No more kids under 3 allowed in the Pool!

Prada Cowboy

This only applies to the outdoor pool, the indoor pool is Adults only.

However, there are occasions when these rules are relaxed for families ( Baltic cruises) between 4-6 pm at the Captain's discretion, due to cold climate.

I'm sure they didn't come up with this policy just for the fun of it, I would venture to guess that the frequency of draining the pool, cleaning and refilling it after each 'incident' just got to be too much of a pain for the staff to handle.

Then there is the Ecoli, someone gets sick and spreads it throughout the ship and it's all X's fault.

All I was saying is how can you really put an age limit on it. Yes, mine were trained early yet I know some kids who weren't trained until they were 4!! It's a tough call!! I'm just glad that if kids are in swim diapers the parents are asked to remove them from the pool!!
Obviously, they had to do something because rules and honesty wasn't working, so they choose a reasonable age for the limit.

A few years back we were on a cruise and pointed out to an attendant that there was a child in the pool in swim diapers. The attendant went and spoke to the mother. She took the kid out, then when the attendant was gone she took off the swim diaper and sent her kid back into the pool. :rolleyes:

The issue is that it's really hard to prove a kid is or isn't potty trained. And lots of parents are in denial and think "he USUALLY does ok" is a good enough excuse to send a sort-of potty trained child into a public pool.

Yep, another reason we prefer not to use the pools or hot tubs.

I don't have young kids, but agree that decision should be based not on age, but if a child is trained or not. 1-2 yo should not be punished if they are trained.

Who judges? Age is the best way...by 3 most are trained...

Who judges? Age is the best way...by 3 most are trained...

So why kids who are 2, but trained should suffer? I think there should be a way to prove that kid is trained.

I don't have young kids, but agree that decision should be based not on age, but if a child is trained or not. 1-2 yo should not be punished if they are trained.

I have never met a 1 or young 2 year old that was predictably potty trained ((ie: not subject to accidents).

It makes absolute sense to place an age limit of 3.

This is yet another reason parents of small children may want to think twice about choosing Celebrity over other cruise lines (although they all prevent swim diapers I believe). Do not misunderstand me - I have NO issue with children being onboard. But the facts are that Celebrity is not geared towards children. They accommodate older kids with kids club activities and small gathering areas. But they really don't cater to kids. They just don't.

(and for the record I don't understand why the Penthouse was mentioned either. Is the implication that kids in that cabin should have different rules?? I'll prefer to think it was just a casual mention....)

What on earth does this have to do with the cruise line? A two year old should never be allowed in a public pool anywhere.

AS a parent who had a child who was 100% trained .. day and night by 18 months .. ( never one accident) and very tiny for her age I would like to carry my child while I am in the water. I know it is not the norm . But she is 40 now so not a problem. Todays kids have no reason to train with those things they wear . Mine had cloth diapers and didn't want to be wet

AS a parent who had a child who was 100% trained .. day and night by 18 months .. ( never one accident) and very tiny for her age I would like to carry my child while I am in the water. I know it is not the norm . But she is 40 now so not a problem. Todays kids have no reason to train with those things they wear . Mine had cloth diapers and didn't want to be wet

Wonderful. Are you willing to allow your children in a pool with toddlers that are NOT????

Maybe a note from pediatrician for example.

How would they know?

Dh never goes in a non family pool.. I swim early in the morning....when thd pools afe crowded..too many germs...

How would they know?

Maybe they can see that a child is not wearing a diaper?

You cannot control everything. You don't know if 3 yo or older isn't using a pool as a bathroom. Or even an adult. Myth about "blue water" is only a myth...

Maybe they can see that a child is not wearing a diaper?

You cannot control everything. You don't know if 3 yo or older isn't using a pool as a bathroom. Or even an adult. Myth about "blue water" is only a myth...

The answer is...to not allow children under 3 years of age and toilet trained to go in the pool. This the age when most preschools will take children and the age when most children are trained. For the rare toilet savant trained at 18 months.... it's unfortunate but understandable..ie, too bad.

The answer is...to not allow children under 3 years of age and toilet trained to go in the pool. This the age when most preschools will take children and the age when most children are trained. For the rare toilet savant trained at 18 months.... it's unfortunate but understandable..ie, too bad.

Or no one under 18 allowed onboard! OK.....just kidding but again the vocal minority (i.e. parents who think THEIR kids are perfect) try to change rules. Who is really "suffering" - the toddlers who won't even remember being not allowed in the pool, or the adults that don't want to swim in contaminated waters?

It seems a large part of the OP's concern is that the rules were changed midsailing.

We can argue all day long about potty trained kids in pools, but really it seems the biggest problem here is that the cruisers booked a cruise under one set of circumstances, and midway through, those have changed.

You might say "well, big deal, there are so many other things to do on the ship they shouldn't worry"...

But maybe the highlight of this families' trip was swimming?

Onboard the NCL Jade earlier this year, I arrived with my mom and with my then 5 y/o daughter... who, for weeks had been looking at the pictures of the children's pool and the waterslide on the Jade. For her, this was TRULY the highlight of the cruise.

The slide was being dismantled on the first day.

The family pool was closed after the first day or two.

So, no slide for the whole cruise and no swimming for most of the cruise. (I did not want to teach her to break rules by taking her to the adult pool, like everyone else seemed to be doing.)

I was very upset about this. Maybe it is minor to an adult but when you are in Kindergarten, going on a cruise with your mom and grandma and getting to swim all day is about the idea of heaven, and she couldn't do that. She was very disappointed, which is normal in life, but not what we want from vacations.