re meat pies

Pure Gold Mr Gut.:') What a great skool lunch you had. These days my grandkids (5 of them) have to eat rabbit food at skool, no pies, sausage rolls, chiko rolls, apple pies, lamingtons etc. I mean what self respecting kid wants to eat a tuna salad for lunch ?

No Chickos unfortunately, or do I mean just as well otherwise I may have to be GutGut.

No Chickos unfortunately, or do I mean just as well otherwise I may have to be GutGut.

A Chiko roll was always a good snack, eating them out of those little paper bags they came in. You can still buy a box of frozen Chiko rolls in Woolies, they even put the special paper bags in with them.

Chiko Rolls came into being in 1951, inspired by the Chinese Spring Roll of the era. These days Simplot is the manufacturer. Bit of ye olde Chiko history there.

Our school didn't even have a tuck shop, had to bring your own lunch. Some people would steal other people's lunches unfortunately, mine was only ever stolen once, even when I would leave it exposed for the taking.:(.

Did you have Pecks Anchovette Paste on them Uncle Mic, no wonder no one purloined them. lol.:')

Had your lunch from home been a nice devon & tomato sauce torpedo roll or a corned beef sambo with mustard pickles therein, they would have gone in a flash, lol.

A Chiko roll was always a good snack, eating them out of those little paper bags they came in. You can still buy a box of frozen Chiko rolls in Woolies, they even put the special paper bags in with them.

Chiko Rolls came into being in 1951, inspired by the Chinese Spring Roll of the era. These days Simplot is the manufacturer. Bit of ye olde Chiko history there.

Yep buy half a dozen boxes when they're on special, a great feed if your on the road, a pie is a bit hard to eat while driving. A Chiko, perfect.

Another bit of trivia, no chicken in them, never had been.

A school lunches back in the good old days.

None of that fancy refrigeration nonsense they have now. Mum would make the sandwiches with whatever meat and fillings, and we didn't die.

In Perth we had free milk delivered at school early in the morning. It sat outside for several hours until it was handed out. I think the flavoured straws were to hide how off it had got.

None of that fancy refrigeration nonsense they have now. Mum would make the sandwiches with whatever meat and fillings, and we didn't die.

In Perth we had free milk delivered at school early in the morning. It sat outside for several hours until it was handed out. I think the flavoured straws were to hide how off it had got.

Us dinosaurs must all have a salmonella resistant gut old son. Eating and drinking all that heat affected food, before 'use by dates' were even though of.:confused:

I liked the posters for Chiko rolls but of course I only read the tag lines.:cool:

Did you have Pecks Anchovette Paste on them Uncle Mic, no wonder no one purloined them. lol.:')

Had your lunch from home been a nice devon & tomato sauce torpedo roll or a corned beef sambo with mustard pickles therein, they would have gone in a flash, lol.

Nothing that nice, just peanut butter or jam. worse thing was the lunches were made the night before and then frozen, by lunch they may have been thawed but if they were, then they were stale. Didn't eat lunch at school for around 6 years.

I used to look forward to the milk as we only had powdered milk at home.

And so this thread goes on and on, I plead guilty !! :mad:

OK you mob, if you are ever in UK, nearly every town has a Greggs. They sell cakes, pasties, sausage rolls, sambos, drinks etc. People are often lined up in the street at lunchtimes. They are very well priced too.

www,greggs.co.uk

Uncle Les, I think you need another g in the URL. And no commas, full stops

Www.greggs.co.uk

At least it did not redirect me to one of those naughty sites I have heard about. Not like that private school in Melbourne the other week. Here kiddies, look at this site for event news and tickets -- Look away, look away.

Edited by Docker123

OK you mob, if you are ever in UK, nearly every town has a Greggs. They sell cakes, pasties, sausage rolls, sambos, drinks etc. People are often lined up in the street at lunchtimes. They are very well priced too.

www.greggs.co.uk

They have great Chelsea Buns and old fashioned "Sticky Finger Buns" reasonable coffee and offer a 10% discount to us aged.

Uncle Les, I think you need another g in the URL. And no commas, full stops

Www.greggs.co.uk

At least it did not redirect me to one of those naughty sites I have heard about. Not like that private school in Melbourne the other week. Here kiddies, look at this site for event news and tickets -- Look away, look away.

Cheers mate, I did correct it when I got sent into Disneyland without the extra g.

It did turn a lot of people off milk though, a few times took a big gob full and it had turned.

www.greggs.co.uk

Hi,there are no chains of pie shops in UK.Greggs,most chip shops and kebab shops all sell factory made pies of a mediocre quality.There are artisan pie and pasty shops dotted about of a higher quality.There are pie and mash shops in East London mainly which is a cockney thing lol.Just got a kilo of kidneys from the butcher up the road.Kate and Sidney pudding sunday,yay.Do you guys use beef or veggy suet,cheers,Brian.

Hi,there are no chains of pie shops in UK.Greggs,most chip shops and kebab shops all sell factory made pies of a mediocre quality.There are artisan pie and pasty shops dotted about of a higher quality.There are pie and mash shops in East London mainly which is a cockney thing lol.Just got a kilo of kidneys from the butcher up the road.Kate and Sidney pudding sunday,yay.Do you guys use beef or veggy suet,cheers,Brian.

Has to be beef for me. But I never lived through the depression. My Grandmother used a fair bit of suet and a handful of beef, but then she used "filler" in a lot of dishes.