re meat pies

If you are ever in the Southern Highlands the gumnut Pattiseries at Bowral and Berrima have exceptional pies and pastries. Not in the same league but the old Big Ben Pie provided a square meal on many a Friday night as kids.

home cooked shepherd pie tonight after reading all these pie posts

there goes my diet

Funny enough still tearing the house apart, new flooring starts tomorrow, Mrs G said something easy tonight I'll chuck some pies in the oven, so not home cooked but pie all the same.

Hi,my mrs makes the best kate and sydney pies and puddings (do you guys have puddings) in the world,imo lol.Here in the deep south of Italy they eat cows spinal cord,heart and lungs,half a sheeps head and tripe among other strange things.They dont like kidneys,I think its the superstition of it being a urinary organ.We have to order them 5 days in advance from our butcher,otherwise they will be in the bin.Cheers,Brian.

Hey Brian - I make rag puddings, and a mean pork pie - with the good old hot water paste. Can't get any of that here - and Hollands puddings are unheard of. Yep, kidneys collect the urine - but kidneys make a good snake and pigmy pie ;pI also do the good old cheese'n'onion pie. (Not quiche)

A bit of useless information - Cornish pasties are crinkled along the top so Cornish Miners could hold them with their dirty hands and eat them whilst underground.:D

Edited by dizzy1948

Hey Brian - I make rag puddings, and a mean pork pie - with the good old hot water paste. Can't get any of that here - and Hollands puddings are unheard of. Yep, kidneys collect the urine - but kidneys make a good snake and pigmy pie ;pI also do the good old cheese'n'onion pie. (Not quiche)

A bit of useless information - Cornish pasties are crinkled along the top so Cornish Miners could hold them with their dirty hands and eat them whilst underground.:D

Hi,we're having homemade kate and sidney pudding with roast spuds and greens etc.(typical southern Italian fayre in 30 degrees heat,but mad dogs and poms,lol).My mrs makes it in a plastic bowl in the pressure cooker.She cooked all the meat in a slow cooker yesterday and we have enough over for a pie also.My mum used to cook spotted dick in a rag,lovely smothered in birds custard,lol.cheers,Brian.

I haven't seen spotted dick on a menu ever, do they do them on P&O UK?

P&O UK certainly do or did anyway serve ye olde Spotted Dick for dessert on P&O UK, seen it occasionally on MDR lunch menu, on Arcadia, Aurora and Oriana, Uncle Mic.:') I stay away from it, but I enjoy the 'Eton Mess' for dessert.

From memory Spotted Dick is a type of suet pudding with raisins, currants, sultanas, heated therein. Brian mentioned Birds custard an old Brit favourite.

I like the Kippers for breakfast in the MDR.:p But they can keep their black pudding and the white one too.

LOL, my wife has cooked that also (without reading the posts).:D

I am one of those would be Chefs, I cook dinner every evening, because I like cooking. Some meals turn out better than others. Last night Lasagne using GF pasta sheets, tonight - home cooked Corned beef in the slow cooker, just immerse the corned beef in the slow cooker with a 1.25l bottle of dry ginger ale and cook on low for 8 hours, lubbly jubbly. Not forgetting the white sauce on serving.

:halo:

If you are ever in the Southern Highlands the gumnut Pattiseries at Bowral and Berrima have exceptional pies and pastries. Not in the same league but the old Big Ben Pie provided a square meal on many a Friday night as kids.

With mushy peas, love ye olde mushy peas on anything.

P&O UK certainly do or did anyway serve ye olde Spotted Dick for dessert on P&O UK, seen it occasionally on MDR lunch menu, on Arcadia, Aurora and Oriana, Uncle Mic.:') I stay away from it, but I enjoy the 'Eton Mess' for dessert.

From memory Spotted Dick is a type of suet pudding with raisins, currants, sultanas, heated therein. Brian mentioned Birds custard an old Brit favourite.

I like the Kippers for breakfast in the MDR.:p But they can keep their black pudding and the white one too.

Cool, hopefully IU can get some, we might be getting onto the Azura next year, if the price drops anyway.

I am one of those would be Chefs, I cook dinner every evening, because I like cooking. Some meals turn out better than others. Last night Lasagne using GF pasta sheets, tonight - home cooked Corned beef in the slow cooker, just immerse the corned beef in the slow cooker with a 1.25l bottle of dry ginger ale and cook on low for 8 hours, lubbly jubbly. Not forgetting the white sauce on serving.

:halo:

That is funny, we have corned beef for tomorrow night.:D

Cool, hopefully IU can get some, we might be getting onto the Azura next year, if the price drops anyway.

Hope you make it Mic. And you probably know with P&O UK you can take your own booze on with no problems, beer, spirits, vino, just for emergencies.:cool:

P&O UK very recently brought out new menus, hopefully spotted dick may appear.

Hope you make it Mic. And you probably know with P&O UK you can take your own booze on with no problems, beer, spirits, vino, just for emergencies.:cool:

P&O UK very recently brought out new menus, hopefully spotted dick may appear.

I look forward to spotting some spotted dick if we get on that cruise. As for alcohol, it is only a short cruise so may not need too many bottles.

I look forward to spotting some spotted dick if we get on that cruise. As for alcohol, it is only a short cruise so may not need too many bottles.

Why not some Jam Rolly Polly or some Plum Duff with custard? Maybe a Yorkie Bar for a snack.

Not keen on the jam rolly polly.

As for the plum duff, not sure what that is but I would go the custard.