Help a long time Princess cruiser try something new :)

PrincessMelody

Hi all! I was hoping for your opinions...Hubs and I are mid 40's, and LOVE cruising! We have over 20 Princess cruises, and we are very happy with them. However, We were thinking that once in a while we should branch out and try some other lines too! It's hard to figure out which one to choose, since we have cruised so much and so long with Princess we are out of touch with all the others!

On Princess we enjoy the Atrium, music and dancing, the International Cafe, the MUTS, good MDR food and buffet, and nice pool/outdoor areas.

So hoping some of you who cruise other lines as well could recommend another line for us to try that would provide a similar experience to what we enjoy about Princess.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Hi all! I was hoping for your opinions...Hubs and I are mid 40's, and LOVE cruising! We have over 20 Princess cruises, and we are very happy with them. However, We were thinking that once in a while we should branch out and try some other lines too! It's hard to figure out which one to choose, since we have cruised so much and so long with Princess we are out of touch with all the others!

On Princess we enjoy the Atrium, music and dancing, the International Cafe, the MUTS, good MDR food and buffet, and nice pool/outdoor areas.

So hoping some of you who cruise other lines as well could recommend another line for us to try that would provide a similar experience to what we enjoy about Princess.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Hi

We've done our Princess Cruises a few times and as you, decided to try something new. So far we have tried Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania (regent7seas sister), Azamara, Celebrity, P&O and Princess.

For size, entertainment etc. I'd suggest Celebrity Cruises as they have everything that Princess have but newer and funkier. If you book at the right time you can get a drinks package and onboard credits.

Royal Caribbean isn't for us as the ships are too large but I'd let someone who's cruised with them give you feedback on them.

Silversea is fabulous for luxury and food but there's very little to do in the evenings. Seabourn is much the same but just a tad below Silversea.

Azamara is the same cruise line as Celebrity but the ships are smaller, call at smaller ports and have a few more things included. It's more relaxed than other small ships with no formal nights but people still dress quite smart. They do have dancing to a love band but no nightclub, plus you get a wider range of nationalities onboard. They also do an Azamazing evening on each sailing which is included and always fabulous.

I hope this helps but if you have other questions please ask :-)

Caio

Lolly

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Forums mobile app

Hi

We've done our Princess Cruises a few times and as you, decided to try something new. So far we have tried Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania (regent7seas sister), Azamara, Celebrity, P&O and Princess.

For size, entertainment etc. I'd suggest Celebrity Cruises as they have everything that Princess have but newer and funkier. If you book at the right time you can get a drinks package and onboard credits.

Royal Caribbean isn't for us as the ships are too large but I'd let someone who's cruised with them give you feedback on them.

Silversea is fabulous for luxury and food but there's very little to do in the evenings. Seabourn is much the same but just a tad below Silversea.

Azamara is the same cruise line as Celebrity but the ships are smaller, call at smaller ports and have a few more things included. It's more relaxed than other small ships with no formal nights but people still dress quite smart. They do have dancing to a love band but no nightclub, plus you get a wider range of nationalities onboard. They also do an Azamazing evening on each sailing which is included and always fabulous.

I hope this helps but if you have other questions please ask :-)

Caio

Lolly

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much for your post Lolly!! ❤️[emoji257] I appreciate all the good information!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Consider the Radiance class ships of Royal Caribbean. I love the design and features and wouldn't hesitate to sail them again.

Thank you!! I will definitely check this out as an option! [emoji1360][emoji4]

Celebrity Solstice Class ships are beautiful. We have 17 Princess, a few Royal Caribbean and a few Celebrity, and we love Celebrity. The entertainment is the best on Royal though, but we don't care for their Voyager class ships where you feel like you're trapped instead of a mall. We liked the Vision class with its Windows everywhere, but overall, the ship didn't have any bells and whistles. Celebrity ships are decorated so nicely , rather whimsical in certain areas, have a more European vibe, versus Princess, which is very traditional. If you like the international cafe on princess, you will love Cafe Baccio on X. (Celebrity)

X gelato is much better than Princess's.

We always go Aqua class, so you get your own private dining room (100 people approx) with more upscale dining, as well as daily access to the thermal spa.

We Love the martini bars on Celebrity and the Solarium enclosed pool.

Google Equinox ship and then "images" to see pics, or there is a good site called beyondships.com, and you can explore that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Celebrity Solstice Class ships are beautiful. We have 17 Princess, a few Royal Caribbean and a few Celebrity, and we love Celebrity. The entertainment is the best on Royal though, but we don't care for their Voyager class ships where you feel like you're trapped instead of a mall. We liked the Vision class with its Windows everywhere, but overall, the ship didn't have any bells and whistles. Celebrity ships are decorated so nicely , rather whimsical in certain areas, have a more European vibe, versus Princess, which is very traditional. If you like the international cafe on princess, you will love Cafe Baccio on X. (Celebrity)

X gelato is much better than Princess's.

We always go Aqua class, so you get your own private dining room (100 people approx) with more upscale dining, as well as daily access to the thermal spa.

We Love the martini bars on Celebrity and the Solarium enclosed pool.

Google Equinox ship and then "images" to see pics, or there is a good site called beyondships.com, and you can explore that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for this, it is very helpful!! :)

Prior to our Celebrity cruise in June, I would have recommended Celebrity but not anymore! You can read my comparison I posted earlier today on the Princess boards.

Thank you, I will definitely look for your comparison post.

We are loyal to Princess for a few reasons but mainly the food and friendly crew. We have done Royal Caribbean twice now (Vision and Oasis).

The Vision cruise we were with friends and it was definitely more of a party atmosphere and a much smaller ship... this was our first experience with Royal Caribbean and we almost didn't go back. HOWEVER... we did try the Oasis last August and I must say it was a completely different experience.

There is something for everyone or nothing at all if that is what you prefer. The night club and dancing venues were always more lively than any Princess ship I've been on. With so many PAX the only time it felt crowded was in the buffet during breakfast. Giovanni's table was the best meal I've had on a cruise ship... and maybe on vacation anywhere! We got a great deal during hurricane season and it was well worth the risk in my opinion.

We are early 30's, pool rats during most days.. DIY'ers in most ports and typically make good use of our drink package on sea days :halo:

If you want something new, give Norwegian a try. We have cruised Princess many times and Royal Caribbean a few. (I enjoyed RC too). We have done 1 Celebrity and it was just ok. Only 1 Norwegian, but it was on the Epic, in a spa balcony cabin, and it was great. I also loved the variety of restaurants, rather than a main dining room. While we are still cruising Princess, I am looking forward to another Norwegian cruise.

We are loyal to Princess for a few reasons but mainly the food and friendly crew. We have done Royal Caribbean twice now (Vision and Oasis).

The Vision cruise we were with friends and it was definitely more of a party atmosphere and a much smaller ship... this was our first experience with Royal Caribbean and we almost didn't go back. HOWEVER... we did try the Oasis last August and I must say it was a completely different experience.

There is something for everyone or nothing at all if that is what you prefer. The night club and dancing venues were always more lively than any Princess ship I've been on. With so many PAX the only time it felt crowded was in the buffet during breakfast. Giovanni's table was the best meal I've had on a cruise ship... and maybe on vacation anywhere! We got a great deal during hurricane season and it was well worth the risk in my opinion.

We are early 30's, pool rats during most days.. DIY'ers in most ports and typically make good use of our drink package on sea days :halo:

Thanks for taking the time to post! Hubs has mentioned Oasis...definitely one to consider! :)

If you want something new, give Norwegian a try. We have cruised Princess many times and Royal Caribbean a few. (I enjoyed RC too). We have done 1 Celebrity and it was just ok. Only 1 Norwegian, but it was on the Epic, in a spa balcony cabin, and it was great. I also loved the variety of restaurants, rather than a main dining room. While we are still cruising Princess, I am looking forward to another Norwegian cruise.

Thank you so much! Norwegian sounds like a very nice option!! :)

The truth is you are unlikely to find another cruise line that checks off all the things you like about Princess. Some things may be a little better, but you are more likely to notice the ones that are a little worse. So remind yourself before boarding that it isn't Princess and try to enjoy it for what it is. Among the recommendations you have gotten so far, the smaller cruise ships will not have the entertainment you like; Royal Caribbean ships will be much larger and more crowded than Princess; Norwegian food is not as good as Princess; Celebrity doesn't have as good food in the main dining room (but they have two superior restaurants for AquaClass cabins and for Suites) and definitely charges more for everything onboard.

Thanks for taking the time to post! Hubs has mentioned Oasis...definitely one to consider! :)

I sailed on the Oasis of the Seas last November, two weeks to the day after I disembarked the Regal Princess. While I'm so happy we finally tried Oasis, the food quality and service levels on the Regal was much, much better. The buffets are not even on the same page! Once we got past the novelty of the size and the unique features, the only thing that was better on the Oasis was the entertainment if you like things like the ice show, the musical and the diving show. Oh, and more pools.

And if you do decide to give Oasis a try, avoid any sailing around a school holiday unless you like kids at every turn!

We have sailed we have sailed on 7 Royal Caribbean and three Princess, with one more Princess coming. We enjoy Royal Caribbean for the varied activities available on the various ships.

In comparison, Princess is a little bit more subdued and mellow. We we found the princess style of leaving you alone is very relaxing but at times it can be too quiet. Royal Caribbean tends to have a little of everything for everybody. We found the food to be better on Royal Caribbean with respect to Quality and portions. We also found the demographic on Princess to be older than Royal Caribbean.

Each line has its features and benefits. The cruise is what you make it to be.

Might try MSC - they have a status match program, so your Elite status transfers over to MSC Black level. We did a 7 day cruise with MSC and enjoyed it - It's different than Princess, more European, and thought the Buffet's and MDR food was better on MSC. Still prefer Princess to MSC but it was nice to try something new

I agree about trying something new. If you stay with the same line, you begin to get in a rut, and it's fun to explore different cruise lines and see how they are different from each other. We have sailed Royal, Princess, Celebrity, and Oceania. They all have something different and something similar to offer. Right now Oceania has replaced Celebrity as our favorite, but after our last Princess cruise on the Diamond, we both swore we'd never sail Princess again, but I just booked a New Years cruise on the Regal. Never say never! I think choosing a ship depends on what you are interested in. Personally, I think Celebrity has much better food and entertainment than any Princess ship I have been on, but most everyone here will totally disagree with that. But then I am not loyal to any cruise line.

Try a new line, you can always go back to Princess. But you just might be surprised!

I agree about trying something new. If you stay with the same line, you begin to get in a rut, and it's fun to explore different cruise lines and see how they are different from each other. We have sailed Royal, Princess, Celebrity, and Oceania. They all have something different and something similar to offer. Right now Oceania has replaced Celebrity as our favorite, but after our last Princess cruise on the Diamond, we both swore we'd never sail Princess again, but I just booked a New Years cruise on the Regal. Never say never! I think choosing a ship depends on what you are interested in. Personally, I think Celebrity has much better food and entertainment than any Princess ship I have been on, but most everyone here will totally disagree with that. But then I am not loyal to any cruise line.

Try a new line, you can always go back to Princess. But you just might be surprised!

I won't disagree with you... X is great and the food is far superior, and wonderful specialty options too. I've sailed Princess many times in a row since my last X cruise... and sadly, I'm just bored with them. I've watched so much go backwards and they have no innovation whatsoever. So many cool exciting things happening on every other line. Every new ship coming out has something exciting or innovative... NCL, RCCL, the new Celebrity Edge, even MSC! I totally agree with the op, time for something new. Gonna try NCL this year, and cancel my Princess booking. My favorite mini has turned into another silly cash cow for Princess with the stupid Club Class. Reviews of the "unique dining experience" have been pretty poor, and most say, "nothing is different", except for the big price jump. But that's about all Princess comes up with lately, Club Class, Medallions, Norman Love Chocolates, dancing fountains, lol, none of which are of any interest or "wow" factor whatsoever. Shows are samle old cruise ship blah, and even MUTS never seems to change during the day... I think Tina Turner has been playing for the last 10 years!! Love the new movies and NFL football at night, but that can be found elsewhere now... MUTS is not "new" anymore. As someone else mentioned, the demographic seems to be getting older and older... by 11 or 12, it's DEAD onboard. Crown grill has been disappointing the last three cruises. Terrible cuts of meat, and not worth the upcharge. Now they are will be charging $10 for additional entrees too! Like Club Class, Crab Shack is nothing more than a roped off area of an existing dining room, and you pay more for the privilege... and it too is not worth the upcharge. Wait, Sabatini's has a NEW MENU! I guess that's something "new" for Princess! :rolleyes:

X is fantastic, especially for couples. (Just don't go looking for a MUTS, there is none). As someone suggested previously, get an Aqua Class cabin and enjoy the free thermal suite, and unlike the silly club class dining, you have your own restaurant with Blu, not just a roped off area in the same dining room, which is the best Princess can come up with. Get the drink package and enjoy the terrific Martini Bar... it's great! I HOPE Princess does something new with the upcoming ship. If it's just another copy of Regal with no real interesting venues and options, Princess is going to be left behind. I'll miss my Elite goodies, but for the price difference (over $2500), the free drink package crushes the free bar setup, and even much of the OBC gets gobbled up by the overpriced Enclave. Who knows, I may be disappointed by NCL! :eek: but hey, you don't know if you don't try, right?!

Edited by CruisingIsBest

I'd also recommend Celebrity. We've done a couple of cruises on Celebrity Solstice, most recently in February, and have enjoyed them as a nice change from Princess.

It seems like Celebrity is a line to definitely try if you're looking for something different after doing a number of cruises (11 for me) in a row on Princess. I've had a couple of cruises on X booked within the last year or so that I had to cancel due to work schedules. It looks I will be retiring next March so I'm looking to branch out in 2019.....:):):)

Bob