Buffets on Riviera not self service?

tipsygirl

Yes you can. Whether the server takes your plate (to add stuff) or serves directly to it depends on what is being served.

O's Terrace Grill is a class operation - not a cafeteria. No trays. And, for anyone whose prior cruise experience is on lines that are self-serve: You are in for a far different (and far better) experience.

As for servers carrying your plates, don't say no just yet. In really rough seas, you'll see a lot of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been there, done that and this seems to be the best way to go about a buffet.

I like the system in the Terrace. I definitely prefer people not slopping their own food around, and the servers do a wonderful job. I have never had any problems with any of the wait staff , with communications. I found the jab at some speaking English as a second language as a bit off taking, and in poor taste. All of the staff have been able to communicate quite well on my cruises with O!

Since one can occasionally become blocked in or out of their table, do to the arrival of motorized scooters and walkers, I have often been pleased to have my plate carried to the table for me, while I try to just maneuver back to my table. Possibly avoided a horrible accident, especially in bad seas.

I don't have a solution, but those cruisers that insist upon driving their scooters around the buffet line do cause a problem quite often. Walkers are only slightly better.

My only problem with this process was getting exactly what I wanted in a green salad was tedious and time-consuming.

That's my thought too. Sounds like it could take twice as long to get the food, especially the amount and/or proportion of ingredients a person wants.

I saw that picture of the drink station - is that self serve or do the employees have to get your drinks too?

That's my thought too. Sounds like it could take twice as long to get the food, especially the amount and/or proportion of ingredients a person wants.

I saw that picture of the drink station - is that self serve or do the employees have to get your drinks too?

Employees of "O" always bring your drinks to the table.

I only have one O cruise under my belt so far, on the Marina, however I have three more booked. I found the buffet to be the most civilized I have encountered. I initially resisted the server helping with my plates, however I learned to go with the flow then found it a convenient service.

I preferred the food being served which prevented people from sticking their fingers into the foods or cross contaminating utensils between other foods. On my last Celebrity cruise I witnessed one person grab a full loaf of bread and cut off what they wanted then put the rest back because the server went to get something and they didn't want the pre-cut slices already there. They just couldn't wait one minute for a custom cut.

Multiple plates don't bother me because I tend to make multiple buffet trips in courses instead of piling everything high on one plate.

My way is not everyone's preferred method but I find I enjoy the experience more.

I like the system in the Terrace. I definitely prefer people not slopping their own food around, and the servers do a wonderful job. I have never had any problems with any of the wait staff , with communications. I found the jab at some speaking English as a second language as a bit off taking, and in poor taste. All of the staff have been able to communicate quite well on my cruises with O!

Since one can occasionally become blocked in or out of their table, do to the arrival of motorized scooters and walkers, I have often been pleased to have my plate carried to the table for me, while I try to just maneuver back to my table. Possibly avoided a horrible accident, especially in bad seas.

I don't have a solution, but those cruisers that insist upon driving their scooters around the buffet line do cause a problem quite often. Walkers are only slightly better.

May you never need a scooter or a walker or have impaired mobility. But if you do I hope you find fellow travelers more empathetic than you seem to be.

Very sad post

I just returned from a cruise on the Riviera Barcelona to Rome. Your friend is correct there is no self service. It's actually quite wonderful. Staff are more than willing to answer any question about the ingredients

Yes it might take longer when you want the server to count the number of olives/tomatoes they put on your salad or only pick out certain pieces of lettuce ...no worse than standing in line behind a passenger doing the picking over of the salad bowl to get just the right piece of lettuce :rolleyes:

The servers will get your beverages for you or you can get your own at the self serve counter

Multiple plates don't bother me because I tend to make multiple buffet trips in courses instead of piling everything high on one plate.

My way is not everyone's preferred method but I find I enjoy the experience more.

I agree

I will get my salad & when done go back for other hot/cold items

I like to see what I am eating so my plate often times looks empty compared to other people's

I have seen people pile the plate & then pick up desert on the way to the table

On Oceania you can go back as many times as you like you are not in one of those buffet places where you can only go one time through the line

I agree that the way the Terrace cafe is run is designed to minimize contamination and therefore possible transmission of illness. Never had a problem in communication with the staff ... they do a good job of dealing with the differences in our accents and those passengers whose first language is not English.

Yes you can. Whether the server takes your plate (to add stuff) or serves directly to it depends on what is being served.

O's Terrace Grill is a class operation - not a cafeteria. No trays. And, for anyone whose prior cruise experience is on lines that are self-serve: You are in for a far different (and far better) experience.

As for servers carrying your plates, don't say no just yet. In really rough seas, you'll see a lot of that.

Haven't been on this line, but it definitely would be a big plus in my book. I avoid the buffet like the plague, this would be a nice experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it might take longer when you want the server to count the number of olives/tomatoes they put on your salad or only pick out certain pieces of lettuce ...no worse than standing in line behind a passenger doing the picking over of the salad bowl to get just the right piece of lettuce :rolleyes:

+1

Overall the buffet works very well as is - better than just about any other line I've been on.

Also, they often stay open beyond the regular hours if some tours are arriving shortly after the "closing" time. That was not the case on our last Seabourn (luxury) cruise, despite a large number of cruise line sponsored excursions arriving a bit after closing hours.

Yes - the poolside buffet was open but absolutely NO seats were available due to the large crowd - had to order from the limited room service menu and wait 45 minutes - not exactly a luxury experience. :(

Haven't been on this line, but it definitely would be a big plus in my book. I avoid the buffet like the plague, this would be a nice experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Referring to the Terrace Grill as a "buffet" is somewhat of a disservice. There are dishes cooked (standards like lobster tails and steaks as well as daily specials) "a la minute" as well as one or more dinner items that are also being served in the MDR. Basically, it is less "formal" dining (with the understanding that there is no such thing as "formal" on an Oceania ship) with an "al fresco" option and something for every taste preference.

And, IMO (beyond the excellent food), one of the best things about this particular casual dining option is the absence of hordes of folks touching food and utensils with their often unwashed fingers.

+1

Yes - the poolside buffet was open but absolutely NO seats were available due to the large crowd - had to order from the limited room service menu and wait 45 minutes - not exactly a luxury experience. :(

If you tell the staff where you will be sitting they will bring you your order when it is ready. This includes sitting in the Terrace Cafe or the "al fresco" area at the stern even though it is closed.

And, IMO (beyond the excellent food), one of the best things about this particular casual dining option is the absence of hordes of folks touching food and utensils with their often unwashed fingers.

I cannot count the number of times I have been in a restroom on board an O (or other) ship and see a person leave without washing their hands.

I cannot count the number of times I have been in a restroom on board an O (or other) ship and see a person leave without washing their hands.

It is as unbelievable as it is unfortunately true - never mind washing them properly.

If you tell the staff where you will be sitting they will bring you your order when it is ready. This includes sitting in the Terrace Cafe or the "al fresco" area at the stern even though it is closed.

I was describing my experience on the Seabourn Encore.

No such problems on Oceania :)

+1

Overall the buffet works very well as is - better than just about any other line I've been on.

Also, they often stay open beyond the regular hours if some tours are arriving shortly after the "closing" time. That was not the case on our last Seabourn (luxury) cruise, despite a large number of cruise line sponsored excursions arriving a bit after closing hours.

I know this isn't the Windstar forum, but I too was impressed and pleased when Windstar (this was the Windsurf to be exact) extended the buffet hours to accommodate late-arriving excursions. Also, just prior to closing the buffet, a Windstar employee would always go around to every single table asking if there's something else we'd like to get before the buffet closed. Admittedly, it's a much smaller ship, but I thought that was a really nice touch.

Also, just prior to closing the buffet, a Windstar employee would always go around to every single table asking if there's something else we'd like to get before the buffet closed. Admittedly, it's a much smaller ship, but I thought that was a really nice touch.

Agreed. I have experienced the same on O.

Can you get a plate to go or a beverage? Sometimes I want a bite in the cabin without waiting for room service.

people do

but they prefer people not carry open plates of food around the ship

room service does not usually take too long unless it is prime time like breakfast

it is not like the main stream lines

Passengers carrying food around an Oceania ship would be quite unusual. Room service is very speedy.

Can you get sushi from room service? I enjoy having sushi with a cocktail in my cabin in the late afternoon in my cabin while getting ready for dinner. On past O cruises I went to the Terrace Cafe, put some on a plate , and carried it back to the cabin.

May you never need a scooter or a walker or have impaired mobility. But if you do I hope you find fellow travelers more empathetic than you seem to be.

Very sad post

It did not sound like a sad or rude post to me. The OP was just stating the truth and did not say it in a condescending or non-empathetic way. I totally agree with the post and I have travelled with a friend that uses a scooter.