Price Drop the next day

sassmofi

Hello All,

Would you cancel your reservation with a TA if you are not within Final Payment if f the TA refuses to adjust the price drop especially within 24 hours? I am very tempted. This is probably my own fault doing for using a TA and just looking for the best OBC offer. I did not expect to need much from the TA.

On Friday, I was in the middle of booking my first cruise with Celebrity (also my first cruise in several years). The TA had put a hold on the booking on Friday and said she would process the payment today as it was at the end of the day on Friday. The cruise is in September and not inside the cancellation deadline yet. On Saturday, I saw the price of the cruise drop by almost $800 total. I emailed the TA, but she was not reachable till today. The price drop is still currently showing on the website. The TA sent me the invoice for the amount on Friday, and then responded to my email from the weekend that Celebrity does not make adjustments when paid in full. I know this is not true. I have emailed the price guarantee from the website especially as it was less than 48 hours.

I have place a hold reservation just in case.

You agreed to pay $X on friday.

Because it was the end of the business day the transaction was not completed??

Price is now $X - $800 but the TA won't honor today"s price???

What??

Unless there's a cancellation fee that would amount to more than $800 I certainly would cancel.

In any event I would never do business with that TA again.

I'm sure they would charge the higher rate if the price increased over the weekend.

That's why I never pay in full until the deadline... I would cancel unless the cancellation fee is outrageous... which I can't see being more than $800 [emoji23]. I'm assuming you'd still be making out on the deal... good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since this cruise is in September it is getting very close to Celebrity's final payment date. Some TAs require final payment earlier to insure that nothing gets fouled up with the final payment. But that doesn't change the actual final payment date & a reputable TA will honor a price drop.

I would talk to the TA and challenge what they say is Celebrity's policy and ask them to do a 3 way call with Celebrity to confirm the policy.

If they refuse I would cancel the and notify Celebrity of how this TA is operating by not honoring the cruise line policies.

I would rebook with one of the large TAs that does a lot of cruise business.

We use a large online TA. On a recent cruise we noticed 2 fairly large ($200@ and $400) price drops. Both times our TA lowered our fare, and on the second one we were able to upgrade to the next level of cabin while keeping all perks. If your TA is unable to do it, perhaps you should consider others.

As others have said, time to move on. $800 is a lot of money. We used a big online TA for a while but when they stopped being proactive on price drops we dropped them for three cruises and only recently went back because of the deals they were offering. Sure enough, a few weeks later, price dropped $270 per cabin and we have two booked. Our agent had the new pricing for us within 12 hours. Even after final payment they should be able to at least get you an upgrade. Be polite but stand your ground. It is your money. WIth all of that said, your signature says Illinois/London. The rules are different if you are using a UK based TA, then you are stuck. When we travel with any of our UK cousins we do the booking for them using our US based TA to avoid the too bad, those are the UK rules.

Absolutely I would cancel. Your TA is wrong. Make a courtesy hold to lock that price in; call and cancel with TA; then use a different TA or book direct. I've certainly gotten price drops before final payment by TAs. The fact that you've paid early shouldn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The TA sent me the invoice for the amount on Friday, and then responded to my email from the weekend that Celebrity does not make adjustments when paid in full. I know this is not true. I have emailed the price guarantee from the website especially as it was less than 48 hours.

If it is before the final; payment deadline, it does not matter if you have paid in full. Celebrity, if contacted by the TA, would give you the price reduction and refund the money to your crtedit card.

You either have a lazy TA or one who does not want the lower commission that a lower cruise cost would bring.

As others have said, time to move on. $800 is a lot of money. We used a big online TA for a while but when they stopped being proactive on price drops we dropped them for three cruises and only recently went back because of the deals they were offering. Sure enough, a few weeks later, price dropped $270 per cabin and we have two booked. Our agent had the new pricing for us within 12 hours. Even after final payment they should be able to at least get you an upgrade. Be polite but stand your ground. It is your money. WIth all of that said, your signature says Illinois/London. The rules are different if you are using a UK based TA, then you are stuck. When we travel with any of our UK cousins we do the booking for them using our US based TA to avoid the too bad, those are the UK rules.

No need to book for your cousins, they can reserve using a US TA themselves ;). I presume the OP is dealing with a US booking as they quoted the price difference in $ and not pounds sterling.

I used to use a TA but never really benefited from it. Always felt like bothering them when I called to ask about anything (and it was rare) and I didn't really get any perk from them so I didn't gain anything, only restricted me from managing my own trip. I envy others that get nice perks from their TA making it worthwhile, Canada does not have this so much and TA's only seem to extend whatever is offered in general to anyone just by calling the cruise line direct. I also envy others that have really good relationships with their TA, especially TAs that look out for them and price drops along the way. I have never ever had any TA do anything more than book the trip that I was doing all the work to find ... silly of me.

The final nail for me using a TA was when the one I had been using, for at least 5 years, left the agency while I had a current cruise booked with her. Trip getting closer and not hearing a word, nothing. Finally reach out and after few calls told she is no longer there and has moved to another agency... nice. I had my parents going to her, another friend, friends mother ... really bad. I had to ask if they could at least look into getting my paperwork to me.

I would be cancelling for sure if I gained in any way for doing so, the TA responding like that would make the relationship awkward for me. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.