The recurring tonic question! Anyone on Journey now?

gymfreak

29 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

It is worth bearing in mine that Pursuit has been in Europe all Summer and its quite likely that Royal Club will be back onboard when the ship takes on new supplies in Miami.

You could be right.  That stuff seems to rear its ugly head just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!  

Phil

44 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

It is worth bearing in mine that Pursuit has been in Europe all Summer and its quite likely that Royal Club will be back onboard when the ship takes on new supplies in Miami.

Good point

Quest had just made the trip from Athens to Dubai before we boarded. The tonic on offer apart from those in the know like myself who found out about the Fever Tree was that other disgusting tonic I think it’s Seagrams ( May be spelt differently). I think it rivals Royal Club in the yuk factor!

vicki

• 2 weeks later...

Fever Tree Tonic was available onboard the Pursuit TA. :classic_biggrin:

Our experience was that Schweppes was poured unless we requested the Fever Tree or until the bartender knew our usual drink!

We did find the Schweppes onboard to be much better than the Schweppes from the US which is made with High Fructose Corn Syrup vs sugar.

44 minutes ago, gaspari said:

On Journey last week, the regular tonic was Schweppes, but the diet tonic was an awful tasting Royal Club brand

Interesting that - we were on Cruise and Maritime (don't ask!) to the Amazon last year and the regular tonic was Royal Club but the diet tonic was Schweppes - guess who was on G&Ts with diet tonic:classic_rolleyes:.

• 7 months later...

One final thank you to all the G&T mavens [sorry, that's probably not the right word in British English :classic_wink:] who steered me to the ultimate G&T recipe.  I now keep a bottle of Silent Pool and a supply of FeverTree Elderflower in my fridge.  I make a G&T with a 1:3 ratio of the above, no ice and no garnish = heaven!  In theory, the lack of ice means I could sip it slowly as it won't dilute.  In practice, the lack of ice makes it even easier to knock it back!

But of course one can't always find either Silent Pool or FT Elderflower, so I was very pleased to find that FT has published this handy chart of dozens of gins with their appropriate FT tonic:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One final thank you to all the G&T mavens [sorry, that's probably not the right word in British English :classic_wink:] who steered me to the ultimate G&T recipe.  I now keep a bottle of Silent Pool and a supply of FeverTree Elderflower in my fridge.  I make a G&T with a 1:3 ratio of the above, no ice and no garnish = heaven!  In theory, the lack of ice means I could sip it slowly as it won't dilute.  In practice, the lack of ice makes it even easier to knock it back!

But of course one can't always find either Silent Pool or FT Elderflower, so I was very pleased to find that FT has published this handy chart of dozens of gins with their appropriate FT tonic:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.jpg

Host JazzBeau, thanks for posting. FeverTree have definitely taken the pleasure of Gin too new heights.

Another great resource is www.theginguide.com which is great for experimenting with garnishes to match the gin

Silent Pool is a wonderful Gin, however just this weekend we discovered yet another amazing tongue tantaliser, Scapegrace from New Zealand. Unfortunately I think its going to be hard to find aside from mail order.

I would appreciate some feedback from CC contributors who have sailed this summer on either Journey or Pursuit.

Last year Richard Twynam assured these forums (possibly via Bonnie) that Schweppes would be use whilst the ships are in Europe, is that the case this year?

I'm hoping if it was the vile Royal Club we would have heard about it on these forums.

If the ships do have Schweppes it will off set the need to bring my own tonic with me.

I can happily confirm May 11 and 28 sailings on Journey the vile monster was nowhere to be seen.  Shhhh for the tonic drinkers and Canada Dry for my ginger ale man ruled the waves.

But are you telling me I have to return and inflict myself again on my Kiwi family with an empty suitcase to find perfection?  We do have some next after next generation backpackers (scary thought) heading over but I doubt for various reasons any bottle would even reach Thailand- ah well. 

• Like 1

Quest in January round New Zealand - mainly Royal Club but the bars kept a stash of Schweppes hidden away for those who asked. They got to know me and my tastes quite quickly!:classic_biggrin:

Edited by SteveH2508

1 hour ago, SteveH2508 said:

Quest in January round New Zealand - mainly Royal Club but the bars kept a stash of Schweppes hidden away for those who asked. They got to know me and my tastes quite quickly!:classic_biggrin:

This would be such an easy problem to fix, and so frustrating when they don’t fix it.  If Azamara want to be seen as a premium line, they should break their attachment to cheap and nasty tonic.  I am a G&T drinker, and I hate having to jump though hoops to get decent tonic.  It shouldn’t be a case of requiring a secret signal from those in the know to get Schweppes tonic, it should be provided as a a matter of course.  

• Like 1

On Pursuit at the moment. Schweppes tonic readily available. Will report back if I manage to find fever tree. Was on in Nov in select locations. Enjoying a lovely cold beer in Zakinthos with great view of port and Pursuit at anchor in the distance 😁 🍺. Being well looked after too. Happy days!

BC976E45-A8F7-486F-9A63-8C328361E25A.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Tell the bar staff to save some Schweppes or even better, some Fever Tree for me in July please! 😂

No need they are in the Med so Schweppes is on general supply even in your room minibar.  Not sure any ship is restocked with Fevertree.  Maybe will happen after they have done UK stops

Hope the ship will be well stocked in November as we leave Lisbon to head to Rio. Not many options or opportunities to restock on that cruise. May have to squeeze a case of Fevertree into the luggage!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

I'm afraid to admit I don't do gin (nasty incident with it 35 years ago) but I'm looking forward to trying this Fevertree with my grey goose vodka.😉

Good luck, its a rare beast on Azamara. Try it shore side.

A lot of cruise lines now serve Fever Tree it as standard, Azamara unfortunately not. Apparently it's too expensive for a premium line to serve.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, norn iron said:

Good luck, its a rare beast on Azamara. Try it shore side.

A lot of cruise lines now serve Fever Tree it as standard, Azamara unfortunately not. Apparently it's too expensive for a premium line to serve.

I would very happily pay for it onboard. May have to follow someone else's example and "recycle" some cans from the BA lounge in July! 😂

I was recently talking to a friend who is as well travelled as I am. We had a challenge of how many countries around the world.

It worked out I had visited 68 and my friend 62 so we have a great on going challenge.

That got me thinking, yes I'm Irish and we are known to enjoy a drink. I must have visited bars in virtually every country I have visited with the exception of 'dry countries', and that would amount to bars in about 60 countries.

Not once on my travels have I ever seen Royal Club served in a bar, anywhere, not even in the Netherlands where the parent company Heineken is based.

I appreciate Schweppes is now being served in Europe, but how in name of a good gin and tonic are Azamara getting their eye wiped by a salesman with a brown envelope to stock what is a truly unacceptable product outside of Europe?

Edited by norn iron
Amended and spelling mistake

14 hours ago, uktog said:

I can happily confirm May 11 and 28 sailings on Journey the vile monster was nowhere to be seen.  Shhhh for the tonic drinkers and Canada Dry for my ginger ale man ruled the waves.

But are you telling me I have to return and inflict myself again on my Kiwi family with an empty suitcase to find perfection?  We do have some next after next generation backpackers (scary thought) heading over but I doubt for various reasons any bottle would even reach Thailand- ah well. 

Ann, try ASDA. They have discontinued Scapegrace. Probably a bit too expensive at £40. It is being cleared at £30 and well worth it.