Buffets on Riviera not self service?

tipsygirl

Can you get sushi from room service? I enjoy having sushi with a cocktail in my cabin in the late afternoon in my cabin while getting ready for dinner. On past O cruises I went to the Terrace Cafe, put some on a plate , and carried it back to the cabin.

since the Terrace closes around 2pm & does not open until 6:30 pm how fresh would your sushi be by late afternoon ?

Can you get sushi from room service? I enjoy having sushi with a cocktail in my cabin in the late afternoon in my cabin while getting ready for dinner. On past O cruises I went to the Terrace Cafe, put some on a plate , and carried it back to the cabin.

We too enjoy a little pre dinner sushi and cocktails and have done it both ways. Don't know about the other rooms but in PH the butler was happy to bring some sushi (from Terrace I assume) shortly after the Terrace opened. Sometimes though, it just seemed easier to get a small plate ourselves and bring to our room.

We too enjoy a little pre dinner sushi and cocktails and have done it both ways. Don't know about the other rooms but in PH the butler was happy to bring some sushi (from Terrace I assume) shortly after the Terrace opened. Sometimes though, it just seemed easier to get a small plate ourselves and bring to our room.

That is what I will do, we don't have a cabin that comes with a butler. Besides, sushi is best when made to order in front of you. I did discover that the bar that serves drinks for Terraces does have sake to go with the sushi. You have to ask for it. I only got it once due to the very high cost of a very small glass. or I might be confusing O with Azamara as they have sushi at their buffet too.

Edited by susiesan

We spent 6 months on Insignia last year and ate most of our meals in Terrace. We got to know the young men and women there very well. Many, if not most, have their Bachelors degrees and all are multi-lingual.

After seeing how some of the cruisers treat the staff, and that passengers literally poked at the food they could get their hands on, I'm thrilled that the buffet is not self-serve.

One woman touched every roll in the basket, I cocked my head at one of the staff, and he immediately helped her with one of the rolls and removed the entire basket afterwards.

And yes, there are people who wanted 6 tomatoes on their salad, no more, no less. Perhaps they could have carefully pushed the few extra aside?

I am a true fan of Terrace but most especially the people that work there....they are amazing and each one of them had a personal story...imagine that.....

We spent 6 months on Insignia last year and ate most of our meals in Terrace. We got to know the young men and women there very well. Many, if not most, have their Bachelors degrees and all are multi-lingual.

After seeing how some of the cruisers treat the staff, and that passengers literally poked at the food they could get their hands on, I'm thrilled that the buffet is not self-serve.

One woman touched every roll in the basket, I cocked my head at one of the staff, and he immediately helped her with one of the rolls and removed the entire basket afterwards.

And yes, there are people who wanted 6 tomatoes on their salad, no more, no less. Perhaps they could have carefully pushed the few extra aside?

I am a true fan of Terrace but most especially the people that work there....they are amazing and each one of them had a personal story...imagine that.....

You're a nice person who obviously gets the saying "don't sweat the small stuff." I am the same. I hope you are on my next sailing! :)

You're a nice person who obviously gets the saying "don't sweat the small stuff." I am the same. I hope you are on my next sailing! :)

A nice person from NYC? Impossible ! (just kidding - I spent many years in NYC :D :D)

A nice person from NYC? Impossible ! (just kidding - I spent many years in NYC :D :D)

Haha! I mean I don't sweat the small stuff. I'm not a native New Yorker, been here 10 years. And I will not be retiring here either! Still figuring out where I'll end up....it's fun to think about. ;)

I'll be trying my first O cruise 1/18 on Riviera. How does one have wine with meals in the Terrace?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One sip at a time.

Can one where dress shorts in the evening in Terrace?

Yes, much to the chagrin of some people.

I'll be trying my first O cruise 1/18 on Riviera. How does one have wine with meals in the Terrace?

You just tell the waiter when they come for your drink order that you want wine with your meal just like any restaurant

There is also a sommelier, sometimes 2, who wander around Terrace asking if you'd like a drink. Or as suggested, you can tell your waiter and he/she will send the sommelier to you.

• 2 weeks later...
There is also a sommelier, sometimes 2, who wander around Terrace asking if you'd like a drink. Or as suggested, you can tell your waiter and he/she will send the sommelier to you.

In all honesty, referring to the wine stewards as sommeliers is considerably overgenerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In all honesty, referring to the wine stewards as sommeliers is considerably overgenerous.

I was under the impression that a sommelier was trained and certified as such. Isn't it being a bit presumptuous if you don't know whether they're a certified sommelier or not?

"referring to the wine stewards as sommeliers is considerably overgenerous."- just referring to what our waiters called them.

If that's what they were called by colleagues, then it's presumably their official job title.

As such, that's fine with me regardless of the training they may have had - http://www.courtofmastersommeliers.org/

I was under the impression that a sommelier was trained and certified as such. Isn't it being a bit presumptuous if you don't know whether they're a certified sommelier or not?

Actually, the last time I was on Riviera (several months ago), I asked the beverage/bar manager about this and was told that only one of the wait staff had a bona fide relationship to the sommelier certification process and it was only to the extent that he was pursuing that certification.

Though perhaps not the best analogy, think of those visits to the doctor where office staff (even the occasional doctor) will refer to a "medical assistant" (certified/licensed or not) as a "nurse," which may leave a patient with the erroneous assumption that s/he is dealing with an actual RN.

Folks who train and successfully test for the award of the title Sommelier really should be able to enjoy that distinction and be recognized for it.

I think it's safe to assume that the situation on Riviera was not an anomaly. No doubt, the vast majority of personnel serving wine on Oceania ships are "stewards" with some degree of either "in house" instruction and/or previous wine steward experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, the last time I was on Riviera (several months ago), I asked the beverage/bar manager about this and was told that only one of the wait staff had a bona fide relationship to the sommelier certification process and it was only to the extent that he was pursuing that certification.

Folks who train and successfully test for the award of the title Sommelier really should be able to enjoy that distinction and be recognized for it.

I think it's safe to assume that the situation on Riviera was not an anomaly. No doubt, the vast majority of personnel serving wine on Oceania ships are "stewards" with some degree of either "in house" instruction and/or previous wine steward experience.

That's interesting. Thankx for your explanation. I believe I'll ask the same question on my next few sailings to see what response I get. More out of interest since I'm really a brown liquor drinker with an occasional glass of wine at dinner. :D

We've cruised on Oceania several times - when the Terrace Cafe was self-service and when it was not. We dine often in the Terrace Cafe, because we enjoy dining outdoors, don't care for the GDR much (dinners there tend to take a looonnng time), and because we often don't want to 'dress up' after a long day of touring.

Wine can be ordered there, and if you have an open bottle from other ship restaurants they will serve it in the Terrace Cafe. Shorts can be worn there.

While I understand going to full service (there were a number of noro outbreaks a few years back), the full service makes things like salads difficult (it was impossible to get salad dressing on the side, for instance) and often results in larger servings than I'd choose. If the servers are experienced and English-speaking, it generally works okay. If they are not, it is an annoyance.

i always ask for one of the small bowls to be used for salad dressing on the side and the staff are always very obliging.

I also say "little little salad" and usually that is enough, but sometimes i ask for one more tong of salad. I've also never dined at Terrace and not had a person who doesn't speak English serve me.

After seeing the things I've seen with passengers helping themselves at the buffet I'm THRILLED that the staff now serves me!

i always ask for one of the small bowls to be used for salad dressing on the side and the staff are always very obliging.

I also say "little little salad" and usually that is enough, but sometimes i ask for one more tong of salad. I've also never dined at Terrace and not had a person who doesn't speak English serve me.

After seeing the things I've seen with passengers helping themselves at the buffet I'm THRILLED that the staff now serves me!

I agree.

The pluses far outweigh any potential minuses in my book. It's a very good and easily manageable system.