Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

So basically you want the nice features of the better cruise lines with the rules (or no rules at all) of a completely casual cruise line. When they invent that cruise line let me know.😀

How about a cruise line where someone like me says "I don't wear shorts in the MDR at dinner, but I really don't give a damn if the person next to me does because it has no bearing whatsoever on whether I enjoy my cruise."

How about a cruise line where someone like me says "I don't wear shorts in the MDR at dinner, but I really don't give a damn if the person next to me does because it has no bearing whatsoever on whether I enjoy my cruise."

Well said and I totally agree. I love to wear formal wear at dinner and I do. I could not tell you what the people at the next table are wearing. I have to admit that the one thing that bothered me on my last RCCL cruise was the family that stuffed the kids IPads in their face as soon as they sat down but again, that is their business not mine.

That sounds like most of the American cruise lines.

Except for formal night people should feel free to dress whatever way they want.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Well said and I totally agree. I love to wear formal wear at dinner and I do. I could not tell you what the people at the next table are wearing. I have to admit that the one thing that bothered me on my last RCCL cruise was the family that stuffed the kids IPads in their face as soon as they sat down but again, that is their business not mine.

I couldn't tell you what i was yesterday lol.

My wife has a mastermind memory for clothes.

I wore my dressy speedo and dressy sleeveless t-shirt and dressy flip-flops.

Nobody said anything so it must be okay.

I kid.

The bottom line is that, if I feel like I have to ask others for permission, the answer is NO. I make my own decisions but I ALWAYS error on the side of dressing nice and I have never have an issue. Its not about ME, its about others. I stay well away from the gray area of the dress code.

So basically you want the nice features of the better cruise lines with the rules (or no rules at all) of a completely casual cruise line. When they invent that cruise line let me know.😀

I'd just like to wear nice, clean, non-athletic type shorts to dinner when I go on a Caribbean cruise.

People would have a stress free cruise if they had the same attitude rather than getting all judgemental about what other people were wearing which is not their business.

Let's remove the friction point and not even make it an area of concern for dining room staff.

Let's remove the friction point and not even make it an area of concern for dining room staff.

The maitre d on Freedom in June said they could not stop people wearing shorts in MTD so no concern for the dining room staff but when people are in the restaurant you wouldn't know anyway they were wearing shorts but really should not be a problem.

Goodness....so many posts on this thread and y'all still thinking people are judging on what you wear! :DNope....the judgement is because you aren't following the "not permitted" language in the Compass! Sail on a ship that doesn't list "not permitted" and voila...everyone is happy and no need to judge you on "breaking the rules". :D

Scenario:

You just returned from a Shore Excursion late from a hot Mediterranean Destination and you just got back 5 minutes before your dining time and you have on shorts and a nice shirt what could they say? Its better to show up on time and not delay your fellow diners and please don't say there is the Windjammer. I paid and I should be served so as long as I look presentable.

Another discussion topic should Port Days be MTD only? Or should he entire ship be MTD only? And on those nights don't do a theater show but instead have acts going on throughout the night in the venue. A better itinerary would be Port Day Sea Day Port day etc.

Now I can see on formal night not wearing shorts granted that is a given.

I think Royal Caribbean should allow nice shorts and a short sleeve polo shirt in the MDR for dinner. If I can go to most restaurants like this why can't Royal be the same? If you are on Cunard fine that is the norm but Royal can be laid back.

Now who is going to care after a long day in Rome coming back tired and hungry. 1000 others would be in the same position and should not care about how others dress. As long as they are decent and not smelling like they were in a hot sauna then fine.

I don't give a damn if my fellow dining mates are wearing nice shorts and a polo shirt. Wow is this the least thing you can complain about?

Also Formal Nights are on sea days because you have time to get ready and get your hair done etc.

After coming in from port the last thing I want to do is go and change especially if there was traffic comming in from port and the excursion arrived late.

What says you? I think on Port Days shorts in the evening and a short sleeve polo shirt should not be an issue.

If it bother's you what someone wear's...choose not to look.

Just like the couple next to you who has special religious dietary restrictions sitting next to someone who does not conform to the same restrictions. Its none of your business and just keep the comments to yourself:hearteyes:

What if she put you out shorts for MDR dinner.??;p

LOL i wear all my shorts and Polo shirts​ during the day on the ship.

Pauline has a different cocktail dress on every night so makes sure i am smartly dressed for dinner so i don't show her up.

When we are on holiday in the sun staying in hotels i usually wear tailored shorts every night as we tend to dine al fresco.

Goodness....so many posts on this thread and y'all still thinking people are judging on what you wear! :DNope....the judgement is because you aren't following the "not permitted" language in the Compass! Sail on a ship that doesn't list "not permitted" and voila...everyone is happy and no need to judge you on "breaking the rules". :D

Thank you. That's exactly the point I've been trying to make. Why do some people feel like the rules don't apply to them? It's getting like this everywhere, not just cruises. Not permitted is just that. Not permitted. It doesn't say "except if YOU think you look ok."

Thank you. That's exactly the point I've been trying to make. Why do some people feel like the rules don't apply to them? It's getting like this everywhere, not just cruises. Not permitted is just that. Not permitted. It doesn't say "except if YOU think you look ok."

I feel sorry for the person in front of you in the grocery store with 11 items in the 10 items or less express lane.

I feel sorry for the person in front of you in the grocery store with 11 items in the 10 items or less express lane.

Because they will, and SHOULD, be embarrassed?

Watched a person in the express line at Target yesterday (last minute cruise stuff), with at least 20 items in the 10 or less line. Where is the cut off? 11? 15? 20? 50? Or maybe TEN, like the sign says.