Breakfast in MDR vs Windjammer?

We will be sailing on the Explorer of the Seas at the end of August to Juneau, Skagway, & Victoria. I've heard the Winjammer is particularly crowded for breakfast (& lunch) on Alaskan cruises for some reason? I've always dined in Windjammer for non-dinner meals on RCCL and have dealt fine with the crowds and food selection there but I'm wondering what the difference or benefit is to eating in the MDR for breakfast or lunch? More so breakfast than anything else.

It's just me and my husband traveling together and we don't tend to take a long time for breakfast or lunch.

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR is a combination of sit down menu and buffet. Breakfast buffet is usually cold items (though some ships have ht items too), such as fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc. The lunch buffet offers the Tutti salad, a salad bar with many choices.

Breakfast in the main dinning rooms has always been slow.

Not to mention that you have to rely on MDR staff to get refills on your beverages such as coffee, tea, etc. At least in the Windjammer you can get up and get your own refills, if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always eat all meals in the Windjammer and I did notice more people in the Windjammer at all meals on my Explorer sailing last month than what we usually see. Never had a problem finding a table though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We eat breakfast in the Windjammer most of the time. We like walking straight in, getting our food, and sitting by ourselves. We like the larger selection of foods in the buffet -- in particular I like the miso soup, which is only available in the buffet. We are not morning people, and we don't like to be social first thing in the morning, and it's easy to get a table by ourselves in the Windjammer. One negative: Sometimes I want a Diet Coke with my breakfast, and often the bar isn't yet open at breakfast.

Perhaps twice during a cruise we'll go to the MDR. It is more of a linger-and-chat-with-strangers experience, but it's better if you want a bread breakfast (pancakes or French toast, things which don't do well in a buffet). The choices are more limited in the MDR. Lots of people say they want to go to the MDR because it's the only place you can get Eggs Benedict, but we aren't particularly on that train. I make Eggs Benedict superbly well at home, and the ship's offerings pale in comparison (especially because food in the MDR isn't piping hot).

We appreciate both places for their strengths and are glad that we can choose each day.

We usually have breakfast in the MDR and insist on a table for 2 or 4 if we're traveling with friends. The hostess tries to discourage us but we're firm and our request is always accommodated. Sitting with strangers does drag out the time which we try to avoid in the morning.

We enjoy a HOT served breakfast. In the WJ, by the time we get to our table, the food is barely warm.

We've always done the MDR for breakfast. It's simply nicer, and more relaxed. You are shown to a table, your order is taken (and you can order whatever you want, in any combo you want) and it's served to you. All of the condiments will be on the table, so your pancakes don't get cold while you're waiting for 3 people in line to use the syrup....or searching for butter, or jam...

The foods are the same, but hot, if they're supposed to be hot!

We don't mind sitting with others...you can chat or not...up to you. You can request a smaller table, if you're really a loner.

For breakfast we eat wherever it is most convenient to eat. Getting off the ship, quick breakfast in the Windjammer. Slow Sea Day, than the MDR where it is relaxing and slow. Larger ships, have other alternate locations, such as Johnny Rockets on Oasis Class would be one of my favorites.

Larger ships, have other alternate locations, such as Johnny Rockets on Oasis Class would be one of my favorites.

Johnny Rockets has breakfast? I did not know this. What can we get there? I am assuming there is a fee?

Edited by Host Clarea

For breakfast we eat wherever it is most convenient to eat. Getting off the ship, quick breakfast in the Windjammer. Slow Sea Day, than the MDR where it is relaxing and slow. Larger ships, have other alternate locations, such as Johnny Rockets on Oasis Class would be one of my favorites.

Agreed, on the Allure and Oasis there is the little know Wipeout Cafe for breakfast and I think its called something else on Harmony and soon to be Symphony. (I forget the name, but will remember it after 2019.)

We've always done the MDR for breakfast. It's simply nicer, and more relaxed. You are shown to a table, your order is taken (and you can order whatever you want, in any combo you want) and it's served to you. All of the condiments will be on the table, so your pancakes don't get cold while you're waiting for 3 people in line to use the syrup....or searching for butter, or jam...

The foods are the same, but hot, if they're supposed to be hot!

We don't mind sitting with others...you can chat or not...up to you. You can request a smaller table, if you're really a loner.

Seeing as you always do MDR for breakfast, you would do best not to make assumptions about the WJ breakfast as you always comment on maple syrup and it is just not accurate. There is no waiting for syrup in the WJ either, the syrup is in individual serving containers right with the pancakes. All the condiments in the WJ are either with the items that need the condiment or under a very large sign that says "CONDIMENTS".

Seeing as you always do MDR for breakfast, you would do best not to make assumptions about the WJ breakfast as you always comment on maple syrup and it is just not accurate. There is no waiting for syrup in the WJ either, the syrup is in individual serving containers right with the pancakes. All the condiments in the WJ are either with the items that need the condiment or under a very large sign that says "CONDIMENTS".

It's always comical. LOL

Johnny Rockets has breakfast? I did not know this. What can we get there? I am assuming there is a fee?

For breakfast there is not, and it is a an enjoyable meal. I have a made to order omlette and homefries. Wife an over easy egg with toast.