What happens (after hurricane Irma) if the Fort Lauderdale port has damage?

Srkm97

we are suppose to sail out of Fort Lauderdale sept 16th and of course we are hoping hurricane Irma turns and misses Florida completely, but if it doesn't will the cruise ships still expect to continue? Anyone had this happen to them before?

Sitting here in Tampa bay I continue to prep for storm with one eye ready to bug out . I can say while it's still uncertain where it will hit , most of the tracks are going to wack ft lauderdale .. the best case would be staying close to shore and going up the coast line , come in mid and veering east would be the worst case Scenario.. the infrastructure supporting the port and surrounding area going to be hit hard ..

Post Irma you can keep an eye on the Port Everglades website (http://www.porteverglades.net) for status reports. Port Everglades, as the "leading container port in Florida and among the most active cargo ports in the United States...and South Florida’s main seaport for receiving petroleum products including, gasoline and jet fuel," may need to give priority to relief and commercial shipping.

Thanks for all the answers. We are coming from Vancouver bc and are suppose to fly out the 14th. i Kind of figured it will all be canceled and it should be. Priority for everyone there should be the clean up and helping each other not getting people on their cruise for vacation. I just wish the cruise lines would cancel and let us book else where. Well that's my 2 cents.

You can bet your behind that they will do everything possible to get people on the ships. Even if Ft Lauderdale and Miami ports sustain damage they could in theory have you sail out of Tampa or Port Canaveral. Certainly they all will not sustain the kind of damage to close all the ports.

Thanks for all the answers. We are coming from Vancouver bc and are suppose to fly out the 14th. i Kind of figured it will all be canceled and it should be. Priority for everyone there should be the clean up and helping each other not getting people on their cruise for vacation. I just wish the cruise lines would cancel and let us book else where. Well that's my 2 cents.

Carnival seems to be trying to give everyone 48 hours notice. So if your cruise is set to depart 9/16 by 4 pm, you should know by 9/14 at 4 pm about the status of the cruise. Flights are a different matter...and if you are leaving before 4 pm, then you might need to use your best judgment.

The OP is asking a great question. Yes, port repairs can be made, but if the infrastructure around the port is taken out, an open port isn't worth much. Weather Channel was just saying that after the cruise lines disembarked thousands of passengers early ahead of Irma, that now the airports are telling people if they cannot get a flight, and many can't due to cancellations, they will have to leave the airport before it closes because, as the airports are saying, "we are not shelters." It sounds like many of those disembarked cruise passengers could end up in shelters.

When Hurricane Ike hit Galveston, I believe it took the Port of Galveston some 5 or 6 weeks to repair and start sailing again. For those weeks when the Port of Galveston was in repair, sailings used the Houston Bayport Terminal. It is a nice terminal, that is something that could be used in an emergency for some cruises.......just a thought.

The storm is almost the size of Texas...its not missing FL

Texas is 842 miles wide at it's widest point. Irma is reported to be ~500 miles wide.

Such a right fighter! The post read "almost". But thank you for clarifying that for everyone. Sheeesh......

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Edited by beachgoddess
Edit post

The storm is almost the size of Texas...its not missing FL

Texas is 842 miles wide at it's widest point. Irma is reported to be ~500 miles wide.

Such a right fighter! The post read "almost". But thank you for clarifying that for everyone. Sheeesh......

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I work in aviation so we are also obviously tracking these storms very closely. Latest models are now showing Irma taking a more westernly turn and has the eye going right up the middle of the Florida penisula and then turning west away inland. Jose does not seem to be a threat to anywhere but possibly Bermuda at this time. Of course, this could all still change.

We are preparing for airports and FBOs/Hangars to be potentially closed for several days after the storm. Many factors will impact these facilities' (including the ports and cruise terminals) abilities to operate such as staffing (many employees may have evacuated or are dealing with damage to the homes/vehicles etc.), supplies (can needed supplies fuel, food, etc. get to these places), electricity, damage to the facilities, roads, surrounding areas etc., and many others.

I hope everyone is in "plan for the worst, hope for the best" mode. Things are just so uncertain right now. I hope that everyone in the path of this storm stays safe!

The OP is asking a great question. Yes, port repairs can be made, but if the infrastructure around the port is taken out, an open port isn't worth much. Weather Channel was just saying that after the cruise lines disembarked thousands of passengers early ahead of Irma, that now the airports are telling people if they cannot get a flight, and many can't due to cancellations, they will have to leave the airport before it closes because, as the airports are saying, "we are not shelters." It sounds like many of those disembarked cruise passengers could end up in shelters.

NCL also shortened cruises that began last weekend, but they gave their cruisers the choice of disembarking in FLL or MIA and trying to make it home on their pown, or remain on the ship for a Cruise To Nowhere but away from IRMA. Did Carnival offer the same choice?

I thought the same thing as Winddawn when I saw TV coverage of cruisers lining up for any available scarce air tickets out of Florida airports. I knew from friends and relatives in south Florida that seats were already scarce on Tuesday, and now the crush of additional demand from departing cruisers on Thursday were just adding to the problem.

I do hope that those who left ships on Thursday in Florida and went to the airports will find a way to be safe.

If I were on a shortened Labor Day cruise, I would have chosen to remain on the ship if offered that choice.

NCL also shortened cruises that began last weekend, but they gave their cruisers the choice of disembarking in FLL or MIA and trying to make it home on their pown, or remain on the ship for a Cruise To Nowhere but away from IRMA. Did Carnival offer the same choice?

I thought the same thing as Winddawn when I saw TV coverage of cruisers lining up for any available scarce air tickets out of Florida airports. I knew from friends and relatives in south Florida that seats were already scarce on Tuesday, and now the crush of additional demand from departing cruisers on Thursday were just adding to the problem.

I do hope that those who left ships on Thursday in Florida and went to the airports will find a way to be safe.

If I were on a shortened Labor Day cruise, I would have chosen to remain on the ship if offered that choice.

A friend of mine is on Breakaway. They were told not to get off the ship unless they lived in the area, already had a flight home, or had a car at the port with a full tank of gas. They gave them free internet on the way back to port. Personally, I would have just stayed on the ship as well.