MDR ordering question

kqcallahan

Seems I know the answer on other lines but not holland..

What is the rule about ordering multiple apps or mains? Like am I allowed to order two apps? can they be the same? I don't order soup or salad ever, and it makes for a long meal when everyone else is eating away. are there some things I can't ask for multiples of?

Thanks!

Seems I know the answer on other lines but not holland..

What is the rule about ordering multiple apps or mains? Like am I allowed to order two apps? can they be the same? I don't order soup or salad ever, and it makes for a long meal when everyone else is eating away. are there some things I can't ask for multiples of?

Thanks!

Order whatever you want and as much as you want. On surf&turf night, I order three lobster tails and no turf. You are also invited to attend the Late Snack in the Lido Market if you wish to enjoy some of the theme meals.

On a back-to-back cruise to Alaska a few years ago, I had the crab legs appetizer and commented to my waiter that there was just not enough of them. The second week, my waiter brought a plate filled with crab legs. When I asked how many orders were on the plate, he held up five fingers and smile broadly.

Enjoy your cruise dining on HAL

This is not a problem at all on HAL. I've done this repeatedly and am known to have no entree, but 2 appies (same or not), a soup and salad. The best waiters don't blink and eye.

We've seen many tables for two order 3 entrees (every night).

Enjoy!

I've ordered multiple apps and requested that 1 be served as my main course.

When they had surf & turf, I requested 2 filets instead of the lobster tail. Someone else at my table ordered 2 lobster tails instead of the filet. No problems

They'll pretty much accommodate any reasonable requests. My bother in law often gets a shrimp cocktail to start, followed by a shrimp cocktail, and then his entrée. We usually try to reach a consensus on the number of courses we're doing before we order. We'd rather not leave anyone sitting and staring while the rest of the table eats.

There are some things that can't be done. I know once I asked for an appetizer portion of a main dish and was told they could not do that. I also asked for a main dish portion of an appetizer and was told they could not do that, though I could get multiple portions of that appetizer. There are a couple of things I remember not being able to get before they would normally be served -- so I could not get a soup/salad course choice served with the rest of the table's appetizers or appetizers served with the main dish course.

Also, if you go completely off-script and order just a bowl of soup and a baked potato, every staff member who passes your table will stop to make sure you are not waiting for something else or if there was some kind of problem with your meal. I was not feeling well one night and I just wanted soup and a baked potato with butter. I have never had so many people stop at the table to check that everything was fine with my meal -- my waiter knew that was what I ordered but other waiters walking by asked, the head waiters for not only my section but two other sections stopped to make sure everything was fine, and the dining room managers stopped by to make sure that my meal was as it should be. Even wine stewards were making sure I was not waiting for anything else. I really did not think it would cause such a fuss, but it did. So if you have an unusual meal selection, you may be the center of attention.

While I never thought about it people's responses makes me wonder:

a lot of people have said they have gotten 2 (someone said 3) lobster tails but no steak.

someone else said they got two steaks but no lobster

So now I'm curious if anyone has ordered steak and 2 lobster tails?

Could one just order a burger in the MDR if they wanted?

You have to order from the actual menu. There's a lunch burger on occasion, but you can't just order anything any time.

While I never thought about it people's responses makes me wonder:

a lot of people have said they have gotten 2 (someone said 3) lobster tails but no steak.

someone else said they got two steaks but no lobster

So now I'm curious if anyone has ordered steak and 2 lobster tails?

If you mean surf and turf - add surf, then yes. It's been done.

Could one just order a burger in the MDR if they wanted?
The kids' menu has sliders--vegetarian, turkey, or beef. You can order from that menu whenever you want without giving prior notice.

You can order multiples of anything. However, as another poster pointed out, you cannot get your entrée while others at your table are just getting their apps. But you can order multiples of an app and enjoy one while they have moved on to the salad course, etc.

I've done all sorts of special ordering. If mushroom ravioli is on the menu, I'll order an extra plate of that as a side for sharing at the table. I've often asked to substitute the vegetables on my order with those on a different item. On surf and turf night, I regularly have the veal chop, and get them to put a couple of tails on it. On one memorable cruise our table (of 6) just got the waiter to bring a plate of 12 tails for us to have. :)

We always do late fixed dining, and our waiters get to know us pretty quickly! :)

HAL doesn't have any rules in the main dining room about how many of anything you can order.

So if you see something that you really like and want 2 or 3 of them -- go for it.

Does this apply in their speciality restaurants as well? It is not necessarily just in the MDR when certain portions may not be adequate for some folks, so if that is the case, can they order more in those (non-MDR) restaurants. Or will they be restricted on what and how much they can order? Does anyone know?

Does this apply in their speciality restaurants as well? It is not necessarily just in the MDR when certain portions may not be adequate for some folks, so if that is the case, can they order more in those (non-MDR) restaurants. Or will they be restricted on what and how much they can order? Does anyone know?

In the Pinnacle Grill you can order multiple appetizers but only one entree unless you wish to pay an additional charge.

The PG portions are MORE than adequate. Steaks are available in different sizes and you can order as many sides to go with your meal as you wish.

From our experience in the PG, many people have difficulty finishing their main course. Just too much ;)