UPDATE: Azamara Journey October 2018 sailings

tromvest

#4. They made the changes over a year in advance which was a positive since there weren't flights to deal with. Also most people don't book trips over a year in advance(we have to be honest that most people aren't like us compulsive travel planners that hang out on CC).

I quibble slightly with this point because Azamara strongly encourages booking more than a year in advance with extra OBC. We met people on our cruise that booked two years in advance because of the double cabin category upgrade Azamara offered at that time.

I would be very frustrated if I were impacted by these changes, and I hope all those affected can make satisfactory arrangements.

I wonder, does travel insurance cover something like this?

I quibble slightly with this point because Azamara strongly encourages booking more than a year in advance with extra OBC. We met people on our cruise that booked two years in advance because of the double cabin category upgrade Azamara offered at that time.

I would be very frustrated if I were impacted by these changes, and I hope all those affected can make satisfactory arrangements.

I wonder, does travel insurance cover something like this?

Sure travel insurance doesn't cover anything like this especially since the cruise line is willing to do a 100% refund. Nothing else to get back. By the way, our TA forgot to include a $500 offer for any air or hotel charges in her cut and paste of the Azamara letter so they covered that eventuality even though now is more than a year prior to the affected cruises and flights are only available 330 days out. Pretty much the same with hotels.

The issue is for those who cannot do the replacement cruise on the face of it, they are going to be out of pocket from where they were going to be as they try and find a new cruise. They had booking perks, OBC etc that they are going to lose. No insurance is going to cover that.

I think most people would be happy if Azamara communicated better with travel agents and their customers and offered deals or at least restored their customers to the position they were in before Azamara changed itineraries. When we were impacted last year, I was furious. We are now booking two years out for October 2019. If something like this comes up again and it's not handled well, that will be it for us with Azamara. They need to do better.

It sure wouldn't hurt for your TA's to contact Azamara and negotiate for your perks to roll over to whatever cruise you land on.

Many in the UK are direct bookers and so are having to handle this themselves. UK Travel Agents do not operate like US agents which is why there is much more direct booking

This may be of help to those customers in the UK who have been affected by this:

Look at Azamara UK T&C's item 5.5b which states that customers have to be offered an alternative cruise of equal or higher standard at no extra cost. This is not Azamara being generous but a requirement of UK legislation namely The Package Tour Regulations 1992 (Para. 13.2(b)), so this offer has to be made under UK law. These regulations are one of the main reasons that we have non refundable deposits.

Does that mean I could trade my 17 night TA (solo rate) for a 16 night New Zealand??? That would be a win!

Just found 2 more glaring errors by Azamara. Seems a friend who was on the original TA with us wanted our Suite for the revised Lisbon TA. She said yesterday the suite wasn't available which would be expected as would expect Azamara to maintain all of the original cabin/suite bookings until the occupants had made a determination if they were going to take the revised TA.

Got a message from her today that our suite on the revised TA was available and since we most likely won't be taking the revised would we mind if she took it over. We have the same TA. Was shocked to say the least that it wasn't protected until we officially cancelled so decided to see what was on the web site. Looked at N2's as now impossible to change once in the booking cylcle and appeared all suites from 8060 to the stern were available so they weren't picking on us, Azamara was picking on everyone and seemingly not protecting any of the original bookers on the new TA. How horrible is that??

Then noted that at least on line bookings are now open when the letter to the TA clearly stated booking would open at 2 PM EDT today. Another failing to follow the letter they themselves wrote or did any management see and review the letter. I think not.

The least Azamara owes those of us who booked in good faith and know about the issues as well as the many hundreds or thousands who haven't even been notified a correct notification with reasonable compensation for this horrid mess they and only they created.

Just found 2 more glaring errors by Azamara. Seems a friend who was on the original TA with us wanted our Suite for the revised Lisbon TA. She said yesterday the suite wasn't available which would be expected as would expect Azamara to maintain all of the original cabin/suite bookings until the occupants had made a determination if they were going to take the revised TA.

Got a message from her today that our suite on the revised TA was available and since we most likely won't be taking the revised would we mind if she took it over. We have the same TA. Was shocked to say the least that it wasn't protected until we officially cancelled so decided to see what was on the web site. Looked at N2's as now impossible to change once in the booking cylcle and appeared all suites from 8060 to the stern were available so they weren't picking on us, Azamara was picking on everyone and seemingly not protecting any of the original bookers on the new TA. How horrible is that??

Then noted that at least on line bookings are now open when the letter to the TA clearly stated booking would open at 2 PM EDT today. Another failing to follow the letter they themselves wrote or did any management see and review the letter. I think not.

The least Azamara owes those of us who booked in good faith and know about the issues as well as the many hundreds or thousands who haven't even been notified a correct notification with reasonable compensation for this horrid mess they and only they created.

You are correct Our stateroom is available to book on the transatlantic and we have only just received our options letter and could be considering continuing with our booking. This is not on, all these rooms should have been protected until 31 August

You are correct Our stateroom is available to book on the transatlantic and we have only just received our options letter so could well still be considering continuing with our booking. This is not on, all these rooms should have been protected until 31 August

Actually the letter to our TA had absolutely no limitation on how long we had to make up our mind so technically the cabins/suites should be held until sailing. That said, know that was a ridiculous statement however with the letter being completely open ended with absolutely no date or number of days to decide it is accurate due to another failing in the writing of the letter. Everybody see how messed up this entire process has and continues to be?

Well I heard from my TA and looked at the offer.

I have a question that my TA will ask of Azamara, but to be honest, you guys here seem to provide better and quicker answers.

I lost a 7 day cruise. One of my options is for a 9 day cruise.

Part 1...do I get this at the 7 day price at which I booked?

Part 2..I already got a $400. OBC on the cruise, do I keep that and get the additional $500. OBC for switching.

I'd be lost without Cruise Critic!

Sal

In the interest of complete fairness, while I was sending the below post, my TA did get back to me with an answer to my 2 questions...good job TA and Azamara!!!

Here are the answers direct from Azamara to my TA:

Yes, to question 1 and 2. Same pricing $ 5133.90 and an additional $500.

This may go with this... turning lemons into lemonade!

Well I heard from my TA and looked at the offer.

I have a question that my TA will ask of Azamara, but to be honest, you guys here seem to provide better and quicker answers.

I lost a 7 day cruise. One of my options is for a 9 day cruise.

Part 1...do I get this at the 7 day price at which I booked?

Part 2..I already got a $400. OBC on the cruise, do I keep that and get the additional $500. OBC for switching.

I'd be lost without Cruise Critic!

Sal

In the interest of complete fairness, while I was sending the below post, my TA did get back to me with an answer to my 2 questions...good job TA and Azamara!!!

Here are the answers direct from Azamara to my TA:

Yes, to question 1 and 2. Same pricing $ 5133.90 and an additional $500.

This may go with this... turning lemons into lemonade!

Really happy at least one person is happy while many who were on the ill fated TA which was pretty much fully booked are not. And proves the offer is blatantly unfair in that people booking a longer trip are saving while those who were are on a longer trip are getting taken advantage of. Come on FAIR compensation letter.

The UK issued letter gives us to 31 August at 9pm to react which is realistic. I wonder if you did not have the date because you had part of a travel agents letter - maybe the response date and method was in a separate part of the communication. Certainly the direct later has it all

The UK issued letter gives us to 31 August at 9pm to react which is realistic. I wonder if you did not have the date because you had part of a travel agents letter - maybe the response date and method was in a separate part of the communication. Certainly the direct later has it all

No, had the TA send me the exact letter they received after getting the cut and paste version so I have the exact letter received and why I know the TA forgot to paste in the $500 reimbursement for air and hotel. Perhaps they realized it in the UK this morning after all the talk here yesterday.

My DW also commented that your have more stringent laws in the UK so that your people actually reviewed to letter for compliance.

With Bonnie noticeably absent from CC yesterday and today, and not blaming her in the least as she is restricted by Miami what she can say, imagine they are scurrying around in Miami trying to fix the numerous problems that have been identified here on CC and hopefully will soon issue a revision to the letter that fixes the numerous errors. Time will tell.

Does that mean I could trade my 17 night TA (solo rate) for a 16 night New Zealand??? That would be a win!

Always worth the conversation with Azamara, we've always found them reasonable in these cases. I know some US customers got a good deal when our 2017 cruise was cancelled due to a charter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure travel insurance doesn't cover anything like this especially since the cruise line is willing to do a 100% refund. Nothing else to get back. By the way, our TA forgot to include a $500 offer for any air or hotel charges in her cut and paste of the Azamara letter so they covered that eventuality even though now is more than a year prior to the affected cruises and flights are only available 330 days out. Pretty much the same with hotels.

I was reading quickly so I might not have understood correctly, but I wondered about your river cruise, and if you had a deposit for it that you might lose that would be able to be recovered through insurance. But maybe the $500 covers that.

I was reading quickly so I might not have understood correctly, but I wondered about your river cruise, and if you had a deposit for it that you might lose that would be able to be recovered through insurance. But maybe the $500 covers that.

Reread the letter and it is $500 pp for hotel and air. Might be able to squeeze River Cruise under hotel however based on the total mishandling of this entire disaster with so many errors, don't even want to try as we will keep the River Cruise and have absolutely no interest in the horrible TA from Lisbon. Two overnights in Hamilton and Havana are really like one full day of normal cruising since noon arrivals and 1PM & 2 PM departures for the two ports so barely one full day in each port.

Still waiting for a reasonable compensation offer before doing anything as there was no limit on response time to Azamara at least for the US. Found another TA that we are going to book on a different cruise line that has equal or better on board experience plus a home office with intelligent people

Really too bad as we really enjoyed our first cruise so booked the TA on board however the almost total incompetence of the home office cannot be overlooked and have lived with it for the past year since our first cruise and this was he straw that broke the camels back. Perhaps an attempt at reasonableness will bring us back but, so far the roaring silence and lack of fixing the multitude of errors in what should have been a simple letter cannot be overlooked.

Appreciate the thought of recovering the deposit but, really want to do that and cancelling that cruise as well would be just another knife in the gut.and based on our treatment the past week, strongly doubt they would even consider a credit for our river cruse and the new cruise leaves the exact same day from the exact same port so no changes except the ports and the new cruise actually goes to even more of the old TA's ports plus some new ones we haven't been to. Perhaps a nice change however more expensive.

Thanks again,

No, had the TA send me the exact letter they received after getting the cut and paste version so I have the exact letter received and why I know the TA forgot to paste in the $500 reimbursement for air and hotel. Perhaps they realized it in the UK this morning after all the talk here yesterday.

My DW also commented that your have more stringent laws in the UK so that your people actually reviewed to letter for compliance.

With Bonnie noticeably absent from CC yesterday and today, and not blaming her in the least as she is restricted by Miami what she can say, imagine they are scurrying around in Miami trying to fix the numerous problems that have been identified here on CC and hopefully will soon issue a revision to the letter that fixes the numerous errors. Time will tell.

I am not noticeably absent from CC. I've been commenting on plenty of threads; just not this thread.

Somewhere, recently, you mentioned that we 'arbitrarily' drop you from our email lists. I doubt there is anyone behind the scenes deciding who to drop from our mailings. But me, on the other hand, I have full latitude to arbitrarily respond or not to any given thread, post or poster. :evilsmile:

On this thread I have nothing more to add to the conversation; as CBO it's not my role, nor do I have the ability to fix booking issues. I do know our Customer Service team is busy re-accommodating previously booked guests. And every other department is extremely busy working on the logistics and multitude of changes required of an itinerary change of this magnitude.

I started in a cruise line marketing department back in 1983 (34 years now!) Itinerary changes, unexpected dry-dockings, close-in charters, missed ports due to weather or politics, airline or longshoreman strikes, etc etc, have always been part of the deal. They are never good news for the booked guests. Nor for the line's maritime planners, human resources, shorex planners, sales team, marketing team, international offices, etc...the whole lot.

So as mad as you are, there is zero chance I'm going to ask them to stop what they're doing and address your complaints as posted here on CC. I suggest you work with your travel professional since you have one who is looking after you. Hopefully s/he will rebook you on something you're happy with.

Dave, I see that you're on Uniworld. We did the Rhine/Moselle with them two years ago and I loved it--I think I prefer river cruising to ocean cruising. My husband needs his sea days, though. And his golf, hence Azamara :)

Hope you enjoy it! It was some of the best service we've ever had. And have some pistachio ice cream for me--it was my favorite!

Somewhere, recently, you mentioned that we 'arbitrarily' drop you from our email lists. I doubt there is anyone behind the scenes deciding who to drop from our mailings. But me, on the other hand, I have full latitude to arbitrarily respond or not to any given thread, post or poster. :evilsmile:

On this thread I have nothing more to add to the conversation; as CBO it's not my role, nor do I have the ability to fix booking issues. I do know our Customer Service team is busy re-accommodating previously booked guests. And every other department is extremely busy working on the logistics and multitude of changes required of an itinerary change of this magnitude.

I started in a cruise line marketing department back in 1983 (34 years now!) Itinerary changes, unexpected dry-dockings, close-in charters, missed ports due to weather or politics, airline or longshoreman strikes, etc etc, have always been part of the deal. They are never good news for the booked guests. Nor for the line's maritime planners, human resources, shorex planners, sales team, marketing team, international offices, etc...the whole lot.

If I understand correctly, isn't this Azamara's doing by accepting a charter? nothing to do with strikes, weather, dry-docking? I think if I were Dave I'd be a little more understanding if this were the result of an accident but not Azamara accepting a charter. And what about their cabins being for sale already? Shouldn't they have been held?

Edited by Cruise Junky

Bonnie

Not entering into the debate between you and Dave but he made a very valid point that needs looking at, guests on the cancelled 7th November cruise are finding their cabins are already being sold on the replacement transatlantic and there has been no ring fencing of them until after the deadline for decisions to be made that has been given to UK guests. If I was to be transferring to the new cruise I would be expecting to get the cabin I originally purchased.