The Crown Grill has slipped another notch....

Honeybees

Love the Crown Grill, who can eat more than one main any way?? Can 't wait have a 15 day TA... plan to eat that the Crown every night... with so many days....get a chance to try most items on the menu... all great.

Our Crown Grill dinner was the one and only thing I was disappointed with on our cruise on the Crown Princess in March (besides the wait time to board which was customs' fault not Princess). While I have raved about everything else on the ships, our dinners at Crown Grill were overcooked and service was very slow and unreliable. I hate to say it because I love Princess but my lobster was rubbery, and my husband sent his steak back for being overdone (I only didn't send mine back because I don't like causing trouble.) It may be only that sailing, I don't know, but I'm going to seriously hesitate making reservations at the Crown Grill on future trips.

We also went to Crown Grill on the Crown last week of March. Food was still good but the service disappointing compared to our previous experiences. Must have been only for that sailing, or particular waiter/server.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love the Crown Grill, who can eat more than one main any way?? Can 't wait have a 15 day TA... plan to eat that the Crown every night... with so many days....get a chance to try most items on the menu... all great.

We eat more than one main, but we ask for a half portion of fish to go with our steak, or we ask for a small portion of steak and a small portion of fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stoped going to the Crown Grill when it took us 4 hours to complete our meal the service and the food was so bad. Our steaks were cold when they were served to us. My friend's steak was so over cooked he did not even eat it.

It was the FIRST time I ever complained to passengers service about anything. Somehow they checked out our complaint. We all receive a call from PS the next day and the changes were taken off. ( Royal Princess )

Tony

I don't eat steak though my other half does. Crown Grill on the Golden Princess last month was mouth watering good. Those scallops, I could just do 2 courses of those, the staff was fantastic and my other halves steak was apparently delicious. It was actually a free invite though for $29, it's not that big a deal.

It's seems we are never going to get consistency with all of the princess ships, but that's ok.

You certainly seem to have NO idea what a truly good steak house is! If you like Applebee's/Golden Corral/TGI Fridays etc.& think Texas Road House/Outback steak house etc. are great, then you really need to get out more! Crown Grill has "select" grade at best. I'm in the food industry & trust me you'll not get any better quality than that on Princess. Their seafood, surprisingly in Crown Grill was excellent.

We dined at CG on the majestic. I thought the food and service was top notch and comparable to prior experiences. They even moved our table midway when the AC kicked on and it was unbearable. I did notice the extra charge for another main but who needs it? Gotta save room for the dessert sampler [emoji846]

I can't even eat the regular dinner at CG. I want to order the Rib Eye but end up ordering the filet even though it isn't what I actually want because I simply can't eat that much.

• 2 months later...

I have not been on regularly but came upon this slightly older thread. The new revised menu clearly states that the surf add-on is the same item size as the Maine lobster upcharge - 6-7 oz. So if you are served a smaller 4oz, I would inquire and expect something else or in addition.

Me, I just go for a good steak, but did have the veal chop once and it was good. We have always had a good experience at Crown Grill. Never experienced the poor service some have mentioned on this thread. Have not been at sea for a while but wife and daughter will in November and then wife and I gone for 60 days, so it better be good as I plan to hit the Bayou a few times. So, thinking back, we might have sent a steak back once to correct the cook on it.

Strangely, my worst premium steak experience was at a Winemakers Dinner and the M'D for the evening was extremely upset and embarrassed as it was virtually the entire table had incorrectly cooked steaks. But they made it right (a complete do-over of all mains), so all is forgiven of course.

I wonder when they will start limiting your choices in the MDR [emoji848]

They already have. Two examples:

o Beef medallions gone from always available options

o Lesser number of dessert choices each evening

Agreed. On our very recent cruise I noticed fewer 'Norman Love chocolate journeys' desserts. In three weeks it appeared on the menu only once. I am sure I did not miss it because I look for this item.

The sample menu I see includes a surf and turf (filet mignon and lobster tail). I may make reservations when we're on board the Caribbean Princess in 12 days. I want to wait until then to see what the menus will be the two nights where they'll be doing open seating in the main dining room.

Princess specialty restaurants are 1/2 the price compared to those on Celebrity. However Celebrity likes to quote a high MSRP so they can discount them between 20 and 50%. I would rather a fair price to begin with than to have to haggle like I'm in port at a ship sponsored tourist trap.

We usually love the Crowne Grill, but we had issues on the Regal in March. Steak was over cooked twice and we had to send it back both times. Never had experienced that issue before. Service was spotty. Poor waiter had to take care of too many of us, unlike the preceding

Two years when there were fewer tables to each waiter, but the difference this time is the place was full I think due to so may having free dinner promos and lots of OBC. Princess was having great promos in 2016 and I think it translated to packed venues and overwhelmed the staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What you say makes perfect sense and gives me reason to think twice about booking with a 3 for free promotion.

(I only didn't send mine back because I don't like causing trouble.) It may be only that sailing, I don't know, but I'm going to seriously hesitate making reservations at the Crown Grill on future trips. Maybe if they had offered something to make up for our trouble (like a chance to try it again at a discount), but after I filled out their survey explaining the problem they offered nothing. It was ironic that our "free" meals in the main dining room offered better food and service. I hope it's not like this all the time.

For most of my life I have had the, "I don't like causing trouble attitude". I'm sure it had to do with my up bringing. My parents to this day 85 and 84 would rather die then inconvenience the neighbors with the sounds of an ambulance in the middle of the night, but that's another story. One day it suddenly dawned on me that we both work hard long hours for our money make sacrifices so we afford a cruise every few years. I have learned to speak up in a polite way if something isn't to my liking. Why should I settle for subpar service or food quality when I am paying for it. Also if enough people complain about the same thing they will be forced to make improvements. Waiting to fill out a survey will not help the situation the person who is reading the survey reads thousands of positive and negative comments perhaps for the same subject. You need to strike when the iron is hot at the time and place of the scene. Had you shown your dissatisfaction they would have probably not charged you or invited you back at a discount. Since you didn't communicate your displeasure they had no idea that you were dissatisfied.

For most of my life I have had the, "I don't like causing trouble attitude". I'm sure it had to do with my up bringing. My parents to this day 85 and 84 would rather die then inconvenience the neighbors with the sounds of an ambulance in the middle of the night, but that's another story. One day it suddenly dawned on me that we both work hard long hours for our money make sacrifices so we afford a cruise every few years. I have learned to speak up in a polite way if something isn't to my liking. Why should I settle for subpar service or food quality when I am paying for it. Also if enough people complain about the same thing they will be forced to make improvements. Waiting to fill out a survey will not help the situation the person who is reading the survey reads thousands of positive and negative comments perhaps for the same subject. You need to strike when the iron is hot at the time and place of the scene. Had you shown your dissatisfaction they would have probably not charged you or invited you back at a discount. Since you didn't communicate your displeasure they had no idea that you were dissatisfied.

In the DR the waiter always asks if your meal was satisfactory.

If on occasion it wasn't (and those times are far & few between) I just tell them outright it was terrible, if it really was. I always get that look from my wife who then says after the waiter has left I shouldn't say such things.

Why not?

Sorry. I paid for a meal that wasn't up to minimum standards & they should know it.

I stoped going to the Crown Grill when it took us 4 hours to complete our meal the service and the food was so bad. Our steaks were cold when they were served to us. My friend's steak was so over cooked he did not even eat it.

It was the FIRST time I ever complained to passengers service about anything. Somehow they checked out our complaint. We all receive a call from PS the next day and the changes were taken off. ( Royal Princess )

Tony

I can never understand why people wait to go to passenger services, fill out the survey or find Cruise Critic for the first time when they get home. Why didn't you just tell the waiter or the Maitre d' at the time your food was served? You had the evidence in front of you and I'm sure they would have been more accommodating fearing that you would go to passenger services to tattle.

Here is my take on Crown Grill. Was on Emerald Jul 9th trip; but unlike the OP my family and I loved the food/ the wait staff/ and the ambiance. My two grandkids and my wife all had the surf and turf; two lobster tails plus filet mignon. Everything was cooked to perfection; food came quickly; waitstaff was excellent and we did not mind paying an extra $10 for lobster. It was worth the money just to see the kids loving their dinner. Rolls/butter excellent; Hot rolls and they brought seconds. Dessert Choices were great. We all had dessert. Grandson had the sample platter of desserts. Awesome. We also ate in Crown grill for breakfast every morning. Wait staff was over the top with service; food was cooked to order and the coffee was fresh; and so were the pastries. We had quite a variety of pastry choices each day. So we were happy campers or should I say cruisers.

I can never understand why people wait to go to passenger services, fill out the survey or find Cruise Critic for the first time when they get home. Why didn't you just tell the waiter or the Maitre d' at the time your food was served? You had the evidence in front of you and I'm sure they would have been more accommodating fearing that you would go to passenger services to tattle.

Fear of speaking up? :confused:

And they didn't drop the price from $29 to $25 as with Sabatini's Trattoria. I wonder when they will start limiting your choices in the MDR [emoji848]

The question is not that there are fewer choices but rather will they limit you to only one from each category like in the specialty restaurants??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums