Upgrading Drink Package

ISLANDFAN

And believe me when I say, you will be approached about upgrading it before you approach them on how to do it. It will be within the first few minutes of sitting down at a bar if not sooner.

But, just of note, Celebrity changed their policy on paying the difference between the cost of a drink and the upper limit of the classic package. Just as with the premium package where you only pay the difference, this now also applies to the classic package. It may not work for you but we found it very much in our favor not to have to upgrade.

we picked classic beverage pkg for our 14 day eclipse in january, the only bourbon i saw on a classic list is jim beam, how much would extra would i have to pay if i wanted a Makers Mark once in a while ? if it's going to be 9 or 10, i'd probably upgrade to premium when we board. Thanx for any advice, Mike in CT

I would wait till you get on board. Last year for Mother's Day Cruise out of Bayonne to Bermuda they offered an upgraded package onboard for an extremely low amount. It paid for us to wait to upgrade till we were onboard. Never know if they might offer something special.

we picked classic beverage pkg for our 14 day eclipse in january, the only bourbon i saw on a classic list is jim beam, how much would extra would i have to pay if i wanted a Makers Mark once in a while ? if it's going to be 9 or 10, i'd probably upgrade to premium when we board. Thanx for any advice, Mike in CT

If a Makers Mark drink sells for $10 and that is your only consideration in deciding whether or not to upgrade to premium, then you would need to drink 10 MMs per day in order to break even! On the other hand, if a MM sells for $13 or more, then the break even is on average 2.5 drinks of MM per day.

Do it on board and don't be too quick to do it. You may find that the classic covers what you drink and if not depending on how much you drink it may be worth paying the difference per drink.

The other is if you decided to upgrade do it with the server or BT at the bar that you like or will be using the most as they get the 18 % gratuity and really appreciate it and will become your "friend". Just don't expect them to serve you ahead of others or break any rules but they will suggest or make you drinks that you may not have thought of or don't know about. They always have something up their sleeve or in their pocket. Can result in a real fun experience.

Drink up 🍹🍷🍸🍺

Good information. My question is back to back bruises coming up next year. Classic was a perk on one, but the other is a trans Atlantic (no perks). Is waiting until on board to buy a premium package a good strategy if there aren't any pre-cruise sales on packages?

Could anyone tell me what is this ncluded n the Go Big drink promo? I don't know whether it is standard, or classic. I think the price limit on the standard is $6, and I want to be able to get my cosmo!

If a Makers Mark drink sells for $10 and that is your only consideration in deciding whether or not to upgrade to premium, then you would need to drink 10 MMs per day in order to break even! On the other hand, if a MM sells for $13 or more, then the break even is on average 2.5 drinks of MM per day.

??? Our free perk is the classic package . If a " premium" bourbon wou ld cost $10, and the upgrade to the premium package is $10/day it seems like ordering just one per day I'll break even. 2/day and I'm ahead.

Sent from my SM-T817P using Forums mobile app

Could anyone tell me what is this ncluded n the Go Big drink promo? I don't know whether it is standard, or classic. I think the price limit on the standard is $6, and I want to be able to get my cosmo!

The GoBig package is the "classic" which has a per drink limit of $9 and you pay the differential on anything over that. Some bars may be able to make a Cosmo for less than $9 however the ones at the Martini bar are $12

??? Our free perk is the classic package . If a " premium" bourbon wou ld cost $10, and the upgrade to the premium package is $10/day it seems like ordering just one per day I'll break even. 2/day and I'm ahead.

Sent from my SM-T817P using Forums mobile app

With the Classic, a $10 drink will cost you (10 - 9) x 1.18 = 1.18

The daily charge for upgrade to Premium is 10 x 1.18 = 11.18

11.18 / 1.18 = 10 drinks per day breakeven

With a drink at or over $13 - for example $15:

Classic: (15 - 9) x 1.18 = 7.08

Premium: (15 - 13) x 1.18 = 2.36

Difference = 7.08 - 2.36 = 4.72

11.80 / 4.72 = 2.5 drinks per day breakeven

What liquor you have the drink made with is the key.

Classic covers the first $9.00, any amount over you are responsible for. Same for wine and beer.

The Premium covers the first $14.00, then the same math applies to any overage.

The cost to upgrade is $11.80 per day no matter when you do it, precruise, or on board. BUT :confused: if you wait till on board you can try the Classic for a few drinks or days and then decide if it fits to upgrade for the remaining time.

Thank you Larry, i didn't realize that i would only have to pay the difference, not the full price of the "premium" bourbon. Haven't sailed Celebrity since 2005, don't know all the rules. Looking forward to 14 days on the Eclipse in january, and 14 days on the Edge in Jan-19. Mike in CT

Thanks everyone for the information on Classic versus Premium, Celebrity does offer a list of the packages on their web site detailing what liquors are available. My question is how did Rotary Mike know that I drink Makers Mark which is now on the Premium list, and is the basis for my original post! Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

The GoBig package is the "classic" which has a per drink limit of $9 and you pay the differential on anything over that. Some bars may be able to make a Cosmo for less than $9 however the ones at the Martini bar are $12

The difference besides the size of the Cosmo is what they use.

Martini bar is Grey Goose and Grand Marnier.

Other bars use Asbolute and Triple Sec

Something to note is that at all of the bars if you order a drink such as the cosmo they will always use the well or standard spirits. They don't automatically make drinks using premium spirits just because you have the premium package. You will have to specify what brands you want your drink made with.

Drink up 🍸🍹🍷🍺

With the Classic, a $10 drink will cost you (10 - 9) x 1.18 = 1.18

The daily charge for upgrade to Premium is 10 x 1.18 = 11.18

11.18 / 1.18 = 10 drinks per day breakeven

With a drink at or over $13 - for example $15:

Classic: (15 - 9) x 1.18 = 7.08

Premium: (15 - 13) x 1.18 = 2.36

Difference = 7.08 - 2.36 = 4.72

11.80 / 4.72 = 2.5 drinks per day breakeven

Close!

10 x 1.18= 11.80, not 11.18!

When an upgrade is done on board the bartender that does the upgrade gets the tips for it. I had heard about this, but didn't confirm until we heard from a bartender that is on our upcoming cruise. We are friends on Facebook and he confirmed that if we upgrade with him he will get the tip, so I'm sure we will get asked a million times, but will wait and upgrade with him.

I was told by the Celebrity rep on the phone that if you upgrade to Premium before the cruise, you have to upgrade both passengers but if you wait until on board, you can upgrade just one. Also, the upgrade is based on the number of days left of the cruise, so better to wait and see if you really need the upgrade.

Hmmmm..... maybe the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Good to know!

Question: if you have the classic package and order a Martini at the Martini bar, do you just pay the difference between $9 and the cost of the drink. Or do you pay the regular price?

Sent from my iPad using Forums