Scenic Cruises loses court case

All in the fine print. One of the issues that prevent me from booking one...uncertainty of sailing due to river levels, plus so many boats and companies now, they cancel if not enough pax. One needs a guaranteed departure.:halo:

Agreed. They are also very expensive. We have done a lot of touring in Europe by motorhome and although the river boat would be a relaxing experience, I feel we might be a bit disappointed at what we would not be seeing.

River cruises seem so much more expensive than ocean ones. Even allowing for the inclusiveness. But the only river cruise I fancy is one through France. Not interested in any other area. But price gets me every time I look.

They should have offered cancellations then those continuing did so at their own risk. I'd hate the trip they substituted.

Doing the Chateaux & Vineyards with Uniworld --- love, love, wines. Luckily, we got a 2 for 1 deal on Tripadvisor--unheard of! Didn't pay through the nose.:lips-sealed:

• 2 weeks later...
Had a conversation today with someone who thinks Scenic hard done by in this case. They said people should have had adequate travel insurance so they could cancel. Not Scenic's fault at all.

That's a load of tosh. Insurance would not have covered this situation as the cruise wasn't cancelled so there are no grounds whatsoever where they could they make the claim.

That's a load of tosh. Insurance would not have covered this situation as the cruise wasn't cancelled so there are no grounds whatsoever where they could they make the claim.

That's what I said but no this person knows more. I walked away thinking why bother arguing with them as they think the world of Scenic and they can do no wrong.

That's what I said but no this person knows more. I walked away thinking why bother arguing with them as they think the world of Scenic and they can do no wrong.

Their loss then. They're gonna hate it when Scenic Insurance premiums rise and that's gonna increase the price of cruises. Love the karma in that!

The big winners are the lawyers and the insurers, the big losers are Scenic. And while the passengers may have got compensation they still had their holiday experience ruined so they may not be out of pocket, they didn't get their luxury cruise either and all that stress that followed.

• 1 year later...

We have done a few river cruises. The problems are not only high/low water that results in a tiring bus holiday often staying at hotels. You are often rafted when mooring between other ships with no view, daylight, or privacy. With so many ships now on the rivers sometimes you berth at an industrial port well out of town. The alternative is to arrange a drop off in the town and risk being able to get a taxi/uber back to the ship. The top deck is often closed as they collapse masts, rails etc to be able to get under some bridges.

Back to ocean cruises for us, much less expensive and reliable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cowes20 said:

We have done a few river cruises. The problems are not only high/low water that results in a tiring bus holiday often staying at hotels. You are often rafted when mooring between other ships with no view, daylight, or privacy. With so many ships now on the rivers sometimes you berth at an industrial port well out of town. The alternative is to arrange a drop off in the town and risk being able to get a taxi/uber back to the ship. The top deck is often closed as they collapse masts, rails etc to be able to get under some bridges.

Back to ocean cruises for us, much less expensive and reliable.

Interesting comments. We briefly considered going on a river cruise, but felt that they were expensive and maybe wouldn't offer us much. We have spent a total of more than six months independent travelling in Europe. The problems that brought about the current legal case gave us additional reasons to keep ocean cruising rather than river cruising. Cowes20 shows additional reasons. 😊

A river cruise only last week was turned into a coach holiday due to a lock being damaged and taking a while to fix. Have friends on board. 

do not know if compensation or alternative was offered. 

You know there’s an old saying “It ain’t over till the fat lady sings” well in law it’s often not even over then, when you take on a mega corporation appeals become almost certain. Often followed by a quiet settlement.

57 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

and no one is the wiser and precedents have not always been set.

A lot of settlements are hush money, other are P1$$ off money, cheaper to pay than to fight.