Crown after Regal/Royal

passy

I have cruised on Regal and Royal and now considering a Caribbean cruise on Crown over new year. How does Crown compare to Regal and Royal? And any idea what we could expect on New Year's Eve please?

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have cruised on Regal and Royal and now considering a Caribbean cruise on Crown over new year. How does Crown compare to Regal and Royal? And any idea what we could expect on New Year's Eve please?

Many thanks!

Many people love the older ships with different features than the Royal & Regal. I've begun to not like the older ships with all of their ageing problems (AC, water, food prep) & stick with the Royal class whenever possible.

We've sailed most of the old ships many times & we're not in a hurry to go back. It's not to say I wouldn't cruise on the Crown again but all things equal I'll stick with the newer class.

I've been on both the Royal and the Regal, yet my favorite ship is the Coral which is 15 years old, 4 years older than the Crown.

Each ship has it's own charm.The only thing I prefer on the Royal class ships is the buffet. You can keep the sky walk and water show, they do nothing for me.

Many people love the older ships with different features than the Royal & Regal. I've begun to not like the older ships with all of their ageing problems (AC, water, food prep) & stick with the Royal class whenever possible.

We've sailed most of the old ships many times & we're not in a hurry to go back. It's not to say I wouldn't cruise on the Crown again but all things equal I'll stick with the newer class.

Agree regarding Royal and Regal. However, I would NOT sail again on the older ships after sailing on these. Yo me, the theater seating is very uncomfortable, the common deck passenger flow is horrible as it "funnels" movement into narrow spaces, and the elevators may just be the worst at sea. Cabins essentially the same. The buffet on the Royal class is a huge upgrade over the older ships. Sailing Majestic next year in Australia and a T/A on Regal in the Spring.

With all the issues reported on the Crown lately...the most recent being its failure of a CDC Sanitary Inspection...I'd forego it in favor of the Regal or Royal. We've been doing 20 to 30 day Caribbean cruises during the winter, most recently on the Royal. In 2019 the Crown will replace the Royal and we'll be sailing on the Celebrity Reflection.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I have a different feeling. We were on the Crown in Feb/Mar of this year and found no issues. For a tropical cruise the Crown is superior to the Royal and Regal. For starters there are 5 different pools including the adults only Terrace pool aft and the Lotus pool forward. You can find both sun and shade lounging around most of the pools. The Royal class ships lack lounge chair shade in the pool areas. The Crown has free sauna and steam rooms the Royal class do not. The Crown has more lounges with actual dance floors, Explorer's Lounge, Club Fusion, Wheelhouse Bar. In the evening you will find various types of live music in these lounges to listen to or dance if you like. You will also find live music and entertainment in the Piazza area. The Crown has Skywalker's for daytime viewing and late evening nightclub dancing. Don't miss the quiet Adagio lounge on deck 16 aft. The 360 degree promenade is a plus with padded chairs and a cover overhead.

The Royal and Regal have some advantages, Alfredo's and a larger Piazza area. But the Piazza is the only location on the ship to hold large activities and dancing. It is overused, and frequently crowded. Evening activities that take place in the Piazza cut into Crooner's time, with Crooner's entertainment starting later in the evening on most nights. Princess Live on the Royal Class ships is a misconceived poorly designed venue. It is very dark, has uncomfortable studio seating, and no real way to have a drink with no table or cup holders to handle any drinks.

For information we have sailed on the Royal, the Crown and other 1st and 2nd generation Grand Class ships, Coral & Island and the Sun Class ships. We have experienced them all.

Princess Live on the Royal Class ships is a misconceived poorly designed venue. It is very dark, has uncomfortable studio seating, and no real way to have a drink with no table or cup holders to handle any drinks.

Many people seem to knock the Princess Live venue but it is a good layout for what it's original purpose was designed for.

Live TV production shows.

It was never conceived to be an entertainment show lounge with waiters serving drinks.

Enjoy it for what it is.

Many thanks!

NYE will be a formal night (if at all possible). Therefore, the more "special" menu. You'll get a horn to toot and a crown for the ladies and top hat for the gents (cardboard, of course).

That's about it from what I can recall. YMMV

Many people seem to knock the Princess Live venue but it is a good layout for what it's original purpose was designed for.

It was never conceived to be an entertainment show lounge with waiters serving drinks.

Enjoy it for what it is.

Unfortunately Princess does many of the game shows in here and it's a terrible venue for that. It's one of my dislikes of the ships. It's so much more comfortable watching in Explorer's lounge.

Unfortunately Princess does many of the game shows in here and it's a terrible venue for that. It's one of my dislikes of the ships. It's so much more comfortable watching in Explorer's lounge.

I suppose I'm not that critical about it. It served it purpose.

Enjoy it for what it is.

There were no live production TV shows during the 62 days I have been on the Royal. They do record some shows like the marriage game which are available for viewing in the cabin using the on demand feature. I would like to know how many views they actually get. That would help the big wigs decide if the idea was a good or faulty one.

If Princess wanted to create TV shows they could have had an Explorer's Lounge type venue with multi purpose use. TV technology is so advanced these days that you do not require a studio set up to produce shows.

I sailed on the Regal Princess to the Baltic 2 years ago and although it was a nice cruise, I thought the ship was too big. I have deliberately opted for the Crown this year even though we could have bought a balcony on the Regal for the price of an outside on the Crown. I have also sailed on the Caribbean and Sapphire ships and preferred them to the Regal. Just my preference.

I've sailed all three and liked them all. I missed the mid-ship stairs on the Royal and the Regal, but they are both beautiful ships. The last time I was on the Crown I used the aft pool a lot - I'll be on the ship this fall for a Canada/New England so that won't be the biggest attraction.

To me, it's about the experience, the service, the ports, and the people. I guess I'm fairly easy to please as I've rarely had any complaints.

There were no live production TV shows during the 62 days I have been on the Royal. They do record some shows like the marriage game which are available for viewing in the cabin using the on demand feature. I would like to know how many views they actually get. That would help the big wigs decide if the idea was a good or faulty one.

If Princess wanted to create TV shows they could have had an Explorer's Lounge type venue with multi purpose use. TV technology is so advanced these days that you do not require a studio set up to produce shows.

I find that strange since on the typical 10 day Caribbean cruise it's used for live televising the Wake Show every day and at night there was the Marriage Game, Yes/No game as well as a Culinary demo- all broadcast live plus repeats afterwards. The venue was always in use for one thing or another, although not broadcast like Pop Choir, Trivia, Steel drum Classes, Navigation

@Sea, and even Bingo one day.

A very busy place.

It sounds like your cruise director couldn't be bothered to schedule anything for the passengers.

Enjoy it for what it is.

A terrible concept, uncomfortable to use, lacks atmosphere and cheaply built.

I absolutely love Princess Live on the royal and Regal and spent most evenings there.

Any other comments about the Crown would be welcomed!

We loved Princess Live on Royal, & there was something there just about every night on our sailing. True, its not pretty, but is set up like a TV studio.

I think both class ships have different things to like. We like the Terrace Pool on Crown, and the fact that yoy can get away from MUTS sometimes by going to another pool. On Royal, we loved the larger atrium & Alfredos is a great alternative to Horizon Court, although Royal's Horizon is vastly better than Crown's. Surprisingly, the smaller balcony on Royal did not matter much to us.

We wouldn't hesitate to sail either ship again.

The total space dedicated to the studio isn't that large.

What would you do in that amount of space?

Build a nice comfy lounge with a dance floor, retractable stage and bar service, I guess you could call it Explorers Lounge. As they say if is isn't broke don't fix it...

I have a different feeling. We were on the Crown in Feb/Mar of this year and found no issues. For a tropical cruise the Crown is superior to the Royal and Regal. For starters there are 5 different pools including the adults only Terrace pool aft and the Lotus pool forward. You can find both sun and shade lounging around most of the pools. The Royal class ships lack lounge chair shade in the pool areas. The Crown has free sauna and steam rooms the Royal class do not. The Crown has more lounges with actual dance floors, Explorer's Lounge, Club Fusion, Wheelhouse Bar. In the evening you will find various types of live music in these lounges to listen to or dance if you like. You will also find live music and entertainment in the Piazza area. The Crown has Skywalker's for daytime viewing and late evening nightclub dancing. Don't miss the quiet Adagio lounge on deck 16 aft. The 360 degree promenade is a plus with padded chairs and a cover overhead.

The Royal and Regal have some advantages, Alfredo's and a larger Piazza area. But the Piazza is the only location on the ship to hold large activities and dancing. It is overused, and frequently crowded. Evening activities that take place in the Piazza cut into Crooner's time, with Crooner's entertainment starting later in the evening on most nights. Princess Live on the Royal Class ships is a misconceived poorly designed venue. It is very dark, has uncomfortable studio seating, and no real way to have a drink with no table or cup holders to handle any drinks.

For information we have sailed on the Royal, the Crown and other 1st and 2nd generation Grand Class ships, Coral & Island and the Sun Class ships. We have experienced them all.

I agree with your review all the way. We are elite and have sailed on all of the different classes of Princess Ships. I have enjoyed them all. Your can have a great cruise on any ship and a bad cruise on any ship. We have cruised on the Regal twice a transatlantic & a 10 day Caribbean. Both good cruises. On our Regal 10 Caribbean over New Years 2017 we had a group of 8. I had bragged about how great the dining experience was. Except for the Crown Grill & the WineMakers Dinner, it was the worst dining we have had out of all our cruises on any cruise line. (37 cruises). The very best dining experience we have ever had was on the Coral in 2016 on a Panama Canal Cruise. I am saying many factors go into what makes a good cruise. One of the oldest Princess ships is the Grand we have had 2 great cruises on that ship. One in 2012 and one in 2013. I would not rule out any Princess ship based on age. Of course the new ships are pretty. I still think Princess does a great job maintaining their fleet. We are leaving on the Crown July 8, 2017 for 21 days. I will let you know what kind of shape it is in on our return.

Build a nice comfy lounge with a dance floor, retractable stage and bar service, I guess you could call it Explorers Lounge. As they say if is isn't broke don't fix it...

I don't dance or sit there listening to a band. There are also enough bars for what I need so no matter what they do is OK by me.

I find that strange since on the typical 10 day Caribbean cruise it's used for live televising the Wake Show every day and at night there was the Marriage Game, Yes/No game as well as a Culinary demo- all broadcast live plus repeats afterwards. The venue was always in use for one thing or another, although not broadcast like Pop Choir, Trivia, Steel drum Classes, Navigation

@Sea, and even Bingo one day.

A very busy place.

It sounds like your cruise director couldn't be bothered to schedule anything for the passengers.

Busy, yes. But why is it busy? Answer, because the ship designers provided the entertainment staff with only two locations, Vista Lounge, Princess Live, for their normal activities. I question the thinking of the top Princess execs. Why design a venue where it is difficult to sell one of your most profitable on board items, drinks? Why take the low sales road? You may enjoy Princess Live, but we just tolerate it. With that said we are booked on the Royal for twenty days next February.