What if we don't want to do an Excursion in a Caribbean port?

Paulinda

We've been on cruises before but we've never been on a Caribbean cruise. Our first one will be in late Feb. My wife is not very interested in any of the ship planned excursions that entail snorkeling, swimming, scuba diving or other water activities. I know there are some excursions that don't center around those sea/water activities but what if we simply don't want to go on those or they don't interest us? Can we simply wander around the port we are in or find a beach to just sit and relax? Is doing that even possible?

She's told me all she really is looking to do is put her toes in the water, relax on a beach and have a few drinks. I'm sure shopping isn't something she mentioned but I know that interests her too. I'm thinking maybe we should skip the cruise and go to an all inclusive resort? The current deals on Holland are too tempting to pass.

We've been on cruises before but we've never been on a Caribbean cruise. Our first one will be in late Feb. My wife is not very interested in any of the ship planned excursions that entail snorkeling, swimming, scuba diving or other water activities. I know there are some excursions that don't center around those sea/water activities but what if we simply don't want to go on those or they don't interest us? Can we simply wander around the port we are in or find a beach to just sit and relax? Is doing that even possible?

She's told me all she really is looking to do is put her toes in the water, relax on a beach and have a few drinks. I'm sure shopping isn't something she mentioned but I know that interests her too. I'm thinking maybe we should skip the cruise and go to an all inclusive resort? The current deals on Holland are too tempting to pass.

It's your cruise do whatever you wish. Every Caribbean port has plenty to do, some you may have to do a shuttle to get to the action since some piers are away from the main cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is NO need to do a ship's excursion unless something appeals.

You are free to explore any port on your own. Just make sure you are back by the all on board time (normally 1/2 hour earlier than the time the ship leaves).

Lots to do/wander around/ enjoy the sunshine and nice weather or some people like to stay on the ship and have it all to themselves.

No matter what you do, have fun and do what suits YOU.

Yes you can just wander around a port but make sure you don't leave the areas populated by the cruise passengers and don't wear any jewellery ashore. Be prepared to be hounded by very aggressive merchants and in some ports you will be followed by someone looking for an opportunity.

Some islands are safer than others. We feel quite at ease in Curaçao and Aruba but these are more prosperous islands. San Juan is good for wandering. Jamaica is just plain dangerous. We don't leave the ship there anymore as it is just a constant hassle.

A Caribbean cruise will include Half Moon Cay which is HAL's private island and has a wonderful beach.

Grand Turk has a beautiful beach right at the pier.

That is no law saying that you have to do ship or private excursions.

It's your cruise -- do what you want to do.

On our last couple of cruises, we didn't book any of HAL's excursions. Nor did we do any excursions from vendors ashore. We just wondered around on our own.

There are lots of taxi's in the various ports that you can take to go to a beach or do whatever you want to do if you want to get away from the ship area.

Just remember you also have the option to make some ports "sea days" with an uncrowded pool and uncrowded lunch.

No need to get off at all unless something appeals to you.

Roy

I would not be exaggerating to say that over the past forty years we have ported in the Caribbean hundreds of times. And in all of those ports we have never, ever, taken a single cruise excursions (and likely never will). We have no problem getting around islands using taxis, local buses, or rental cars. We are beach and snorkel people and have our favorite spots in just about every island in the Caribbean. Paying inflated prices for excursions that take you to places overrun with other cruisers...is not our idea of fun.

Hank

We rarely book any ships excursion in Caribbeans. Usually it is either private tours or beach on our own.

Not all ports feature beaches nearby. Do your research about beaches in ports of call section.

If you give your itin I can let you know what is the best or closest in areas. We cruised mostly in Caribbeans and haven't been only on 3 islands.

Absolutely not, if you don't take a ships tour in every port, they throw you overboard. :evilsmile:

Seriously, you can do whatever you like, take a taxi to a beach, go for a walk on your own, even stay on board if you like.

Not only don't you have to take an excursion, most experienced cruisers would tell you not to, for several reasons.. the chief ones being they are overpriced and overcrowded. Use these boards (including the port based ones) for ideas of things to do. Depending upon the size of your party and hours in port, a taxi or rental car may be your best bet. We often just get in a cab and tell the driver to take us on a one/two hour tour of the island and then bring us to a beach where we can get a waterside lunch and relax without "the others." We have had some really great days doing this, at substantially less cost than cruise line excursions. There are many recommended tour guides that you can hire for a half/full day to be your introduction to the island and insure a great day. If you tell me what islands you are going to, I can give you some ideas. Enjoy!

Having been all o ver the Craibbean on cruise ships and land resorts,, I can think of very few places where there is any particuallly good reason to take a sh ip's sponsored excursion in almost all of the islands. Do your reading ahead of time and go off on your own to see or do whatever interests you. Or don't get off the ship in port at all if you don't want to.

In all our cruises we have taken two bus tours, one in Ireland, to Jameson Distillery and one from Naples to Pompeii. That just about covers the range of our interest. Caribbean Islands don't do anything for us.

But by all means, go ashore so we can enjoy an empty ship. :)

Depending on which ports you are visiting, you may find there are ready beach resort and shopping set-up right at the end of the dock. Just for the cruise ship passengers. Food, drinks, souvenirs and even some cultural activities. Unfortunately a number of places in the Caribbean are not safe for DIY exploration, so these are one way around that nagging problem.

If one of your stops is Half Moon Cay, the HAL private beach resort I hope you do take the tender to enjoy the very lovely privacy of this special stop. But even there, many still stay on board and enjoy the quiet of a near empty ship or take advantage of the spa specials offered on port days.

I don't think I could stay on the ship . I love the Caribbean! In Barbados you could do the Harrison Caves, that was really good. St. Kitts we like to wander at the port, lots of good shopping, also in St. Martin. There are so many things to see.

Good solid advice on how to enjoy your Caribbean cruise without taking a HAL excursion. In all the years we have been sailing in the Caribbean, I can only recall one HAL excursion we took.

As has already been said, most islands are quite safe by staying in the main areas, or going to a beach. In Aruba, one of our favourite ports, we spend the morning wandering around the area around the port, then take the local bus out to the hotel area and have lunch at one of the hotel patios. We usually take a taxi back to the ship. The local bus is usually full with folks from the hotels, or condo residents. Always a good day in Aruba.

You can do whatever you want...it's your vacation.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm checking out the port of calls. There are a few we want to do that are more sightseeing than water activities.

You might want to consider simply hiring a taxi to give you some kind of island tour. Its usually cheaper than the overpriced excursions and you will not be stuck on a bus tour with over 50 other cruisers. Another option is to simply rent a car and drive around an island (we have done this on many islands).

Hank

Thanks for all the replies. I'm checking out the port of calls. There are a few we want to do that are more sightseeing than water activities.

Best first step - identify the ports, then decide on the itinerary you want based upon the ports visited. Then check out options for each and make your plans. San Juan, for example, is a great old Spanish colonial city you can explore on your own; St. Maarten offers beaches and shopping; private islands like Half Moon, or Great Stirrup are just beach visits; Jamaican ports strike some as good chances to stay aboard and enjoy an almost empty ship.

We have never booked an excursion thru the cruiseship/line - we always research the Port of Call board here and decide what we want to do. And that includes finding the perfect beach to veg out on......

In Aruba on a HAL Panama Canal cruise, we got off the ship and took a taxi. The driver stopped at a grocery store so we could get drinks and snacks and took us to Eagle Beach. We rented chairs for $5.00 each and sat under a tree. Had a great day and took a taxi back to the ship. Cost: $50.00 total. Cost of HAL Eagle Beach excursion: $120.00 each. Savings: $190.00. We had loads of fun talking to all the locals and saved quite a bit. Could have shopped on the way back, but it isn't our thing on vacation.