Is a window ocean view room worth the extra cost (vs. an interior room)?

We will book an inside for a one day re-positioning cruise, but I have difficulty sleeping in total darkness. Even with the TV on I have difficulties. I have no problem with an inside during the day, getting ready, taking a nap, etc...it is only at night. Being empty nesters (but still employed), we tend to book balconies. Just returned from Alaska in an ocean view and surprisingly did not miss the balcony. Might rethink my balcony preference...nah...I like balconies, but would never turn down any cruise, balcony, oceanview or inside. As long as the cabin is on the ship, it is a good cabin. I would, however, look closely at what is directly above or below the cabin. We were above the piano bar last cruise. We could slightly hear the music in the cabin, but did not mind. Wrapped up normally before we needed to sleep.

It depends on how much extra for the Oceanview . If it is more than you are willing to pay , book an "Inside Guarantee" which at least gives you "hope" of a free upgrade to a cabin with daylight for your first cruise, at the price you like.

I have had porthole on my first, interior on my second, ocean view on third. For me it makes a difference. I like looking out the window and seeing the ship dock or being able to look at the island when we first get up. It makes a difference to me. The interior rooms are just like a hotel room with no window. If you haven't experienced it then you would probably be okay in an interior room. The porthole does the same as the ocean view just not as big of a picture.

Oh well there you go, I stand corrected :) I actually thought I was on the Royal Caribbean board when I replied to this and was thinking in terms of the majority of Royal ships, which use a small round porthole that is up higher on the wall and can't really be used to see outside. Not all ships, but many. In regards to your picture, I can see an ocean view going for more money than the insides.

That's not really true either. Even on Royal Caribbean, porthole windows are not common anymore. They're mostly limited to the older ships, and are only in certain categories. The vast majority of oceanview rooms on RCI are large windows.

I like the light of the oceanview. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping. If I wake up and see natural light, I can be content that the day has begun and I know I don't have to try to keep resting. If I wake up and it's still dark, I know to roll over and give sleep another try. It's true the television (or the virtual oceanviews offered on some ships) will offer similar information, but I find the artificial light of a screen to interfere with sleeping.

That said, I'm happy to be on a cruise in an interior cabin as well. Saving money is good, too!

LOVE interiors! I need a very dark environment to sleep soundly and interior cabins come close to perfect in that regard.

We used to book balconies until I realized how much better I slept in the windowless rooms. Hubby doesn't care either way and we both enjoy the substantial savings so we always book inside cabins now.

This is totally subjective. We started with an oceanview on our first cruise, downgraded to a porthole on the second, and now we almost exclusively book interiors. There are just the two of us, we don't spent a lot of non-sleeping time in our cabin, and I can spend the additional money somewhere else.

We typically book OV gty which usually gets us an obstructed view cabin. I like some natural light but when sailing in an IV cabin just turn the TV on to the bow cam channel & mute the sound. You will "see" the sun come up on the TV just like light would filter through your cabin window.

I've sailed four cruises, with a combination of porthole cabins, large oceanview cabins, and balcony cabins.

2008-Monarch OTS RC - Porthole on deck 2 - first cruise, it was just two of us, and okay.

2008 - Sovereign OTS RC - Large oceanview cabin, deck 6, my son had the flip down bunk.

2013 - Enchantment OTS RC - Initially booked the Panoramic ocean view family cabin, but upgraded to a balcony on deck 7. That was the best cabin experience so far, DS was 15 and had the sleeper sofa.

2016 - Majesty OTS RC - Booked a large oceanview cabin on deck 9 for DH and I. We loved it.

This year? Balcony was only $100 more per person, and came out to less than that with the discount. I would not book an interior as the savings isn't that much from an oceanview. I would book an oceanview any day.

It totally depends on what you are comfortable with. We have sailed in everything from a Neptune Suite (wonderful), to 28 days in an inside cabin (just fine for us). To us, it depends on the price, and the location of the cruise. More important to us, is what is above and below our cabin. We always try to have cabins above and below to guarantee quiet.

The location of the cabin is the most important thing for us, so an interior with immediate access to a deck is fine. For a short cruise, I'd sleep anywhere- there's not enough time to be wanting to sit still in a cabin.

Next winter we'll be in an interior which is a couple of steps away from an outside door, and we'll be fine in there, for a month.

We're booked for our first inside cabin in several years next month. And it's a 12-night cruise. The difference in price to move up to an outside cabin was more than $700 for the two of us. That's more than I'm willing to pay for a window. Generally, I'm willing to pay up to $100 per person to upgrade from an inside to an ocean view and another $100 per person to upgrade from an ocean view to a balcony. But if I can get a bargain on a balcony cabin (under $100 per person per day), then I don't pay as much attention to the difference in price.

Our upcoming cruise is to the British isles--a very port-intensive cruise with only two full days at sea out of the 12.

I personally would never book an inside. I am claustrophobic and the window does let in natural light. The window treatments are room darkening so the cabin can get very dark. In addition at night you are cruising so there are no streetlights shining in to your room. [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have said, worth is subjective.

Here are my pros/cons:

Inside pros:

Dark for sleeping

Great for napping during the day!

Encourages me to get out of the cabin and take advantage of activities/public spaces

Price point (especially as a solo traveler)

Inside cons:

Hard to wake up in the morning- I want to sleep the day away in all that lovely darkness!

Oceanview pros:

Love to recharge watching the waves from my room- no distractions

Easy to wake up in the morning- especially great for port intensive cruises where I need to get up and going early.

Can have great views coming into/leaving ports

Oceanview cons:

Not great for napping during the day

Have to be careful to remember to close the curtains to change clothes/swimsuit

Price

As a solo traveler, having an Oceanview or balcony means I'll spend more time by myself in the room and less time meeting other people. Just depends on what I want from the trip.

Also, be sure to do the math-sometimes a promotion will offer a beverage package, OBC, etc for booking oceanview or above, and so the value of that package should be accounted for.

I'm sure you'll enjoy regardless!