Walking around the ships with plates of food

Interesting thread. I've never thought about any pros and cons re taking food back to the cabin, but as we always have an inside cabin, with not a lot of spare space maybe that's why. We've taken hot drinks back and I must confess to taking a small bowl full of M &Ms which were supposed to go on top of ice cream (sshh) but food, no.

Beginning to feel I'm missing out on something :D

Interesting, not what I thought the thread would be about from the title. I know this is one of the things it took me a while to get used to on my first cruise. First it was sitting down to eat and then leaving without even having to sign something. Then my feeling of "you're allowed to eat that here?" seeing people in the lobby or in a lounge during a comedy show with a plate of chicken fingers. Took me a little while to get into the swing of ship life.

There does seem to be a growing obsession with germs - I admit to wiping down the mouthpiece of a hotel room or cruise ship phone - but to sweat carrying some food around is a bit limiting.

I would be surprised if anyone who has experienced the norovirus on a ship didn't make some changes in their behavior. Observing someone not washing their hands after doing their business in the bathroom is not something most people pay attention to until it means risking being stuck in your cabin the whole cruise.

Burt

I would be surprised if anyone who has experienced the norovirus on a ship didn't make some changes in their behavior. Observing someone not washing their hands after doing their business in the bathroom is not something most people pay attention to until it means risking being stuck in your cabin the whole cruise.

Burt

While I certainly would not like my vacation ruined , I work in special education with very low fuctiononing students ( severe autism and other mental and physical disabilities). The stories I could tell you from a typical day in the classroom would make not washing hands seem like a minor issue. That said I always wonder how any "typically developed" adult needs to be reminded to wash their hands.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Does not bother us at all.

We are part of the MYOB crowd. If someone else want to do it and has zero impact on us (and it does), why on earth would we care?

Far too many busybodies running about concerning themselves about what other folks do or don't.

We do it all the time too, depending on what is available on the Room Service menu. We do breakfast in our cabin... order from Room Service coffee, toast, fruit.... eggs if available, if not do a run to the buffet for the eggs... cover the plates with another plate... easy. Lunch often to the same... make a plate for each us -- cover each with another plate... stack them... head to the cabin enjoy a peaceful lunch on the balcony if possible with weather good ... we enjoy eating in peace and quiet.. not the noise in many areas or the DMR..

Me too. I'm also astonished to read about people who, on entering their stateroom for the first time, immediately wipe everything down with anti-bacterial wipes.

Really? We never do and have never contracted anything through this kind of contact.

Same here.

Not that we don't take care.

Wash frequently, don't put our hands in our mouth that sort of thing, but some sound like they go totally overboard.

Not sure how many even understand Noro or how it spreads, perhaps they need to read up.

But then the way the ship treats the room of any one suspected to be suffering from it doesn't help.

I say suspected because the symptoms (vomiting and diarrhoea) can be common to many conditions and the only 100% test is to test a stool sample or a sample of vomit, something I've never heard anyone who has been diagnosed with Noro (as a one or two off) on a ship ever undergoing.

It also bemusesme that a condition responsible for over 60% of all "food poisoning" cases has come to be almost exclusively associated, by the general public and press, with cruising.

Common settings for norovirus outbreaks include restaurants and events with catered meals (36%), nursing homes (23%), schools (13%), and vacation settings or cruise ships (10%). Proper hand washing is the best way to prevent the spread of norovirus.

From CDC, Norovirus in Healthcare Facilities Fact Sheet

It's a phenomenon that really fascinates me for some reason. Last cruise on the Allure about a month ago, I can't tell you how many times I was in a packed elevator with someone carrying plates full of food. Don't these people worry about germs lol? I am not a germaphobe, but the thought of people in close quarters breathing/sneezing/coughing all over a plate of food is disgusting. I can see if you are bringing it down for someone who isn't feeling well or has mobility issues....but the walking plates seemed like they were EVERYWHERE lol. Are people worried they may run out of dining options or that the ship might run out of food?

I'm writing this more just as an observation...I don't expect many of you to actually admit to doing this. I am alone in this observation?

I have taken food back to the cabin for both me and my partner on a couple of occasions. I am not so worried about germs but I do cover the plates with the serviettes.

If you're on a Princess ship with an International Cafe, most of the time you're taking it with to another location (not too many tables in the Piazza where the ICs are). I have often taken a yummy snack with me to the trivia matches. One time after being out in the port, my daughter and I decided to relax watching a movie in the cabin so I picked up a plate of cookies and other treats to enjoy.

On some sea days, hubby will get up early, go to the buffet for a made to order omelet, and then made up a tray of breakfast items for my daughter and me as we'll sleep in.