4:00 departure / board? lunch scrum?

suec12

New to Princess - we will have a 4:00 departure from Seattle. What time can we board? If we board hungry and head to the casual dining venue for lunch - will there be all of people there?

Usually you can board once customs has cleared the ship after all those who have come off. I know with Caribbean season in Fort Lauderdale, you can board their ships 11-11:30. As for lunch, I always make sure to come onboard hungry, as I know I can get a good balanced meal. Lunch is served on the Lido deck! Also they will have the pizzeria and grill open on the pool deck as well, which is a nice option too. If you are looking for something light, go to deck 5 and head to the International Cafe, one of my favorites onboard.

New to Princess - we will have a 4:00 departure from Seattle. What time can we board? If we board hungry and head to the casual dining venue for lunch - will there be all of people there?

The Horizon Court Buffet will be busy.

We always arrive around 10:30.

Boarding starts around Noon.

We then head to the dining room for lunch for a nice quiet meal.

Not many know about this.

It's open from Noon to 1:30.

In Seattle, priority boarding usually starts around 11:30 and regular boarding around 12:00. One of the dining rooms will be open for lunch between 12 - 1:30. It's a nice, relaxed way to start a cruise, and the menu is great. No "scrum" at all!

In Seattle, priority boarding usually starts around 11:30 and regular boarding around 12:00. One of the dining rooms will be open for lunch between 12 - 1:30. It's a nice, relaxed way to start a cruise, and the menu is great. No "scrum" at all!

Staff will almost certainly try to tell you to go to the buffet and won't want to direct you to the one open dining room. However, there really is one that is open.

Staff will almost certainly try to tell you to go to the buffet and won't want to direct you to the one open dining room. However, there really is one that is open.

Right Thrak..."don't ask which dining room is open". Go straight to your cabin, drop off your carry-ons, grab your Patter (the daily newspaper), check the back page for the restaurant location and jog (do not walk - gotta get there before 1:30;p).

Very pleasant way to start a cruise.

If you can't get seated at the dining room at once, you can just head to the buffet.

If we don't make it on board in time to enjoy luncheon in the dining room, we like to head to the Lido deck for pizza and/or burgers, unless the ship has Alfredo's on Deck 5 midship, which would be open all afternoon. But, if you are on board in time for lunch in the dining room, go there. It is a great way to start your cruise.

As others have stated boarding normally begins around 11:30/noon with priority boarders, then general boarding. Once boarding begins it goes very quickly.

Assume you are on the Emerald or Ruby Princess.

One DR should be open from noon to 1:30 for lunch. Check the back page of the Princess Patter for DR times. By the way when you board you can go directly to your cabin, drop you carry on, place you stuff in the cabin safe and start your cruise. Many enjoy the DR lunch, which does have a limited menu. Personally we do not enjoy the DR lunch since it takes about an hour. We would rather spend our time doing other things, hopefully unpacking and eating lunch outdoors.

The Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe buffet is open, and it will be crowded. There is seating inside in both the Horizon Ct and Cafe Caribe areas as well as outside. Outside seating is on the Horizon Terrace all the way aft, or by the Calypso Reef pool just forward of the buffet area.

You can also go to the Trident Grill or Pizza* by the Neptune's Reef pool. Pizza is pizza by the slice. The grill has burgers, fries, chicken, dogs, brats, veggie burgers. There are tables all around the pool areas.

The International Cafe on deck 5 in the Piazza is also open. There you will find paninis, soup, salads, desserts. We enjoy this area. It can be crowded on embarkation day, and other days for that matter.

Have a nice cruise.

*There is no Alfredo's as another poster mentioned on the Emerald or Ruby Princess.

I agree.... seek out the MDR if there is an opportunity. The embarkation Lido buffet is terribly crazy with people looking for an empty seat food in one hand and luggage in a second hand.... especially if the cabin is not ready.

I agree.... seek out the MDR if there is an opportunity. The embarkation Lido buffet is terribly crazy with people looking for an empty seat food in one hand and luggage in a second hand.... especially if the cabin is not ready.

Cabin is always ready on Princess.

Seems you're going to be on Emerald Princess which is one of our favorite ships! :)

Your cabin will be ready when you board.

If you are late boarding for some reason or other, the IC (International Cafe) on Deck 5 is always open (24/7). :D

I presume it will always be the same MDR that is open for lunch. In that case see if you can get hold of a Patter from an earlier cruise on the same ship to find out which. Then check the position on the ship maps online.

Emerald used Botticelli, Deck 6 Aft for MDR lunches both in-port for turnaround and on sea days on the Coastal cruise, and yes, staff misdirected guests. Ruby used one of the midships dining rooms.

Just got off the Ruby in Seattle. I was traveling with my Elite Mom, so we boarded first about 11:30am. Regular boarding started a little before 1pm. We got to Horizon Court early, obviously, so it wasn't too busy. By the time we were finished eating (about 12:45pm), a line was forming. If you get on early enough, you could head to the DR for lunch (on the Ruby it was DaVinci). Also, the International Café is a good option. Not as much variety as the buffet, but still plenty to choose from. Get a fruit tartlet for me. =)

Don't get confused with the different times being stated/. If you arrive @ about 10:30 that's usually a good time for Pier 91 in Seattle. That way you will be able to drop your non-carry on luggage, go upstairs through security and get checked in in time to be in the early boarding phase. That has usually started around 11:30 so far this year.

Have a great cruise!

Tom

Our first stop after boarding is our cabin. We drop off our carry ons, then we head to the buffet. We like the salad bar which is our first stop, then something hot from the buffet hot dish section. Never had a bad meal at the buffet, I like to pick and choose, and stay lo-carb. The salad bar is so fresh - and throughout the whole cruise the lettuce and salad items are top notch.

My recommended order of choice on embarkation day for lunch.

1. MDR. Yes, it can take about an hour, but after you drop off your stuff in your cabin, this will be the most relaxing way to begin your cruise. If you happen to be on board by noon or 12:30 you have plenty of time to stow your carry-ons, possibly meet your cabin steward and make it to the open dining room. Keep in mind, on a rare occasion they don't open a dining room up for lunch on embarkation day. There are many reasons why this might happen, but it sometimes does, so keep reading for alternate selections.

2. The International Cafe. So located nearby the MDRs is the International Cafe. Depending on how hungry you are, this is a great 2nd choice to MDR lunch. They have a selection of fresh, hot and cold sandwiches, salads, snacks and deserts. This is also the coffee bar (be sure to check out getting a coffee card because lates and mochas can really add up and the coffee card is a great value). Service is fast and since most of the folks that are embarking are up on the Lido at the buffet or just getting on board, you probably won't have to fight for space to sit and eat in the Piazza.

3. Lido deck burgers and pizza. Princess has the best pizza at sea, and some of the best I've had overall, and their burgers and dogs are excellent. Preggo Pizzeria and the Trident grill are up on the Lido deck near a pool, on the opposite end of the ship to the Horizon Court (on Grand class ships). Finding seating shouldn't be too hard since you are a bit of a walk from the HC.

4. The Horizon Court. As a general rule I don't often eat in the buffet on cruises. On my most recent ones we had extended family with us and we did eat in the buffet for a couple of breakfasts and a couple of dinners when we didn't feel like wearing pants to dinner. I was actually impressed with what I saw on this particular cruise. The quality and presentation of buffet food varies from cruise to cruise, but you will get a decent meal at the buffet, it just isn't my first choice.

Happy sailing.

Boy do you have this right. Terribly crazy is an understatement.

Tony