Buffets on Riviera not self service?

tipsygirl

"The pluses far outweigh any potential minuses in my book. It's a very good and easily manageable system"

plus I can serve us at home....i'm on a cruise....the serving utensils are just tooooo heavy!

Anyone who wags a finger at me, for whatever reason, is going to get a short response using words which my mother would definitely have disapproved of.

By the by, I was perplexed by the thread - I've never come across a buffet before that was not self-serve. So, I'm glad I've read it, as it means a fellow passenger is not going to be on the receiving end of one of my short responses.

And where do you actually get a plate? Are they not stacked at one end of the buffet, as in every other place I've been to?

Perhaps if you don't do something offensive or unsanitary, you'd not get a finger wave. I see someone touch food with their hands(I'm in the industry)they'll get a very verbal response for ALL to hear!

As the food quality on Celebrity/Princess has declined, we're looking at Oceania. The line "brags" of having the "best food at sea"(their slogan)Is it really that good, or more a bit of hype?

Perhaps if you don't do something offensive or unsanitary, you'd not get a finger wave. I see someone touch food with their hands(I'm in the industry)they'll get a very verbal response for ALL to hear!

Oh, I've no problem someone speaking to me to point out the error of my ways. Finger wagging by some discourteous arsewipe is another matter.

As the food quality on Celebrity/Princess has declined, we're looking at Oceania. The line "brags" of having the "best food at sea"(their slogan)Is it really that good, or more a bit of hype?

"best" is subjective

They do use good quality ingredients & people seem to return to Oceania for the food

Do a short cruise & judge for yourself

JMO

IMHO, the food in the Cunard grills is sometimes much better.

The food on Oceania is often very good but sometimes mediocre. They have certainly found a marketing niche in promoting their food and to some extent it's warranted.

Of course, the topic of food is VERY subjective.

That said, over the years we have cruised on all lines from the bottom to the top (except Crystal) and IMO Oceania's food is the BEST overall.

This year we did a B2B2B on Cunard, Seabourn and Oceania and although our Oceania cruise was "only" on Insignia - as opposed to Marina/Riviera with more food options - there simply was no comparison for us. On Seabourn the TK Grill was in the same class and on Cunard the service was great (Princess Grill) but the food was just OK.

For us, on Oceania Jacques and La Reserve stand out as best for food with Terrace as best casual dining venue.

Everyone will have their opinion on this subject. As suggested, why not try them and decide for yourself.

Of course, the topic of food is VERY subjective.

Indeed so, Paul. I play on a food board where its subjective nature is pretty much its purpose.

As for Oceania, it's one of the main reasons why we picked the cruise. Our last significant cruises were over 25 years ago, with P & O. After our third one we decided cruising wasnt for us any longer. That was partly about the formality and partly about deteriorating food quality. We have done a couple of short casual trips since then (Norwegian & Island Escape) but we wanted to do "something different" to celebrate an significant event and came back to the idea of a cruise. Oceania's food was definitely a selling point and we're interested to see just how good it is, by comparision with higher end restaurants we regularly visit. Should be fun

Someone on CC last year posted a comparison of food costs on several lines which had Oceania spending double +\- that of mass market lines like Celebrity. In addition, Marina and Riviera were built with the largest per capital food prep areas of any cruise ships. Clearly, Oceania is serious about food. Of course, that doesn't mean the end product is the "best." However, there is something to be said for high end French butter, Italian flour, USDA Prime meats, etc. and the tutelage of Jacques Pepin.

IMO (based on much of a lifetime of living/dining in NYC and the SF Bay Area), I'd say O's food in the MDR, Terrace Grill and Waves is consistently the best "institutional" (hotel, catering, etc) food I have ever experienced. Occasionally, there will be a hiccup (e.g., some ethnic dishes, albeit delicious, do fall a bit short of being "spot on" interpretations of regional dishes or authentic condiments may not be stocked). As for the specialty restaurants onboard: they'd hold their own with the vast majority of three star SF eateries.

Perhaps the best way to put it is to look at how often CC posters who frequent mass market lines say the ship is not as important as the itinerary. We've eaten mass market cruise food and experienced the accompanying lackluster service. So I can understand their point of view. However, a ship is your "home" on a cruise and O quality is such that you'll be spoiled and no longer able to discount the importance of the ship itself in choosing future cruises.

If I had to fault Oceania on anything food related, it would be in the alcoholic beverage area. While high end spirits are readily available, citrus dependent cocktails tend to include sugary mixers (though bartenders will use actual fruit if asked). Also, one really needs to know their wines to find the few decent gems on the otherwise mediocre wine lists (and even then, be prepared to spend a bundle- which is why we often opt for bringing our own [if convenient/logistically doable] and paying the corkage).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Indeed so, Paul. I play on a food board where its subjective nature is pretty much its purpose.

As for Oceania, it's one of the main reasons why we picked the cruise. Our last significant cruises were over 25 years ago, with P & O. After our third one we decided cruising wasnt for us any longer. That was partly about the formality and partly about deteriorating food quality. We have done a couple of short casual trips since then (Norwegian & Island Escape) but we wanted to do "something different" to celebrate an significant event and came back to the idea of a cruise. Oceania's food was definitely a selling point and we're interested to see just how good it is, by comparision with higher end restaurants we regularly visit. Should be fun

A lot will depend on the quality of the higher end restaurants you regularly visit.

La Reserve has seating for 24 at 3 tables; unless you book as a group you will be seated in a group. We had two very pleasant dinners with different menus earlier this year, though the wines were not particularly notable and would not compare to those served at a

Michelin rated restaurant IMO. Our table mates were delightful on both occasions. At the other tables I noted drunken singing of Happy Birthday when it was no ones birthday; I guess that's some peoples idea of wit.

Jacques was nice, but the Foie Gras preparations were not top notch.

Toscana was excellent for us: I asked for my Lobster Fra Diavolo to be spicy and not toned down, and it was perfect.

Polo was awful; the 28 ounce Prime Rib was tasteless and the accompaniments were substandard; the Rib Eye was not professionally cut and also lacked flavor. We got a call the next morning from the Head Chef who admitted there had been other complaints. In no way does this restaurant match up to the Capitol Grill or another top notch landslide steakhouse.

Red Ginger was fabulous; going back more than 10 years Oceania has been very good with Asian dishes. We went 3 times in 10 days and would have gone again if possible.

The MDR was ordinary; the Buffet had some very good points but some dishes (like morning bacon) were prepared the night before and could not be ordered less well done unless you order it the night before. Desserts were humdrum IMO. Cheeses, sushi nice but limited. This may be the best buffet at sea but not comparable to a top notch land buffet. Lobster however was very flavorful at the Buffet and the specialty restaurants.

Despite all comments above I rated my last cruise on Riviera 5*. I cruise for itinerary and,depending on the line, for food. We have another cruise on Riviera coming up in December. The food was much better on Oceania than on Sea Dream which is supposed to excell according to Berlitz guide 🙄. All in all I expect you will enjoy.

A lot will depend on the quality of the higher end restaurants you regularly visit.

Of course. We have about 25 places to which we return on a fairly frequent basis - three are Michelin starred and another two are knocking on Michelin's door. I wouldnt be expecting Marina's food to be that good - simply because of the "large scale" nature of the business.

Your general comments are helpful - I'm not an American but have eaten at the Capitol Grill on a trip to the US, so can relate directly to that. Returning to the particualr topic, I am looking forward to the buffet - it's not something that we do well in Europe (apart from hotel breakfast buffets, it's pretty much always a down market affair, catering to low price not quality)

sandbag7,

I agree with your assessment of Polo. These days it seems to be hit or miss - it used to be consistently good years ago. I usually stay away from steaks in Polo these days, which is a shame in a steak house. I do love their shrimp cocktail and crab cakes with lobster for entrée.

Not sure where the difference lies. It would be easy to blame NCL for cost cutting but I am not sure if that would be true.

sandbag7,

I agree with your assessment of Polo. These days it seems to be hit or miss - it used to be consistently good years ago. I usually stay away from steaks in Polo these days, which is a shame in a steak house.

I think sometimes it is who is doing the cooking

We have had good dishes on one cruise then the next (B2B) not so good

Love those Crab cakes though :D

It is very subjective but I am on Insignia now (Montreal to Miami) and have had three great nights at Polo. The only steak meal I have had was an excellent Filet Mignon but the pork chop on another night and the lamb rack on the third were also excellent.

From observation, the only complaints I have seen are from those who order the larger cuts of meat. They seem to be hit or miss, which doesn't surprise.

From observation, the only complaints I have seen are from those who order the larger cuts of meat. They seem to be hit or miss, which doesn't surprise.

The Ribeye my wife ordered at Polo was not of any great size; it was strangely cut on the diagonal; it was tough and without marbling and lacked natural steak flavor; I will go to Polo only if I Lobster is on the menu AND the other specialty restaurants are booked.

We are having grilled rack of lamb with a Moroccan marinade at home tonight :p; I don't look for it on the menu at sea. A thick juicy pork chop can beguile if perfectly done, but I just don't have the confidence Polo is up to it.

A thick juicy pork chop can beguile if perfectly done, but I just don't have the confidence Polo is up to it.

Yeah, but. An Iberico pork chop would be a thing of rarity even in Spain. I am going to let Polo give it their best shot - and keep my fingers crossed that folks' recent experiences won't be mine.

Yeah, but. An Iberico pork chop would be a thing of rarity even in Spain. I am going to let Polo give it their best shot - and keep my fingers crossed that folks' recent experiences won't be mine.

Please leave the Iberico pork for Jacques - much, much better prepared than in Polo. Choose something else in Polo.

JME

The Ribeye my wife ordered at Polo was not of any great size; it was strangely cut on the diagonal; it was tough and without marbling and lacked natural steak flavor; I will go to Polo only if I Lobster is on the menu AND the other specialty restaurants are booked.

We are having grilled rack of lamb with a Moroccan marinade at home tonight :p; I don't look for it on the menu at sea. A thick juicy pork chop can beguile if perfectly done, but I just don't have the confidence Polo is up to it.

Our experience with the lobster in Polo was that it was, if anything, worse relatively speaking than the steaks. Dry, tough, nothing like the well-prepared cold water lobster we're used to eating in the Northeast US and Atlantic Canada. To us the best lobster on board was the grilled lobster tails served at dinner in the Terrace Cafe. Every time we ate there we made sure to get a couple of those each.

Our experience with the lobster in Polo was that it was, if anything, worse relatively speaking than the steaks. Dry, tough, nothing like the well-prepared cold water lobster we're used to eating in the Northeast US and Atlantic Canada. To us the best lobster on board was the grilled lobster tails served at dinner in the Terrace Cafe. Every time we ate there we made sure to get a couple of those each.

Different strokes

I think the lobster in polo is fabulous. Juicy MAine lobster. The best

The tails in the terrace imo are often dry and lack flavor

Everyone needs to try both and decide

Different strokes

I think the lobster in polo is fabulous. Juicy MAine lobster. The best

The tails in the terrace imo are often dry and lack flavor

Everyone needs to try both and decide

Obviously I did try both.

While I would normally agree that "Maine" lobster (really any cold water lobster) should be better, the lobsters in Polo were so poorly prepared that they were rendered virtually inedible. In three dinners in Polo we didn't have a single meal that was worthy of what should come out of the galley of a cruise line that touts a trademarked advertising slogan of "The Finest Cuisine at Sea".

This topic is very interesting. On our last Celebrity cruise, Luminae was at the TOP! By far the best on sea restaurant that we have experienced, close to a couple of Michelin stars.

In the main dinning room on Celebrity, my husband order a rib eye steak and it was not medium rare and cut poorly. He sent it back three(3) times before the kitchen got it right. He told the maitre'd that he would keep sending it back until they got it RIGHT! After that evening, any red meat that we ordered was cut/done perfectly! Remember folks, this is a restaurant on a ship, no different than a restaurant back home. We won't accept meat like that at home, so you get what you pay for!