What happens when you switch rooms?

Moparop

We are traveling in a large group on Zaandam this summer. Because of booking issues, I will be sleeping in a room that is currently assigned to someone else in our party.My son is assigned to his uncle's room, but will now be in our room.

I understand that we can go to the purser's office and get things switched around, but what exactly do they switch there? I've already got all of my son's charges linked to my credit card. Will that just change who is holding which room key? Does it change how packages are linked and such?

By packages do you mean promos, like Ready,Set,Sail? I think those would stay with the original room booking and whoever is staying in that room. You should be able to have your credit card pay for anyone that you choose.

By packages do you mean promos, like Ready,Set,Sail? I think those would stay with the original room booking and whoever is staying in that room. You should be able to have your credit card pay for anyone that you choose.

Yes, I'm wondering about a promo. We have an explore4 for the people assigned to the room I was originally to sleep in, as well as my son who was staying with his uncle. The room I will be switching to does not have the explore 4 promo associated with it. Does that mean that we would each lose the promo?

Also, the room I will be sleeping in is currently a single, but once all of the shuffling is done my 7 year old daughter will be in there as well. Not a problem, right?

Yes, I'm wondering about a promo. We have an explore4 for the people assigned to the room I was originally to sleep in, as well as my son who was staying with his uncle. The room I will be switching to does not have the explore 4 promo associated with it. Does that mean that we would each lose the promo?

Also, the room I will be sleeping in is currently a single, but once all of the shuffling is done my 7 year old daughter will be in there as well. Not a problem, right?

The last time we used Explore4 the drink deal was tied to our cabin card, so this could be an issue. Once onboard, everything is through your cabin card (no other ID needed).

I'm confused. Do you mean three people (you, your son, and your daughter) will be in the single room?

There could be problems depending on the bedding and life boat capacity of the area you are switching to.

As this is not a common question asked on the HAL board and, as you can see by the responses, no one is jumping in to state that they have done the room switch to get around booking requirements, you may have to wait until you get on board to see if you can switch.

On two different HAL cruises with large family groups we have shuffled in which cabin we sleep. However, we just went to the front desk and asked for spare key cards to each room. This meant we had our original room card linked to a credit card for charges in a room we didn't sleep in plus a completely blank room card that worked for the cabin where we slept.

In the event of an emergency, everyone was to report to the originally assigned muster which is not inconvient as they are all on the same deck.

The promo is linked to the booking number. The booking number is linked to the cabin and if you swap people just be sure to let them know and they can link the booking number (and accounts linked to it) to the new cabin. We recently took an upsell and moved cabins and I asked the agent about purchases we had made for the cabin and he said those were on the booking and would follow to the new cabin where they would be delivered. Promo should follow the passengers on a booking number the same way.

Now, when you inform them of the switching if there is an issue of number of people a cabin can accommodate that's a different thing.

To the OP - For basic information could you please explain the following with a little more specificity::

1. What were the original reservations

2. What do you want to accomplish with the change

Why you did the first reservation and why you now want the change would be interesting, but not necessary.

To the OP - For basic information could you please explain the following with a little more specificity::

Why you did the first reservation and why you now want the change would be interesting, but not necessary.

I think there is a lesson to be learned here: Choose your cabin with care at the time of booking, particularly if booked with promos. This isn't the same thing as selecting a hotel room.

My husband , my children, and I make up a family of 5. This trip is being paid for by my parents to celebrate their 50th anniversary. We originally had 4 cabins for my siblings and I. Since HAL sleeps a max of 4 people per cabin, my oldest was put in my brother's cabin. Our cabins all are slated to have the full drink package for adults and then do a land trip. Since booking, my brother gained a fiancée. My parents want her to come on the trip. In order to accommodate her, my dad had to book a 5th cabin as a single. This cabin does not have the drink package attached nor the land trip. The fiancée will be sleeping in my brother's room and my son will be back in the room I was booked in. Since the room cannot sleep 5 and my son is a 12 year old and I didn't want him in a single alone. I then decided to take DD to the fiancée's room, which is directly across the hall from our original room so that my husband wasn't having all three kids by himself in a room.

So, none of this is my doing but the problems are all mine. It's a free trip so I am trying not to complain, but it definitely puts a major hiccup in our plans. My parents are very much of the "it'll all work out and you'll be fine" philosophy but if I am thinking when I get on the ship that I had Explore 4 and now I don't -- I need to get my anger about this before it ruins my parents' celebration.

My husband , my children, and I make up a family of 5. This trip is being paid for by my parents to celebrate their 50th anniversary. We originally had 4 cabins for my siblings and I. Since HAL sleeps a max of 4 people per cabin, my oldest was put in my brother's cabin. Our cabins all are slated to have the full drink package for adults and then do a land trip. Since booking, my brother gained a fiancée. My parents want her to come on the trip. In order to accommodate her, my dad had to book a 5th cabin as a single. This cabin does not have the drink package attached nor the land trip. The fiancée will be sleeping in my brother's room and my son will be back in the room I was booked in. Since the room cannot sleep 5 and my son is a 12 year old and I didn't want him in a single alone. I then decided to take DD to the fiancée's room, which is directly across the hall from our original room so that my husband wasn't having all three kids by himself in a room.

So, none of this is my doing but the problems are all mine. It's a free trip so I am trying not to complain, but it definitely puts a major hiccup in our plans. My parents are very much of the "it'll all work out and you'll be fine" philosophy but if I am thinking when I get on the ship that I had Explore 4 and now I don't -- I need to get my anger about this before it ruins my parents' celebration.

Wow, quite a back story. Interesting how one small change caused this much downstream disruption.

Maybe the best thing would be for Dad to pick up the bar tabs and not let this necessary switch or loss of the drink package cause this much pre- cruise stress. I also think there is a HAL prohibition about anyone under a certain age occupying cabins by themselves so you are right about the current cabin juggle.

Though I think I agree with Dad, it will work out. Somehow. Have a wonderful time.

OP: This not a "lesson learned" case. My apologies. What a mix-up! But I am sure that everything will work out in the end. I like the suggestion of giving the bar bill to your father since it was his action, albeit a very generous one, which precipitated this confusion. Nonetheless, enjoy your cruise - which will be even more enjoyable because it is free!

OP: This not a "lesson learned" case. My apologies. What a mix-up! But I am sure that everything will work out in the end. I like the suggestion of giving the bar bill to your father since it was his action, albeit a very generous one, which precipitated this confusion. Nonetheless, enjoy your cruise - which will be even more enjoyable because it is free!

It's ok! The backstory is so convoluted that I didn't want to get into it if I didn't have to. He's covering airfare and the land package for everyone, so I really feel like I cannot ask him to pay for beyond that. We've been told that any room charges are our own to cover. My mom has told the fiancee to pack bottles of wine to drink since she won't have the package. Each of the rooms has the Explore 4/signature drink package for the adults in the room, except the fiancee. Because my son was the second person assigned to his room, he became an adult fare at the age of 12 and thus has the full explore 4. She may end up a big winner while I end up the loser.

This all would have been a lot easier if my brother met her 6 months earlier. ;p:')

It's ok! The backstory is so convoluted that I didn't want to get into it if I didn't have to. He's covering airfare and the land package for everyone, so I really feel like I cannot ask him to pay for beyond that. We've been told that any room charges are our own to cover. My mom has told the fiancee to pack bottles of wine to drink since she won't have the package. Each of the rooms has the Explore 4/signature drink package for the adults in the room, except the fiancee. Because my son was the second person assigned to his room, he became an adult fare at the age of 12 and thus has the full explore 4. She may end up a big winner while I end up the loser.

This all would have been a lot easier if my brother met her 6 months earlier. ;p:')

Since he had the poor judgment to meet her too late, leave fiancee in the single room and let your brother figure it out!;)

We were once told they don't care who sleeps where. Just see if you can get extra cards for the rooms. When you registered online, you assigned people to the credit cards, so I don't see why that would change. The room stewards will straighten out the life jackets, they would have to anyway for little people.

Since he had the poor judgment to meet her too late, leave fiancee in the single room and let your brother figure it out!;)

That was my original thought!! My mom then pointed out, if my brother decided to sleep in her room one night then I'd have a 12 year old in a single. This way he's not alone for who knows how long. Who knew being a family of 5 was so tough!?

We were once told they don't care who sleeps where. Just see if you can get extra cards for the rooms. When you registered online, you assigned people to the credit cards, so I don't see why that would change. The room stewards will straighten out the life jackets, they would have to anyway for little people.

But the problem is that all but one of the cabins has the Explore4 program, and that goes with the cabin. The single cabin does not have it, and guess who is stuck with the single cabin?

We had a similar experience with our family of 16 and we were paying for everything. I'll try to make a long story short on what we did. We all checked in as we booked. After we boarded we got some extra cards (room only) at the front desk and those that changed rooms had to use 2 cards - the original one for drinks and leaving the ship and the other to get into their room.

They really didn't care who slept where.

Hope this helps.

We had a similar experience with our family of 16 and we were paying for everything. I'll try to make a long story short on what we did. We all checked in as we booked. After we boarded we got some extra cards (room only) at the front desk and those that changed rooms had to use 2 cards - the original one for drinks and leaving the ship and the other to get into their room.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I think Fiance would make a nice impression on her intended's family if she had sense enough, and courtesy, to take the single room and pay for her own drinks. That would be a high class mannerly way to join with the family on the cruise, IMO.

Hope this helps.

Just follow what these good folks have advised and all will be well.

Your Dad has a big heart,,,, would he like to adopt another child?:D

Edited by regnig