Such a long flight to get to a Danube cruise! Any suggestions on how to break this up

Research like crazy

IME every European River has some town and cities that are a relatively easy walk, and some attractions that are a bus ride away. IMO the Danube has as many bus rides as any. Very few river cruisers get to Castle Hill or the Millennium Monument in Budapest, or to the center of Vienna or to Melk Abbey without transportation. Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov are hour long bus rides. Nuremberg can be up to an hour bus ride depending on docking location. The trip to Heidelberg or Baden are hour long rides from the Rhine, but Strasbourg is maybe a 15 minute ride and Koblenz, Cologne, Mainz and Speyer etc are 10 minute walks (it is less than half a mile from where I have docked in Speyer through the Dom Park to the Cathedral and the center of town). Adding the Moselle to the Rhine (this is perhaps my favorite European river cruise) picks up some lovely small towns and some scenic cruising, but Trier and Luxembourg require a medium and a long bus ride.To me all part of the adventure, but may be too much bus for some.

I am supposed to make a decision tomorrow between 3 Danube cruises with Ama Waterways. I came home from the AAA office and started looking at possible airfares to see if that would impact my decision on the cruise and now reality is setting in and I'm wondering if it would be just too much/risky to have my 81 yr old mom on an 11 hour flight.

This idea of a river cruise all started after my mom was told she probably had a cancerous spot on her spine in addition to her managed leukemia. I told her we needed to check some things off her bucket list, but my husband cast some doubt on her ability to handle a land vacation with lots of walking. I read an article in the LA times about a Danube river cruise and had my mom who is adamant about avoiding ocean cruises read it and much to my surprise she thought it sounded like fun. (She later told me that the spot is not as suspicious for cancer.)

Ok, now I have nervously told my story and need to make some decisions tomorrow on this expensive venture I suggested to my mom. This will be the first time for my daughter and I to be out of the U.S. and I admit I am nervous, especially when I see one flight stopping in Moscow and wondering what else will be going on in the world. There are so many places I would like to see and I am wondering if there is a stop along the way to either Budapest or Prague that others have made and suggest to make that long flight more manageable?

Thanks in advance.

I think this is just the sweetest idea! Both the Danube and Rhine are great river cruises as are river cruises from Paris. Here are the things I would think about - I have a 92 year old father who I am sole caregiver for -

1. In terms of the flight, can you get your mom in first class so she can lay flat and sleep? Then, 11 hours is not so bad. I would be sure she does not have any respiratory issues - check with her doctor first to make sure this length of flight would be safe for her. One of the articles I linked below has some great suggestions for making the flight more manageable as well.

2. I agree with everyone's suggestion that you arrange airport assistance for your mom.

3. A lot of the river cruises are themed. Is there anything your mom is especially interested in? Look on the different river cruise websites and consider the various themes and find one that would appeal to your mom to make this an extra special experience. Some of the typical themes are food, wine, beer, music and Jazz, art, history, Jewish heritage, golf, gardening, famous authors and more.

4. Some river cruise ships have elevators but they might not go down to the bottom floor of cabins. If stairs are an issue for your mom, be sure to choose a ship and a cabin with elevators she will be able to use. You can see on the river cruise line's various websites where the elevators are and which floors they go to.

5. The biggest differences in river cruises seems to be food and tours. The luxury lines offer a more deluxe all-inclusive experience and the food specifically fits the area in which the ship is cruising and is quite upscale, with a few plain choices (chicken, steak, salmon) for those who don't want to try regional cuisine. Deluxe lines include special events such as eating in Michelin starred restaurants, going to concerts or the ballet and various other special touches. The more moderate lines offer a very, very nice experience but not some of the more deluxe options as are not as all-inclusive as luxury lines.

Here are some other important considerations from those who have taken their elderly parents on river cruises:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/smoothing-the-way-on-a-trip-with-an-elderly-parent/2013/07/25/6a57c9c2-f0b9-11e2-9008-61e94a7ea20d_story.html?utm_term=.325a84b164ba

http://europeupclose.com/article/perfect-river-cruise-for-seniors/

http://travelwithagingparents.com/reader-question-tips-enjoying-a-river-cruise-with-an-aging-parent/

On our Rhine cruise on Uniworld's SS Antoinette, one of the cruisers was 94 year old Phillip, who had come on his own from London to cruise the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel. He didn't do a lot of the tours, but instead enjoyed his time onboard socializing at meals and taking afternoon tea. We were privileged to eat dinner with Phillip one night, he of the gorgeous bespoke 3 piece suits and custom Italian shoes. He told us the fascinating story of his life. He was in the fashion industry and one of my BFF's is a famous high end handbag designer, so it was just really cool to talk to someone else in this industry and hear his point of view on the business. I learned so much from him. What an amazing person he was. I could have talked to him for days on end and never gotten bored. Such an incredible and nice man! So, yes, at "only" 81 your mother can certainly do a river cruise. Look through all the different lines listed above here and choose something that will absolutely delight her! You will meet the most interesting people on the river ship and have a wonderful adventure together!

DW and I are 82/83. Our preference is to take one longer flight instead of breaking it up into two shorter segments. It is much less stressful (for us) than to sit in a plane than having to get off, checking in again for the next leg, waiting in the departure lounge or at the gate. Never mind staying overnight at a hotel with all the attendant hassle. After seven hours on the plane, what's another four hours? Piece a cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure you will research it but I believe with the exception of the castle section of the Rhine and the Scenic sections of the Moselle, most of the cruising is done by night. Upon docking the ship may also be rafted between other ships so there may not be a view in port some days. So hopefully your mother will be able to venture out most of the days.

Business class seats to Europe will get you flat beds and access to airport lounges.

A Rhine cruise has the advantage of direct flights to Amsterdam and back from Zuerich respectively vice versa, but not from LA.

If the weather is nice, it is best to head out from the ship and spend time in an outdoor café downtown instead of staying on the ship in an industrial area if the ship docks there instead of downtown.

How about an American river cruise?

Not all business class is equal, that is for sure. I'm shocked though that Delta would have an international flight without lie flats, however! But, yes, you have to check. For example, Icelandic Air has standard business seats. However, do not discount some of the cheaper fares on LOT (the polish airline) or Turkish Airlines. While they aren't as great as perhaps Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian business classes, they do have lie flat seats. Also, you can take advantage of shopping in an airport (Warsaw or Istanbul) that you may not normally go through. (I love airport shopping!)

My 94 year old grandmother, my mom and stepdad are all coming to visit me this summer, and we booked two business class seats and one economy plus. That way, grandma has a business class seat, and a companion. I've warned my mom that they may not let them switch mid flight from the business and economy plus seats

I also agree that one long flight is much easier than multiple stops, unless you plan to stay somewhere for a few days. When you fly back to the US, you should avoid a stop over in the US before your final destination, if at all possible. Unlike pretty much everywhere else in the world, you have to collect your luggage after customs in the first US airport, and then recheck it in to your final destination.

When my mom was alive, she traveled with me to Europe regularly. Her last river cruise was at the age of 83 and she always said it was her favorite way to travel. We also took her to Italy for two weeks at the age of 84. That was a land trip, DIY, and was not as easy on her as a river cruise but she loved every minute of it.

AMA was her favorite and she felt well taken care on their ships. She participated in AMA's gentle walker excursions and also enjoyed time in the main lounge, chatting with other guests or reading.

She loved Europe and we would fly over in Premium Economy or very occasionally in business class. We would always arrive a few days early to settle in and adjust.

If your mom is up to it, I would definitely go for it.

Not all business class is equal, that is for sure. I'm shocked though that Delta would have an international flight without lie flats, however! But, yes, you have to check. For example, Icelandic Air has standard business seats. However, do not discount some of the cheaper fares on LOT (the polish airline) or Turkish Airlines. While they aren't as great as perhaps Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian business classes, they do have lie flat seats. Also, you can take advantage of shopping in an airport (Warsaw or Istanbul) that you may not normally go through. (I love airport shopping!)

I loved flying Turkish Air business class. I used them from Toronto - Istanbul, Istanbul - Cape Town. The business class lounge at Istanbul airport is FABULOUS. In addition to almost any food or drink that you might like, there are a library, a room with big recliners showing classical music videos on a large screen, a wall of screens showing news from around the world (you pick up a pair of headphones and tune in to the one you want) and, if your layover is long enough, the availability of a shower and/or a place to take a nap. I have been to a number of lounges around the world, and this was definitely the best.

I loved flying Turkish Air business class. I used them from Toronto - Istanbul, Istanbul - Cape Town. The business class lounge at Istanbul airport is FABULOUS. In addition to almost any food or drink that you might like, there are a library, a room with big recliners showing classical music videos on a large screen, a wall of screens showing news from around the world (you pick up a pair of headphones and tune in to the one you want) and, if your layover is long enough, the availability of a shower and/or a place to take a nap. I have been to a number of lounges around the world, and this was definitely the best.

Love Turkish Air, too! That lounge in Istanbul is unbelieveable and the service on board is like a parade of food during the entire flight. I have to skip some of the meals, there's so much.

Biz class to Europe does not always guarantee lie flats. I was just stuck on a Delta flight to Europe with domestic biz seats, not lie flat. Check Seat Guru to be sure of the seating.

Any other US based airlines that dare offer non-flat seats for a night flight overseas? I haven't heard of any other that would do that to their costumers.

Any other US based airlines that dare offer non-flat seats for a night flight overseas? I haven't heard of any other that would do that to their costumers.

There wasn't even a footrest on Delta...oh well, first World Problems.

Wow. The only DL overseas flight with seats like that which we've taken was between Keflavik and JFK. They run planes like that between northern South America and Latin America (think Quito, Costa Rica, etc) and Atlanta also. But those are all 4-5 hour flights. And Iceland Air has a similar product between Boston or JFK and Keflavik, so the DL product matches that.

Gourmet Gal - what route did you fly where the seats were like domestic first? That's not how I'd like to start my trip. Do you know if it was a last-minute equipment change, or was it this way from the get-go?

Wow. The only DL overseas flight with seats like that which we've taken was between Keflavik and JFK. They run planes like that between northern South America and Latin America (think Quito, Costa Rica, etc) and Atlanta also. But those are all 4-5 hour flights. And Iceland Air has a similar product between Boston or JFK and Keflavik, so the DL product matches that.

Gourmet Gal - what route did you fly where the seats were like domestic first? That's not how I'd like to start my trip. Do you know if it was a last-minute equipment change, or was it this way from the get-go?

The nonstop from CVG to CDG didn't have full recline 2 years ago, but in looking at the website, it looks like they do now.

Robin

Well, I did as usual but only to see which seats not to request. I believe the description was "standard business class seat", no mention of lie-flat....I didn't pick up on that. Live and learn. I just stayed up all night.

Did they call it 'Delta One'? AFAIK those are all lie-flat. But if they called it 'Business' that would be the older style.

It was overnight MSP to KEF with overnight being the operative word.

I guess they fly that route to compete with Iceland Air, which AFAIK only has those kind of seats. It's not a bad setup from JFK or BOS, when the flight is barely 5 hours. It is "only" 6h from MSP according to the Iceland Air website. Still. Much less fun, especially if you're expecting lie-flat seats.

We decided to try Icelandair for our trip to Munich in December and booked Saga class. I know these are much like domestic first 40 inch pitch is better than any of the PE offerings on the major airlines and for us, it is the shortest route from Orlando. Price was the same as Lufthansa in PE but Saga has larger and wider seats. For a 6 hour flight, we should be fine. I will post some comments when we return.

Thank you all again for this wealth of information. I started a search for a travel agent Wednesday; found a name mentioned on an older post on trip advisor and she was the third person I called and left a voice mail for and she called within a few hours after 7 pm. She recently completed a AMA cruise. We talked after I got home from work yesterday and had two conversations way after the usual 5 pm quitting time which you just can't get with AAA. This is a bit of weight off of my shoulders. Right now I have two rooms on hold for a Rhine cruise. I will talk with her later today about insurance and air. I will see what I come up with also. Still need to decide if we will add some land days.

My mom said she was getting excited after I told her I had two cabins on hold. I reserved the cheapest they had for my dh and I which is on the piano deck. I hope there isn't engine noise down there; I read somewhere about someone having a horrible time sleeping, but I don't think it was AMA.

Glad to hear you have found a knowledgable travel agent, one that has already been on a river cruise added to that! This is a very good start. I hope your mother likes castles! :D There are tons of those on the Rhine. You have probably seen photos but here is the website of the most visited castle in the Rhine gorge, Marksburg castle: http://www.marksburg.de/en/ It is very high on that hill and tricky to master with weak ankles. Wheelchairs and other helping devices are out of the question up there anyway. Still it is fantastic to see from the river. If she does not mind heights you can go up to Ehrenbreitstein fortress with the cable car: http://www.seilbahn-koblenz.de/homepage.html or get a taxi up there. Much easier to master for any feet, young or old.

I hope your plans work out.

notamermaid