AARP benefits? are they worth it?

blessed015

The discount on MedJet more than pays for the AARP membership, and that's something you should be buying anyway. It provides much better medical evacuation than what's included in travel insurance or credit card benefits.

The discount on MedJet more than pays for the AARP membership, and that's something you should be buying anyway. It provides much better medical evacuation than what's included in travel insurance or credit card benefits.

so is this a webcompany that sells insurance? do you have a link

AARP = Lots of offers for crap you don't want and don't need. No actual value.

I agree with hostjazzbeau.....Medjet should be coverage that everyone considers....it may be the only way you can get home if something happens on a trip. Brief summary: If you find yourself in a foreign hospital and that hospital says they can treat your condition, you may be stuck there. Most insurance requires that the insurance company AND the remote hospital agree that it's medically necessary to fly you home/to another hospital of your choosing. Medjet is different! You request to be flown from the remote hospital to the hospital of your choice and the only agreement needed from the remote hospital is that you are medically stable enough to fly (on a private jet if necessary). I suggest reading medjet.com before you dismiss it because you think you have the same capability with your travel insurance...in most cases, you don't.

Additionally AARP offers some attractive medical/medicare insurance plans and there are times when the AARP rate is the best rate on rental cars/hotels.

AARP has lots of value for us....

Does Medjet cover medical costs? Does Medjet have helicopters for at sea transportation?

No...MedJet covers you from hospital to hospital....you still need travel insurance to get you from the ship to the hospital. Both are important.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope. Only if you sail Carnival and buy gift cards on there (and you don't have to be a paid member).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Buy gift cards on there." Where is "on there" -- on a Carnival ship or on the AARP website? What discount does AARP offer on gift cards? And are the cards useful for paying for everything on Carnival, including the cruise fare?

Thanks!

"Buy gift cards on there." Where is "on there" -- on a Carnival ship or on the AARP website? What discount does AARP offer on gift cards? And are the cards useful for paying for everything on Carnival, including the cruise fare?

Thanks!

Rewards for Change, you get points completing like articles or surveys etc and u can buy a $100 gift card for carnival for $90 or $500 for $450. They are valid on everything, but sometimes out of stock. Avoid Royal caribbean's gift certificates on there. They are never sold out for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does Medjet cover medical costs? Does Medjet have helicopters for at sea transportation?

No...MedJet covers you from hospital to hospital....you still need travel insurance to get you from the ship to the hospital. Both are important.

Regular travel insurance covers your costs for visiting the ship's doctor or a land doctor, and costs associated with getting to and treatment at a land hospital. Those policies also usually include evacuation coverage -- but the fine print says the Insurance Company decides Whether you need to be evacuated, and they also decide Where to evacuate you to. That's why you need MedJet: once you are admitted to a hospital anywhere 150 miles away from home, YOU decide if you want to be evacuated and WHERE you want to go.

And back to the original point of this thread: by joining AARP and then getting Medjet through the link on their website, the Medjet cost is so much lower that you have more than paid for the AARP membership. Anything else you get (like lower hotel rates) is just gravy.

NCL gives 5 percent off. :cool:

I've never been able to use the 5% discount because once you get another benefit it goes away. I did

get a $25 Military OBC from my TA recently on a NCL Cruise! Wow!

• 2 weeks later...