Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

No it's the passengers that stopped participating. The cruise lines stopped providing it because too many people today have this "me me me I don't give a flying **** about your rules it's my life I'll make my own rules" mentality that makes them assume they can do whatever they want wherever they want. If people don't follow the guidelines and dress for white glove service, why should they receive it? The cruise lines use this as an excuse to lower the standards and provide service that's not as nice as it used to be so they can charge you the same thing they've always charged, but give you less for your money. If you want to wear shorts with half your butt hanging out and a t-shirt with profanity on it into the MDR, understand that you are contributing to what is becoming less of a nice experience for everyone. Don't complain that the waiters aren't attentive as they used to be, and don't complain that the menu choices aren't as nice as they used to be. Lobster night is out-saves them money-hamburger night is in. I feel sorry for those of you who don't appreciate what for some people is a once in a lifetime chance to be treated luxuriously, and the way things are going they won't be able to get that for long. If you don't want to dress appropriately go to the buffet so the rest of us can enjoy what little of the nice service in the MDR is left. And even I don't know everything I'm missing. I've only been cruising since 2003, so there's probably much that got cut out by the time I started.

Very sensible and interesting post to read.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

On formal nights there used to be a nicer menu (Lobster or chateaubriand), there used to be live music in the MDR during dinner. That would also be the night the captain comes out and greets people, they would serve champagne, and other special stuff. Everyone used to dress formally so it really was a special night where everyone looked their best and had a fantastic time. Even our room steward was dressed a little more formally on those nights.

Great post and spot on comments.

Seems as if they are going to have a decision to make.

Given the lack of enforcement, I think that decision ship has sailed. The only question at this point is do they pull the plug altogether on dress suggestions or go the Celebrity route and rebrand some of them.

Edited by Biker19

So the cutbacks over the past decade or so was the result of cruisers not dressing up in the MDR? Interesting theory.

I thought those cutbacks were because Senior Management wanted to increase profits for the shareholders, increase the share prices of the cruise lines, increase management bonuses, and increase the value of Senior Managements' stock options.

Seems normal business practice nowadays.

On formal nights there used to be a nicer menu (Lobster or chateaubriand), there used to be live music in the MDR during dinner. That would also be the night the captain comes out and greets people, they would serve champagne, and other special stuff. Everyone used to dress formally so it really was a special night where everyone looked their best and had a fantastic time. Even our room steward was dressed a little more formally on those nights.

Doesn't the captain still come out and greet people, and don't they still serve champagne? Not necessarily in the MDR, but on the first formal night on cruises I've been on, these things do still happen. Also, if I recall, the waiters dress more formally (although I could be wrong on that one).

At some point a line in the sand needs to be drawn. Interesting that this discussion is on a RCL forum, for they are truly caught between two realities.

Let's face it. If you go on a Carney Cruise, you get what you get. Long ago Carny figured out that if they could provide an experience at a price that Bubba and Buffy could afford, the hordes would board. And that is exactly what happened.

Unfortunately, business was good. Give enough alcohol to a dental assistant from Sheboygan, couple that with a "what happens on the boat stays on the boat" ethos and soon you have rows of beastly 40 year olds twerking their little repressed hearts out. It's ugly, but it fills cabins because these people break away for a week and get to act out with no fear of being recognized once they get off the boat.

What this group doesn't have though is any appreciation for dining at anything beyond the local Hometown Buffet.

Other cruise lines, Celebrity, Princess, etc, didn't attract this crowd and for the most part problems like Wifebeater Waldo in the MDR on formal night didn't happen. Passengers on these lines demographically skew more toward the executive suite, or at least middle management and they know the importance of appearance and genearally respect rules, suggestions and customs.

RCL on the other hand, is a bit caught in the middle. Not as staid as Celebrity, not as lewd as Carnival, but priced competitively with them. Do they enforce civilized standards, or do they let the Kardashian Class run amok? Seems as if they are going to have a decision to make.

Those who fall on the side of the "I can wear whatever I want" argument will never understand the consternation they cause. They are incapable of it. We used to get our social cues from Kennedy's, not Kardashians, but times have changed.

Class and etiquette are for the most part a lost cause. My SO and I appreciate the extra effort taken when we dress to the 9's for a night out. Frankly, the most interesting interactions we've had on board have been during formal night when a compliment given to another well dressed passenger opened a door to conversations that went well into the night.

We had an amazing night getting to know a couple from Japan on one trip. The conversation was sparked when we inquired about her traditional Kimono that she wore for Formal night. And then there was the English couple we met on a Panama Canal trip. He was dressed in what can only be described as the most amazing handmade silk smoking jacket I have ever seen. Turns out he used to buttle for royalty. It was a hilarious evening, but had we been dressed like cretins, that experience doesn't happen.

So guess what? Appearance matters, and when you are gently requested to turn up your sartorial game and you respond with something Luke Duke would balk at, we who get it are appalled and generally want to run to the hills.

It's OK. I spend a lot of extra money to avoid you, but given the trends in the industry it is getting harder and harder. I'm not interested in your belly flops, your selfishness, or your boorish brood. What I am interested in is meeting interesting people and sharing lifetime experiences. When you show up in your shorts and ball cap though, all you are advertising is "I'm an idiot."

I guess what I'm hoping for is that some distinction between the lines remains. When this discussion becomes commonplace on other forums I'll know it's time to pull the rip cord on this whole crusing thing.

A few things about your post strike me as ironic and funny.

It seems funny that you cite the Kennedys' in a thread about following the rules. You have a family that generated a large amount of money bootlegging. Instead maybe you mean we took our moral standards from them... oh wait that is even worse.

This reminds me of my grandmother and how she speaks. She will always keep an immaculate house, everything is neat and tidy and has a place. She will then go on to use racial epithets and say really cruel things (granted she is 92 and lived in the south for her entire life [not saying it is right just understandable]). What matters to her is outer appearance with far less introspection of actual ideas and meaning.

I am in my mid 30's currently and maybe I am just too crude for you. My family is that of the people you belittle, my father did run shine and we do have a family farm. Though I also am finishing a doctorate and done well enough to cruise when I want. It is sad we wouldn't be able to have a drink because of my shorts and Hawaiian shirts.

...I guess what I'm hoping for is that some distinction between the lines remains. When this discussion becomes commonplace on other forums I'll know it's time to pull the rip cord on this whole crusing thing...

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Prepare to jump and pull the rip cord.

Edited by davekathy

Cuervosar, I LOVE your post and hope we meet on a cruise someday. I think our families would get along famously.

See my comments in red for this other post:

And the cruise line stopped that. Not the guests. The guests wanting a more resort casual setting is a result of cruise ships being built to be more resort casual and family friendly. They build ships to accommodate 5000-6000 guests now, not 1500-2000 guests. The company simply has followed the money and part of that was cutting the costs of what they provide.

From the RC website:

"Casual: You're on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch."

Which means NOT dinner. Resort casual does not mean anything goes. There's still a standard.

But the MDR is no longer the best meal or service on the ship; things are designed that way. If the MDR was the best, why go pay additional for specialty? So MDR is limited. I think the staff, the food, the ambiance is basically the same on every night already. People are treated well, within the capability of staffing levels. What is anyone else doing that is diminishing your experience other than the cruise line?

See, you're illustrating my point yourself. The MDR used to be the best and there was a time when there were no specialty restaurants you had to pay for. Now, you're telling me I need to spend extra money and go to a specialty restaurant for something I used to get included in my fare in the MDR in the past partly because you and others want to wear what you want to wear.

Please stop with extreme, nonsense about vulgar offensive sayings on clothes or shorts with body parts hanging out. I wear clean, non-athletic shorts with a belt, boat shoes, and a polo shirt just above every day where I live. I go out to eat that way. I don't wear my gym shorts or lawn mowing clothing, I don't even own any t-shirts with slogans, let alone vulgar ones, on them. You are lumping in everyone together and it's patently unfair.

Hey, I wasn't the original person in this thread to mention people who show up in the MDR looking like they came straight from the gym without showering. A line has to be drawn somewhere. If "certain" shorts and t-shirts are allowed, then who is going to decide which shorts and t-shirts are ok and which are not? Each ship is going to have to have the equivalent of the clothes police hanging out at every dining room entrance. I don't even care if you wear jeans as long as they're nice and not ripped-and don't anyone start on the fact that that awfulness is the fashion now.

The cruise line did not stop providing a service because guests didn't dress for it. Don't YOU still dress for it? But they still don't give that service. It's just to save money. Period. No one is trying to actively go out and offend other guests, they just want to be comfortable and recognize there's nothing really different any given night. Waiters dressing slightly differently doesn't cut it as meaningful because it has no impact on the food or service.

No, you can't twist it that way. If you demand less from them, they will gladly give you less to save money. The boys in the board room looking for ways to cut costs see that more and more people have become less discriminating, so they figured why spend extra to go the extra mile if noone cares? If you don't expect and demand the best, you're not going to get it. And obviously enough people have become complacent about ho hum service and ho hum menus and are totally ok with turning the MDR into a completely casual eatery, that it's the new standard. Like I said, less trouble for them = less money spent on extras you didn't even notice you lost. You may have seen this from me already: On formal nights there used to be a nicer menu (Lobster or chateaubriand on every cruise, not just long ones), there used to be live music in the MDR during dinner. That would also be the night the captain comes out and greets people, they would serve champagne, and other special stuff. Everyone used to dress formally so it really was a special night where everyone looked their best and had a fantastic time. Even our room steward was dressed a little more formally on those nights.

Is any of this clicking? You and I paid for the same food and service. Do you really believe the staff care what you wear or are going to somehow magically make staff levels double to yesteryear because you dressed nicely? What if I told you I didn't think you dressed nicely enough for what you want? You'll not tell me to go get less than I paid for.

I'm paying more than ever for cruises that I get less and less on. I know that what's gone is gone, but the least everyone can do is keep things from going downhill any further. Why are you so against a simple pair of pants anyway? Again I ask, do you go to the nicer restaurant in town that clearly says "no shorts" in shorts and demand to be seated?

And the cruise line stopped that. Not the guests. The guests wanting a more resort casual setting is a result of cruise ships being built to be more resort casual and family friendly. They build ships to accommodate 5000-6000 guests now, not 1500-2000 guests. The company simply has followed the money and part of that was cutting the costs of what they provide.

But the MDR is no longer the best meal or service on the ship; things are designed that way. If the MDR was the best, why go pay additional for specialty? So MDR is limited. I think the staff, the food, the ambiance is basically the same on every night already. People are treated well, within the capability of staffing levels. What is anyone else doing that is diminishing your experience other than the cruise line?

Please stop with extreme, nonsense about vulgar offensive sayings on clothes or shorts with body parts hanging out. I wear clean, non-athletic shorts with a belt, boat shoes, and a polo shirt just above every day where I live. I go out to eat that way. I don't wear my gym shorts or lawn mowing clothing, I don't even own any t-shirts with slogans, let alone vulgar ones, on them. You are lumping in everyone together and it's patently unfair.

The cruise line did not stop providing a service because guests didn't dress for it. Don't YOU still dress for it? But they still don't give that service. It's just to save money. Period. No one is trying to actively go out and offend other guests, they just want to be comfortable and recognize there's nothing really different any given night. Waiters dressing slightly differently doesn't cut it as meaningful because it has no impact on the food or service.

Is any of this clicking? You and I paid for the same food and service. Do you really believe the staff care what you wear or are going to somehow magically make staff levels double to yesteryear because you dressed nicely? What if I told you I didn't think you dressed nicely enough for what you want? You'll not tell me to go get less than I paid for.

I think you would have a fight on your hands if you said that to many new cruisers. :D Formal Evenings is sooo 30's? PAXs in their 70's and above are dying, being replaced by the younger casual attitude and dress PAX? Casual not formal dinning dress code. It's the future for survival of cruise lines, you think?

Enjoy your cruise.

And if God wills, grant you good health, that you live and not die before your next cruise.

I'm paying more than ever for cruises that I get less and less on. I know that what's gone is gone, but the least everyone can do is keep things from going downhill any further. Why are you so against a simple pair of pants anyway? Again I ask, do you go to the nicer restaurant in town that clearly says "no shorts" in shorts and demand to be seated?

The funny thing is you aren't paying more than ever actually. In 1995 the cost of an inside cabin was roughly $1000 to $1200pp (for a 7 night). When adjusted for inflation that is $1600 to $2000, for an inside cabin per person.

A while back we were early for dinner and watched a group of young men, not teens, playing basketball. When seated at dinner this same group in their sweat-ringed shirts and athletic shorts, one even had a towel around his neck, showed up. The whole area of the dining room smelled. Their wives/girlfriends were nicely dressed ..... Couldn't figure out why they didn't shower and change.

I agree with you on this. That's just downright nasty. When you can SMELL a diner, they should be politely asked to leave. Just my opinion.

I agree with you on this. That's just downright nasty. When you can SMELL a diner, they should be politely asked to leave. Just my opinion.

Not defending anyone's poor personal hygiene. We find it very offense and disgusting as you and most others do. No matter what they are wearing. I respect your opinion but just out of curiosity, who should be asking someone with poor personal hygiene to leave? I wouldn't say anything to the stinky person if they were at our table. We would politely ask the headwaiter to move us to another table. Hopefully far away.

Edited by davekathy

So guess what? Appearance matters, and when you are gently requested to turn up your sartorial game and you respond with something Luke Duke would balk at, we who get it are appalled and generally want to run to the hills.

It's OK. I spend a lot of extra money to avoid you, but given the trends in the industry it is getting harder and harder. I'm not interested in your belly flops, your selfishness, or your boorish brood. What I am interested in is meeting interesting people and sharing lifetime experiences. When you show up in your shorts and ball cap though, all you are advertising is "I'm an idiot."

I guess what I'm hoping for is that some distinction between the lines remains. When this discussion becomes commonplace on other forums I'll know it's time to pull the rip cord on this whole crusing thing.

Sooo totally agree!(y)

Clientele attire without question plays a role in ambiance. I always follow the attire suggestions and most of the time consider them a bare minimum. If I wanted to wear less than what is suggested I would find a vacation that suggested something closer to what I was looking for rather than justifying why I chose to not adhere to the suggestions. Thats just me though.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I do wonder why the cruise lines bother with having dress codes but don't bother enforcing them. It seems like they are trying to appeal to both sides of the argument while not actually pleasing either.

Enforce the codes or just say all naughty bits must be covered and you must not be still wet from the pool and be done with it.

Sorry sitting on a wet chair WILL ruin my dinner. I don't like having a wet butt especially if it's someone else's wet! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The whole shorts thing gets beaten to death all the time.

As an long-time cruiser from the good old days, I don't have a problem with "dress shorts" if there is such a thing. Do I think long pants and a collared shirt look better in the MDR, absolutely, but I am willing to move with the times.

What I do have a problem with is the number of people who don't know the difference between dress or walking shorts, or whatever they are called where you live, and athletic shorts, such as Nike basketball or soccer-style shorts.

A while back we were early for dinner and watched a group of young men, not teens, playing basketball. When seated at dinner this same group in their sweat-ringed shirts and athletic shorts, one even had a towel around his neck, showed up. The whole area of the dining room smelled. Their wives/girlfriends were nicely dressed ..... Couldn't figure out why they didn't shower and change.

Those are the passengers that spoil it for the cleaned up dress shorts wearing folk. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who dress that way and come back from a day at the beach to the dining room.

What do you think about the stench of smoke on ones person? Does that not bother you as well. To us, that is one of the most nauseating smells.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cuervosar, I LOVE your post and hope we meet on a cruise someday. I think our families would get along famously.

See my comments in red for this other post:

I live in Palm Beach County Florida; unless a restaurant wants to be out of business in 2 weeks, they allow shorts. I'm sure some high end, expensive establishments do not, but they would be insulted being compared to a cruise ship main dining room, and I don't go to them anyways. Between Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami, we have some of the best chefs and restaurants in the world. At many of them resort casual is the order of the day, and yes that means shorts. Sometimes I wear pants to dinner (mainly in winter). Summer, never.

As to you having to go to specialty because of people like me; specialty dining on RCI is always smart casual. They do not follow formal dress code. If formal is your thing, the MDR is your best bet. I'm glad you remember all of the special touches that the cruise line did to make dining a memorable experience, and why so many people can remember it 10, 20, 30 + years later. Is today's MDR experience memorable? Ehhhh.

Why am I against pants? I'm not. Except there are times I've been very hot and uncomfortable in the MDR. If I am just going to change after dinner, and no one can really see anything about me from the chest down, why should I do something for two hours a day I don't enjoy? I'd never dream to ask you to be uncomfortable for part of your vacation just because a stranger might see you for 90 seconds. I bring them on vacation, if I want to wear them I will, if not, I don't. I've got some tan and black slacks I bring; wear 'em with a polo. That's as good as it's going to get. Write a letter to RCI and tell them you pay more than ever while they provide less. See if they blame iton me not wearing a suit.

I think you would have a fight on your hands if you said that to many new cruisers. :D Formal Evenings is sooo 30's? PAXs in their 70's and above are dying, being replaced by the younger casual attitude and dress PAX? Casual not formal dinning dress code. It's the future for survival of cruise lines, you think?

Enjoy your cruise.

And if God wills, grant you good health, that you live and not die before your next cruise.

I only read that once, but I'm chalking it up to one on my side. Cheerio

Looking at a recent Cruise Compass from Adventure, it clearly states in the dining section of every day "Shorts not permitted in the dining room at dinner". You may not get "flak" but...you could get turned away depending on who is at the door. Why risk it?

The Cruise Compass also says, "Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion:"...

Again....these are two different issues.

First:

"Dress suggestion" is for "type of dress" (formal, casipual, smart casua) a guidance on how you should dress and how you should anticipate your fellow pax will dress that evening.

Second:

"Rule"

"No shorts permitted in the dining room at dinner"

"Type of dress" is a "suggestion".

"Not permitted" = rule

I live in Palm Beach County Florida; unless a restaurant wants to be out of business in 2 weeks, they allow shorts. I'm sure some high end, expensive establishments do not, but they would be insulted being compared to a cruise ship main dining room, and I don't go to them anyways. Between Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami, we have some of the best chefs and restaurants in the world. At many of them resort casual is the order of the day, and yes that means shorts. Sometimes I wear pants to dinner (mainly in winter). Summer, never.

As to you having to go to specialty because of people like me; specialty dining on RCI is always smart casual. They do not follow formal dress code. If formal is your thing, the MDR is your best bet. I'm glad you remember all of the special touches that the cruise line did to make dining a memorable experience, and why so many people can remember it 10, 20, 30 + years later. Is today's MDR experience memorable? Ehhhh.

Why am I against pants? I'm not. Except there are times I've been very hot and uncomfortable in the MDR. If I am just going to change after dinner, and no one can really see anything about me from the chest down, why should I do something for two hours a day I don't enjoy? I'd never dream to ask you to be uncomfortable for part of your vacation just because a stranger might see you for 90 seconds. I bring them on vacation, if I want to wear them I will, if not, I don't. I've got some tan and black slacks I bring; wear 'em with a polo. That's as good as it's going to get. Write a letter to RCI and tell them you pay more than ever while they provide less. See if they blame iton me not wearing a suit.

Shorts are also quite acceptable at most restaurants in our area. Shorts are acceptable at our church!

You can't compare restaurants that don't have a "no shorts policy" to the dining room that does have a "no shorts policy".

IF RC ever removes the "no shorts" language from The Compass....then it should be perfectly acceptable to wear shorts in the evening. However, as long as the daily Compass (distributed to each cabin the evening before!) states "no shorts allowed" then the pax should abide by the rules.

If you go by the theory: "my vacation", "my comfort", etc even when doing something published as "not permitted", "prohibited", "not acceptable"....then the folks wanting to "save " 22 chairs at the pool at 8:00 am or 22 seats in the theatre should also be "just fine" as it is their vacation, they are comfortable with it, they have already paid for those chairs/seats, etc.

If you go by the theory: "my vacation", "my comfort", etc even when doing something published as "not permitted", "prohibited", "not acceptable"....then the folks wanting to "save " 22 chairs at the pool at 8:00 am or 22 seats in the theatre should also be "just fine" as it is their vacation, they are comfortable with it, they have already paid for those chairs/seats, etc.

Last I saw stealing was also against the rules. Therefore if you are pro-shorts you are pro-stealing!

There is a distinct difference between an action which affect only the person (wearing the shorts) and a person restricting others access to a good (the chairs).

Again....these are two different issues.

First:

"Dress suggestion" is for "type of dress" (formal, casipual, smart casua) a guidance on how you should dress and how you should anticipate your fellow pax will dress that evening.

Second:

"Rule"

"No shorts permitted in the dining room at dinner"

"Type of dress" is a "suggestion".

"Not permitted" = rule

That's why I said (pointing out) "The Cruise Compass also says..."