker basket, the throw blankets for balcony use, the quality of toiletries and linens, the unobtrusive announcements, the dining staff etiquette, etc. These were small details that were very important to my mother, but that went completely unnoticed by me until someone pointed them out. If someone had asked me before my mother pointed these things out, I would've told you that Holland was more alike than different as well.

I guess the difference is in the details, some smaller and some bigger, and how important those details are to someone.

I notice major differences in ship design and decor, entertainment, past guest perks, children's program and facilities (this was HUGE for us when my kids were smaller and steered us towards Royal), stateroom category and variety, suite perks, use of technology, type of activities, regions of the world where they sail to and itineraries, and marketing. As mentioned before, some of these things may be important to some, but for people who don't care about these differences, then the cruise lines will seem more alike than different.

Sometimes the differences are more subtle. I remember when I sailed on Holland for the first time. For a few days, I was scratching my head, trying to figure out what was so special and different about them. And that's when my 70 year old mother (who has an eye for details) pointed out the fresh flowers, the white gloved service, the room service delivered in fine china, the laundry delivered in tissue paper with a gold seal in a wicker basket, the throw blankets for balcony use, the quality of toiletries and linens, the unobtrusive announcements, the dining staff etiquette, etc. These were small details that were very important to my mother, but that went completely unnoticed by me until someone pointed them out. If someone had asked me before my mother pointed these things out, I would've told you that Holland was more alike than different as well.

Interesting reply, agree with some and not so much on other parts (what's new right?). I would agree that RCCL and Carnival have different thoughts on new ships and features. I found your comments on HAL most interesting, some day have to try them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like you(OP) I have always enjoyed Carnival. The first cruise we took we ran into a Hurricane, and lost ports, BUT had a great time. It is what YOU make of it!!. Missed ports on another cruise as well, but always a good time. I would love to cruise all the lines to be honest, but really want to check out what Princess has to offer!!

Other than that, I dont really see the big differences in the two that Tapi does. Way more alike than different to me. JMO

I'm on Team Tapi with this one. ;)

Admittedly, I've only cruised Carnival once, but certainly will do more in the future. Otherwise, I have multiple cruises on RCI, Celebrity, NCL, Princess, and Holland America. I'm an attention-to-details person, mostly in ambiance and design. I honestly don't feel as though any of the cruise lines I've sailed are more alike than different. In fact, that's a Cruise Critic cliche I've never agreed with....kinda like "a cruise is what you make of it."

The Op's original question was about energy...which I feel NCL and RCI equal CCL in energy. But I do think they are VERY different in other respects.

JMO, of course. :)