Itinerary changes due to Irma

jpodds

Hey Everybody...

I've been astounded by the pictures overnight from St. John's, Antigua and even more frightened by the pictures from St. Maarten. We are scheduled to stop in both of these ports in late January. Does anybody know how long it will take Celebrity to make itinerary changes, even for cruises over 100 days away? I can't imagine making port calls in either St. Johns or St. Maarten. I realize that they are probably very busy at corporate headquarters trying to reroute existing ships and deal with possible Florida port closings. Just wondered if this happened to anybody. We should all keep those battered by Irma in our thoughts and prayers....

I am on a cruise booked to St. Maarten and St. Kitt's and St. Thomas in January, also. I am hoping we will be able to dock or tender there and help the islanders out, either by tourism or just general helping. I would guess they (the ports) will do everything in their power to get us back to their islands, but that Celebrity will do what is best and safest for us all.

Such a horrible hurricane. :(

Edited by RoxiRoo
missed a few words!

We've got San Juan., St Thomas and St Maarten the beginning of March. I can see making San Juan and maybe St Thomas but St Maarten looks like it will take months if not years to just recover the waterfront. My wife and I would love to make it there regardless if for no other reason than to infuse some cash into the locals hands.

On a sort of related note, does Celebrity have a private island or do they share Labadee with RCL?

I've been to Labadee twice and never really liked it. They keep you on the property because it isn't safe for tourists 5 feet beyond the gate, and it's likely that Labadee will have some damage due to the storm also...

I've been to Labadee twice and never really liked it. They keep you on the property because it isn't safe for tourists 5 feet beyond the gate, and it's likely that Labadee will have some damage due to the storm also...

Yeah, I've never been thrilled with those kind of places. Not into zip lines or bouncing on giant trampolines in the water. Just thinking of where we might get rerouted if St Maarten isn't available in March. Kind of selfish of me I guess. :(

Sending tourist in St-martin in the foreseeable future will just aggravate the situation. We will be in the way while they are trying to recover. Nobody want to go while there is probably no taxis around? No sailboat or catamaran to cruise about the bay. Many people have no insurance and those who have will have to wait months if not years to get back on their feet. Remember Katrina? Many people are still living in difficult condition. Island life is difficult enough, getting a roofer, a framer or a plomber will be difficult. Most hotels are closed until early 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Assuming the various piers have not been damaged it would be unlikely that any cruise from January onward would be cancelled. While these islands have been hard hit they have shown a remarkable ability to rise from the ashes. They also recognize that much of their livelyhood is dependent on tourism.

Over the next few days we'll hear more. Right now the focus should be on the health and well being of the people affected by Irma. Reports should start to come out soon.

Hey Everybody...

I've been astounded by the pictures overnight from St. John's, Antigua and even more frightened by the pictures from St. Maarten. We are scheduled to stop in both of these ports in late January. Does anybody know how long it will take Celebrity to make itinerary changes, even for cruises over 100 days away? I can't imagine making port calls in either St. Johns or St. Maarten. I realize that they are probably very busy at corporate headquarters trying to reroute existing ships and deal with possible Florida port closings. Just wondered if this happened to anybody. We should all keep those battered by Irma in our thoughts and prayers....

All companies are probably making contingency plans as we speak. Those fortunate enough to secure a berth somewhere else are a step ahead. I can see many sea days, OBC or cancellation option going our way.

All companies are probably making contingency plans as we speak. Those fortunate enough to secure a berth somewhere else are a step ahead. I can see many sea days, OBC or cancellation option going our way.

Hurricane Charley hit the Cayman's in August 2004. We were one of the first ships back in February 2005. That can show you a timeline of how long it takes. We are doing Southern in January and at this time I expect to miss St, Martin, possibly Antigua and St. Lucia. We will just have to see. As for stopping and helping, today they need food, supplies and trained professionals. Not going to get that from a cruise ship load of tourists. There are of course several wonderful organizations that will gladly put your donations to good use. As for stops, the islands will open up when the local authorities think they can handle the ships and the cruise lines believe them. In the meantime, our prayers and best wishes to all the impacted areas home and abroad.

Assuming the various piers have not been damaged it would be unlikely that any cruise from January onward would be cancelled. While these islands have been hard hit they have shown a remarkable ability to rise from the ashes. They also recognize that much of their livelyhood is dependent on tourism.

Over the next few days we'll hear more. Right now the focus should be on the health and well being of the people affected by Irma. Reports should start to come out soon.

The resilience of the Caribbean islands is amazing....they are dependent on tourism and will welcome the cruise ships back asap. We cruise in March, if our itinerary is changed, no issues. If it isn't we will be delighted to show our support by visiting.

As RickT says the focus now should be on the safety and wellbeing of those affected...

We are also booked along with our friends for the Jan 20 repositioning cruise on the Summit. Leaving from San Juan to St Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Thomas and Nassau.....all in this monsters path of destruction. Feeling so sorry for the poor folks in all of these areas. The devastation looks awful. This was to be our friends first cruise. They're not wanting to go now. We will need to make our final payment in October. I've told them to hang tight and lets just wait and see what Celebrity says and what the news out of these areas looks like in the next few days.

I have the Equinox Sept 25! Sure we will have changed ports.

St Thomas

Tortola

St Johns

Barbados

St Lucia

St Maarten

We are all in the same boat (if you know what I mean) and just need to give them a few days or more to figure out the damage to those areas. A few of them have Jose heading there way also.

I have the Equinox Sept 25! Sure we will have changed ports.

St Thomas

Tortola

St Johns

Barbados

St Lucia

St Maarten

We are all in the same boat (if you know what I mean) and just need to give them a few days or more to figure out the damage to those areas. A few of them have Jose heading there way also.

We are on the same Sept 25 Equinox Cruise . I wonder how and when we will be notified of changes . Do you think we will definitely sail ?

We are on the same Sept 25 Equinox Cruise . I wonder how and when we will be notified of changes . Do you think we will definitely sail ?

I sure think so. They should be able to find us some ports to visit somewhere. Unless Miami port has major issues.

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Actually cruise ships have in the past provided food and supplies after natural disasters.

And remember that these islands will need tourism dollars as quickly as possible to pay for ruined infrastructure.

They will be anxious for our return.

France, the Netherland, UK and USA govt will provide the bulk of the $ for infrastructure, not tourism. Most people lost everything: cars, taxis, cube van, buses, house, paper, documentation. We are supposed to go to sxm, St-Thomas and Puerto Rico in Feb. I expect an extra sea day and an overnight in SAn Juan.

Hey Everybody...

We have St Maarten and Antigua on our Jan cruise as well with booked excursions.. Final payment due in mid Nov.

Not expecting St Maarten to be back that soon...many places no longer exist...Have to see what happens..,right now praying for those affected...

We have St Maarten and Antigua on our Jan cruise as well with booked excursions.. Final payment due in mid Nov.

Not expecting St Maarten to be back that soon...many places no longer exist...Have to see what happens..,right now praying for those affected...

Are you on Reflection on January 19th????

Is it just me or are other posters amazed that people are worrying now what will happen to their sailings for next year! There are many more scheduled sailings to these islands well before 2018. Surely it would be wiser to let those affected by this hurricane catch their breath, and allow X to take stock of an ongoing situation before we start worrying how next year's itineraries will likely be altered. Perhaps it's just me :confused:?

I am on the 15th, do not expect anything until we actually see where the hurricane hits. Wouldn't expect anything befor Sunday or Monday