Can They Take Away Our Cabin?

A few weeks ago, I booked a balcony cabin New England cruise on Serenade for September. Shortly after that I was checking prices through a mock booking and saw that a family OV on Deck 8 was available (for 2 people). I called RCCL and was able to switch to the FOV and was really pleased to snag such a nice cabin at a considerable savings over the balcony.

Shortly after that, I was talking to a TA we’re using for another cruise, and she said she could get us some OBC if we transferred the booking to her, so I filled out the paperwork a week or so ago. Fast forward to today – I get a call from our TA – she said she had contacted RCCL and that they told her there was a good chance that we could lose the cabin if a larger party came along and wanted it. She is encouraging us to move againso that RCCL can’t put us in a less desirable location.

Can they do this? Iwas under the impression that once your cabin was assigned they couldn’t takeit away. If they do want to move us, canI insist on an upgrade?

Edited by handbellplayer

Yes, it can happen. It's never happened to me, but I have read about it happening on these boards. I do not believe this is something that happens often. I think it's pretty rare. I have read bout it a couple of times though.

Yes, it can happen. It's never happened to me, but I have read about it happening on these boards. I do not believe this is something that happens often. I think it's pretty rare. I have read bout it a couple of times though.

Ditto this

OP...If it were me and I have been advised that I could possibly be moved and to a less desirable location by RC (according to you) I'd be looking now for another desirable (price and location) stateroom. September isn't that far off and the September New England cruises are popular.

It happened to us! Several years ago DH and I booked the Deck 10 corner aft cabin on Freedom. When I was checking our reservation a few months later, I noticed that our cabin number had changed. I called RCL to question this and was told that we were moved because our corner aft cabin was needed for a family of more than 2 people since it could accommodate up to 4. We never received an e-mail or phone call to inform us that we were moved, I just happened to notice our cabin change.

It happened to us! Several years ago DH and I booked the Deck 10 corner aft cabin on Freedom. When I was checking our reservation a few months later, I noticed that our cabin number had changed. I called RCL to question this and was told that we were moved because our corner aft cabin was needed for a family of more than 2 people since it could accommodate up to 4. We never received an e-mail or phone call to inform us that we were moved, I just happened to notice our cabin change.

We lost our Aft JS through an upgrade to GS. Happened at pier nothing we could do about it. And yes, some will say we should be thrilled, but really wanted the aft balcony

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Can they do this? Iwas under the impression that once your cabin was assigned they couldn’t takeit away. If they do want to move us, canI insist on an upgrade?

No, you can't insist on an upgrade. And be careful with the upgrade terminology. What a cruiseline thinks of as an upgrade may be anything but in reality.

We were not able to get an upgrade although it was requested. We were told that we had to move into a cabin within the same category and since it was much closer to sailing there weren't any remaining cabins in a good location. I definitely learned from this experience and would never book a cabin that we were at risk of loosing if it was needed by a larger group.

We lost our Aft JS through an upgrade to GS. Happened at pier nothing we could do about it. And yes, some will say we should be thrilled, but really wanted the aft balcony

John, same thing happened to me. Lost 1100 on a Radiance class ship to another cruiser that was double booked in my cabin. Though I could have kept it, as I really wanted the corner aft cabin, it was the other couple's TA that messed it up. I had confirmation direct booking with RCI. So I took an upgrade at that time to a GS over the original offered OBC that I could not use. Was just shy of D+ during that cruise, so it was actually nice to be able to use the CL as the ship still did not have a DL yet.

It happened to my brother-in-law. He had originally booked a cabin that slept four because he was cruising with his three sons. They couldn't go, so he removed them from the booking. Fast forward a few months, and I was adding our show reservations (I used to be a travel agent, so I handle family bookings) and I noticed that his cabin number had changed.

OP, high up and forward, where the FOV is located, is probably the least desirable location on the ship since it's prone to the most movement in rough weather. Perhaps your TA meant a less desirable cabin (like back to a balcony, which has other merits). What is she suggesting as an alternative for the same price or less?

John, same thing happened to me. Lost 1100 on a Radiance class ship to another cruiser that was double booked in my cabin. Though I could have kept it, as I really wanted the corner aft cabin, it was the other couple's TA that messed it up. I had confirmation direct booking with RCI. So I took an upgrade at that time to a GS over the original offered OBC that I could not use. Was just shy of D+ during that cruise, so it was actually nice to be able to use the CL as the ship still did not have a DL yet.

Too funny you should mention that - we were having dinner with cruising friends last night and that incident (which played out live on CC) came up. Just for the record (I had to go back and find the thread because I have no life, lol), the TA wasn't determined to be at fault. Nancy blamed RCI for the mixup - she had a confirmation, too. And I'm glad you enjoyed the GS!:)

OP, high up and forward, where the FOV is located, is probably the least desirable location on the ship since it's prone to the most movement in rough weather. Perhaps your TA meant a less desirable cabin (like back to a balcony, which has other merits). What is she suggesting as an alternative for the same price or less?

Too funny you should mention that - we were having dinner with cruising friends last night and that incident (which played out live on CC) came up. Just for the record (I had to go back and find the thread because I have no life, lol), the TA wasn't determined to be at fault. Nancy blamed RCI for the mixup - she had a confirmation, too. And I'm glad you enjoyed the GS!:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder why they put all the FOV upfront and high (although I think there are a couple on deck 7 aft on some ships). My family of 5 is going on a cruise next year and we booked an FOV bc of the price, and I've been concerned about our location and feeling the motion ever since. I do call frequently to see if the price has changed for 2 cabins in the middle, lower, but I still can't beat the price of a FOV. I hope the Oasis is big enough so that we don't feel too much.

I wonder why they put all the FOV upfront and high (although I think there are a couple on deck 7 aft on some ships). My family of 5 is going on a cruise next year and we booked an FOV bc of the price, and I've been concerned about our location and feeling the motion ever since. I do call frequently to see if the price has changed for 2 cabins in the middle, lower, but I still can't beat the price of a FOV. I hope the Oasis is big enough so that we don't feel too much.

I like high and up front. Gotta feel the ship moving. Sailed one of the deck 12 balconies on Freedom. Loved it.

Yup win win in the end. Though I was like John, and did not really want to give up that nice corner aft wrap cabin, and was told by corporate RCI gentleman on the phone, that should I insist, it was my cabin to keep since I booked direct with RCI. If I had wanted a GS, I would have booked it....but I tried to look on the bright side. I did a nice thing to give that cabin to the passenger who had booked through a TA, and I got to enjoy the CL on the cruise.

Last year, I made sure to have my profile on "do not upgrade" with my B2B corner aft wrap cabin on Radiance Alaska for that reason also. I would have really been upset to lose that one!

ok we are two people booked into a corner aft junior suite on grandeur. Obviously that room can sleep more than two. But with the new room categories, I paid extra for that room. Doesn't seem right I could be moved to another junior suite

They are very unlikely to move you if the minimum occupancy on that stateroom is less than 3 people.

But with the new room categories, I paid extra for that room. Doesn't seem right I could be moved to another junior suite

True, if they move you it would have to be an equivalent priced JS or higher. Or, compensation for something less.

We booked a guarantee room last month on Oasis and were giving a connecting room. When I spoke to RC they told me there would be a chance we'd be moved if someone needed a connecting room but they would call us and let us know what room we would be getting along with "other things" (I assume OBC) We have since moved cabins so we should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In January I booked aft JS 1100 (on the Serenade) for January 2018, for just hubby and I. We would not be happy if we got bumped out of that cabin, we love those aft balconies!

In January I booked aft JS 1100 (on the Serenade) for January 2018, for just hubby and I. We would not be happy if we got bumped out of that cabin, we love those aft balconies!

Me too! That is why I would never want give it up, for a free upgrade (the real upgrade fairy)

when enjoying the inland passage in Alaska! :D