La Cucina or Teppanyaki?

purpletequila

Hello,

Booking reservations tonight and am curious which you think is better.

I'm going on the Getaway.

Thanks!;p

I would choose Teppanyaki. I thought the chefs were very entertaining. Food is great - I chose the filet mignon.

Also, don't miss Million Dollar Quartet and Howl at the Moon. Million Dollar Quartet is the best show I have ever seen on a ship. If you do go, sit on the left side of the theatre. Such a great show, I saw it twice. Howl at the Moon is lots of fun. Enjoy your cruise on the Getaway!

Hello,

Booking reservations tonight and am curious which you think is better.

I'm going on the Getaway.

Thanks!;p

Of course it's a personal choice for the type of food first off. The atmosphere in the Italian restaurant can be a nice quiet meal with mellow background music. A nice antipasto and other exceptional Italian standard dishes can be a real relaxing way to enjoy a nice dinner. Teppanyaki is a room with several hibachi tables that can get a bit noisy even just the chef show at your table, it's a room with several Hibachi tables with up to 8 diners at each. Now if all that excitement is what you desire with a great chef show while cooking all your food and the chef's interaction with those at the table is a memorable time for you, go for it! I have done the teppanyaki on all of my cruises. Though I get the 4 night specialty dinning pkg and go to teppanyaki, churrascaria, Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants to get a mix of all of their culinary choices onboard. Enjoy whatever your choice is!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I recommend Tepanyaki. Here's why:

We just got off the Pearl and we had three specialty dinners (Cagney's, La Cucina, Tepanyaki).

I will NEVER spend time, effort, nor calories on La Cucina again. Tepanyaki was fun, food was good (but holy garlic), and the chefs were fun. Guests were singing, etc.

La Cucina: it was much of the same food from the main dining room. The only thing our group (of 10) ordered that was different was the risotto, and it was pretty good risotto. My pork scallopini was like leather and had so much pepper. And it was the very same dish I had at the lunch buffet! The carbonara is the same as the dining room, so is the chicken parmesan. Service was meh. On Royal Caribbean, the Italian restaurants are something special, with upscale, high-end dishes, so I expected the same!

Tepanyaki: it's like Benihana. Fun, loud atmosphere. Lots of dish choices. I got the filet and it was SO much steak! Cooked perfectly. There was seafood (scallops/shrimp/calimari), meat/seafood combos, etc. Everyone loved their meals.

You didn't ask about Cagney's, so for the benefit of others reading here: that's a good one, too! Really good steak, cooked as requested. Fabulous service.

I went with Cagney's, Le Bistro (my personal favorite), and Teppanyaki.

The menu at La Cucina looked fairly limited and I'm Italian and grew up in the same house as my off the boat Sicilian grandmother. Figured it would fail in comparison to her cooking.

Thanks for the input! :*

Getaway, epic etc have a better la cucina menu than pearl, star etc. We've always disliked la cucina but they put in the new menu and we much prefer it. Although the meal is entertaining in teppanyaki I think the good choice is too limited - chicken, fish or steak

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Getaway, epic etc have a better la cucina menu than pearl, star etc. We've always disliked la cucina but they put in the new menu and we much prefer it. Although the meal is entertaining in teppanyaki I think the good choice is too limited - chicken, fish or steak

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I totally agree and I know I am in the minority, but Teppanyaki's while entertaining if you get the right chef,the food is pretty much rice, rice and more rice plus the meat, but we have eaten there several times and just are not impressed.

We think La Cucina, on the mega ships is outstanding versus not quite so on the smaller ships.

Be prepared to sit for hours at tepanyaki. When we went, we had to wait for the table to fill and then the dinner dragged on and on. My two 16 year old fellow travelers just wanted to leave[emoji33]one and done- never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did both on the jade and they were tied for our favorite two dinners on the ship. If you had to pick one, though, I'd pick teppanyaki just because it's so different from the MDR. We found the food at la cucina much better than MDR food, but you could still get similar dishes.

It's unfortunate how much food quality seems to vary across the ships. Our worst meal on the ship was at cagney's. And most people list that at one of their favorites. When we were waiting to be seated there was a woman complaining about how bad the food was and that she had to send hers back multiple times. And she was right - ordered two medium steaks and 1 came out med well, and 1 mid rare. Neither the steaks nor the sides had any flavor.

So I would base your decision on which menu you prefer to eat off of instead of which one people think are 'good'. You could have a really good meal or really bad meal in any of them - just depending on which chefs you get.

Edited by sanger727

I totally agree and I know I am in the minority, but Teppanyaki's while entertaining if you get the right chef,the food is pretty much rice, rice and more rice plus the meat, but we have eaten there several times and just are not impressed.

We think La Cucina, on the mega ships is outstanding versus not quite so on the smaller ships.

I agree,

We went to La Cucina on the Escape last week and it was excellent so we changed our Teppanyaki reservation for La Cucina again. While we have never been to Teppanyaki, we didn't want to eat so much rice and egg with a little bit of meat/seafood thrown in. Plus, we could hear all the utensil clanking from the show while we were walking by and figured it would have been really loud while sitting there.

Teppanyaki all the way. La Cucina is a glorified Olive Garden. But then again we are Italian and picky when it comes to Italian food.

I've heard that exact comparison before and yeah, Italian here too. Not just Italian, but grew up in the same house as my off the boat Sicilian grandmother and her home cooking. It ruins Italian restaurants for me but my travel friends are Irish and "love the Olive Garden" so they told me to ask. They have no idea as to what really exists from true Italians from Italy cooking for you daily. :confused::D

i seen on the menu you can get vegetables instead of rice. what kind of vegetables do they offer?

Be prepared to sit for hours at tepanyaki. When we went, we had to wait for the table to fill and then the dinner dragged on and on. My two 16 year old fellow travelers just wanted to leave[emoji33]one and done- never again.

every time we have done it the table was filled within a minute or so. Yes, it is a long show, and yes, I can understand kids getting a bit bored, but I don't think I have seen any get up and leave. Maybe just a minute before the show is over, but not that anyone would have noticed. :eek:

i seen on the menu you can get vegetables instead of rice. what kind of vegetables do they offer?

I really, in all honesty never paid that much attention as I assume most of us, eating Asian food would want some rice, just not a lb. It seems they try to fill you up with rice. Hopefully someone can fill you in.

I eat at both the Teppanyaki restaurant and La Cucina (as well as Cagney's, my favorite); usually more times at Teppanyaki. Both are good, IMHO; I like Teppanyaki better, as the filet is great. At La Cucina, I order pasta with a bolognese sauce, which is not on the menu. I would recommend both, but would say, if you are only going to one, go to the Teppanyaki restaaurant.

Just my two cents, we did both and they were both our least favorite (I prefer Le Bistro, Cagneys or Moderno, they were all great). But I think the La Cucina menu has been improved since then. It was a nice space and not too crowded. The teppanyaki was just not a nice experience. Unlike some teppanyaki places where you're in a private room or the tables are spaced far enough apart, I felt claustrophobic in the small space with the tables so close together and the ear splitting noise of multiple chefs banging the crap out of their spatulas non stop! It wasn't that easy to get drink refills because of the crowded nature and our dining companions were not very nice people. I was dying to get out. And I gained like 5lbs in one night from all that soy sauce they put on everything.