The Crown Grill has slipped another notch....

Honeybees

The question is not that there are fewer choices but rather will they limit you to only one from each category like in the specialty restaurants??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. When you hear of some people devouring 10 lobster tails or 2 or 3 main courses, it won't be long till the buffet will be the only place you can eat all your want.

It was in 2009, but on the Golden Princess we had filet three times, once in the MDR, once in the Crown Grill and once at the Chef's Table. The best filet was in the MDR, followed by the CT and the poorest was at the CG. None of them were bad but there was a definite difference in quality. I believe what this points out is that the beef with vary depending upon where it is sourced and which animal it comes from. On other cruises the order of quality has varied.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fear of speaking up? :confused:

But in the end they do speak up. It's just to the wrong people at the wrong time. Before I learned to speak up I just said everything was fine and whatever went wrong or wasn't to my liking I kept it to myself.

But in the end they do speak up. It's just to the wrong people at the wrong time. Before I learned to speak up I just said everything was fine and whatever went wrong or wasn't to my liking I kept it to myself.

There's a big difference between complaining & constructive criticism, which I don't think my wife quite understands. She still wants me to keep quiet & not say anything if something is wrong.

On the Royal last year the cooks at the buffet would listen to anything said about the food and actually do something about it.

Knock on wood. Never had a bad experience in the Crown Grill and we have booked at least once on each of our 19 Princess cruises. It is booked for my husband's 70th on the Golden next spring:). I also never order the lobster. I want steak! Or, occasionally, lamb if it is on the menu. Land-based steakhouses are 5 times the cost. And, wow, I would gain even more if we booked every night. What a concept.

I hate to "make trouble" too but I have learned that customer-centric businesses WANT to you to have a good experience. So I have now mastered, at the ripe age of 64, the art of politely stating problems with food or service with the right people at the right time (during AND after). I have written fact-based notes to executive chefs and to heads of food and beverage with praise and suggestions.

And, yes, lack of appropriate response by under-trained wait-staff is so very, very disappointing. Sigh. . . All we can do is model the behavior we expect.

And, yes, the accountants are more and more in charge. (As I can tell by how my shares of Carnival have soared).

I hope never to have the poor experiences described in this thread. And feel bad for you and Princess that you did!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reading this thread makes me realise that the majority of those who complain about the declining standard of food in the Crown Grill probably live $250,000 pa lifestyles for the rest of the year, go on cruises to economise but expect the same standards they enjoy EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR when they are not on a cruise.

If 'surf n turf' is really so important to you, then can I recommend you make use of Ultimate Balcony Dining. Surf n turf is specifically on the menu and providing your 'Rolls Royce' standards will permit you to drink the $32 bottle of wine which comes with UBD, you will break even if one of you has 'surf n turf' and save $10 per couple if you both have 'surf n turf'.

This does of course assume that in your desire to maximise the savings of your annual 'economy drive cruise' you have not gone to the extreme and swopped your $250,000 pa lifestyle for a cabin without a balcony!

Edited by Corfe Mixture
missing word

We were on Royal two weeks ago and went to the Crowne Grill one night. Outstanding meal and service, great steak cooked to complete perfection. Will definitely be going again on our next Princess cruise.

Reading this thread makes me realise that the majority of those who complain about the declining standard of food in the Crown Grill probably live $250,000 pa lifestyles for the rest of the year, go on cruises to economise but expect the same standards they enjoy EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR when they are not on a cruise.

If 'surf n turf' is really so important to you, then can I recommend you make use of Ultimate Balcony Dining. Surf n turf is specifically on the menu and providing your 'Rolls Royce' standards will permit you to drink the $32 bottle of wine which comes with UBD, you will break even if one of you has 'surf n turf' and save $10 per couple if you both have 'surf n turf'.

This does of course assume that in your desire to maximise the savings of your annual 'economy drive cruise' you have not gone to the extreme and swopped your $250,000 pa lifestyle for a cabin without a balcony!

LOL..

Thanks for the rant

We also ate in Crown grill for breakfast every morning. Wait staff was over the top with service; food was cooked to order and the coffee was fresh; and so were the pastries. We had quite a variety of pastry choices each day. So we were happy campers or should I say cruisers.

I never knew this was an option. Extra cost?

Here is my take on Crown Grill. Was on Emerald Jul 9th trip; but unlike the OP my family and I loved the food/ the wait staff/ and the ambiance. My two grandkids and my wife all had the surf and turf; two lobster tails plus filet mignon. Everything was cooked to perfection; food came quickly; waitstaff was excellent and we did not mind paying an extra $10 for lobster. It was worth the money just to see the kids loving their dinner. Rolls/butter excellent; Hot rolls and they brought seconds. Dessert Choices were great. We all had dessert. Grandson had the sample platter of desserts. Awesome.

Our experience too a couple of weeks ago on the Crown Princess.

For the price of $29.00, Princess can afford to have a Quality Control person there to prevent order mishaps from reaching the table. Otherwise the Crown Grill is just an expensive MDR with different tables, plates and steaks.

For the price of $29.00, Princess can afford to have a Quality Control person there to prevent order mishaps from reaching the table. Otherwise the Crown Grill is just an expensive MDR with different tables, plates and steaks.

Unfortunately that's exactly how I've come to see the CG the last couple of years.

IMO - The best word to describe the current CG experience is "inconsistent "

Srpilo

The best word to describe the current CG experience is "inconsistent "

Srpilo

I would be very curious what formal training, length of experience and incentives the CG staff have to "insure" excellence. Otherwise back to my original point, just another MDR level of service.

In looking at the new menu, none of the appetizer options work for me. Is it possible to get something else, maybe off the MD menu? For the extra $29 I really want to, at least, try to my money's worth.
Not really as the CG has a different galley. One Temecula with advanced notice we were able to get the MDR vegetarian option for that night. We also left an extra tip for that effort.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very subjective. I wouldn't order the lobster (it's frozen so nothing like fresh lobster) anyway so the lack of surf 'n turf doesn't affect me. As long as they still have a filet mignon, I'm a happy camper.

Pam,

Did you like the filet mignon at the Hill Top? When you lived in Boston.

Tony

Did you like the filet mignon at the Hill Top? When you lived in Boston.
Usually had a salad and the marinated sirloin tips. :) I lived in Marblehead but we went maybe once a month. Considered it a treat. The people watching as you waited to be seated was part of the fun. I understand the giant cactus is still there. Are the cows still there? We also went to Weylu's down Route 1. Another favorite of ours. Knew the owners. Weylu was his son's name. Sad ending there, too.

In looking at the new menu, none of the appetizer options work for me. Is it possible to get something else, maybe off the MD menu? For the extra $29 I really want to, at least, try to my money's worth.

Maybe you could check with the Crown Grill before you eat there; ask them if that is possible to order an appetizer that may be more to your liking. It does not hurt to ask