What's up with single fares.

DocJohnB

For the past few years I have cruised as a single. Mostly with Celebrity. Up through my last cruise with them, I have paid a single supplement between 145% and 200%

I was looked at 3 fall transatlantic. One was at 200%, another at 200% + $100 and the last was at 200% + $400. WTH is up with this.

I understand (but don't particularly like) the 200%. But can anybody give me a reasonable explanation for me having to pay even 1 penny more.

I enjoy Captain's Club status of Elite Plus. I say this not with the thought that it should play into the pricing, but only to show that I am a fairly loyal cruiser with Celebrity. However, when I feel when my loyalty is not being reciprocated, my loyalty will fade (rather quickly).

Does anybody have the email for the head of Celebrity. I would like to discuss this one on one with him or someone high up the food chain at Celebrity.

(This is not restricted to Transatlantics as I also checked out Panama Canal cruises and Caribbean cruises - sort of hesitant to look at European cruises).

They have mostly been 200% in recent memory with only a few at 150% or 175%. Lately, there have been 225% on Summit, especially to Bermuda.

Some say it is because the cruise line relies on onboard spending, and that when there is only 1 pax in a cabin, less spending. I think it is because they can.

Not met this as yet. Have always expected and paid 200%. I feel the no show 2nd passenger will be on my bookings. I do use them in some hotels as I have found I get the smallest and worst rooms on a double for single occupancy booking. Well worth the cost of a second breakfast. Think we just have to learn to use the system on our single bookings.

For the past few years I have cruised as a single. Mostly with Celebrity. Up through my last cruise with them, I have paid a single supplement between 145% and 200%

I was looked at 3 fall transatlantic. One was at 200%, another at 200% + $100 and the last was at 200% + $400. WTH is up with this.

I understand (but don't particularly like) the 200%. But can anybody give me a reasonable explanation for me having to pay even 1 penny more.

I enjoy Captain's Club status of Elite Plus. I say this not with the thought that it should play into the pricing, but only to show that I am a fairly loyal cruiser with Celebrity. However, when I feel when my loyalty is not being reciprocated, my loyalty will fade (rather quickly).

Does anybody have the email for the head of Celebrity. I would like to discuss this one on one with him or someone high up the food chain at Celebrity.

(This is not restricted to Transatlantics as I also checked out Panama Canal cruises and Caribbean cruises - sort of hesitant to look at European cruises).

Totally agree. I doubt that anybody at Celebrity is going to do anything to correct this. So going forward I would book a close friend, all the registration etc, then she doesn't show up. You then know it is still only 200% which I understand and am okay with. But Celebrity marketing doesn't seem to be very smart about how to do business. Good luck with your cruising, hang in there.

I never understand the one person will spend less argument- my bill is inevitably higher than most couples I know!

Mostly because the cruise lines base their pricing on averages for a given passenger type, not individually. You may spend a lot, but on average a solo fare would need to pay 225% of the fare to equal the revenue that they would get for two people in the same room.

Just as you might spend much more than the averages others spend less.

Totally agree. I doubt that anybody at Celebrity is going to do anything to correct this. So going forward I would book a close friend, all the registration etc, then she doesn't show up. You then know it is still only 200% which I understand and am okay with. But Celebrity marketing doesn't seem to be very smart about how to do business. Good luck with your cruising, hang in there.

Oh they tend to be pretty smart about the rules. Most people do follow them. When a high enough percentage doesn't then they will change the process to tighten up enforcement. Of course when that happens to tend to see a lot of people here on CC get upset that the former way to violate the rules stop working.

Well, it's my money, and I have a LOT of other choices when it comes to cruising. Not paying more than a 200% single supplement. Period.

Can you change the last word to "PERIOD!"? Thank you.

And, yes, I feel your pain. Unfortunately, it's their game and their rules.

I've traveled solo and with groups up to 20. If a company is going to be prejudiced against me as a single traveler, I am MUCH less inclined to recommend that company for a group for any future cruises, let alone book a cruise for a solo cruiser.

They don't want us. Period. On my first X cruise I can guarantee I spent more that 80% of the cruisers. It was a TA.

I don't like paying 200% either but I will, however I am like most I won't go a penny over. Especially those that are already higher due to the free promos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree that this needs to be addressed. I'm suggesting the original poster email the CEO. It almost seems like discrimination to me. I also refuse to pay more than double. And it bothers me that often you cannot book a guarantee room as a solo traveller - not sure the reasoning for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree that this needs to be addressed. I'm suggesting the original poster email the CEO. It almost seems like discrimination to me. I also refuse to pay more than double. And it bothers me that often you cannot book a guarantee room as a solo traveller - not sure the reasoning for that.

Not sure this would be consiered discrimination. I've emailed Celebrity twice asking if 225% is going to be the norm and so far no response from them. I've also emailed my TA and ask her to ask the question. I pretty much use to paying the 200%, but since there are so many other lines that charge 200% or less, I wouldn't be interested in paying anything over 200%.

How do you book a second passenger "no show" ?

Email address, home address & phone number required plus

the on line check-in?

Would like to hear how it's done. It's sad the single supplement has gotten so high that solo passengers need to think about this [emoji6]

Edited by lindy sails

I ran a quote for 1 person in a balcony room recently and thought I'd check to see how much difference it was for 2 people it was less than £100 more. Totally understand having to pay the same as 2 people for a single occupancy what shocked me was you could then add a 3rd adult to your room for less than £100 on top pretty sure a third adult would eat more than £100 worth of food in 11 days I was surprised how cheap it was.

I ran a quote for 1 person in a balcony room recently and thought I'd check to see how much difference it was for 2 people it was less than £100 more. Totally understand having to pay the same as 2 people for a single occupancy what shocked me was you could then add a 3rd adult to your room for less than £100 on top pretty sure a third adult would eat more than £100 worth of food in 11 days I was surprised how cheap it was.

Celebrity makes about 25% of its revenue from on board spending and 75% from fares. Its average occupancy is around 105% of 2 passenger per cabin capacity. So the cruise lines need and encourage 3 and 4 situations. The reason third and fourth bunks are so cheap is because on the additional on board spend.

To show you a quick comparison of revenue per cabin with fare X.

solo at 200% 2X + .33X = 2.33X

2 in Cabin 2X + .66X= 2.66X

3 in cabin 2.25X +.99X = 3.24X ( I checked 4 different celebrity cruises and the normal 3rd person rate seemed to be about 25% of 1 & 2)

The most limiting factor the cruise line has is number of cabins. So they have a clear need to maximize revenue per cabin. That is a max passenger limitation but that runs between 12-20% above 2 per cabin occupancy.

Keep in mind that food costs are not a big budget items compared to capital ship costs, crew, fuel, etc. Most of the ships costs are fixed per cruise route. The most variable expense that they have is alcohol and that is a money maker. Food not so much. If it is not consumed any fresh items are generally wasted anyway. So you might save some canned or frozen goods if a passenger does not come on board, but not enough to be material.

Bottom line is cruise lines love 3 or 4 to a cabin up to a point (but not where it forces cabins to be empty due to max passenger limits).

They do not like solo's except where the alternative is an empty cabin. In addition to a poorly booked cruise, the other time where solo's might find a deal is when lots of families are cruising and there are a lot of 3 or 4 to a cabin situations, approaching max capacity. In those case the cruise lines makes slightly more with 2 cabins with a solo and a 3 occupancy. In those cases the total revenue is 5.57X compared to 2 cabins of two each at 5.32X. But even there the savings would be slim. Those situations would tend to show up during the summer months and around school holidays.

Edited by RDC1

How do you book a second passenger "no show" ?

Email address, home address & phone number required plus

the on line check-in?

Would like to hear how it's done. It's sad the single supplement has gotten so high that solo passengers need to think about this [emoji6]

I would do it the same as if booking my child...

My email, my address, my phone #. Birth certificate for online checkin.

Celebrity makes about 25% of its revenue from on board spending and 75% from fares. Its average occupancy is around 105% of 2 passenger per cabin capacity. So the cruise lines need and encourage 3 and 4 situations. The reason third and fourth bunks are so cheap is because on the additional on board spend.

To show you a quick comparison of revenue per cabin with fare X.

solo at 200% 2X + .33X = 2.33X

2 in Cabin 2X + .66X= 2.66X

3 in cabin 2.25X +.99X = 3.24X ( I checked 4 different celebrity cruises and the normal 3rd person rate seemed to be about 25% of 1 & 2)

The most limiting factor the cruise line has is number of cabins. So they have a clear need to maximize revenue per cabin. That is a max passenger limitation but that runs between 12-20% above 2 per cabin occupancy.

Keep in mind that food costs are not a big budget items compared to capital ship costs, crew, fuel, etc. Most of the ships costs are fixed per cruise route. The most variable expense that they have is alcohol and that is a money maker. Food not so much. If it is not consumed any fresh items are generally wasted anyway. So you might save some canned or frozen goods if a passenger does not come on board, but not enough to be material.

Bottom line is cruise lines love 3 or 4 to a cabin up to a point (but not where it forces cabins to be empty due to max passenger limits).

They do not like solo's except where the alternative is an empty cabin. In addition to a poorly booked cruise, the other time where solo's might find a deal is when lots of families are cruising and there are a lot of 3 or 4 to a cabin situations, approaching max capacity. In those case the cruise lines makes slightly more with 2 cabins with a solo and a 3 occupancy. In those cases the total revenue is 5.57X compared to 2 cabins of two each at 5.32X. But even there the savings would be slim. Those situations would tend to show up during the summer months and around school holidays.

Thanks for for the mathematical breakdown. However, my next cruise with X i am paying 200%. Among the perks it includes a drink package. Well in my opinion the price has already been jacked up I am paying for two people to eat and drink.

They don't want us. Their Solo get togethers are joke. Trust me X passengers keep an eye on the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not met this as yet. Have always expected and paid 200%. I feel the no show 2nd passenger will be on my bookings. I do use them in some hotels as I have found I get the smallest and worst rooms on a double for single occupancy booking. Well worth the cost of a second breakfast. Think we just have to learn to use the system on our single bookings.

While I've heard the logic, I agree that it's crazy. I'd be inclined to book a second passenger to "no show" rather than pay a 225% single supplement.

I wonder if this new phantom 2nd guest phenomenon will become the new booze smuggling debate on this board.

Hmmm?

I think like everything to do with cruises, you have to shop and track prices. Single fares jump around as much as any other fares, so you monitor them and snag them when they go down. Just looking today using one of the popular cruise scanner websites, Just a quick look and I see good discounted rates for solo cabins on

3 sailings of the Summit

2 sailings of the Equinox

4 sailings of the Eclipse

1 sailing of the Constellation

1 sailing of the Millennium

1 sailing of the Solstice

Of course I wish it was easier to find solo rates, but I kind of enjoy doing my research and grabbing a good rate when I see it. It's like airline travel, it will always be up and down with no rhyme or reason, but I can either get annoyed by it, or try and find tools to help me grab the lower rates when I can.

I think like everything to do with cruises, you have to shop and track prices. Single fares jump around as much as any other fares, so you monitor them and snag them when they go down. Just looking today using one of the popular cruise scanner websites, Just a quick look and I see good discounted rates for solo cabins on

3 sailings of the Summit

2 sailings of the Equinox

4 sailings of the Eclipse

1 sailing of the Constellation

1 sailing of the Millennium

1 sailing of the Solstice

Of course I wish it was easier to find solo rates, but I kind of enjoy doing my research and grabbing a good rate when I see it. It's like airline travel, it will always be up and down with no rhyme or reason, but I can either get annoyed by it, or try and find tools to help me grab the lower rates when I can.

A very good approach, to be sure, with the exception of those who have limiting parameters when it comes to taking time off or certain areas of the world where they wish to sail.

Yet, I do endorse the idea(s) of booking for two (2) with a no-show to keep it at 200% which I believe is fair all way round.. just think double OBC to use or would they take it away for a no show??? ;-)

bon voyage