Help Picking next Uniworld River Cruise

TikiIslandGirl

Hello, I returned from my very first river cruise in May and now I'm hooked!!! I took my mother and did the Uniworld Jewish Heritage on the River Ambassador and had the best vacation ever. So, I have 6 vacation days that need to be used so I decided why not another river cruise. :D So, my husband has zero interest in river cruises and traveling in general (except he want's to go to Antarctica)-my mom can't leave my dad again-who also doesn't have any interest in going either- and none of my friends can go (or won't without their spouse)-so I'm going solo!!! I have narrowed it down to 3 itinerary's. I know the ones in France don't do a lot of sailing but perfectly fine with that. I love doing all of the tours and walking and seeing the sights and just love exploing new places. And of course drinking wine ;) Since I'll be traveling solo and have only the 6 days I'm not doing any pre or post stays except I will leave the US on a Friday and stay overnight before the cruise and fly back over the day the cruise ends.

So here are the 3 cruises that I have narrowed down. I have read reviews and posts but would like some input before I can decide. They are all about the same price so anyone would work. All help is appreciated.

All leaving on 10/29/17

Uniworld SS Antoinette 7 day Basal to Amsterdam

Uniworld River Royale 7 day Bordeaux to Bordeaux

Uniworld SS Catherine Lyon, France to Avignon, France

Thanks!!!

We've done 3 Uniworld cruises - Budapest to Amsterdam, the Seine and the Rhone - so I can only give you my opinion of the Rhone cruise on the SS Catherine, our first Uniworld super ship with an itinerary that had all new ports for us. It was wonderful and I don't hesitate to recommend it: lovely countryside, beautiful villages, exquisite wines and food, and a fantastic ship (we got especially spoiled and now wish that we would always sail on a super ship) staffed by the usual wonderful Uniworld crew. If you are particularly lucky, Thierry may be your cruise director (last year he alternated with the Seine cruise and since we were on a back to back we had him for the entire 14 days) - he is a fountain of knowledge and a true gentleman.

Thanks Capriccio-I'm leaning towards either the Bordeaux or Burgandy/Provence.My mother isn't as interested in France as much as other places so I was thinking I would leave the Rhine to when she could go. I also really want to spend a few days in Switzerland and wouldn't be able to this trip. The super ship is the reason I'm having trouble deciding. I sailed the River Ambassador-which is a perfectly fine ship-but the SS in intriguing over the older River Royal. Hmmm decisions decisions

I have done three Uniworld cruises, including one on the Ambassador, the Baroness's sister ship. Most recently, we sailed on the Antoinette.....a HUGE step up. I definitely see your reasoning for postponing the Rhine. It has been our favorite, overall, to date. Therefore, I would probably choose the Catherine. That itinerary is on our list in the future, as well.

Robin

The price difference is only $140 more for the SS Catherine vs River Royal so that might sway me to towards the SS. So, if anyone has down both or one over the other (Bordeaux vs Burgundy/Provence) chim in!!! It's a little easier for me to get to and from Bordeaux but I could make the other one work out. So, is one region more interesting over the other? I don't want to base my decision over the ship alone.

With River Royale and SS Antoinette you would wind up in a larger stateroom as the Catherine has solo staterooms.

We did the SS Antoinette Amsterdam to Basel ( just the opposite of what you are planning) and it was absolutely wonderful in every way and the food and included wine was great! In France and Germany there were wine tasting opportunities. If you do this, definitely go to Schloss Vollrads for wine tasting -it was offered as an optional excursion in Germany - read this amazing story about how wine pairing dinners started there and this is also when Rhine wines were saved from essentially extinction - it's just incredible! I went on this cruise never dreaming I would have the opportunity to go to this place, but I had been studying wine since the 1980's and had read all about Count Matushka-Grieffenclau many years before. I was so thrilled to go to Count Matushka's fabled family home and tour it and experience wine tasting from his vineyard. I never dreamed I would have the opportunity to go there. It was absolutely magical.

http://www.robert-temple.com/nostalgia/count_matuschka2.html

This occurred on the same day where you cruise the castles along the Rhine and the chef puts on an Octoberfest on the top deck - it is just fantastic.

There was another day in France, where we went to this charming small village with lots of wine tasting and stork nests on top of the houses - and nestlings in the nests!

I cannot think of anything that Uniworld could have done better with this cruise, just one of the best vacations of our lives!

I would also think the cruise on the Catherine would be AMAZING! I have not done it yet, but I'm sure it is miraculous!

I'm also really interested the cruise on the Maria Theresa on the Danube - the ship is just a wow and I can only imagine that Uniworld does it up BIG! And these supposedly have special things that they are doing this year specifically.

The River Royale Bordeaux cruise also looks amazing.

I think you are just spoiled for choice and it's going to be really hard to make a decision here! I'm certain of one thing, though, whichever cruise you choose is going to be absolutely wonderful!

I would lean towards one of the France itineraries this time, probably Lyon to Avignon...Lyon is a wonderful food city and a great place to spend an extra night or two if you have time. If you later want to see Switzerland on another cruise with your mom then start in Amsterdam and end in Basel but do consider doing it on a Rhine and Moselle cruise. The Moselle is the most beautiful river in Europe and the Alsatian Rieslings are fantastic. Uniworld does that itinerary.

The Rhone itinerary is great and SS Catherine is a beautiful ship. I'd go again. Love the Rhone stops, and there is a ton to do there. Full review with pictures in my signature if you want more details.

Our friends who did Bordeaux were less thrilled with that itinerary - as a river cruise. Less cruising, more bus trips - they said.

So I'd choose the Rhone and save Bordeaux for a land-based trip. JMO.

Thanks everyone for all of your input!!! And thanks JPalbny for that wonderful review of the Rhone uniworld SS Catherine. I think I'm really leaning towards the Rhone. Avignon to Lyon would work better for flights than the reverse so I'm going to see prices for the week before.

SuiteTravler-I just looked at prices for the Munich, Germany to Budapest, Hungary - S.S. Maria Theresa on 10/29/17-it looks like the same price as the other 3 that I was contemplating but don't have a official quote from the TA so that is a possibility also :confused:

On balance I think I would go with the itinerary furthest south. The Rhone I am sure is very nice in October, The Danube can be a bit chilly by then. Bordeaux is supposed to be a great city (have not been), but as others have said there is less cruising more bussing. Burgundy is a great place from where to start a cruise down the Rhone (you have to get to the Rhone on a coach first as you know). I enjoyed middle of October in that area and adore the Roman history places, Avignon isn't too bad either.

Tough choice. :D

notamermaid

The difference will not be that great as regards temperatures, agreed. End of October gets close to frost occurring at night depending on where you are along the Danube. First encounter of snow at the beginning of November is possible in the higher regions of Bavaria. At that time of year I would not go to a German or Austrian landscape (city tour always accepted) as they can be a bit boring I find after having lost most of its foliage. But Budapest I imagine is a great place any time of year, I would love to see it again.

notamermaid

We will be cruising the end of August Uniworld River Queen 5th river cruise. Everyone always ask "which itinerary did you prefer".? Our first river cruise was AMA Danube itinerary. Loved it but we were disappointed with food and now cruise with Uniworld..I think my favorite was Burgundy and Provence and also second Castles on the Rhine. They were both SS ships on Uniworld. The SS Antoinette had a gorgeous indoor pool which we never had an opportunity to use.. too busy.. The cruise in August Rhine and Moselle is on an older ship and we aren't concerned we care more about the itinerary..

The Rhone itinerary is great and SS Catherine is a beautiful ship. I'd go again. Love the Rhone stops, and there is a ton to do there. Full review with pictures in my signature if you want more details.

Our friends who did Bordeaux were less thrilled with that itinerary - as a river cruise. Less cruising, more bus trips - they said.

So I'd choose the Rhone and save Bordeaux for a land-based trip. JMO.

The Rhone is my all time favorite river cruise itinerary and we have done it twice, once on the Catherine and once on AmaDagio. Enjoyed both but preferred food, entertainment and wealth of included excursions on AMA.

We have also done Bordeaux (Scenic) and the itinerary was not a favorite. We loved the city of Bordeaux and spent 4 lovely days there and we enjoyed a few of the ports. But for us, too many bus rides, too little overnights in interesting places and overall not near as much to experience as on the Rhone.

I personally would not sail on any other than an SS ship with Uniworld.