next cruise in a handicap room

I am starting to think about booking a cruise for next year. Due to DW's health issues, it might be time for us to consider a handicap stateroom.

I am wondering how much more a handicap room is compared to a non handicap room in the same category.

Also, does anyone know how much a scooter rental is for a 7 night cruise.

I am starting to think about booking a cruise for next year. Due to DW's health issues, it might be time for us to consider a handicap stateroom.

I am wondering how much more a handicap room is compared to a non handicap room in the same category.

Accessible staterooms are the same cost as non-accessible staterooms in the same category.

Check out scooter rentals:

scootaround.com

specialneedsatsea.com

About scooters, I talked a lady on a recent cruise who was using one. She rents, but figures that in 3 rentals, she has paid for one.

Nice thing about renting though is the delivery and pick up right at the cruise ship.

I always bring my own scooter. The airline flies it for free. The Go-Go Traveler without arms will fit through a standard door, if you take the arms off. It is very tight but doable. In 2 weeks I will have my first handicapped room so I can answer more after October 1st

Nice thing about renting though is the delivery and pick up right at the cruise ship.

That's true - plus I think the lady was somewhat off in her figures. The cost to rent is in the neighborhood of $200 for a 7 day cruise, while the purchase price runs around $1,600. Now if she will use it at home as well, it might be worthwhile to purchase.

Definitely book as far in advance as possible as the accessible cabins go fast!

can these scooters be used out doors or are they just for in door use?

My wife had to rent one a few years back after foot surgery and we took it off the ship a few times in the main port areas. Anything further than that we used a smaller knee scooter. No local transportation could handle a bigger scooter. It is a bit of a challenge driving on/off gangway.

can these scooters be used out doors or are they just for in door use?

as a general rule scooters are safe for outdoor use with the proper precautions taken regarding keeping the battery and controls dry.

one thing you need to do is get her used to driving one LONG before you go on a cruise. they are NOT that easy to operate especially turning. practice on the ones at the grocery store/ Wally World and Costco.

you also need to be aware of the battery life, how easy it breaks down and how well it operates on non standard paths( cobblestone roads, or on all uphills)

as a general rule scooters are safe for outdoor use with the proper precautions taken regarding keeping the battery and controls dry.

one thing you need to do is get her used to driving one LONG before you go on a cruise. they are NOT that easy to operate especially turning. practice on the ones at the grocery store/ Wally World and Costco.

you also need to be aware of the battery life, how easy it breaks down and how well it operates on non standard paths( cobblestone roads, or on all uphills)

good advice, thanks

I have rented a scooter four times. It depends what port but is usually at least $200. There are several things to think about, no crew member is allowed to help with the scooter, trying to get it up or down the gangway, etc. It has to be in your cabin, not in the hallway. If you leave it in the hallway you can come out of the cabin and find it gone. Even in an accessible cabin there is limited room for the scooter. Another problem many excursions don't allow them. Also in a port where you take a tender from the ship to the port you can't take a scooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about to have my first accessible cabin, the big issue re categories is in a normal cabin you can book a guarantee usually at the lowest price for that type of cabin, you can't do that with an accessible cabin.

Pointless me telling you scooter prices as mine are in Australia suffice to say the big plus is the delivery.

I have rented a scooter four times. It depends what port but is usually at least $200. There are several things to think about, no crew member is allowed to help with the scooter, trying to get it up or down the gangway, etc. It has to be in your cabin, not in the hallway. If you leave it in the hallway you can come out of the cabin and find it gone. Even in an accessible cabin there is limited room for the scooter. Another problem many excursions don't allow them. Also in a port where you take a tender from the ship to the port you can't take a scooter.

A scooter makes an otherwise impossible trip possible and allows a person to get around on a huge ship independently.

The crew helped my father with his scooter many times. He would drive to our table in the dining room and then they would get on and drive it to a parking spot out of the way. Same thing in the Windjammer. Getting off the ship if there was a sharp angle on the gangway they would help push it past the rough spot.

Definitely not allowed to leave it in the hallway outside the cabin. As far as having room in the cabin, if you have a balcony cabin the best advice is to get a room with the bed by the balcony door, not by the bathroom. This gives you an area to pull the scooter into the room and park it.

I agree the biggest problem is logistics for excursions. If you ride the scooter to the taxi cab or bus they usually can't take the scooter, and there is nowhere to leave it while you are touring. You might want to bring a transport chair for those trips. Or you can just scoot around the port area near the ship and not go on an excursion. My father was happy doing this.

The term handicapped is no longer acceptable.

sez who? I am handicapped. doesn't bother me in the least to see the term used, I do so my self all the time( except I usually refer to my self as broken)

its a helluva lot less asinine than 'differently abled' which was the buzzword a few years ago.