Corkage Fee - Has it returned?

I wonder if Star Class guests will be exempt from this corkage fee.

Star Class have inclusive packages, specialty dining, drink packages, a genie. Not sure why they might bring a bottle with them. If not eating dinner in a Speciality Restaurant, generally they have full service in their cabin.

Good question though. Don't have the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One reason would be that they prefer brands that are not available on the ship.
It is a weakening explanation. Some people prefer Hires Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, Seven Up, or Pepsi Cola. The undeniable trend for the largest mass market cruise lines is toward more and more capitalization on the passengers as a captive market. I don't see any indications that movement in that direction is slowing, and the eventual end-game almost surely includes eliminating bringing aboard practically any consumable for which the cruise line sells something analogous.

It is a weakening explanation. Some people prefer Hires Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, Seven Up, or Pepsi Cola. The undeniable trend for the largest mass market cruise lines is toward more and more capitalization on the passengers as a captive market. I don't see any indications that movement in that direction is slowing, and the eventual end-game almost surely includes eliminating bringing aboard practically any consumable for which the cruise line sells something analogous.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happening within the year. NCL already started this recently, and no longer allows people to bring bottled water and soda onboard. RC doesn't allow it either (in writing), but in practice it happens all the time. I can see them putting an end to it soon.

Yep. If we don't purchase the BP then we'll bring a couple of bottles of wine to have as a mid-day drink also on sea days before heading to the DL in the evening before dinner. So the corkage fee doesn't effect us either. :wine-glass:

LOL!! Some waiter barging into our cabin with a bill in hand for corkage as we are sitting on our balcony with our wine in hand comes to mind. ;p;p

Case in point. I prefer Dasani bottled water. Can't stand the water the ship sells on the ship. Personal taste and

opinion of course. So I toss 6-7 bottles in a small checked in bag to enjoy. If I could not do that, I would drink the

water out of the tap...still better than the ship's brands IMHO. :o

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happening within the year. NCL already started this recently, and no longer allows people to bring bottled water and soda onboard. RC doesn't allow it either (in writing), but in practice it happens all the time. I can see them putting an end to it soon.

I'm not sure . There are policies that all cruise lines eventually moved toward the same general policy . Smoking restrictions and the movement away from fixed dining to greater choice including surcharge options are two examples .

In this case cruise lines may continue to differentiate themselves . The inclusion of drink packages, thereby eliminating the need to bring your own, is one path . Carnivals discount water is another . Princess and HAL offer happy hour pricing .

The one free bottle of wine policy will be hard to eliminate . I don't think a surcharge changes this . RCI cracking down on bringing on non-alcohol will be an even bigger change .

In this case cruise lines may continue to differentiate themselves . The inclusion of drink packages, thereby eliminating the need to bring your own, is one path .
That's a vertical differentiation: You pay more and get more included, subsidized to some extent by those who are choosing based on other criteria and therefore paying more and getting nothing more included. It ends up being a wash for the cruise lines involved: Both decisions lead to the same successful result; it's just a matter of whether they're harvesting the bargain hunters or harvesting the big drinkers. No business model will get you both.

Carnivals discount water is another
I think that that is also a wash: High price, low sales. Lower price and very likely folks are buying it on board and carrying it off-shore with them because it is so affordable.

The one free bottle of wine policy will be hard to eliminate
No harder than introducing a $7.95 fee for room service.

Thank you for the dissection .

That's a vertical differentiation: You pay more and get more included, subsidized to some extent by those who are choosing based on other criteria and therefore paying more and getting nothing more included. It ends up being a wash for the cruise lines involved: Both decisions lead to the same successful result; it's just a matter of whether they're harvesting the bargain hunters or harvesting the big drinkers. No business model will get you both.

I think that that is also a wash: High price, low sales. Lower price and very likely folks are buying it on board and carrying it off-shore with them because it is so affordable.

No harder than introducing a $7.95 fee for room service.

No harder and equally not well accepted .

As always your analysis is interesting . Very interesting .

And the move toward more of a fare+fees model surely won't end here. It is *working* all over the travel and hospitality industry.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I assume wine we buy in Vintages and carry to the dining room or restaurants will not have a corkage fee since we didn't bring it onboard. Is that correct

Yes, but we are only talking about bottles. not wine in glasses.