Scenic Cruises loses court case

I just heard on the News. Maybe it's old news but it should send a few ripples through the cruise industry.

Given the cost of Scenic Cruises and the way in which the impacted cruises were messed around with bus trips etc it's certainly a deserved victory. Just hope they eventually get their money.

I just heard on the News. Maybe it's old news but it should send a few ripples through the cruise industry.

Given the cost of Scenic Cruises and the way in which the impacted cruises were messed around with bus trips etc it's certainly a deserved victory. Just hope they eventually get their money.

No, it was on ABC TV News tonight. I was delighted to learn that Scenic Cruises lost the case. They deserved to loose the case, because they didn't show any respect to their passengers. Some other river cruises, at the time, chose to cancel their cruises, or gave passengers the choice to cancel their cruise, without penalty. Scenic lost a lot of goodwill by their actions, at the time. Now they will have a deserved financial penalty as well.

I don't think that the class action put up the money (bond ?) for the action to proceed.

I've had it on good authority it finished (I was told settled) but no idea of the terms. Once Carnival Corp got their order for security for costs it was on the cards it would fold, but no idea if Carnival gave them anything or settled on basis of each paying their own costs. But still tying to find out.

I've had it on good authority it finished (I was told settled) but no idea of the terms. Once Carnival Corp got their order for security for costs it was on the cards it would fold, but no idea if Carnival gave them anything or settled on basis of each paying their own costs. But still tying to find out.

No worries, that would make sense. Hope you can track it down.

If Scenic's Insurance company won't pay up, $16 Million could send Scenic down the proverbial gurgler. No doubt there will be an appeal lodged by Scenic's lawyers.:D

Strewth, I wish the media would stop calling these river boats 'Cruise ships,' they are goddam river boats.:evilsmile:

Anyway I hope those involved get their money eventually.

Scenic are amongst the highest priced of the river boat operators, but many Aussies seem to book with them. I prefer to be amongst a more international passenger complement. The river boats don't appeal to me greatly, still way overpriced for what they are, but if I did one it would be with Uniworld or Viking that attract an international passenger base. The 'boss wants to do one and keeps hammering me to do one, she can wait until I am on the big cruise ship in the sky.

As they'd want to.

It's not uncommon for a judgement to be overturned.

I'm a bit confused about the story though. The lead plaintiff said he was awarded ~12k back ostensibly as a full refund, but separately said the cruise cost $29k without flights. So some 'fact' appears to be incorrect. A partial refund would make more sense since the bulk of the product was delivered. Plus they're still meeting up in November, so it doesn't sound this has been fully determined.

If Scenic's Insurance company won't pay up, $16 Million could send Scenic down the proverbial gurgler. No doubt there will be an appeal lodged by Scenic's lawyers.:D

Strewth, I wish the media would stop calling these river boats 'Cruise ships,' they are goddam river boats.:evilsmile:

Scenic are amongst the highest priced of the river boat operators, but many Aussies seem to book with them. I prefer to be amongst a more international passenger complement. The river boats don't appeal to me greatly, still way overpriced for what they are, but if I did one it would be with Uniworld or Viking that attract an international passenger base. The 'boss wants to do one and keeps hammering me to do one, she can wait until I am on the big cruise ship in the sky.

Scenic may be the parent company but it was actually an Evergreen (Emerald if in Europe) cruise that started the action. This is the budget or cost saver equivalent for scenic. Mind you they are still expensive compared to ocean cruises.

As they'd want to.

It's not uncommon for a judgement to be overturned.

I'm a bit confused about the story though. The lead plaintiff said he was awarded ~12k back ostensibly as a full refund, but separately said the cruise cost $29k without flights. So some 'fact' appears to be incorrect. A partial refund would make more sense since the bulk of the product was delivered. Plus they're still meeting up in November, so it doesn't sound this has been fully determined.

And some would have travelled business class and had the best suites on the 'river boats.':loudcry: Big bikkies then, maybe 40K a couple.

Never heard of Scenic Cruises! Where do they cruise? What Rivers? What happened? Thanks

Scenic are tour operators, operating and chartering river boats in Europe and Asia, also coach tours around the world and package a lot of rail/cruise holidays in Canada - Rocky Mountains/Inside Passage, normally high priced.

The difference in price is Scenic is an ALL costs inclusive. Everything. Tips, top shelf alcohol, tours you name it. I'm currently on a Holland America cruise and am CONSTANTLY putting my hand in my pocket. I'd far rather pay upfront and sit back and enjoy knowing I don't have one more cent to pay except my own personal shopping.

The difference in price is Scenic is an ALL costs inclusive. Everything. Tips, top shelf alcohol, tours you name it. I'm currently on a Holland America cruise and am CONSTANTLY putting my hand in my pocket. I'd far rather pay upfront and sit back and enjoy knowing I don't have one more cent to pay except my own personal shopping.

Yes, they're just like luxury ocean lines e.g. Regent or Silverseas in that respect. And you pay similarly high prices for those ocean cruises as well. So it's not as though Scenic is especially dear, just it operates to a higher standard with more inclusion so costs more.

As for Scenic vs Viking, Scenic similarly offers more inclusions than Viking e.g. Gratuities included with Scenic, not viking, drinks all the time with Scenic, instead of only at meal times and more limited range with Viking and similarly limited excursions with Viking. That's not that one is 'better' but Scenic isn't overpriced. It's just the old rule of pay more, get more. Or... pay less, get less.

River cruises seem so much more expensive than ocean ones. Even allowing for the inclusiveness. But the only river cruise I fancy is one through France. Not interested in any other area. But price gets me every time I look.

They should have offered cancellations then those continuing did so at their own risk. I'd hate the trip they substituted.

River cruises seem so much more expensive than ocean ones. Even allowing for the inclusiveness. But the only river cruise I fancy is one through France. Not interested in any other area. But price gets me every time I look.

They should have offered cancellations then those continuing did so at their own risk. I'd hate the trip they substituted.

Totally agree with all your points. River cruise in France appeals. But next year on Adonia - small ship we go up the rivers into Bordeaux, Rouen, Seville etc, Even through a set of locks and have overnight stays at those ports and others. So we will pretend we are are on a river boat cruise, albeit at half the price and a lot more room and facilities. Adonia is Pacific Princess class - 600 to 700 pax.:halo:

The risk you take with river cruises, there may be substitutions for some sections.

All in the fine print. One of the issues that prevent me from booking one...uncertainty of sailing due to river levels, plus so many boats and companies now, they cancel if not enough pax. One needs a guaranteed departure.:halo: