Terror in Barcelona

Woobstr112G

Google Robert Leroy Mercer for an interesting insight in the problem of how people in the US process the information they receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think americans process info very well, they cut through BS in most news.

In our upcoming cruise from Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale, the ship stops in NY. We were going to take the Brooklyn Bridge excursion and have decided against it. I don't care to get mowed down by a car or truck on the bridge. Walking tours will be out for us as well, especially in Boston. Groups of people are the target, I won't be wearing one on my back. Our plan is to avoid crowds in a big city, and yeah I know I could get killed any where, but I don't live in a big city or even near one, so I'll take my chances going shopping today for groceries.

We have done walking tours all over Europe and have more planned on our TA come October. As for Boston, walking is great. Why travel if you are afraid to go out?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Americans probably have more sources of information that most countries from a wide variety of news and media outlets.....it's not the messengers that are the problem but how people in the US process the information they receive......one side believes in peace and the other believes in hate and neither side will probably ever believe the other again.....kinda of like Carnival vs Princess when it is brought up on these boards....:cool:

Please refrain from expressing your political opinions here. It really is insulting for a lot of members. Peace to you.

It is beyond the past and current events - yesterday in Finland, a muslim/islamic terrorist focused on FEMALE only victims and injured over 6 ladies. The loser was from Morrocco.

Likely in the US you were not informed of this given your biased media - we were well informed of this via Canadian media and via the BBC.

This is serious business and will significantly impact the cost of travel and the use of taxpayer $. I am not amused in the least and not indulgent of this garbage activity.

There has been little coverage of the Finland attacks here. I have found information via Google. How awful.

There has been little coverage of the Finland attacks here. I have found information via Google. How awful.

Both our local papers carried information. If you go online' date=' AOL, MSN, Yahoo, etc. all have the story front page. Why would you have to Google? If you have an I Pad, you could swoosh right and your news page would have had it through CNN, NYTimes, and Washington Post.

We have done walking tours all over Europe and have more planned on our TA come October. As for Boston, walking is great. Why travel if you are afraid to go out?

walking tours are great .... just avoid the crowds... go off the beaten track. We do that all the time.

Today in America - like every day in America - somewhere between 75 and 100 people were shot to death.

Today in America - like every day in America - 11 people were killed by riding lawnmowers.

Today in America - like every day in America - 140 people died from Opioid overdoses; some of them were behind the wheel of a car when it happened.

It really is too bad about the 13 people killed in Spain this week, but a little perspective on the bigger picture might ease your nerves a bit - unless you happen to live in America.

Agree with you, but unfortunately it kind of hits home when the one American person that was killed in Barcelona is from the town next to us and his wife is my friend's child's teacher. [emoji22]

Oct. 21 I will be in Barcelona for the Royal TA. I will also walk on the Ramblas but with

a little more vigilance. I believe in destiny. When it is your time...

No one can put into words the feelings we have for the dead and injured in Barcelona.

Very sad, we have been to Barcelona many times... going again in October, taking the Royal on the 14 day TA back to Florida.... watching what is going in Europe in general, we decided stay two days in advance at the Hiltin Diagonal Mar... which is off the beaten path on the far side of Barcelona from the airport. We try to avoid crowds generally in all ports, especially now in Europe. We take taxis no public transportation. We have been traveling throughout the Mediterranean for many years... know we all have to stay alert, the world is a dangerous place... no matter where you are, can't stay home but must try to stay safe as possible.

We are on the same cruise. Staying at the Renaissance Barcelona (Marriott). We have been in Barcelona many times, this is our second Trans-Atlantic, our first time was on Celebrity. Certainly it is horrible what has happened in this city, but we had flown out of New York the day before 911, and several years ago we were staying in Times Square, New York when the police discovered a car with a bomb that fortunately didn't go off. Terrorism can strike anywhere. We follow some simple rules, we try to be observant in regards to individuals, we try to stay out of, whenever possible, heavy crowds, and we always try to have an "escape route" where we can walk away.

We are on the same cruise. Staying at the Renaissance Barcelona (Marriott). We have been in Barcelona many times, this is our second Trans-Atlantic, our first time was on Celebrity. Certainly it is horrible what has happened in this city, but we had flown out of New York the day before 911, and several years ago we were staying in Times Square, New York when the police discovered a car with a bomb that fortunately didn't go off. Terrorism can strike anywhere. We follow some simple rules, we try to be observant in regards to individuals, we try to stay out of, whenever possible, heavy crowds, and we always try to have an "escape route" where we can walk away.

Excellent, thank you. Good thought about the escape route.

Both our local papers carried information. If you go online, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, etc. all have the story front page. Why would you have to Google? If you have an I Pad, you could swoosh right and your news page would have had it through CNN, NYTimes, and Washington Post.

Did your news sources cover the part about that it was females who attacked in Finland? This was the point that the earlier poster was making.

It would be lesser for numerous and obvious reasons. City of millions on a world known street versus city of 180k in out of way place. More deaths and injuries. Terrorist still on loose versus captured. Three places in Spain versus one. Bombs and cars versus a lone knife.

It would be lesser for numerous and obvious reasons. City of millions on a world known street versus city of 180k in out of way place. More deaths and injuries. Terrorist still on loose versus captured. Three places in Spain versus one. Bombs and cars versus a lone knife.

Also, a much larger Hispanic population versus Finnish would dictate news coverage.

Did your news sources cover the part about that it was females who attacked in Finland? This was the point that the earlier poster was making.

Both of the new sources I listed did, and those were just the one left leaning and one right leaning news organizations I follow. I'm sure others made the point too. You can't leave your TV tuned to a single channel all day long and expect to get balanced reporting. It's up to each of us to stay legitimately informed. It's also up to us to keep these attacks in perspective. Historically, I have far more cause to be concerned by the ease with which mentally ill people have access to guns in my city than about the possibility of someone carrying out an attack in the name of ISIS when we travel.

.one side believes in peace and the other believes in hate and neither side will probably ever believe the other again.....kinda of like Carnival vs Princess when it is brought up on these boards....:cool:

Well, violence and hate cannot be attributed to one side. I'd be surprised if either side in the US believes in peace anymore. Sad deal, really.

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

I disagree.

This is an open cruise forum and cruisers are here on this thread to express sadness over terrorism and lives LOST at a common Med port o call.

Not discussing anyone's future cruise plans.