Not using Beverage Packages

Hi everyone! I will be travelling to the Mediterranean on the Brilliance of the Seas during October 2017. This will be the first cruise for my future Wife and I as a Honeymoon trip. Seeing as this trip has a good amount of stops, we were evaluating if its really cost efficient to buy a beverages package for both, as it would be somewhat costly for both at 12 nights.

Our drinking situation is the following: I (Husband) do not drink alcohol and my future wife drinks very little. We even think that with the 1 or 2 bottles allowed would be sufficient for her. Given that, we were only considering the refreshments package ( the one that includes Juices, coffee, etc). However, it may seem that paying for that package when 7 of the days we will be in land consuming outside drinks. Is there some way to know how much are the average prices (I've found a couple of sites that give estimates)?

Also, assuming that I dont buy any package, how does the purchasing process for drinks work? For example, if we are at the Dining table and order 2 cokes, would they just charge my room and I pay at the end? How does this process work?

Thanks in advanced for any input or suggestions on the matter! :)

Hi everyone! I will be travelling to the Mediterranean on the Brilliance of the Seas during October 2017. This will be the first cruise for my future Wife and I as a Honeymoon trip. Seeing as this trip has a good amount of stops, we were evaluating if its really cost efficient to buy a beverages package for both, as it would be somewhat costly for both at 12 nights.

Our drinking situation is the following: I (Husband) do not drink alcohol and my future wife drinks very little. We even think that with the 1 or 2 bottles allowed would be sufficient for her. Given that, we were only considering the refreshments package ( the one that includes Juices, coffee, etc). However, it may seem that paying for that package when 7 of the days we will be in land consuming outside drinks. Is there some way to know how much are the average prices (I've found a couple of sites that give estimates)?

Also, assuming that I dont buy any package, how does the purchasing process for drinks work? For example, if we are at the Dining table and order 2 cokes, would they just charge my room and I pay at the end? How does this process work?

Without a package you would use your seapass card and the purchases are added to your on board account which is billed the credit card you have on file at the end of the cruise. For your situation it would not make sense to me to get any package. Whether you want the Replenish package or not would depend on your actual consumption. There are free coffee, tea and flavored water options almost everywhere on board.

... There are free coffee, tea and flavored water options almost everywhere on board.

Awesome to hear this. I would assume that I would only need to buy water every now and then, juice for breakfast and coke for dinner when applicable.

Thanks to everyone and your input!

And you can usually check a case of water bottles as baggage - just tape a room tag on it (you get that with check-in documents or from a luggage handler at the port) and it should not be a problem, although not officially allowed. At worst, you are out the few dollars for the case.

As for liquor, my in-laws usually pack one wine "box" in each of their large pieces of luggage, and they don't have a problem getting that on board either..

There are free juices at breakfast - only the fresh squeezed stuff costs extra.

Does this apply in the MDR and CK as well? Or are non-squeezed juices still pay per drink at breakfast in those venues?

Depending on how much you drink I hear there is a middle ground. I've heard that Royal Caribbean has offered a 10 drink cards. I *think* i heard its 79 plus tip (94 total I think). This way, you can drink what you need and not feel like you need to "get the value of the drink package" which maybe difficult with as many ports as you have. But make sure you use up the card, otherwise, you definitely will be losing out.

Awesome to hear this. I would assume that I would only need to buy water every now and then, juice for breakfast and coke for dinner when applicable.

Thanks to everyone and your input!

Tap water is fine to drink; cabin steward will bring ice daily on request. No need to purchase water. It's available at any bar, food location, etc.

Drinks included with your fare include coffee, ( not specialty), hot tea, iced tea, white and chocolate milk, hot chocolate, flavored waters, lemonade (not fizzy; more like cordial lemonade), juices with breakfast (not fresh squeezed), usually orange, Apple, tomato, cranberry - can vary by ship/restaurant. You would have to pay for Coke/pop/soda.

Does this apply in the MDR and CK as well? Or are non-squeezed juices still pay per drink at breakfast in those venues?

Fresh squeezed juices are extra in the MDR also. Not sure about CK.

I take my own filtered water bottle as I think it improves the taste of the water and I can fill it up as needed both on and off the ship. Just pour water from a glass into the bottle so as not to spread germs. Plus it is free cost wise and saves on the plastic waste of purchasing bottled water.

My DH and I cruised last December, and purchased the refreshment package (everything but alcohol) when it was on sale for $18. We both enjoyed getting specialty coffees, regular premium coffee, bottled water, fresh orange juice at breakfast, and having soda available. It was definitely worth it for us.

For our upcoming 6 night cruise, we will do the same, I'm watching for the sale and we might buy a drink card for alcohol, since we can split it and probably use it all.

Congratulations on your marriage and I hope you have a great trip!

I take my own filtered water bottle as I think it improves the taste of the water and I can fill it up as needed both on and off the ship. Just pour water from a glass into the bottle so as not to spread germs. Plus it is free cost wise and saves on the plastic waste of purchasing bottled water.

I don't understand what you mean about not spreading germs, how would you get water into the bottle in a way that spreads germs?

I don't understand what you mean about not spreading germs, how would you get water into the bottle in a way that spreads germs?

You are not supposed to fill water bottles directly from any water dispenser. I believe that's what they were referring to.

Depending on how much you drink I hear there is a middle ground. I've heard that Royal Caribbean has offered a 10 drink cards. I *think* i heard its 79 plus tip (94 total I think). This way, you can drink what you need and not feel like you need to "get the value of the drink package" which maybe difficult with as many ports as you have. But make sure you use up the card, otherwise, you definitely will be losing out.

FYI. The 10 drink card is not offered on every cruise and usually it is towards the very end of the sailing. Last day or two.

So... I've done a similar cruise, and since it's so port intensive, I wouldn't get a package! Don't get me wrong- this was my all time favorite cruise, but the days were filled with long excursions, and we didn't drink much of anything on the ship :). One nice thing about the drink package would be the bottles of water you could take off the ship for free :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Included in your fare is: Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast. If you can get by with mostly those beverages, then you don't even need the "refresh" package. If you want the odd soda or some other not included drink, you can simply buy it as you go.

Judging from what you have said here, I agree with others who have said that you really don't need any drink package at all. In your situation, I would not spend the money because you are probably not going to get your money's worth.

Wishing you both much happiness in your marriage and on your fabulous honeymoon! :D

Consider buying On Board Credit if the rates are good. It will soften the blow of buying on the ship. With only one sea day I believe on your cruise you would need to guzzle a lot in a short time.