I hate packages

yuvraj

In regard to drink packages

When we first booked this upcoming cruise last year, we bought two ultimate drink packages but then we realized the frequency we'd be off this ship in the med, the # of hours off doing excursions in the countries and we saw that the drink packages weren't worth the money. I think that's the most important factor to consider - how long are you off and away from the ship before you buy a drink package? So we'll just buy drinks with our OBC.

Love the drink package, we save lots of money with it , just with a couple of glasses of wine for lunch and dinner and we break even, will be diamond plus after next cruise so I will get 30 percent off, also did dinning package on last 2 cruises.

Drinks packages, dinning packages, internet packages, spa packages. No doubt excursion packages will be on offer soon.

I hate them all. The deliberation and pontificating over whether they are worth it, the caveats, restrictions, etc. Plus sometimes they are simply a con when you go on board and find special offers that make the packages pointless.

Is it just me? Posting this because I am hoping there are others who like me just don't like pre-booking packages.

BTW. I drink sensibly. I eat in speciality restaurants. I have the odd spa treatment. I do all this without busting my budget or feeling the need to buy packages to save a few dollars. Why does everybody think they need to pre-book a package?

I buy the drink package just because I enjoy not having to worry about my bar bill getting too high. I know the full price going in, and I simply order drinks as I desire them. It's not a money saving equation really, just a convenience.

We don't fret over will we get our money's worth, we just so enjoyed walking off that NCL cruise owing $0.00 Now we do that on all cruises.

I buy the drink package just because I enjoy not having to worry about my bar bill getting too high. I know the full price going in, and I simply order drinks as I desire them. It's not a money saving equation really, just a convenience.

Businesses must love marketing that uses psychology against one's self financial interest.

Drinks packages, dinning packages, internet packages, spa packages. No doubt excursion packages will be on offer soon.

I hate them all. The deliberation and pontificating over whether they are worth it, the caveats, restrictions, etc. Plus sometimes they are simply a con when you go on board and find special offers that make the packages pointless.

Is it just me? Posting this because I am hoping there are others who like me just don't like pre-booking packages.

BTW. I drink sensibly. I eat in speciality restaurants. I have the odd spa treatment. I do all this without busting my budget or feeling the need to buy packages to save a few dollars. Why does everybody think they need to pre-book a package?

We don't except for Internet when I have to work. Then I don't have a choice.

But I don't care about this issue as long as I am not forced to buy them. If it is convenient for other people I don't see a problem.

Oops, might need to take more care on what I post and how I phrase things. Wasn't expecting some of the responses and I certainly didn't intend my initial post to be a rant.

Lesson learnt. Will now sneak away quietly.

We don't mind the packages. They provide value options for different people and their specific preferences. For example, we don't buy internet, beverage or spa packages. But we do purchase BOGO for short cruise and 5N dining packages for 10N or longer cruises because of their values to us. Others prefer beverages because they like to drink more than the few occasional that we would purchase or Internet for keeping in touch/updated, where we could care less if the world came to an end .

Businesses must love marketing that uses psychology against one's self financial interest.

No one would take a cruise or go on any vacation if "One's self financial interest" were a driving factor. That money would be much better used saved. Food, water, clothing, and shelter I'm sure is what you spend your money on then save the rest. Just as I'm also sure you are using the free internet provided by your local library to post on topics here.

What I don't understand is how you are able to offer ANY opinion on a cruise. It would be against your own self financial interest to go on one.

We always buy the bev pkg. Totally worth it to us. Saves us a lot of money and we don't have to worry about what we are drinking on the ship.

We have for the most part found that pre-booking the package is less than booking onboard.

We would spend the same amount with or without the package, so the convenience for us makes it worth it.

Offering packages provides choices. I don't see any problem with that. At least they don't set up their packages like auto makers do where you have to buy a moon roof if you want an upgraded sound system.:rolleyes:

Brilliant analogy! :D

No one would take a cruise or go on any vacation if "One's self financial interest" were a driving factor. That money would be much better used saved. Food, water, clothing, and shelter I'm sure is what you spend your money on then save the rest. Just as I'm also sure you are using the free internet provided by your local library to post on topics here.

What I don't understand is how you are able to offer ANY opinion on a cruise. It would be against your own self financial interest to go on one.

Biker's point isn't that cruising is against one's financial interest, he's saying that Royal has successfully made customers willing to spend more and drink more than they otherwise would. How many posts do you see that say 'I don't know if it's worth it, but with the package I don't have to worry about my bar bill at the end'.

I just did the math, with a drink package I'm looking at $809 for 2 on a 7nt cruise. I've never had a bar bill approach $800 on a cruise. I know people at work that buy the drink package, but they're admitted alcoholics...they've had bar bills in the thousands before drink packages (I'm not judging those who buy packages).

My only regret with the appearance of drink packages is the huge increase in drink prices. A beer is over $9, Royal is clearly driving people to this packages. End result for me is I'll drink less during the day and wait for the Diamond Lounge at 4:30.

I agree with the OP. I initially purchased internet time. Cancelled it. I went off the grid for 1 week and it was terrific. I also had purchased cruise excursions, and then cancelled both. Had followed passengers travelling in the weeks before me and saw the excursions were HORRIBLE. One bus driver took passengers to his friend's bar for 2 hours and then returned them to the port! The other excursions I found NCL had priced triple the cost of purchasing from local vendors, in some instances. I went ONLY to local vendors in Cuba and could NOT be happier. I am hoping I get the opportunity to go back. AND on the Sky .... liquor is free. That didn't do me any good. My TOTAL for the week: 4 champagnes @ art auction. 4 glasses white wine and 2 glasses red wine. That's it for the week.

Whatever makes one happy. We generally cruise on lines were everything is included.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whatever makes you happy. I don't cruise on lines where everything is included because I DON'T WANT everything that is included, and I certainly don't want to pay for those things if I will not use them. I don't drink much, so why pay more for a cruise that includes all alcoholic beverages and end up subsidizing those that do? I don't take ship excursions that often, so why pay more for a cruise that includes shore excursions and end up subsidizing those that do?

I prefer to pay for only what I want to enjoy, and not an exorbitant amount of money to cruise on a line where I end up paying for things I don't use.

Its just simply about doing the maths and figuring out whether you save money.

We have never really booked a package before until NCL....we have saved ove £1000 based on the free stuff (grats,drink package, previous choice of cabins and upgrade from our OV guarantee)

Drinks packages, dinning packages, internet packages, spa packages. No doubt excursion packages will be on offer soon......................

:o Have to admit I dislike having to decide which "packages" are best for us and sort of liked it better when there were no packages.

Its just simply about doing the maths and figuring out whether you save money.

We have never really booked a package before until NCL....we have saved ove £1000 based on the free stuff (grats,drink package, previous choice of cabins and upgrade from our OV guarantee)

I was on the Epic last month and it was nice not to worry about drink packages as I had the UBP as part of the deal. As a solo traveller it £999. For the same time next year in same cabin it's £1600.

I didn't really like the ship and the bathrooms are odd. So I've decided to book Symphony doing the same places for £1300 including a window but no drinks. I'll get the soda package and have a couple but I know I won't spend £300 on booze. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some packages that are amazing. In truth if I went on another NCL cruise anytime soon, the "free drink package" for the cost of tips would be well worth it to DH and I. That said, w/o the free drink package on NCL, I had a total of 3 drinks in our last 5 cruises before that. When at home DH always drives and we are big supporters of never getting behind the wheel even after 1 drink.

Bough an internet package on a Carnival Cruise. Worth every penny I spent on that. About 5 days before we left, a very dear friend of mine at the time had just had brain surgery to remove a tumor. I got to keep up with his recovery, and I probably would have been much more of a nervous wreck for 7 days w/o it. Would I buy it on a normal basis? Heck no!! Not even say a $5 a day social media package.

With all that, our on upcoming MSC Cruise I am looking at buying 2 packages. Well okay one is an upgrade to the premium alcohol package for about $17pp/pd. Not for the alcohol... both me and DH are HUGE coffee drinkers! Sure the package we have includes your basic specialty coffees, but when I say I am a huge coffee drinker, I go threw 18 cups between waking up and the end of my work day. Good coffee for me would be well worth $34 a day!

Now I would NEVER buy a photo package on a cruise like ever ever ever! I haven't bought one photo in all of our cruises. That being said our MSC cruise is our 20th anniversary and will be our first big trip w/o our adult and almost adult (youngest will be 17) children. The MSC package is currently $100 for 100 photos... Sure I probably won't even get 100 photos of us, but from what I understand it can include ship/port photos also. I find this price makes it stupid not to buy the package for it, even if we bring home only 20 photos, that is still only $5 each well below the average "ship" rate.

Are packages good for everyone in every situation? No where near, but depending on the situation they can be a good and useful thing to many people. Best part? No one forces you to buy one, but it gives the option to not have a huge bill at the end and pay things off first.

?

They already are! Can't recall which cruise line, but it was something I was looking at recently. :')

I don't know why you are bothered by the packages, if they do not offer value for you , do not purchase them. They are not for everyone and as such are priced that way so that the cruise line can make more money than if there were none. Some people will use the packages and feel they have saved money while the majority would most likely be paying more than what they would have if they didn't have one.

Just do what suits you and your wallet best.

Not sure I follow.

None of them are compulsory.

I love my soft drink (soda) package, couldn't afford to cruise without it.

I get packages to save money, period. I don't give a rat's behind about buying only for convenience or not to owing anything at the end of a cruise, it's all about the beaver bucks I can save with them! I do a break-even analysis (which takes all of two or three minutes on a bad day) and if I am going to save $ buying the package I will buy the package. If not, I don't.

Edited by DirtyDawg

I might be repeating what others have said but if you don't want a package there is nothing that makes you get one. As for others asking about whether they are worth it or not those posts are relatively easy to spot and skip over. Everybody is a broad term and I doubt that you could show that everybody thinks they need a package.