Feeling so Liberated !!

Spideysmum

Last September we took our first cruise to Alaska. I hated it...Alaska is ok but I really didn't enjoy the ....cruise. I realized that, while port days were good, the sea days drove me up a wall. Yes..we did have the AIBP..lol. People said take a cruise with a lot of ports..you'll love it. So..we did

Don't get me wrong..loved the British Isles. Met lots of nice people and, in general, had a great time. So much that I gave in and bought future cruise credits.

Therefore, this morning we sat down to book a Mediterranean cruise with the awaited Sip & Sail. [emoji485][emoji76]. Just before we hit the "purchase cruise" button my husband asked if I really wanted to do this instead of just DIYing Italy next year. And you know what? I don't. We just love Europe and travel on trains and small little inns and hotels and local cuisine. If I looked at cruising as something other than just transportation to locales, I might have thought otherwise. As it is, now I probably will never get to places like Gibralter, but that's life.

So...we tried cruising and it's just not our thing. Went right to the computer and booked our trains to Berlin and Prague for our upcoming Eastern Europe trip in September happily.

I've enjoyed Cruise Critic and our Roll Calls immensely and sincerely wish everyone happy cruising. It's just not for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least your tried it. There are a lot of people out there that say they would hate it and have never ever tried a cruise. There is a lot to be said for land vacations and is sounds like you are adventurous enough to really explore an area. Good luck to you and happy travels.

Last September we took our first cruise to Alaska. I hated it...Alaska is ok but I really didn't enjoy the ....cruise. I realized that, while port days were good, the sea days drove me up a wall. Yes..we did have the AIBP..lol. People said take a cruise with a lot of ports..you'll love it. So..we did

Don't get me wrong..loved the British Isles. Met lots of nice people and, in general, had a great time. So much that I gave in and bought future cruise credits.

Therefore, this morning we sat down to book a Mediterranean cruise with the awaited Sip & Sail. [emoji485][emoji76]. Just before we hit the "purchase cruise" button my husband asked if I really wanted to do this instead of just DIYing Italy next year. And you know what? I don't. We just love Europe and travel on trains and small little inns and hotels and local cuisine. If I looked at cruising as something other than just transportation to locales, I might have thought otherwise. As it is, now I probably will never get to places like Gibralter, but that's life.

So...we tried cruising and it's just not our thing. Went right to the computer and booked our trains to Berlin and Prague for our upcoming Eastern Europe trip in September happily.

I've enjoyed Cruise Critic and our Roll Calls immensely and sincerely wish everyone happy cruising. It's just not for us.

I agree, you do so many cruises, then it gets boring. Land tour allows for more time to see things then on a 4 to 8 hour tour. Have the Med cruise booked this year, have extra credits, but you know what we may just go land locked and do our own thing, Cheers!

Guest arowe6

Different strokes for different folks. A vacation YOU take should make YOU happy. If cruising isn't it, find something else. Life is too short to be stuck doing something you don't enjoy :D

Different strokes for different folks. A vacation YOU take should make YOU happy. If cruising isn't it, find something else. Life is too short to be stuck doing something you don't enjoy :D

Ditto!! Maybe your next vacation will be your best one ever!! Good Luck!!

Tony

Thanks guys. I've enjoyed CC a lot and learned so much. Heading for The Czech Republic and Hungary on a Rick Steves tour in September where NO relaxing is allowed. I guess my kind of vakay. [emoji849]

Cruises are a great way to get an introduction to an area. Frankly, 95% of the ports we have visited were okay, but one-and-done. Then you zero in on the 5% that were great [higher percentage in Italy, I agree] and go back for a DIY. But when you want to venture beyond Italy [or wherever you have already been], a cruise might be a good idea again. Especially if you avoid the megaships that because of their large size can only visit the mass-market ports. A river cruise can take you from Amsterdam to Budapest [or Basel], and a country-intensive ocean cruise can take you to every port in Costa Rica or Iceland or Sicily -- without having to live out of a suitcase. Horses for courses...

I'm sure you'll have a great vacation in September. Never say never about cruising, as you may give give it another chance sometime in the future.....:):):)

Bob

Cruises are a great way to get an introduction to an area. Frankly, 95% of the ports we have visited were okay, but one-and-done. Then you zero in on the 5% that were great [higher percentage in Italy, I agree] and go back for a DIY. But when you want to venture beyond Italy [or wherever you have already been], a cruise might be a good idea again. Especially if you avoid the megaships that because of their large size can only visit the mass-market ports. A river cruise can take you from Amsterdam to Budapest [or Basel], and a country-intensive ocean cruise can take you to every port in Costa Rica or Iceland or Sicily -- without having to live out of a suitcase. Horses for courses...

Well said Jazz.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks guys. I've enjoyed CC a lot and learned so much. Heading for The Czech Republic and Hungary on a Rick Steves tour in September where NO relaxing is allowed. I guess my kind of vakay. [emoji849]

We took a Rick Steves tour to Ireland in May. There may be more down time than you think, but not enough to get bored.

While we enjoy cruising, we do like to take at least half our vacations as land trips. It gives you a better chance to explore at your own pace. Have fun.

Jim

I prefer plane/land holidays when it comes to exploring, Like I'd never cruise around Japan as opposed to hotels, nightlife and the shinkansen. However we also love cruises though it's always based on destination. I hardly think I would have seen as much of PNG had we have flown, and of course the ocean and it's jaw dropping beauty. I'm hearing you OP as we'd do Europe the same way, however cruises still have a place for us and I can't wait until December.

We love to cruise to the point where we became totally blinkered. We were looking at London as a pre or post cruise stopover and getting increasingly frustrated at the lack of time. Then my far more intelligent spouse got a brainstorm. Let's not cruise, let's just do a land tour. D'oh!!!! So, this fall we're doing two full weeks in England. :D:D:D

I am so with you OP. There is so much to see and do in this world that one cannot do from a cruise ship!

Just talked to someone that was so very proud of the fact they just did 28 days in the Med. Kotor and Mykonos 4 times - as well as multiple stops in other ports. How many times can a person go to Kotor. It is pretty but not 4 times 4 weeks. Not for me.

We are just finishing 6 days in Athens and stil have not seen all we want to see.

While a cruise is good if one wants to put your feet up and kick back, a DIY land vacation provides the time to do and see what we want on our time schedule.

I am so with you OP. There is so much to see and do in this world that one cannot do from a cruise ship!

Just talked to someone that was so very proud of the fact they just did 28 days in the Med. Kotor and Mykonos 4 times - as well as multiple stops in other ports. How many times can a person go to Kotor. It is pretty but not 4 times 4 weeks. Not for me.

We are just finishing 6 days in Athens and stil have not seen all we want to see.

While a cruise is good if one wants to put your feet up and kick back, a DIY land vacation provides the time to do and see what we want on our time schedule.

One of the ironies of our British Isles cruise was the main reason we booked it was to see Kirkwall and the Orkneys as we knew we'd never get there on our own. It was the missed port on that particular cruise Sigh. When I was in an elevator later that morning some woman was gushing about how wonderful to have another sea day.

As someone said. Different strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We often use cruises as transportation. Last year we spent a few weeks in Spain then TA back to Florida. The year before was Italy then TA back. Often we can get the cruise on short notice for about the price of flights. Works out well for us. :)

We have 5 land tours 2 British Isles in Depth, 1 Europe 9 countries, 1Hawaii, 1 Italy &Greece. This Oct we are on a 28 Day Princess Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti return LA. Next year a Secnic River Cruise Budapest - Amsterdam.

Trying it all

OP. I fully understand where your coming from. We spent a week on crete in May and what I loved the most is no schedule to be back on a ship and the nights out experiencing Greek Culture at dinner. You miss that on a ship. It's the generic dining room and you could be anywhere in the world. There is no replacement for experiencing the evenings in port.