re meat pies

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Apparently that apple and cheese pie is a Japanese invention and Hokkiado Baked Cheese Pie outlets are all over Australia. http://www.hbctaus.com.au

Boutique pie outlets then.  $3.90 for a 4 inch tart, not a bad price, but I cannot see anything else in their range.  No GF either.😒  They have opened up a few outlets, I do hope they survive.

Edited by NSWP

When I lived in America in the 80s, apple pie with some sharp cheddar cheese was sometimes on offer.

I was told it was a New England tradition. Not quite in New England, but my flat mate and family from Philadelphia used to serve it.

Edited by Docker123

25 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

When I lived in America in the 80s, apple pie with some sharp cheddar cheese was sometimes on offer.

I was told it was a New England tradition. Not quite in New England, but my flat mate and family from Philadelphia used to serve it.

I’ve had American friends dish up a slice of apple pie with a slice or two of cheddar cheese, but not with cheese sauce inside the pie, they took a bite of pie and a bite of cheese together, I ate my pie and then my cheese separately.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Boutique pie outlets then.  $3.90 for a 4 inch tart, not a bad price, but I cannot see anything else in their range. 

By my calculations that makes $64.35 for a five foot six inch full sized tart. Quite good value these days.😄

59 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I would try it.

Ok,I thought I would never weigh in to this topic bu last week while at Tweed Heads Bowls Club there was much talk about the meat pies,made on premises from beef from their own butcher shop.

What can I say, full of chunky beef full of flavour, I am  gluten intolerant but can tolerate a little so had about a square  inch of the crusty shell, husband declared it best pastry ever on a bought pie.

Best meat pie I have tasted apart from the ones my Mum used to make with lots of kidney.

Cheers Carole

18 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Sharp Cheddar Cheese, now you are talking, I live on that and red wine. Lubbly Jubbly.    I like the vintage Cracker Barrel or a bit of Mersey Valley.   If you are down Bega way, call into the Bega Cheese Heritage Centre, museum, café, cheese tasting and sales. Some vintage cheeses there you won't find in the supermarkets.  I will be down that way this weekend, well into Merimbula on Saturday to see a show, will call in to the Bega Cheese on the way back Sunday for some sharp cheese.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Strike me pink.

just got an email from Harry’s Cafe, they are selling quiche, what is the world coming to, one of them doesn’t even have any meat in it.

It’s not April first is it???

All those Vegetarians trying to take over the world...😈

15 hours ago, Russell21 said:

By my calculations that makes $64.35 for a five foot six inch full sized tart. Quite good value these days.😄

Indeed, extraordinary good value for a big tart.😝

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Sharp Cheddar Cheese, now you are talking, I live on that and red wine. Lubbly Jubbly.    I like the vintage Cracker Barrel or a bit of Mersey Valley.   If you are down Bega way, call into the Bega Cheese Heritage Centre, museum, café, cheese tasting and sales. Some vintage cheeses there you won't find in the supermarkets.  I will be down that way this weekend, well into Merimbula on Saturday to see a show, will call in to the Bega Cheese on the way back Sunday for some sharp cheese.

Lived at Narooma for many years and remember the many cheese factories that existed before the Bega Co-op, as it was then, bought them all up and closed them down. Have a fondness for the Bega Black label vintage cheddar, good but not as good as the Bodalla vintage cheddar that was strictly only available to locals in the know. It was kept an extra 12 months maturing time.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

14 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Lived at Narooma for many years and remember the many cheese factories that existed before the Bega Co-op, as it was then, bought them all up and closed them down. Have a fondness for the Bega Black label vintage cheddar, good but not as good as the Bodalla vintage cheddar that was strictly only available to locals in the know. It was kept an extra 12 months maturing time.

Those aren't proper cheddars! You need some of this:

20190813_131015.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's a British cheese and it's sold in Australia. Harris Farm Markets have it, as do some delis. 

Have to keep a look out for it.  I don't mind the Cracker Barrel, made by Warrnambool Cheese these days.

CB_Range.jpg

56 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

We grew up on this stuff. Cardboard box and wrapped in foil.

Such good quality they did not have to have it in the refrigerated case.

332C41CC-E845-468F-A194-7D63B59D0D4B.jpeg.d39e597c235f51cc67b6701f802a21a4.jpeg

Good stuff, is it still available?  We had it in tins in the Army - Compo Rations.  Some liken the Kraft processed bloke as akin to a bar of soap, in looks and taste perhaps?   Being a 'cheesaholic' I do not mind it.

On another note, I feel my new avatar is a bit 'Cheesy.' 😆

Edited by NSWP