Caribbean ports changed due to storm damage?

kingstonKouple72

Dutch news have reported that the damage is more extensive than first thought. Nine out of ten houses have sustained damage, with a third destroyed. The Dutch side has sustained (slightly) less damage than the French. Estimated will take 2 years plus to rebuild completely. Dan highlights enormity of social and economic reconstruction challenges.

Good day dutchclog, hopes everything good on your side (we met aboard Constellation aug last year)

Anybody who knows French politic understand the amount of red tape, paperwork, that resident will have to go thru. Don't know about the Dutch side to form an opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They need to focus on food and other relief supply deliveries, water processing, power generation, sewage disposal, , medical, housing, schools, clearing debris, removing unsafe structures, restoring civil order.. etc

Doubt our cruise will stop there in Jan....we were looking foward to going back, specifically to Grand Case, but it like many areas seems to be total shambles,

100%

Wallie,

Since our cruise was planned for St. Maarten and some other places very badly hit by the hurricane, we anticipate going to around 3 different islands than was originally planned. Celebrity hasn't announced any changes yet though, so we were wondering how difficult it is to plan excursions on those new islands? Or, since it's going to be last minute, do most cruisers just wing it and find something to do or a beach to go to the day they get to the island?

This is our second cruise so we are new to being redirected. Our first cruise we planned way ahead of time with excursions and whatnot, so we are just wondering what to expect and how other people handle it. This will be our honeymoon, so I want it to be special and still have some fun things to do on the islands!

Thanks

This is our second cruise so we are new to being redirected. Our first cruise we planned way ahead of time with excursions and whatnot, so we are just wondering what to expect and how other people handle it. This will be our honeymoon, so I want it to be special and still have some fun things to do on the islands!

Thanks

Celebrity like most cruise lines has contacts for excursions in every port throughout the Caribbean and will be working with them the moment the smoke has cleared from Irma and new itineraries are being worked out.

Nobody knows for sure what the new routes will be but now that Celebrity and others are back at work these changes will be forthcoming and we all hope they will be acceptable.

I doubt they will bring ships into any port that isn't ready and am sure that excursions will be plentiful as always and easily booked before and during your cruise.

Best Wishes and have a wonderful Honeymoon.

bosco

Grand Case (Sorry) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9eul0EKAZE

In St-Barth, close to 2500 vehicles are damaged or out of service. Some resident think that at least 3 years will be needed to go back to normal (if there is no new hurricane by then)

Thanks for the link...so tragic...but the beauty of the location and strength of the good people there will eventually bring it back.....long road ahead!

A coworker has family in St. Thomas and a family member that works for the public works there. They are estimating that it may be 8 to 10 MONTHS before power is fully restored to all of St. Thomas. I imagine the tourist areas will be the priority, but the damage was devastating.

What I'm getting from news and these boards is that we may see piers and near port facilities revived over the next several months but beyond that will be much longer. So IF ships were to stop at St Thomas and St Maarten by January for example, don't expect the gamut of old excursions if any at all.

That would work for us since our intention would be just to stay in Charlotte-Amalie and Philipsburg and spend at local businesses.

Am I misreading things?

For everyone saying they are "worried" about their cruise - are you listening to yourselves? People are worried about where they are going to sleep; where they are going to get some water to drink or food to eat; worried about what's next in their lives. You're worried about where your cruise ship is going? Unbelievable.

What I'm getting from news and these boards is that we may see piers and near port facilities revived over the next several months but beyond that will be much longer. So IF ships were to stop at St Thomas and St Maarten by January for example, don't expect the gamut of old excursions if any at all.

That would work for us since our intention would be just to stay in Charlotte-Amalie and Philipsburg and spend at local businesses.

Am I misreading things?

Yes. In St. Maarten I would imagine that the pier area and all the shops that were there would be a priority for rebuild so that the locals who own those businesses could start getting tourist dollars again. Beaches will likely be cleaned up quickly so that people can use them. I would imagine that within 2 months that there could be small vendors set up on those beaches. But even if not cruise pax could still pack a beach bag and lay out a towel on a beautiful beach without all sorts of services around. Hotels, resorts, restaurants and big stores will clearly take much longer. The tourist spots have to get up to speed quickly as that is how so many of these islanders make money. St. Maarten is also a key port for cruise lines. There are sometimes 6 ships in port at one time and nearly every E. Caribbean itinerary includes it. You can bet that the cruiselines will be pumping money into the island to get it up and running as soon as possible. They may limit the number of ships at first though. That probably would explain why NCL has moved out of the Eastern Caribbean until at least November as they tend to get lower priority in ports vs. RCCL and Carnival Corp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For everyone saying they are "worried" about their cruise - are you listening to yourselves? People are worried about where they are going to sleep; where they are going to get some water to drink or food to eat; worried about what's next in their lives. You're worried about where your cruise ship is going? Unbelievable.

Well, this is a cruise site so it stands to reason that itineraries and the like would be discussed. It doesn't mean anyone here is a heartless grinch. During the current situation there isn't a whole lot we can do other than provide information to each other. We can contribute to some mega-foundation and hope that makes a difference or, as with my wife and I, wait until we get to the affected areas (this cruise or next) and contribute directly to the local economy.

Am I misreading things?

I just spoke with my travel agent and she has been in contact with people at both Royal Caribbean and Carnival. No final decisions will be made until mid to late December. RCCL is beginning contingency planning in Martinique and Guadeloupe, and I'm pretty sure that Equinox rerouted there this week. Do those two islands even have docking facilities for larger ships? Maybe tenders might be an option...

I know we all want to know, but I find it funny that those cruising next year are the ones mostly asking and wondering.

I leave on Sept 25, supposedly to the Eastern Caribbean. I plan to just wait and see. I have no excursions planned so no issues there.

Que sara sara! Always loved that song. ❤️

I know we all want to know, but I find it funny that those cruising next year are the ones mostly asking and wondering.

I leave on Sept 25, supposedly to the Eastern Caribbean. I plan to just wait and see. I have no excursions planned so no issues there.

"...the future's not ours to see..." But we do love to speculate on it. :)

We have tight limitations when it comes to selecting vacation time and must put in the entire next year's vacation request by the end of September. We have for the past 18 years had to plan our cruises almost a year in advance in some cases and have had our itineraries changed a few times..

But as you say "Que sara sara!" and we have enjoyed whatever was to be.. LOL

bosco

Change of itin is the Subject title of this thread...hence the discussion.

Some of us have to make our final payments very soon...so it is helpful ti know where we might be going. Seeking and sharing info, does not mean we have no compassion for all those affected....in Fla and the Caribbean

Why did you read through?

Your answer is easy. In 2 weeks , no st Martin, no st Thomas, no St. John, no Tortola, no virgin gorda and no Jost van dyke. The further out is tougher as how fast is the rebuild. Probably 1-2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It'll be a phased recovery for sure. Have to get past the local societal crises first.

I just spoke with my travel agent and she has been in contact with people at both Royal Caribbean and Carnival. No final decisions will be made until mid to late December. RCCL is beginning contingency planning in Martinique and Guadeloupe, and I'm pretty sure that Equinox rerouted there this week. Do those two islands even have docking facilities for larger ships? Maybe tenders might be an option...

We were at Martinique on Equinox, Jan 2016. It was quite a pleasant surprise and one of our fav ports.

We were docked right in the city. We took a ship's excursion with a great English speaking guide....It was a comprehensive walking tour,..great places to see, friendly people, nice shopping ( no junk)...We ended off with a nice cafe lunch overlooking the fort and a seaside park.. Would be great to return. Our dtr once stopped at Guadaloupe and did not like it but we love nature so it would work for us,,,never been there

Sorry for the damaged ports and suffering inhabitants. but hope we are re routed to places that are safe and sanitary in 2018, and can then enjoy the re built ports in 2019.

Thank you. Well said. These islands are devastated.

Thank you. Well said. These islands are devastated.

We all have empathy for the victims of Irma but it becomes more difficult when we see videos of looters with non-essentials. I have no problem with a mother taking diapers and formula during an emergency like this. But as I recall the jewelry and electronics stores ,etc, on Front St don't carry Pampers.

I spoke with Michael club concierge this morning. The Miami office just modified the Sept 15th itinerary today (replaced Key West with Falmouth) and they are working on the 25th. Hopefully we will know the new itinaerary soon.

The port of call affected will receive tourists when they are ready. France, nd, UK, etc, have said they will take care of rebuilding the infrastructure and help individual. I don't see government rebuilding businesses, apart maybe extending no interest loan. People and business over there have a choice - either stay or go back to the continent with the family.

As for alternative port of call, it also depends the length of your cruise and your departure port. Martinique is a nice island but too far for a 7 day cruise from Florida unless you have 5 sea days. Correct me if I'm wrong. At-kitts make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is much too early to know when ports affected by Irma will be functional again. It may take a week or two to get accurate official estimates.

But even if a port is open, there are still questions to be answered about what tourist sites will be functional at that time. I'm sure Diamonds International will get back in business ASAP, but it is too soon to know whether attractions such as the Butterfly Farm, the America's Cup regatta, the St. Maarten Zoo, Orient Beach, the town of Marigot, etc. will be available.

WOW, just imagine a world without DI! Not sure some cruisers would ever recover from the trauma, but for most of the world it would be a nothing issue. As to St Maarten (a place we really enjoy and have stayed in rented condos) the situation is really grim. It is apparently going to take another 2000 French soldiers to just restore some law and order and stop the looting. They will have their hands full getting enough of the island rebuilt in time for the winter 2019 season. But we have faith that within a few years the island will be better then ever :).

Hank