Viking or Scenic Grand European Tour for first timers to river cruising.

Kingofcool1947

If you can find information on the size of the windows that helps alot. The height of the window tells you something about where the waterline is. On my first Uniworld cruise I was in a cat 3 cabin, the windows went from the height of the bed most of the way to the ceiling, about 3 ft. If your window is less than about 2 ft it will be higher and you will have less view of the water.

We are getting ready to leave on our 3rd Avalon cruise at the beginning of May. We did Amsterdam to Budapest two years ago and with a 2 day extension in Budapest. We really enjoyed it and get as busy as we wanted. Every port has an included excursion and we chose to do several optionals. We met many interesting people both younger and older than us (early 60's). The small size made it easy to get to know most everyone on our ship. There was entertainment though not as varied as on a large ocean cruise ship. This year we are combing a 12 night cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, 2 nights in Zurich and then a 7 day train trip around Switzerland. We want to get the most of our airfare!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

CarolinaKathy - are you doing the Rhine Moselle cruise? We are doing this in October and also plan to spend time in Switzerland at the end of the cruise travelling on some of the scenic trains.(Chur 2 nights to do the Bernina express, then on part of the Glacier express route to Thun for 5 nights. Will travel part of the Goldenpass route from Zweisimmen and Montreux for the day) Would be great to hear about your trip when you return.

Agree about doing a shorter cruise 1st, our 1st Avalon cruise was at Christmas/New Year for 11 days on the Main/Danube - loved it. Also a good idea to do a comparison of all the inclusions/non inclusions to see how the lines compare.

Personally I wouldn't consider 1)Viking - too many passengers, smaller cabins and customer service has not always been great, 2) Uniworld - not overly fussed on their decor prefer simpler style 3) Scenic - price too high, don't need the butler service, dinner attire appears to be not as relaxed as other lines(my perspective). Would consider 1) Avalon 2) Emerald Waterways 3) AMA - I think in Australia this is APT.

All our tips were included in our cruise(most cruise lines for Australian passengers do this)it was suggested that if we were extra happy with the local guides and drivers we could give them a euro or two.

We also prefer to travel outside of the peak times - less crowds, weather not so hot & humid - better for the walking.

We are experienced ocean cruisers having taken luxury, near luxury and mass market lines. We've never taken a mega sized ship as we prefer good service and food over waiting & glitz. After some research including losing a deposit on Viking, we chose Emerald last year for a Danube cruise + 3 nights in Prague. We were very pleased . I would guess the pax ages were mostly 50's and 60's. Great value and nice ship amenities. If you're used to balcony or ocean view cabins, I would not suggest the lowest deck on any river ship where there is only a small window near the ceiling. Standard panorama balcony cabin sizes were much larger than Viking.

FYI, Emerald is a subsiderary of Scenic .

Thank you.

I will look into Avalon and AMA. Since we dont drink alcohol, we'll omit Scenic.

People focus on the "free alcohol" but it's really free beverages. That includes water and soft drinks.

One morning on our Scenic cruise we were rafted next to an Avalon ship and we chatted for a while with a woman across the way. She told us that she had to sign for water when she ordered it outside of meal times.

If you drink a lot of soda or bottled water you might want to check out the beverage policy on the ships you are considering.

If you want to use your cabin for more than sleeping and bathing I would think twice about aquarium class. At least on Scenic the aquarium rooms are pretty small.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on 3 Avalon cruises and never had to sign for water. we started with 2 bottles in our cabin which were replenished as needed when the steward was in our cabin in the morning and evening. whenever we got ready to leave for an excursion there was plenty of water by the door as we exited the ship.

We have been on 3 Avalon cruises and never had to sign for water. we started with 2 bottles in our cabin which were replenished as needed when the steward was in our cabin in the morning and evening. whenever we got ready to leave for an excursion there was plenty of water by the door as we exited the ship.

We had similar experiences on our Avalon cruise. Also, we asked our room steward to clear out our minibar on the first day of the cruise, and we bought our own soft drinks and other snacks at a grocery store and stocked the mini fridge on our own.

People focus on the "free alcohol" but it's really free beverages. That includes water and soft drinks.

One morning on our Scenic cruise we were rafted next to an Avalon ship and we chatted for a while with a woman across the way. She told us that she had to sign for water when she ordered it outside of meal times.

If you drink a lot of soda or bottled water you might want to check out the beverage policy on the ships you are considering.

If you want to use your cabin for more than sleeping and bathing I would think twice about aquarium class. At least on Scenic the aquarium rooms are pretty small.

Thank you! Charge for bottled water outside of meals times? Ouch! DW and I drink at least six 16 oz. of water per day to stay hydrated, and maybe a diet soda every few days.

Aquarium class or a French Balcony we are still considering, as budget is a factor for DW and I to try a 7-10 day European river cruise.

Kingofcool, check out the various lines you are looking for. Most will have a coffee bar set up with light snacks (danish/muffins/cookies) and coffee/tea/water etc. From what I've seen, most also supply you water in your cabin.

As for the cabin size, don't forget to check out the square footage. Some of the french balcony cabins are actually smaller than the aquarium class on some ships. We are going on our first cruise, so not sure about the aquarium class, whether it would be enough for us as to light etc, so chose the french balcony on Avalon due to it's size.

Kingofcool, not to sure is this will get redacted but river cruise advisor has a comparison chart of most of the river cruise companies. Don't forget with Scenic you can request your butler to fill your mini bar with any beverage you like, you can also get your butler to serve a non-alcoholic cocktail before dinner. Enjoy your cruise CA

I should have been more specific in my post about paying for water. We were talking about drinking in the bar when the Avalon passenger said that when she ordered water(I can't remember if she said still or bubbly) she was asked to sign for it. In my head I expanded on that to include soft drinks and any venue where the drink was ordered from a waiter.

Water in your room and after excursions seems to be commonplace on river cruises. There are plenty of other places and times onboard where a passenger might want a drink and I think it's worthwhile to know if that will cost you money.

All I know about beverage policies at this level of detail I learned from one conversation boat to boat with an Avalon passenger. If I'm wrong it won't be the first time. Or the last probably. [emoji849]

I should have been more specific in my post about paying for water. We were talking about drinking in the bar when the Avalon passenger said that when she ordered water(I can't remember if she said still or bubbly) she was asked to sign for it. In my head I expanded on that to include soft drinks and any venue where the drink was ordered from a waiter.

Water in your room and after excursions seems to be commonplace on river cruises. There are plenty of other places and times onboard where a passenger might want a drink and I think it's worthwhile to know if that will cost you money.

All I know about beverage policies at this level of detail I learned from one conversation boat to boat with an Avalon passenger. If I'm wrong it won't be the first time. Or the last probably. [emoji849]

Thanks.

I'm old and frequently get confused. So, bottled water is free on all European cruise lines, and usually stocked in ones cabin. Correct? There is no extra change for water either from the bar or dining venues at all open times correct?

I have been checking the river cruise FAQ's posted by jazzbeau regarding more helpful information. Plenty of heilpful information for first timers like DW and I.

Kingofcool, are you following the thread about the food on Viking Embla?

The one price you pay Scenic is it-nothing extra for optional tours, tipping, stuff in the mini bar, upgraded beverage packages.

Hi nancyevans,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've been following that thread with great interest. The OP, goldenrod, comments about his first time river cruise on Viking seem to us basically negative about everything on his/her cruise. OP is not the kind of PAX DW and I would enjoy socializing with on any cruise. Op seems to be a miserable person, to be around.... bitter, and a constant complainer. Who needs that on a cruise?

OP seems to complain about everything about his 23 day cruise. But mostly about the terrible cuisine.:rolleyes:

Kingofcool, not to sure is this will get redacted but river cruise advisor has a comparison chart of most of the river cruise companies. Don't forget with Scenic you can request your butler to fill your mini bar with any beverage you like, you can also get your butler to serve a non-alcoholic cocktail before dinner. Enjoy your cruise CA

Thanks Canal archive.. Re: Non-alcololic beverages since DW and I don't drink alcohol.

Are there European river cruises or cruise lines that don't emphasize visiting wineries so much, and are focused more on cultural and local cuisines of the counties/towns visited? Re: shore excursions, DW and I enjoy walking but don't bike. So I guess those are the tours we would be choosing over visiting a winery.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thanks Canal archive.. Re: Non-alcololic beverages since DW and I don't drink alcohol.

Are there European river cruises or cruise lines that don't emphasize visiting wineries so much, and are focused more on cultural aspects of the counties/towns visited? Re: shore excursions, DW and I enjoy walking but don't bike. So I guess those are the tours we would be choosing over visiting a winery.

We sailed Avalon, and Beer & Wine was included at dinner. We saw vineyards as we sailed from Amsterdam to Budapest but don't remember any wine tours. You seem to be making this all about drinking. This entire trip was about seeing fabulous things, beautiful places and was not a drinking party.

We sailed Avalon, and Beer & Wine was included at dinner. We saw vineyards as we sailed from Amsterdam to Budapest but don't remember any wine tours. You seem to be making this all about drinking. This entire trip was about seeing fabulous things, beautiful places and was not a drinking party.

We dont mind at all those who enjoy their alcohol. I understand for many people pairing good wines with food is very important. We were just wondering if some European river cruise lines less inclusive with wines and alcohol. Or, I'm guessing the cost of beverages are factored in the basic cost of the cruise anyway? I'm reading Viking only offers one red and one white at their meals.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Unless the cruise is specifically billed as a wine cruise I don't think they emphasize wines. I have done Uniworld's Tulips & Windmills and Vienna to Basel and neither visited a winery nor even had that option. The only time I really saw a vineyard was in Rudesheim when I took the cable car to the top for the lovely view (and to get away from a town that I found particularly tacky).

Unless the cruise is specifically billed as a wine cruise I don't think they emphasize wines. I have done Uniworld's Tulips & Windmills and Vienna to Basel and neither visited a winery nor even had that option. The only time I really saw a vineyard was in Rudesheim when I took the cable car to the top for the lovely view (and to get away from a town that I found particularly tacky).

gnome 12,

Thank you. I guess I'll have to dig deeper into the each river cruise lines, and itinerary offered. I know all offer cultural enrichment shore excursions, and those are the tours we would select.

gnome 12,

Thank you. I guess I'll have to dig deeper into the each river cruise lines, and itinerary offered. I know all offer cultural enrichment shore excursions, and those are the tours we would select.

Our Rhine cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) only included one vineyard excursion, and that might be interesting to you for the information about growing grapes if not for the wine tasting part. Our Rhone cruise (Lyon to Arles) had several wine tasting excursions -- but it also had lots of Roman ruins, Van Gogh, French cultural enrichment. I would avoid the Bordeaux and Douro itineraries [all about wine]. The Seine and Tulip Time itineraries have very little about wine.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We dont mind at all those who enjoy their alcohol. I understand for many people pairing good wines with food is very important. We were just wondering if some European river cruise lines less inclusive with wines and alcohol. Or, I'm guessing the cost of beverages are factored in the basic cost of the cruise anyway? I'm reading Viking only offers one red and one white at their meals.

You need to be looking at more than just Included Alcohol. The most inclusive lines do include many things and can be often a better value and it doesn't have anything to do with beer and wine. So please look at the total picture and not focus on one aspect.

Go to each of the websites and sign up for them to send you a brochure and for them to send you info on sales Promotions.

Find the dates (2 or 3)that work for you, then choose an itinerary (or 2) that you would like to sail. Then find out which cruise lines offer that trip in your dates. Once you see who offers the trips you want start comparing the prices and what is included in that price. Tours? free or extra cost. Tips/Gratuities about $12 per person per day, tips to guides & drivers, water & soft drinks, wine & beer at dinner only or anytime any drink? Transfers, air to & from.

The ship, what category you choose. Size of the room compared to competitors. Number of passengers on ship (Viking 190ish vs Avalon 160 vs Tauck 140) this matters in the dining room & buses. As the boats are pretty much the same size but one cruiseline stuffs more passengers onto boats than others (big big hint V )

Almost ALL companies are advertising big sales, only one requires payment in full almost immediately. 2 for 1 pricing is a gimmick, that is the per person price and not the price for 2 people. That sale never ends never mind what they say about sale ending.

Yes river cruising is expensive! And you will love it!

Check out:

AMA

uniworld

Avalon

Scenic

Tauck

Vantage

Viking

Crosi (just started marketing to US Market beware what language is spoken on board)

I am certain I have forgotten a line that is very budget but many people love it. Just can't find the name in my brain!

I'm in my mid-forties, and I've just done a Scenic river cruise with my Mum and absolutely loved it! Age is just a number! We are not big drinkers either, but we chose Scenic for their all inclusive excursions, and tipping. I've read on here that some people don't like to pay extra for excursions, but who wants to go all that way and miss things! We also liked the fact that Scenic picked us up at the airport, and got us to the boat from our hotel, then back to the airport at the end. Made life easy. We had a Deluxe Balcony suite, at 225ft or 21m2. It was nice having a proper balcony, and if you want to you could leave the doors open and it became part of the room. I appreciated sitting out on it early in the morning, and it was also nice to have time out if either of us felt the need. I couldn't recommend Scenic's attention to detail more highly - everything is thought of, and if you don't want to spend any other money on your holiday, there is no need to. I am saving for my next one!

Our Rhine cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) only included one vineyard excursion, and that might be interesting to you for the information about growing grapes if not for the wine tasting part. Our Rhone cruise (Lyon to Arles) had several wine tasting excursions -- but it also had lots of Roman ruins, Van Gogh, French cultural enrichment. I would avoid the Bordeaux and Douro itineraries [all about wine]. The Seine and Tulip Time itineraries have very little about wine.

Host Jazzbeau,

Thanks! Just the kind of information about good itineries for us. What river cruise line were you on? I reckon all of the river cruise lines offer similar intineries anyway.?

You need to be looking at more than just Included Alcohol. The most inclusive lines do include many things and can be often a better value and it doesn't have anything to do with beer and wine. So please look at the total picture and not focus on one aspect.

Go to each of the websites and sign up for them to send you a brochure and for them to send you info on sales Promotions.

Find the dates (2 or 3)that work for you, then choose an itinerary (or 2) that you would like to sail. Then find out which cruise lines offer that trip in your dates. Once you see who offers the trips you want start comparing the prices and what is included in that price. Tours? free or extra cost. Tips/Gratuities about $12 per person per day, tips to guides & drivers, water & soft drinks, wine & beer at dinner only or anytime any drink? Transfers, air to & from.

The ship, what category you choose. Size of the room compared to competitors. Number of passengers on ship (Viking 190ish vs Avalon 160 vs Tauck 140) this matters in the dining room & buses. As the boats are pretty much the same size but one cruiseline stuffs more passengers onto boats than others (big big hint V )

Almost ALL companies are advertising big sales, only one requires payment in full almost immediately. 2 for 1 pricing is a gimmick, that is the per person price and not the price for 2 people. That sale never ends never mind what they say about sale ending.

Yes river cruising is expensive! And you will love it!

Check out:

AMA

uniworld

Avalon

Scenic

Tauck

Vantage

Viking

Crosi (just started marketing to US Market beware what language is spoken on board)

I am certain I have forgotten a line that is very budget but many people love it. Just can't find the name in my brain!

Thank you JVilleGal,

I have read Viking requires payment in full up front. That might not work for our vacation budgeting. :o

As a first European river cruise, DW and I are leaning toward a 7-10 day all inclusive river cruise, ie all tips, excursions, included. With a extra few days pre and post cruise stays.

We are not "foodies however, quality, fresh, and regional cusine is important to us. We will basically try any food at least once.

Still thinking "Aquarium" vs, French Balcony room because of budget. And, also thinking DW and I would be spending most of our time topside or in public spaces, and basically go to our cabin just to sleep and shower. We do enjoy waking up to sunshine, so for us, a basic inside cabin (no window) would not be a consideration.

If you are looking at a 7 - 10 day cruise, I would suggest going to the websites for the lines & checking out what trips are available. You can also check out the staterooms for the aquarium class, and see how large the windows look.

Not sure about other lines, but with Avalon, you can prepay your tips so you don't have to worry about any surprises at the end of the cruise. As others have said, sign up for the e-mails & brochures and you may get special offers. We also kept an eye open for travel agents holding talks about cruising, as often they will have discount coupons for attending.

As to food, I am a firm believer that eating what is local to the area is part of the travelling experience...

Still thinking "Aquarium" vs, French Balcony room because of budget. And, also thinking DW and I would be spending most of our time topside or in public spaces, and basically go to our cabin just to sleep and shower. We do enjoy waking up to sunshine, so for us, a basic inside cabin (no window) would not be a consideration.

I hope that we aren't overwhelming you with information. One thing you may notice is that most people have a favorite line, and they're very loyal. Most have a great cruise on the first line they try and they stay with that line. As someone has pointed out before on the forum, that means that all of the companies generally deliver a quality cruise experience.

The main time when people express disappointment with a line is when they have problems due to high/low water or other incidents (our ship lost an engine on the Danube). In the time I've followed this forum, problems tend to occur most often on the Danube (both high and low water) and the Rhone (high water in the spring). On the Danube large lines like Viking have a decided advantage. They have so many identical ships that they can easily do a ship swap and get around the choke point with minimal impacts on their passengers. Pack up in the morning before leaving on a tour and in the afternoon you return to the same cabin number on an identical ship on the other side of the obstacle.

I think that you're wise to think about aquarium class. We've never done it, but you're right that you won't spend a lot of time in your cabin. There's generally neat stuff on BOTH sides of the ship, and you won't see it all out your cabin window. You really want to be in the lounge or on the sun deck to take it all in. Keep in mind that on Viking the lower deck cabins are larger (150 sq. ft.) than the more expensive French balcony cabins (135 sq. ft.).

I think that you'll have a great time on any line you choose.