Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

7 days times 2 hours per day is 14 hours.

Do you not wear something for 14 hours in a single day????????

Why bother with them 2 hours a day at all then? I should be less comfortable to account for the delicate feelings of a stranger that may see me 90 seconds; 45 coming and 45 going? If they are crawling under the table to check my clothing, well, they better buy me a drink first if they're going to get weird about it.

Just seems odd to put the same pants on 7 days straight.

All I'll say is in beating the dead horse there must be a reason it keeps coming up, because people are disappointed in the fact that cruises started out in formal wear, then went down to semi formal wear, then to smart casual, then to dress shorts, and now to the I'm on vacation so you have to deal with my grubby choices. what's next underwear? pajamas? bare feet? then what naked? I get you're on vacation, so am I. What makes your being a slob be above my smart casual? Yes I say slob, because that is what it is leading to. each step is a step to be in underwear or pajamas or nude. Sorry that you feel pants are obsolete, but we aren't asking for a tux, we are asking for pants. It was always "oh the tux takes too much room or weighs too much: now it's oh the pants are .... what heavy? get cotton, hot? get lightweight. It really comes down to the mentality that as people we gave up caring how we present ourselves, anywhere. How sad. Yeah I saw it on the freestyle of NCL . shirts inside out to "look clean" , men getting upset when they wanted to come in the Buffet for ice cones in their swim wear no shirt no shoes, and were told no and threw a hissy over an ice cream cone, women wearing "cover ups" that were nothing close to covering up for the french fries to take to the pool, again no shoes. I see all the complaints about Kids on cruises, but I honestly see more adults with a piss off attitude about clothes and what they want. Will I dress up, yep, will I let it spoil the cruise? nope, but geez what happened to dressing appropriately not just in the "I'm on vacation screw you " mode.

In my entire life I've never put on any piece of clothing and thought "Screw you" about a complete stranger. It never occurred to me to be so passive aggressive. Are you dressing up for me, or for yourself?

Many people seem to be okay with clean outfits, non-athletic shorts, etc. for casual nights.

In recent years Royal Caribbean has made no distinction in formal nights and other nights in regards to food, service, ambiance, etc., in the dining room. As I've said the last 2 or 3 years, someone please point to the differences. The MDR is no longer the best meal or service on the ship, it just isn't. The cruise line won't make it so because they have specialty dining to sell. Just accept that with bigger ships and more passengers they need to fill them up week after week to remain successful and in todays world where business casual is acceptable for many professionals, going on a hot weather vacation and dressing up isn't in their interests. Nothing wrong with resort casual. I resent constantly being lumped into such stupid labels as slob, lacking morals, doing things to piss of strangers, etc. It's an absolutely absurd point with no founding. I go to the caribbean to relax and kick back. This isn't an issue on NCL ships where resort casual is the order of the day. I can't believe so many people pretend to be good people and come online and say the nastiest stuff about strangers, only men, because they want to be relaxed on vacation. Those are the ones who truly ought to be ashamed of themselves.

How about this; we eliminate all specialty restaurants, we eliminate my time dining, and we go back to Early and Late seating for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. But with it the cruise line has to pitch in with white glove service, table side prep of salads, baked alaska parades, true 5 course menus, intermezzo, midnight buffets, deck side ice carvings, dinner chime bells, wine stewards, crumb scrapers, after dinner shots and drinks, servers that did not have to run around like cats on crack because the CEO had to pump up numbers for the quarter by cutting staff. I'll dig out the suit.

Also, let's finally just admit that no one gives a rip what women do; they only get wound up by men.

I'll wait to be convinced that shorts are OK but swimsuits are not based on something other than personal preference or appeals to what's "classy" or "appropriate."

Only on page 2 so please forgive me if someone else responded to this.

There is a distinct difference between between the two items. One is to be worn in an area of water which most likely have various levels of human waste on them due to that. The other is a piece of clothing which is above the knee normally. I get the general feeling something akin to THEY ARE TURNING ROYAL IN CARNIVAL!!!!! However lets tone it down a little.

I totally believe that is the reason that some people dress as though they just came from the barn and nothing is said to them. We were on Allure last month and went to Giovanni's. There was a table where the men all wore tee shirts with sayings on them, ball hats and athletic shorts. The women weren't dressed any better, except they didn't wear baseball hats and no one said a single word to them.

I wish that the rules would be enforced or, if headquarters won't back up the employees, do away with them. It makes the cruise line look foolish. There are many passengers that now sail Royal Caribbean and formerly sailed on another line and they brought a lot of their habits with them. Additionally, there are the "entitled" who feel they paid for the cruise and they can do what they want and guess what, they do!

Its not just cruise management who don't back their staff if a customer conplains it happens in lots of places so people fear for their jobs and keep quiet.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Why bother with them 2 hours a day at all then? I should be less comfortable to account for the delicate feelings of a stranger that may see me 90 seconds; 45 coming and 45 going? If they are crawling under the table to check my clothing, well, they better buy me a drink first if they're going to get weird about it.

We agree with you and you gave us a laugh at the end.lol

In my entire life I've never put on any piece of clothing and thought "Screw you" about a complete stranger. It never occurred to me to be so passive aggressive. Are you dressing up for me, or for yourself?

We always dress smart all the time because you never know who you might bump into.

So you just ignore any rules that you do not agree with?

If you don't like the rules, work on getting them changed or don't patronize that business.

You agree to the rules when you purchase your cruise. So abide by them. Others manage to do so. But you seem too special to do so.

You are the one that can't deal with wearing a pair of pants for 14 hours. When I am sure you do that every day. Do you wash your shorts every day???????

Do they give you any flak for wearing shorts on non formal nights?

Looking at a recent Cruise Compass from Adventure, it clearly states in the dining section of every day "Shorts not permitted in the dining room at dinner". You may not get "flak" but...you could get turned away depending on who is at the door. Why risk it?

If you don't like the rules, work on getting them changed or don't patronize that business.

You agree to the rules when you purchase your cruise. So abide by them. Others manage to do so. But you seem too special to do so.

You are the one that can't deal with wearing a pair of pants for 14 hours. When I am sure you do that every day. Do you wash your shorts every day???????

'Can I bring my own water and soda on?'

I always tell people it's against the rules, but everyone else here says they can just ignore that rule. So if people can choose to ignore rules that impact revenue, and thus indirectly raise my costs, why can't I choose what to wear? I mean, I choose to abide by the carry on liquids rule, but many do not. They openly brag about flaunting the rule. have you ever said a word to them? Doubtful.

'Can I remove my tips?'

Technically well within the rules to do so; it is at guest discretion, but people are pilloried if they ask. I guess this forum picks and chooses which rules it deems should be followed?

Is Western night a rule?

Is white night a rule?

Is any themed dress night a rule?

I own more than one pair of pants and one pair of shorts by the way, so no, I don't wash my clothes every day, I wear fresh clean clothes. :')

I am still waiting for someone to tell me what Royal does that makes formal night meaningful. You won't be able to do that either. No one will even try because they know it is a farce.

Why is it that people are ok with following dress codes ("proper attire required") at nicer land restaurants, but if a cruise ship MDR asks the same thing, half the people completely ignore the code cuz it's "their vacation" and get completely p***ed off if someone actually enforces the rule. Would you walk in to the fancy restaurant near you (or better yet, when you're "on vacation" somewhere else on land) with shorts and a t-shirt and demand to be seated when you clearly knew "proper attire is required-no shorts please"? Why is a cruise ship any different? If I wanted to vacation where all anyone wants to wear is shorts and a t-shirt and eat dinner at a McDonalds, I'd vacation at the local Motel 6. It'd be a heckuva lot cheaper than a cruise, which is why I expect more. I paid for the experience. Why doesn't anyone take the time any more to care about their appearance? A perfect example of this is the "People of Walmart" website. Really? You looked in the mirror and left your house that way???

Why is it that people are ok with following dress codes ("proper attire required") at nicer land restaurants, but if a cruise ship MDR asks the same thing, half the people completely ignore the code cuz it's "their vacation" and get completely p***ed off if someone actually enforces the rule. Would you walk in to the fancy restaurant near you (or better yet, when you're "on vacation" somewhere else on land) with shorts and a t-shirt and demand to be seated when you clearly knew "proper attire is required-no shorts please"? Why is a cruise ship any different? If I wanted to vacation where all anyone wants to wear is shorts and a t-shirt and eat dinner at a McDonalds, I'd vacation at the local Motel 6. It'd be a heckuva lot cheaper than a cruise, which is why I expect more. I paid for the experience. Why doesn't anyone take the time any more to care about their appearance? A perfect example of this is the "People of Walmart" website. Really? You looked in the mirror and left your house that way???

Another extremist where everything is black and white. Sad.

You paid for an experience the cruise lines stopped participating in 10 years ago. Ask them why they aren't providing it.

Looking at a recent Cruise Compass from Adventure, it clearly states in the dining section of every day "Shorts not permitted in the dining room at dinner". You may not get "flak" but...you could get turned away depending on who is at the door. Why risk it?

The Cruise Compass also says, "Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion:"...

The way I see it, people seem to only care about themselves. They don't care about what other people think. They paid their money and by gawd, they are going to wear whatever they please and to hell with anyone sitting near them in the MDR. No manners, no morals.....pretty sad situation. It's a dining room, why can't people accept that and put on long pants or a not too short dress?

Something wrong with you????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another extremist where everything is black and white. Sad.

You paid for an experience the cruise lines stopped participating in 10 years ago. Ask them why they aren't providing it.

No it's the passengers that stopped participating. The cruise lines stopped providing it because too many people today have this "me me me I don't give a flying **** about your rules it's my life I'll make my own rules" mentality that makes them assume they can do whatever they want wherever they want. If people don't follow the guidelines and dress for white glove service, why should they receive it? The cruise lines use this as an excuse to lower the standards and provide service that's not as nice as it used to be so they can charge you the same thing they've always charged, but give you less for your money. If you want to wear shorts with half your butt hanging out and a t-shirt with profanity on it into the MDR, understand that you are contributing to what is becoming less of a nice experience for everyone. Don't complain that the waiters aren't attentive as they used to be, and don't complain that the menu choices aren't as nice as they used to be. Lobster night is out-saves them money-hamburger night is in. I feel sorry for those of you who don't appreciate what for some people is a once in a lifetime chance to be treated luxuriously, and the way things are going they won't be able to get that for long. If you don't want to dress appropriately go to the buffet so the rest of us can enjoy what little of the nice service in the MDR is left. And even I don't know everything I'm missing. I've only been cruising since 2003, so there's probably much that got cut out by the time I started.

On formal nights there used to be a nicer menu (Lobster or chateaubriand), there used to be live music in the MDR during dinner. That would also be the night the captain comes out and greets people, they would serve champagne, and other special stuff. Everyone used to dress formally so it really was a special night where everyone looked their best and had a fantastic time. Even our room steward was dressed a little more formally on those nights.

On formal nights there used to be a nicer menu (Lobster or chateaubriand), there used to be live music in the MDR during dinner. That would also be the night the captain comes out and greets people, they would serve champagne, and other special stuff. Everyone used to dress formally so it really was a special night where everyone looked their best and had a fantastic time. Even our room steward was dressed a little more formally on those nights.

And the cruise line stopped that. Not the guests. The guests wanting a more resort casual setting is a result of cruise ships being built to be more resort casual and family friendly. They build ships to accommodate 5000-6000 guests now, not 1500-2000 guests. The company simply has followed the money and part of that was cutting the costs of what they provide.

But the MDR is no longer the best meal or service on the ship; things are designed that way. If the MDR was the best, why go pay additional for specialty? So MDR is limited. I think the staff, the food, the ambiance is basically the same on every night already. People are treated well, within the capability of staffing levels. What is anyone else doing that is diminishing your experience other than the cruise line?

Please stop with extreme, nonsense about vulgar offensive sayings on clothes or shorts with body parts hanging out. I wear clean, non-athletic shorts with a belt, boat shoes, and a polo shirt just above every day where I live. I go out to eat that way. I don't wear my gym shorts or lawn mowing clothing, I don't even own any t-shirts with slogans, let alone vulgar ones, on them. You are lumping in everyone together and it's patently unfair.

The cruise line did not stop providing a service because guests didn't dress for it. Don't YOU still dress for it? But they still don't give that service. It's just to save money. Period. No one is trying to actively go out and offend other guests, they just want to be comfortable and recognize there's nothing really different any given night. Waiters dressing slightly differently doesn't cut it as meaningful because it has no impact on the food or service.

Is any of this clicking? You and I paid for the same food and service. Do you really believe the staff care what you wear or are going to somehow magically make staff levels double to yesteryear because you dressed nicely? What if I told you I didn't think you dressed nicely enough for what you want? You'll not tell me to go get less than I paid for.

No it's the passengers that stopped participating. The cruise lines stopped providing it because too many people today have this "me me me I don't give a flying **** about your rules it's my life I'll make my own rules" mentality that makes them assume they can do whatever they want wherever they want. If people don't follow the guidelines and dress for white glove service, why should they receive it? The cruise lines use this as an excuse to lower the standards and provide service that's not as nice as it used to be so they can charge you the same thing they've always charged, but give you less for your money. If you want to wear shorts with half your butt hanging out and a t-shirt with profanity on it into the MDR, understand that you are contributing to what is becoming less of a nice experience for everyone. Don't complain that the waiters aren't attentive as they used to be, and don't complain that the menu choices aren't as nice as they used to be. Lobster night is out-saves them money-hamburger night is in. I feel sorry for those of you who don't appreciate what for some people is a once in a lifetime chance to be treated luxuriously, and the way things are going they won't be able to get that for long. If you don't want to dress appropriately go to the buffet so the rest of us can enjoy what little of the nice service in the MDR is left. And even I don't know everything I'm missing. I've only been cruising since 2003, so there's probably much that got cut out by the time I started.

So the cutbacks over the past decade or so was the result of cruisers not dressing up in the MDR? Interesting theory.

I thought those cutbacks were because Senior Management wanted to increase profits for the shareholders, increase the share prices of the cruise lines, increase management bonuses, and increase the value of Senior Managements' stock options.

It is a suggestion. Rules are different and not apples to apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At some point a line in the sand needs to be drawn. Interesting that this discussion is on a RCL forum, for they are truly caught between two realities.

Let's face it. If you go on a Carney Cruise, you get what you get. Long ago Carny figured out that if they could provide an experience at a price that Bubba and Buffy could afford, the hordes would board. And that is exactly what happened.

Unfortunately, business was good. Give enough alcohol to a dental assistant from Sheboygan, couple that with a "what happens on the boat stays on the boat" ethos and soon you have rows of beastly 40 year olds twerking their little repressed hearts out. It's ugly, but it fills cabins because these people break away for a week and get to act out with no fear of being recognized once they get off the boat.

What this group doesn't have though is any appreciation for dining at anything beyond the local Hometown Buffet.

Other cruise lines, Celebrity, Princess, etc, didn't attract this crowd and for the most part problems like Wifebeater Waldo in the MDR on formal night didn't happen. Passengers on these lines demographically skew more toward the executive suite, or at least middle management and they know the importance of appearance and genearally respect rules, suggestions and customs.

RCL on the other hand, is a bit caught in the middle. Not as staid as Celebrity, not as lewd as Carnival, but priced competitively with them. Do they enforce civilized standards, or do they let the Kardashian Class run amok? Seems as if they are going to have a decision to make.

Those who fall on the side of the "I can wear whatever I want" argument will never understand the consternation they cause. They are incapable of it. We used to get our social cues from Kennedy's, not Kardashians, but times have changed.

Class and etiquette are for the most part a lost cause. My SO and I appreciate the extra effort taken when we dress to the 9's for a night out. Frankly, the most interesting interactions we've had on board have been during formal night when a compliment given to another well dressed passenger opened a door to conversations that went well into the night.

We had an amazing night getting to know a couple from Japan on one trip. The conversation was sparked when we inquired about her traditional Kimono that she wore for Formal night. And then there was the English couple we met on a Panama Canal trip. He was dressed in what can only be described as the most amazing handmade silk smoking jacket I have ever seen. Turns out he used to buttle for royalty. It was a hilarious evening, but had we been dressed like cretins, that experience doesn't happen.

So guess what? Appearance matters, and when you are gently requested to turn up your sartorial game and you respond with something Luke Duke would balk at, we who get it are appalled and generally want to run to the hills.

It's OK. I spend a lot of extra money to avoid you, but given the trends in the industry it is getting harder and harder. I'm not interested in your belly flops, your selfishness, or your boorish brood. What I am interested in is meeting interesting people and sharing lifetime experiences. When you show up in your shorts and ball cap though, all you are advertising is "I'm an idiot."

I guess what I'm hoping for is that some distinction between the lines remains. When this discussion becomes commonplace on other forums I'll know it's time to pull the rip cord on this whole crusing thing.

'Can I bring my own water and soda on?'

I always tell people it's against the rules, but everyone else here says they can just ignore that rule. So if people can choose to ignore rules that impact revenue, and thus indirectly raise my costs, why can't I choose what to wear? I mean, I choose to abide by the carry on liquids rule, but many do not. They openly brag about flaunting the rule. have you ever said a word to them? Doubtful.

'Can I remove my tips?'

Technically well within the rules to do so; it is at guest discretion, but people are pilloried if they ask. I guess this forum picks and chooses which rules it deems should be followed?

Is Western night a rule?

Is white night a rule?

Is any themed dress night a rule?

I own more than one pair of pants and one pair of shorts by the way, so no, I don't wash my clothes every day, I wear fresh clean clothes. :')

I am still waiting for someone to tell me what Royal does that makes formal night meaningful. You won't be able to do that either. No one will even try because they know it is a farce.

Do you meet the Captain or take the free drinks of champagne?

Fantastic response and very true.