Just off Crown Princess yesterday - fab!

Belfast Belle

Hi

Very quick message. 7 days to to Norway. Sadly missed our first stop on Stavanger as a medical emergency required the ship to return to Dover early Sunday morning and the time could not be made up. These things happen. Cruise in my opinion was faultless. Preferred it to Ventura last year. Will post a review when I get a chance. Norway just stunning! And very good and unexpected weather helped make a memorable family holiday. Had read some posts that Crown was looking shabby. ..I thought she was looking very well.

So jealous of those off to the Baltic yesterday. Will definitely book Princess again.:)

We got off Crown Princess as you got on and we did not have any issues with regards to the ship and did not think she looked shabby enjoyed the entertainment and the food in MDR but thought the food and choice in buffet at lunchtimes very repetitive and poor and the service was very poor compared to all our other cruises on Princess. When you walked in on previous cruises spaces on tables were set out with napkin and cutlery and soon as you sat down a waiter would ask if you wanted lemonade, tea or coffee and then a waiter would come around with a trolley asking if you wanted alcoholic drinks. This time tables were left with dirty plates from previous diners and you had to either clean them yourself or ask a waiter, not once in the whole cruise were we asked if we would like lemonade, tea or coffee and there was not drinks trolley except for one going around selling only irish coffee. I ended up going to the bar myself by the pools on more than one occasion to get a drink. As a final thought don't know whether it was an idea just for British cruisers but to have battered fish on every day was taking it a little bit too far and the one day they had a curry the only choice to go with it was pasta, mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes not a grain of rice in sight.

Hi

Very quick message. 7 days to to Norway. Sadly missed our first stop on Stavanger as a medical emergency required the ship to return to Dover early Sunday morning and the time could not be made up. These things happen. Cruise in my opinion was faultless. Preferred it to Ventura last year. Will post a review when I get a chance. Norway just stunning! And very good and unexpected weather helped make a memorable family holiday. Had read some posts that Crown was looking shabby. ..I thought she was looking very well.

So jealous of those off to the Baltic yesterday. Will definitely book Princess again.:)

Was this your first cruise on Princess?

We got off Crown Princess as you got on and we did not have any issues with regards to the ship and did not think she looked shabby enjoyed the entertainment and the food in MDR but thought the food and choice in buffet at lunchtimes very repetitive and poor and the service was very poor compared to all our other cruises on Princess. When you walked in on previous cruises spaces on tables were set out with napkin and cutlery and soon as you sat down a waiter would ask if you wanted lemonade, tea or coffee and then a waiter would come around with a trolley asking if you wanted alcoholic drinks. This time tables were left with dirty plates from previous diners and you had to either clean them yourself or ask a waiter, not once in the whole cruise were we asked if we would like lemonade, tea or coffee and there was not drinks trolley except for one going around selling only irish coffee. I ended up going to the bar myself by the pools on more than one occasion to get a drink. As a final thought don't know whether it was an idea just for British cruisers but to have battered fish on every day was taking it a little bit too far and the one day they had a curry the only choice to go with it was pasta, mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes not a grain of rice in sight.

Totally agree - I also got off yesterday & really enjoyed the ports & the weather was certainly fabulous. Ship was in good condition but food in dining & buffet very poor as was the service. We were anytime dining & on 2 occasions made to feel unwelcome by the unorganised shambles that we encountered - we gave up & went to the buffet instead. Crew looked uninterested at times & seemed under staffed as well. We have another 3 princess cruises booked but after spending the last 3 on Celebrity ships this is now our preferred option so will cancel those tomorrow. I am also elite so am in a position to compare both lines but unfortunately Princess seems to have made noticeable cut backs on our last 4 cruises with them.

I was off the Crown July 1st and this was my finding as well. Not one strawberry on the ship that I could find (And it is strawberry season) Are they phasing out Cafe Caribe? as it was closed about 95% of the time on my cruise. Food experience on Princess has become very dismal. MDR traditional was just OK. Awful old bed matresses seemed to be an issue for some guests. The british entertainment not my thing, sorry. :( The positive thing about the Crown on my cruise was Duke, the CD and the entertainment team. I am elite, but sadly I will be looking elsewhere now for cruises. In fact, I just completed a 2018 Baltic cruise booking on the HAL Koningsdam, a very lovely ship I sailed on last year. Hopefully Princess will hit bottom soon and then rebound to something close to what it once was.

BTW!!! Norway was absolutely wonderful, loved it and will return.

Hi

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Will be doing the same itinerary next year

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We were on the Crown for the 14 day Norway Summer Solstice cruise disembarking last Saturday. We made all ports and had wonderful weather and seas.

We found the ship to be in good condition.

Food was hit or miss. They tried to accommodate the majority of passengers with British, Asian, Indian and American food on the buffet. However the buffet is not large enough for all the selections, so choices seemed limited. The Royal class ships have much larger buffets and can offer many more selections. The dining room was fine once our group found excellent servers and stuck with them.

Norway's fiords are phenomenal and we highly recommend this itinerary.

For those above who are swearing off Princess...I don't think it's Princess, it's the Crown.

There's something wrong with the higher ups on that ship, they're not keeping tabs like they should.

If that's the case, I sure hope Princess gets busy making it right. Seems to me that in this business, even the perception of a problem is a problem.

I, too, am glad to see the OP had a great cruise. But it worries me to see the same complaints coming regularly about this ship.

Jim

Well I don't think I'm particularly easily pleased but maybe I am! Have to say we were always offered drinks/tea in the buffet. Thought the MDR food was very good as did anyone we shared with (anytime dining). I think twice we were moved from Da Vinci's to Michaelangelo (I think) and I did prefer Da Vincis felt a little like an annoyance perhaps they thought they were missing their 'regular' guests. who knows. Other than that the only thing I could fault was the movie choices which were dire. We are a family with 2 boys 13 and 22 and believe me it's difficult to find a holiday that suits everyone but this ticked all the boxes. Fully intend to try other cruise lines in the future and perhaps I will change my opinion at that stage. For now we had a very good deal for 7 night cruise for 4 in July ( school hols in NI). I'm very happy with that value for money.

Happly cruising all:cool:

Well I don't think I'm particularly easily pleased but maybe I am! Have to say we were always offered drinks/tea in the buffet. Thought the MDR food was very good as did anyone we shared with (anytime dining). I think twice we were moved from Da Vinci's to Michaelangelo (I think) and I did prefer Da Vincis felt a little like an annoyance perhaps they thought they were missing their 'regular' guests. who knows. Other than that the only thing I could fault was the movie choices which were dire. We are a family with 2 boys 13 and 22 and believe me it's difficult to find a holiday that suits everyone but this ticked all the boxes. Fully intend to try other cruise lines in the future and perhaps I will change my opinion at that stage. For now we had a very good deal for 7 night cruise for 4 in July ( school hols in NI). I'm very happy with that value for money.

Happly cruising all:cool:

Was this your first cruise on a Princess ship?

For those above who are swearing off Princess...I don't think it's Princess, it's the Crown.

There's something wrong with the higher ups on that ship, they're not keeping tabs like they should.

Having been on Crown recently for the last Transatlantic and found it very lacking I wonder what is wrong?

I have been on every Princess ship in the last 20 odd years except Dawn and Sun and the Crown is easily the worst by a long way.

Crew were disinterested and unresponsive, said "no we haven't got that" rather than go look for something which is normally on every Princess ship, , and in every instance we later found it was available on the ship but crew couldn't be bothered.

Food in the buffet was the same dish every day until it was eaten, and a poor selection, entertainment was a different CD to Duke and he and almost his whole crew were hopeless and lazy.

Crown is a bad advert for Princess.

If a recent passenger found it OK then either they don't know how good Princess normally is, or maybe was?, or they aren't very picky or they got such a cheap deal they don't care.

We have been on the Crown several times and would concur the cutbacks are noticeable. It's the kind of things that may not get noticed if you have never cruised before. Missing menu items, lack of buffet variety, "poor" service / left plates / get your beverages, Crown Grill beef quality. No show stoppers but if you have cruised before you see the cutbacks.

We were fortunate enough to do a B2B, 1st leg on Princess and then Norwegian. The comparisons were inevitable all the way down to the TP each used. Each had strong points and weakness in some areas. It's very much to each his own. Some might find something important while others could care less. If you are thinking of ditching Princess do a B2B with the competitor of your choice if you are able, it was very eye opening. The bowling alley on Norwegian was a hoot but again, some could likely care less.

Having been on Crown recently for the last Transatlantic and found it very lacking I wonder what is wrong?

I have been on every Princess ship in the last 20 odd years except Dawn and Sun and the Crown is easily the worst by a long way.

Crew were disinterested and unresponsive, said "no we haven't got that" rather than go look for something which is normally on every Princess ship, , and in every instance we later found it was available on the ship but crew couldn't be bothered.

Food in the buffet was the same dish every day until it was eaten, and a poor selection, entertainment was a different CD to Duke and he and almost his whole crew were hopeless and lazy.

Crown is a bad advert for Princess.

If a recent passenger found it OK then either they don't know how good Princess normally is, or maybe was?, or they aren't very picky or they got such a cheap deal they don't care.

Firstly yes it was my first cruise with Princess so no perhaps I don't know how it used to be. Having said that im no pushover! I said I got a good deal , I didn't say cheap buy either way had we felt we hadn't had good service we would have no problem complaining but only when it's due and not for anything trivial.

I find Cruise Critic invaluable for the hints and tips I've picked up but as a relatively new cruiser (2nd cruise) reading some of these comments I now feel some think I'm not worthy!

I stand by my opinion.

Off to research cruise no3!!

Firstly yes it was my first cruise with Princess so no perhaps I don't know how it used to be. Having said that im no pushover! I said I got a good deal , I didn't say cheap buy either way had we felt we hadn't had good service we would have no problem complaining but only when it's due and not for anything trivial.

I find Cruise Critic invaluable for the hints and tips I've picked up but as a relatively new cruiser (2nd cruise) reading some of these comments I now feel some think I'm not worthy!

I stand by my opinion.

Off to research cruise no3!!

Indeed stand by your opinion, no one quite as opinionated as someone from Belfast, I should know, my family come from the Ardoyne.

Look on the bright side, whatever Princess ship you next cruise on will be better than Crown!

I like cheap last minute cruises, apart from anything else it stops me being so picky about things as when I pay top dollar.

Belfast Belle, thanks for a very informative original post and your follow up responses have been spot on!

we would sure like to have you and your family as table mates at dinner!

Hi

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.....:):):)

Bob

We took a 15 day cruise to Hawaii last October on the Crown (cruise #4 with Princess). We felt that it was our least favorite cruise experience due to attitude from the crew. We know things happen but it was obvious there was a shortage of personnel.

When I have to get up twice to refill my own coffee in Horizon court while they (servers) stand their chit chatting away, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth (and I'm not talking about the so so coffee). :rolleyes: It use to be they would walk around and see if you needed more juice, coffee and clear off dirty plates. Has the rules changed?

We love Princess, it's sad to hear that some improvements in the representatives of the company (the crew) has not changed on this ship. We most likely will not ever sail on the Crown again.

We were on the Crown Princess for 31 days last winter and the wait staff in the traditional dining room, Adagio's and Vines were the best we've had on about 20 Princess cruises. We also thought the food in the MDR was very good to excellent. Not once in 31 days did we eat any meals in the Horizon Court so I can't speak to that. I will say that our steward was no firing on all cylinders. He was about to retire after 37! years on Princess and its predecessors so we cut him some slack :D.